Live long and prosper. -- Spock, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Earbuds for laptop

SubjectAuthor
* Earbuds for laptopmicky
+* Re: Earbuds for laptopBig Al
|`* Re: Earbuds for laptopmicky
| `* Re: Earbuds for laptopJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|  `* Re: Earbuds for laptopmicky
|   +* Re: Earbuds for laptopJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|   |+- Re: Earbuds for laptopmicky
|   |`- Re: Earbuds for laptopmicky
|   `- Re: Earbuds for laptopmicky
`* Re: Earbuds for laptopPaul
 `- Re: Earbuds for laptopmicky

1
Earbuds for laptop

<8vs66hds7c4t0bap7lckgnmnhrus9f6mgv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61872&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61872

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Earbuds for laptop
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 06:42:24 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 03:42 UTC

I thought I brought a nifty mike/speakers to USB adapter with me. I was
sure of it, but I can't find it.

What I did learn is that I need headphones/earbuds with a TRRS plug, iow
for a phone, to use with the jack on the laptop. I jumped from the fact
that there is already a built in microphone to thinking I could use MP3
player earbuds. Not on this Acer.

Not sure if plugging in the headset does anything to disable the
built-in mike or enable the headset mike. It doesn't seem so.

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<t40on6$qht$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61877&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61877

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Earbuds for laptop
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 07:42:30 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:42 UTC

On 4/22/22 23:42, this is what micky wrote:
> I thought I brought a nifty mike/speakers to USB adapter with me. I was
> sure of it, but I can't find it.
>
> What I did learn is that I need headphones/earbuds with a TRRS plug, iow
> for a phone, to use with the jack on the laptop. I jumped from the fact
> that there is already a built in microphone to thinking I could use MP3
> player earbuds. Not on this Acer.
>
> Not sure if plugging in the headset does anything to disable the
> built-in mike or enable the headset mike. It doesn't seem so.
Have you tried any of the bluetooth earbugs. I got two pair, different fit in the ear, and they work great.
Unfortunately I haven't tried the mike part yet but the earbuds do have a mike since they are for a phone too.

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<t40qir$1pku$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61878&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61878

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 08:14:19 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:14 UTC

On 4/22/2022 11:42 PM, micky wrote:
> I thought I brought a nifty mike/speakers to USB adapter with me. I was
> sure of it, but I can't find it.
>
> What I did learn is that I need headphones/earbuds with a TRRS plug, iow
> for a phone, to use with the jack on the laptop. I jumped from the fact
> that there is already a built in microphone to thinking I could use MP3
> player earbuds. Not on this Acer.
>
> Not sure if plugging in the headset does anything to disable the
> built-in mike or enable the headset mike. It doesn't seem so.

Proof of that, might be the markings next to the jack,
plus there being only one jack.

If you have a Microphone Jack and a Headphone Jack, then
they're more likely to be TRS.

If it is TRRS, it could be the wiring pattern that is wrong.

Or alternately, the expectation of something other than an
electret for a microphone (laptop puts DC bias on microphone
pin if electret). Some sound chips have "digital" microphone
inputs. There was never any sign of those being used
external to the equipment.

You'd think if the squirrels did something stupid, there would
be documentation.

With USB, there's only one wiring pattern. Bonus.

Such a scheme would also foul up HDAudio, which has no
expectation of TRRS. You'd have to rig it, so it appeared
two jack side contacts closed at the same time. the mechanism
does not lend itself to arbitrary Ports declaring they are
being used. Independent side contacts could do that, but the
digital encoding does not mean declaring Port D and Port H
being in use simultaneously would exactly be easy.

It would be easier to do on AC'97 audio, which has no jack sense.
All the complexity would hide in the driver. What chip manufacturer
is going to write that driver "for free" ?

So if there is such a beast, the chip must have been designed
from the get-go, to be using TRRS. In which case, getting a hardware
ID might help.

On AC'97, the PNP was a 12 bit code. I don't know if HDAudio
changed that idea or not. 4096 chip IDs runs out pretty quickly :-)
Maybe there was a central registry, but what organization would
that be ? Running a registry costs money.

