Captain's Log, star date 21:34.5...

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

SubjectAuthor
* Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drivejaugustine
+- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveZaidy036
|`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveZaidy036
|  `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
|`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveStan Brown
| `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAnt
|  `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
|   +- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveHerbert Kleebauer
|   `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveCarlos E.R.
|    +* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
|    |`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
|    | `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
|    `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveFrank Slootweg
|`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
| `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveFrank Slootweg
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveStan Brown
|`- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveKen Blake
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveCarlos E.R.
|+- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
|`- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveMr. Man-wai Chang
 +* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
 |`- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveMr. Man-wai Chang
 `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
  +* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drivejaugustine
  |`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drivewasbit
  | `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
  `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveMr. Man-wai Chang

Pages:12
Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<j74l6h1avnaj0edqa4qmnfbr8fqg9tqmdb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61935&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61935

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:10:47 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:10 UTC

Hi,

I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
sensitive information on it.

I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.

What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
prevent access?

Also, what is a good app to use for the task?

Thank You in advance, John

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4ed56$s2b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61936&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61936

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:51:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:51 UTC

jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:

> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
> sensitive information on it.

Most people, I would think, use Truecrypt/Veracrypt encrypted containers.
(If there's something else which works on all platforms, let me know.)

The encrypted container can be named anything you want to name it, where it
looks to others like an ordinary binary file (it hides in plain sight).

For example, on Windows, this shortcut TARGET will mount an encrypted
container file simply by you couble clicking on the shortcut.
TARGET = VeraCrypt.exe /volume Z.hc /letter Z /auto /quit /explore /beep

This shortcut will mount more than one and open them up for convenience:
TARGET = %comspec% /c VeraCrypt.exe /volume file1.ext /letter M /auto /quit /explore & VeraCrypt.exe /volume file2.ext /letter N /auto /quit /explore

And this shortcut will dismount all mounted encrypted containers:
TARGET = VeraCrypt.exe /dismount /force

If anyone knows how to make the file _hidden_, please let me know, as that
is the one missing feature, IMHO, from the Veracrypt/Truecrypt methodology.

> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.

While I suspect any well-funded TLA can perhaps crack the
truecrypt/veracrypt encrypted volumes just like they cracked the German
Enigma, an average joe I would think probably would stand no chance in
dosing so.

The resulting encrypted containers work just fine on all five common
consumer platforms, which means it will also work well on your phone.

Here, for example, is a free smartphone tool that is compatible:
*Android*
EDS Lite <http://sovworks.com/eds/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.eds.android>

Note that you can mount the entire Android phone over your Wi-Fi LAN as a
Windows drive letter which makes copying back & forth a simple cut & paste.

And you can mirror that Android phone over your Wi-Fi LAN which allows
entering long pass phrases on Android using your keyboard & mouse at home.

Unfortunately, on iOS, I can't find a free encrypted container tool:
*iOS*
Disk Decipher:
<http://disk-decipher.hekkihek.nl/>
Crypto Disks:
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crypto-disks-store-private/id889549308>

If someone out there knows of a free iOS truecrypt/veracrypt-compatible
encrypted container tool, please let me know so that we all benefit from
your knowledge and experience. (I've been looking for it for years.)

> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
> prevent access?

You have a whole bunch of choice of what type of encryption to use in that
tool, where you can even double-encrypt the container so that if someone
puts a gun to your head, you can give them the passphrase to the outside
container but not the inside container as they can't tell if it exists.

> Also, what is a good app to use for the task?

On Windows & Linux I would suggest Veracrypt freeware:
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/>

On Android & iOS the question has been asked but be careful that on the
Apple newsgroups you never get an adult answer to any technical question.

In fact, you can ask the _same_ exact question on both groups, and the
answer you get on the Apple newsgroups will be as if kindergarten kids
wrote it (see these two threads for a perfect example of that observation):
Best [iOS] freeware for portable encrypted file containers
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/8GGgFKaW-70>

Best [Android] freeware for portable encrypted file containers
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/cas1QJ_j2uI/-C1Q1TAyAAAJ>

> Thank You in advance, John

On Usenet, friendly people gather daily to voluntarily help each other.