I would say "contact Acer", but with their corporate arrangement
you might as well "contact a Martian". I doubt you could ever
find someone to answer a question.

I have an Acer here, and it has coaxial TOSLink on the analog connector :-)
I only figured that out one day, when my head was at table level
(perhaps picking something off the floor) and I could see red
light coming out of an audio jack. So yes, they are Squirrels.
Positive ID.

Paul

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<e50c6h1mis62rielpc1nhuh9onb9n7ket8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61908&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61908

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 05:13:59 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 02:13 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 07:42:30 -0400, Big Al
<Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 4/22/22 23:42, this is what micky wrote:
>> I thought I brought a nifty mike/speakers to USB adapter with me. I was
>> sure of it, but I can't find it.
>>
>> What I did learn is that I need headphones/earbuds with a TRRS plug, iow
>> for a phone, to use with the jack on the laptop. I jumped from the fact
>> that there is already a built in microphone to thinking I could use MP3
>> player earbuds. Not on this Acer.
>>
>> Not sure if plugging in the headset does anything to disable the
>> built-in mike or enable the headset mike. It doesn't seem so.
>Have you tried any of the bluetooth earbugs. I got two pair, different fit in the ear, and they work great.
>Unfortunately I haven't tried the mike part yet but the earbuds do have a mike since they are for a phone too.

I have some wired earbuds for the phone that I bought 2 or 3 years ago.
Very good price, and the insulation started breaking off a year ago.
1/2" sections with only wire, now 8 sections like that, and it's amazing
how thin the wire is underneath.

I bought them just in case, but now that I'm using them, I need some
that won't break any minute. (For one thing, I had the sound on so loud
at 11:30PM the upstairs n'bor complained, so I used the earbuds after
that. !! My gosh, it's 5AM and I'm using the speakers. I'm not quick
learner. And just as I wrote this there was knocking on the door, and
this time he was mad at me. I woke him up. And it's a work night. I feel
terrible. What can I buy him to make up for this?

Just today, earlier today, went to a big mall, the biggest fanciest
around here. First thing I see in the space between the stores would
be called a kiosk. They have earbuds with USB3, but none with 3.5mm
plugs. Say they don't think anyone sells them anymore. Next kiosk
pretty much the same thing, but then I found a store, and he had 3
qualities. I bought a pair from Sony, wire still thin but the
insulation reinforces it and probably won't fall off in only a year.

Now I regret a little bit not buying the ones sold at gas station
convenience stores. I'm not driving as much, taking the city bus or
walking, but I may buy some of those too. The wires looked thin to me
but they were thicker than what I just bought. (That means they won't
store in a little "thimble"-sized space, which has been nice for the
other ones, their taking up next to no space in the compartment at the
bottom of the car door.

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<tv0c6h564vqlirmlkp2b4odr3stnd18s23@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61909&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61909

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 05:16:30 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 02:16 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 08:14:19 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 4/22/2022 11:42 PM, micky wrote:
>> I thought I brought a nifty mike/speakers to USB adapter with me. I was
>> sure of it, but I can't find it.
>>
>> What I did learn is that I need headphones/earbuds with a TRRS plug, iow
>> for a phone, to use with the jack on the laptop. I jumped from the fact
>> that there is already a built in microphone to thinking I could use MP3
>> player earbuds. Not on this Acer.
>>
>> Not sure if plugging in the headset does anything to disable the
>> built-in mike or enable the headset mike. It doesn't seem so.
>>

>Proof of that, might be the markings next to the jack,
>plus there being only one jack.
>
>If you have a Microphone Jack and a Headphone Jack, then
>they're more likely to be TRS.

No, just one jack. Those designers are so clever, I thought it would be
compatible with both.

>If it is TRRS, it could be the wiring pattern that is wrong.
>
>Or alternately, the expectation of something other than an
>electret for a microphone (laptop puts DC bias on microphone
>pin if electret). Some sound chips have "digital" microphone
>inputs. There was never any sign of those being used
>external to the equipment.
>
>You'd think if the squirrels did something stupid, there would
>be documentation.
>
>With USB, there's only one wiring pattern. Bonus.
>
>Such a scheme would also foul up HDAudio, which has no
>expectation of TRRS. You'd have to rig it, so it appeared
>two jack side contacts closed at the same time. the mechanism
>does not lend itself to arbitrary Ports declaring they are
>being used. Independent side contacts could do that, but the
>digital encoding does not mean declaring Port D and Port H
>being in use simultaneously would exactly be easy.
>
>It would be easier to do on AC'97 audio, which has no jack sense.
>All the complexity would hide in the driver. What chip manufacturer
>is going to write that driver "for free" ?
>
>So if there is such a beast, the chip must have been designed
>from the get-go, to be using TRRS. In which case, getting a hardware
>ID might help.
>
>On AC'97, the PNP was a 12 bit code. I don't know if HDAudio
>changed that idea or not. 4096 chip IDs runs out pretty quickly :-)
>Maybe there was a central registry, but what organization would
>that be ? Running a registry costs money.
>
>I would say "contact Acer", but with their corporate arrangement
>you might as well "contact a Martian". I doubt you could ever
>find someone to answer a question.

LOL

>I have an Acer here, and it has coaxial TOSLink on the analog connector :-)
>I only figured that out one day, when my head was at table level
>(perhaps picking something off the floor) and I could see red
>light coming out of an audio jack. So yes, they are Squirrels.
>Positive ID.
>
> Paul

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<yxj8Lq7E5oZiFwe1@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61912&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61912

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:04:20 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:04 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 at 05:13:59, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 07:42:30 -0400, Big Al
><Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>On 4/22/22 23:42, this is what micky wrote:
>>> I thought I brought a nifty mike/speakers to USB adapter with me. I was
>>> sure of it, but I can't find it.
>>>
>>> What I did learn is that I need headphones/earbuds with a TRRS plug, iow
>>> for a phone, to use with the jack on the laptop. I jumped from the fact
>>> that there is already a built in microphone to thinking I could use MP3
>>> player earbuds. Not on this Acer.

You mean the Acer laptop doesn't _have_ 3.5mm sockets for
mic/headphones? I'll have to keep an eye out for that next time I buy a
laptop!

>>> Not sure if plugging in the headset does anything to disable the
>>> built-in mike or enable the headset mike. It doesn't seem so.

(Hmm, Id have assumed it would, but never really thought about it for
the mic.; it usually does for the speakers.)

>>Have you tried any of the bluetooth earbugs. I got two pair,
>>different fit in the ear, and they work great.
>>Unfortunately I haven't tried the mike part yet but the earbuds do
>>have a mike since they are for a phone too.
>
>I have some wired earbuds for the phone that I bought 2 or 3 years ago.
>Very good price, and the insulation started breaking off a year ago.

Do you think it's because you've been using them - i. e. just repeated
flexing has done for the flexibility of the insulation - or do you think
it has decayed, i. e. the plasticiser has evaporated (making them
brittle) so would have happened anyway?

Sometime in the last year or so, just looking round a poundshop, I saw
some earphones for 50p - new! I bought a pair, wondering just how grotty
they would be to be sold new at that price; I was favourably surprised.
OK, they're not perfect - little things like they're not identified so I
had to work out for myself which was left and right, and I think the
joints (where the wires disappear into the units) might be a weak point
- but certainly, if someone had told me they cost five pounds, I'd have
believed it, and next time I went back I bought all the ones they had
left.

>1/2" sections with only wire, now 8 sections like that, and it's amazing
>how thin the wire is underneath.

It's probably multistrand for flexibility, which will make the
individual strands very fine.

>I bought them just in case, but now that I'm using them, I need some
>that won't break any minute. (For one thing, I had the sound on so loud
>at 11:30PM the upstairs n'bor complained, so I used the earbuds after
>that. !! My gosh, it's 5AM and I'm using the speakers. I'm not quick
>learner. And just as I wrote this there was knocking on the door, and
>this time he was mad at me. I woke him up. And it's a work night. I feel
>terrible. What can I buy him to make up for this?