It's best, as with all friends, if someone gifts you an answer, that you
see if you can test it out and then try to improve the process, so that the
_next_ person stands on each of our shoulders each time you report back to
the team.
--
Usenet is a world-wide team sport where purposefully helpful kind-hearted
adults help each other and learn by pooling our individual capabilities.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4edvb$dft$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61937&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61937

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:04:59 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:04 UTC

On 4/28/2022 9:10 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
> sensitive information on it.
>
> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>
> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
> prevent access?
>
> Also, what is a good app to use for the task?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

7zip the files themselves

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4ek6g$m2r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61938&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61938

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:51:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:51 UTC

On 4/28/2022 9:10 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
> sensitive information on it.
>
> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>
> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
> prevent access?
>
> Also, what is a good app to use for the task?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HxD

http://mh-nexus.de/hxd

When you run that Hex Editor as Administrator (elevated), it
is allowed to look at raw storage. There is a menu that allows
opening raw drives.

This allows you to scroll through the Flash drive content
at the physical level. Can you see the word "augustine"
while scrolling through the contents that way ? Then
your chosen method is not good enough. The bits on the
stick should be "really random looking" if the crypto is good.

This is a "necessary but not sufficient" test. It covers the
really dumb mistakes -- sending unencrypted info, when you
really intended to send encrypted info.

By using a hex editor, you're looking for "hints" the
same way the person trying to crack what you sent, might be doing.

Before you write anything on the stick, use the hex editor.
What do you see ? The stick is *already* full of info you
do not want to share with others!

This is an example of cleaning a disk using Windows tools only.

Command Prompt Administrator
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
clean all <=== zeros a disk from end to end, even the MBR is wiped
exit

Now, when you use the hex editor, the Flash stick is 0x00 from
one end to the other.

Now you can go to Disk Management, select a partitioning
scheme (legacy MSDOS) and create a partition (NTFS maybe).

That's probably unnecessary for Bitlocker FDE, but is a good idea
for any other home-brew transport mechanisms you might have planned.

For example, if you use 7ZIP to 7z compress the folder of files,
it has an AES256 tick box and a password, plus a tick box to
encrypt filenames. The result is an encrypted 7z. But that
should only be stored on a Flash stick that has been sanitized first.

[Picture] If the frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload"

https://i.postimg.cc/TP3r80MD/7zip-crypto.gif

You don't *prepare* an archive right on the Flash stick, because
it would leave temporary files. You prepare a 7Z on your hard drive
first. Copy the 7Z to the Flash stick when it's all DONE and
ready to go.

*******

The entire partition can be encrypted.

Using Bitlocker means the Windows recipient will already have the tools
for the job.

Note that Bitlocker on Win7 uses Elephant Diffuser, whereas
Bitlocker on Win10 does not. Consider the OS version, before
getting too carried away. Maybe a Win7 machine cannot decrypt
the work prepared by Win10 ??? Dunno. But Win7 output moving to
Win10 input is probably OK.

Best practice is to store a recovery key somewhere for later.
The password is one thing, the recovery key is for emergencies.

*******

Bitlocker may even work on Linux, but the sender should test
these methods in a VM before exposing a recipient to them.
This means enough is known about the method, to reproduce it.
But it doesn't necessarily mean a recipient will enjoy themselves
doing this :-) [for some value of "Linux Grandma", the hypothetical
all-powerful pie-baking crypto grandmother]

https://superuser.com/questions/376533/how-to-access-a-bitlocker-encrypted-drive-in-linux

Paul

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4er3m.bj0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61939&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61939

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 28 Apr 2022 17:51:23 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:51 UTC

jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
> sensitive information on it.
>
> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>
> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
> prevent access?
>
> Also, what is a good app to use for the task?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

To echo Zaidy036's recommendation:

For a similar recent situation, I've used 7-Zip and encrypted the
files.

On your son's system he doesn't need to have 7-Zip, the 'Open' and
'Extract All...' context menu functions in File Explorer work just fine.
But of course it doesn't hurt to put (unencrypted) 7-Zip itself on the
USB flash drive as well.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4eku1$n7c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61941&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61941

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:04:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:04 UTC

Zaidy036 wrote:

>> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
>> prevent access?

> 7zip the files themselves

Depending on the level of security desired, even a rot Caesar Cipher will
work, so I'm not against 7-zip methods, but see this in the news recently.