(Reminds me of a very old sketch - Tony Hancock's "The Radio Ham"!) No
suggestions for the gift, but I'd set a reminder on the PC to plug in
the 'phones/'buds at whatever time in the evenings appropriate. (I use
System Scheduler https://www.splinterware.com/products/scheduler.html
which I brought over from XP, because I'm used to it; if you're happy
with Windows' built-in one, fine. There are plenty of other such too;
that one suits me fine - I use it for example to remind me to take my
insulin at midnight.)

>Just today, earlier today, went to a big mall, the biggest fanciest
>around here. First thing I see in the space between the stores would
>be called a kiosk. They have earbuds with USB3, but none with 3.5mm
>plugs. Say they don't think anyone sells them anymore. Next kiosk

Well, they probably cater mainly to 'phone users, if they're like such
kiosks/stalls here (stall festooned with 'phone cases in many designs?),
and more modern 'phones (especially Apple) _are_ moving away from the
standard connectors; if you have your local equivalent of our
poundshops, try those.

>pretty much the same thing, but then I found a store, and he had 3
>qualities. I bought a pair from Sony, wire still thin but the
>insulation reinforces it and probably won't fall off in only a year.
>
>Now I regret a little bit not buying the ones sold at gas station
>convenience stores. I'm not driving as much, taking the city bus or
>walking, but I may buy some of those too. The wires looked thin to me
>but they were thicker than what I just bought. (That means they won't
>store in a little "thimble"-sized space, which has been nice for the
>other ones, their taking up next to no space in the compartment at the
>bottom of the car door.

The very fine ones do tend to get irretrievably tangled more easily (-:

Q. How much is 2 + 2?
A. Thank you so much for asking your question.
Are you still having this problem? I'll be delighted to help you. Please
restate the problem twice and include your Windows version along with
all error logs.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2018-11-1

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<nebd6hhk95hf0tvqjdkl0ac5bdo5nu4muf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61916&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61916

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 22:33:28 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:33 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:04:20 +0100, "J. P.
Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 at 05:13:59, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote
>(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 07:42:30 -0400, Big Al
>><Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>You mean the Acer laptop doesn't _have_ 3.5mm sockets for
>mic/headphones? I'll have to keep an eye out for that next time I buy a
>laptop!

This one has only one socket but it's several years old. My friend used
it for his business and gave it to me about 10 months ago.

It's E5 or E15-73-35AQ. Both are on the label. I don't know how it can
be E5 and E15 at the same time.

>(Hmm, Id have assumed it would, but never really thought about it for
>the mic.; it usually does for the speakers.)

In one particular situation, I think it was, when I was using a
bluetooth speaker and I plugged in the earbuds, iirc I had to go to
Sound to switch to the earbuds, but if I were using the built-in
speakers I bet that would not be necessary.

I was on a zoom meeting with the built-in mike recently and it worked
fine, but anything more complicated than that was months ago. I believe
a USB mike/speaker worked well. And when I wanted to use amplified
speakers with a TRRS plug on them, I got a thing the size of a postage
stamp, plugged it into USB and it had mike and speaker outputs. I only
used the speakers.

Now I realize a TRS to TRRS adapter would have worked also.

>>>Have you tried any of the bluetooth earbugs. I got two pair,
>>>different fit in the ear, and they work great.
>>>Unfortunately I haven't tried the mike part yet but the earbuds do
>>>have a mike since they are for a phone too.
>>
>>I have some wired earbuds for the phone that I bought 2 or 3 years ago.
>>Very good price, and the insulation started breaking off a year ago.
>
>Do you think it's because you've been using them - i. e. just repeated
>flexing has done for the flexibility of the insulation - or do you think
>it has decayed, i. e. the plasticiser has evaporated (making them
>brittle) so would have happened anyway?

Definitely not the first. I'd only used them for 1 to 3 hours total, and
I never bent them tightly. After I liked the first set, I bought the
last 2 or 3 sets he had. I think that's a reason they were so cheap and
he, an ebay guy iirc, wasn't stocking them anymore because of
complaints, or he used one and found the same problem.

>Sometime in the last year or so, just looking round a poundshop, I saw
>some earphones for 50p - new! I bought a pair, wondering just how grotty
>they would be to be sold new at that price; I was favourably surprised.
>OK, they're not perfect - little things like they're not identified so I
>had to work out for myself which was left and right, and I think the
>joints (where the wires disappear into the units) might be a weak point
>- but certainly, if someone had told me they cost five pounds, I'd have
>believed it, and next time I went back I bought all the ones they had
>left.

In the USA, 40 years ago, they had 69 cent stores, at least in NYC. For
the last 20 years, dollar stores have been burgeoning here. (One chain
charges a dollar for everything, another charges up to 10 dollars, maybe
more, and I can't keep track of smaller chains or, if any, independents.

But in the flea market section of NYC 40 years ago, Chambers St., I
found double edged razors for only 10 cents each. 10 cents wasn't any
money then either. I bought two, liked them and went back and bought
10 more. I thought that should be enough. But they were all plastic
and eventually all but one broke or got lost (one or two might be in
suitcases.) I with I'd bought 30 more.

By double edged I don't mean two edges facing the same direcction. I
mean this: https://battlebrothers.com/products/double-edge-razor-blades

The others are called twin-blades iirc and while they are great for not
cutting the skin, they don't do as close a job iirc .

But when I used my father's all metal double edge razor, I sometimes cut
myself. Then I used my college roommate's with a plastic handle and it
worked better. Finally all-plastic worked best, I don't know why.

I looked to buy more years ago without success. A few years later, I
noticed them in use in medical offices to shave some place where there
will be surgery, or even an EKG. I would ask for a few, but I have a
beard now.

When double edge blades were becoming hard to get, I found 100 for sale
on ebay from Turkey for a good price. Much cheaper than the 28 dollars
in the ad above. 200 were only a little more. Maybe $10 for 100 and
14 for 200, but if turkey is switching to those new fancy blades, my
kind of blade may be getting harder to get. So I have 180 of those, and
I still have one all-plastic razor.

Do you think blades get dull just sitting there?

>>1/2" sections with only wire, now 8 sections like that, and it's amazing
>>how thin the wire is underneath.
>
>It's probably multistrand for flexibility, which will make the
>individual strands very fine.

Yes, but it still seems likely to fail, especially without the vinyl to
hold it together.

>>I bought them just in case, but now that I'm using them, I need some
>>that won't break any minute. (For one thing, I had the sound on so loud
>>at 11:30PM the upstairs n'bor complained, so I used the earbuds after
>>that. !! My gosh, it's 5AM and I'm using the speakers. I'm not quick
>>learner. And just as I wrote this there was knocking on the door, and
>>this time he was mad at me. I woke him up. And it's a work night. I feel
>>terrible. What can I buy him to make up for this?

I went to the grocery store just for this reason today. I would have
ggone to a bakery but I don't know any around here. The supermarket had
only 1, maybe two kinds of cake, so I bought one, about $17. Everything
is expensive here. I got back at 5 and waitd until 6:50 when I thought
it likely he'd be home, and he was. I offered him the cake but turned
me down because one of his kids has celiac disease. I thought it was
all whipped "cream" and custard, but he lives here and knows better.

So now I have a whole cake to eat myself.

>(Reminds me of a very old sketch - Tony Hancock's "The Radio Ham"!) No
>suggestions for the gift, but I'd set a reminder on the PC to plug in
>the 'phones/'buds at whatever time in the evenings appropriate. (I use
>System Scheduler https://www.splinterware.com/products/scheduler.html
>which I brought over from XP, because I'm used to it; if you're happy
>with Windows' built-in one, fine. There are plenty of other such too;
>that one suits me fine - I use it for example to remind me to take my
>insulin at midnight.)
>>
>>Just today, earlier today, went to a big mall, the biggest fanciest
>>around here. First thing I see in the space between the stores would
>>be called a kiosk. They have earbuds with USB3, but none with 3.5mm
>>plugs. Say they don't think anyone sells them anymore. Next kiosk
>
>Well, they probably cater mainly to 'phone users, if they're like such
>kiosks/stalls here (stall festooned with 'phone cases in many designs?),
>and more modern 'phones (especially Apple) _are_ moving away from the
>standard connectors; if you have your local equivalent of our
>poundshops, try those.
>
>>pretty much the same thing, but then I found a store, and he had 3
>>qualities. I bought a pair from Sony, wire still thin but the
>>insulation reinforces it and probably won't fall off in only a year.
>>
>>Now I regret a little bit not buying the ones sold at gas station
>>convenience stores. I'm not driving as much, taking the city bus or
>>walking, but I may buy some of those too. The wires looked thin to me
>>but they were thicker than what I just bought. (That means they won't
>>store in a little "thimble"-sized space, which has been nice for the
>>other ones, their taking up next to no space in the compartment at the
>>bottom of the car door.
>
>The very fine ones do tend to get irretrievably tangled more easily (-:

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Earbuds for laptop

<nWwJyGELXwZiFwed@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61917&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61917

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:34:19 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:34 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 at 22:33:28, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
[]
>In one particular situation, I think it was, when I was using a
>bluetooth speaker and I plugged in the earbuds, iirc I had to go to
>Sound to switch to the earbuds, but if I were using the built-in
>speakers I bet that would not be necessary.

I think as far as software (including Windows) is concerned, there is
the built-in hardware, and/or bluetooth, and/or USB. (And from Windows 7
on you can use special routing such that communications - Skype, Zoom,
etc. - use different hardware from the main sound output - mainly so you
can use a headset with mike for communications.) But the "built-in
hardware" - on a laptop at least - has _mechanical_ switches in the
sockets - the power from the internal amplifier is routed to the
internal speakers via the sockets, and if you plug in external speakers
(or headphones or earbuds), the internal speakers are cut off - much
like plugging in the earphone in an old transistor radio or the
headphones on an old hifi. The software does not "know" whether the
internal amplifiers are driving the internal speakers or external ones.

If you select - in "Sound" - USB or Bluetooth, the internal amplifiers
are disabled, whether driving the laptop's internal speakers or external
ones (or headphones/earbuds).

[For some motherboard sound circuitry, as opposed to laptop, there is
extra complication because they've designed in autosensing
software/hardware to detect when someone plugs in the (external)
speakers and microphone to the wrong sockets. Such "cleverness" IMO has
caused more problems than it ever solved!]

Sorry if you knew all this (-:

>I was on a zoom meeting with the built-in mike recently and it worked
>fine, but anything more complicated than that was months ago. I believe
>a USB mike/speaker worked well. And when I wanted to use amplified
>speakers with a TRRS plug on them, I got a thing the size of a postage
>stamp, plugged it into USB and it had mike and speaker outputs. I only
>used the speakers.

Ah, a "USB sound card". Look like a memory stick with sockets on the
back. (The microphone - pink - one is of course an input not an output,
but I knew what you meant!)
[]
>>Sometime in the last year or so, just looking round a poundshop, I saw
>>some earphones for 50p - new! I bought a pair, wondering just how grotty
>>they would be to be sold new at that price; I was favourably surprised.
>>OK, they're not perfect - little things like they're not identified so I
>>had to work out for myself which was left and right, and I think the
>>joints (where the wires disappear into the units) might be a weak point
>>- but certainly, if someone had told me they cost five pounds, I'd have
>>believed it, and next time I went back I bought all the ones they had
>>left.
>
>In the USA, 40 years ago, they had 69 cent stores, at least in NYC. For
>the last 20 years, dollar stores have been burgeoning here. (One chain
>charges a dollar for everything, another charges up to 10 dollars, maybe
>more, and I can't keep track of smaller chains or, if any, independents.

They've sprung up here in the last 10-15 years or so - there are about
three chains - "99p stores", "Poundland", and I think "Poundstretcher".
[]
>Do you think blades get dull just sitting there?

In theory, I guess so if not protected from the atmosphere (e. g. by a
very fine film coating or in a sealed cover). [But I too am a beardy so
not familiar with them.]
[]
>So now I have a whole cake to eat myself.

(-: [Did he appreciate the attempt at least? (But do set the reminder to
when to turn down the volume/plug in the headphones at some point in the
evening.) I hope he did; I like neighbours to be, well, neighbourly.]

>>(Reminds me of a very old sketch - Tony Hancock's "The Radio Ham"!) No
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN1S_SHbjY4 - the neighbour disturbed by
the noise is about 19 minutes in ...
[]
>>The very fine ones do tend to get irretrievably tangled more easily (-:
>
>I spent fully 5 minutes last night untangling them. I thought folding 3
>or 4 times made that less of a problem then rolling in a cirlce, but
>last night it didnt' seem to have worked.
(-:

He [Alfred Kinsey] wouldn't ask 'Have you ever slept with a horse?' He would
say, 'When did you first sleep with a horse?' [RT 2018/5/5-11]

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<f63e6hdsvdknd7ve2jiqc92mll6vqjpvdt@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61918&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61918

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:08:52 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:08 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 25 Apr 2022 22:33:28 +0300, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I went to the grocery store just for this reason today. I would have
>ggone to a bakery but I don't know any around here. The supermarket had
>only 1, maybe two kinds of cake, so I bought one, about $17. Everything
>is expensive here. I got back at 5 and waitd until 6:50 when I thought
>it likely he'd be home, and he was. I offered him the cake but turned
>me down because one of his kids has celiac disease. I thought it was
>all whipped "cream" and custard, but he lives here and knows better.
>
>So now I have a whole cake to eat myself.

He was right. It has 4 layers plus some cherry stuff and a few cherries
and two layers are cake.

Much as I like cake (I've eaten 30% already) I wish he could have taken
it. I think it would have helped him forgive me. He was both
exonerating me and instructing me this afternoon. But I'm using the
earbuds now.

My apartment in Brooklyn had cement walls and the only time I heard the
people upstairs was when the weight-lifting guy dropped his barbell.

My townhouse has only one n'bor, and he moved out almost a year ago and
for some reason, no one has moved in. He owes homeowner dues and I
thought the bank had foreclosed on him but he still owns the house.
Zillow said it was under contract months and months ago, but it never
got sold. What could all that mean.

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<vj3e6hdvvafmuljjl1hbdj38l77i9nggbf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61919&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61919

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:18:44 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:18 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:34:19 +0100, "J. P.
Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>So now I have a whole cake to eat myself.
>>
>(-: [Did he appreciate the attempt at least?

Yes, definitely. He was nice about it. More details in other post. He
wanted me out of there before his 2 and 3 year olds figured out they
were missing out on a dessert**. We were speaking English and the
2-year old yelled Bye a couple times. That might be the limit of what
she knows.

**Some day it might be a problem since only one has celiac, I think, and
the other has to miss out because of the first one, as do the parents. I
think little kids are very smart but I'm sure they don't understand that
yet.

(But do set the reminder to
>when to turn down the volume/plug in the headphones at some point in the
>evening.) I hope he did; I like neighbours to be, well, neighbourly.]

I downloaded it but haven't got into yet. But I don't think I'll make
this mistake a 3rd time. (Did I mention that this was the second time.
The first was a few days ago at 10:30 PM.)

Re: Earbuds for laptop

<nkee6ht27gas48uab3mcklihrauogolre7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61920&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61920

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 03:22:12 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:22 UTC

Haven't had time to review all of this, but just now I plugged the
earbuds for the phone, TRRS, into the Acer and it stopped the USB
speakers from playing. I hadn't mentioned USB speakers before but that
is what they are designed for, not using any adapter. They don't make
this model of Logitech, Z205, anymore but I presume what they do make is
even better.