*Alarming 7-Zip Security Flaw Exposes Your PC To Hackers Giving Full Admin Rights*
<https://hothardware.com/news/7-zip-security-flaw-grants-full-admin-rights>

When utilizing 7-Zip's help menu, it executes the hh.exe, which can
still run and use ActiveX objects. If you attempt to drag a .7z
extension file to that window that appears, after malware or an attacker
has run their piece to unlock the nasty potential of elevated access, it
can potentially open up a command prompt with elevated administrator
access. This is displayed in the video made by Ka�an �apar, a security
researcher from Turkey.

Kagan does state in his GitHub, which outlines the vulnerability, that
he will not publish the details of the exploit until after the issue is
patched by the 7-Zip developers. No action has been taken yet,
unfortunately. He does, however, go on to say that the bug report has
been issued to 7-Zip developers, and that its CVE-2022-29072 designation
has been submitted to security reporting web sites.
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<MPG.3cd482e9b860073898ff1a@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61942&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61942

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:55:12 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:55 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:10:47 -0400, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
> sensitive information on it.
>
> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>
> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
> prevent access?

You talk as though it were either-or. I don't know what it woiuld
mean to password it without encrypting it, but I strongly, strongly
suggest good encryption, using a passphrase not a password. A
passphrase is a series of words that don't have any connection with
each other, like "french pink centipede desolation murmur pancake". A
longer passphrase is more secure than a sorter password, with no
bother about typing numbers and special characters.

VeraCrypt is free and lightweight:

https://www.idrix.fr/Root/content/category/7/32/46/

And for best practical security, don't email the passphrase. Give it
to your son over the phone.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<MPG.3cd4834cb0610caa98ff1b@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61943&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61943

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:56:52 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:56 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:51:11 -0400, Paul wrote:
> Note that Bitlocker on Win7 uses Elephant Diffuser, whereas
> Bitlocker on Win10 does not. Consider the OS version, before
> getting too carried away. Maybe a Win7 machine cannot decrypt
> the work prepared by Win10 ??? Dunno. But Win7 output moving to
> Win10 input is probably OK.

Windows 7 Home doesn't even have Bitlocker, does it?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<j0pl6hd28vc3darill8dqr6dbeenudsmoo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61944&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61944

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:03:44 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:03 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:55:12 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:10:47 -0400, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
>> sensitive information on it.
>>
>> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>>
>> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
>> prevent access?
>
>You talk as though it were either-or. I don't know what it woiuld
>mean to password it without encrypting it, but I strongly, strongly
>suggest good encryption, using a passphrase not a password. A
>passphrase is a series of words that don't have any connection with
>each other, like "french pink centipede desolation murmur pancake". A
>longer passphrase is more secure than a sorter password, with no
>bother about typing numbers and special characters.

Yes, longer is better, but you're going to use a passphrase, it's
important to choose a series of words that has meaning to you even if
it has none to anyone else. If you don't, you'll forget it.

Something like "ilovemyauntmatildaeventhoughshesbigandfat."

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4eq5v$l8d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61945

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:33:19 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:33 UTC

On 4/28/2022 2:04 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Zaidy036 wrote:
>
>>>      What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
>>> prevent access?
>
>> 7zip the files themselves
>
> Depending on the level of security desired, even a rot Caesar Cipher will
> work, so I'm not against 7-zip methods, but see this in the news recently.
>
> *Alarming 7-Zip Security Flaw Exposes Your PC To Hackers Giving Full
> Admin Rights*
> <https://hothardware.com/news/7-zip-security-flaw-grants-full-admin-rights>
>
> When utilizing 7-Zip's help menu, it executes the hh.exe, which can
> still run and use ActiveX objects. If you attempt to drag a .7z
> extension file to that window that appears, after malware or an attacker
> has run their piece to unlock the nasty potential of elevated access, it
> can potentially open up a command prompt with elevated administrator
> access. This is displayed in the video made by Ka�an �apar, a security
> researcher from Turkey.
>
> Kagan does state in his GitHub, which outlines the vulnerability, that
> he will not publish the details of the exploit until after the issue is
> patched by the 7-Zip developers. No action has been taken yet,
> unfortunately. He does, however, go on to say that the bug report has
> been issued to 7-Zip developers, and that its CVE-2022-29072 designation
> has been submitted to security reporting web sites.
Probably all software has bugs to find. 7zip:

<https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-9220/7-zip.html>

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4eran$1spd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61946&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61946

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 20:53:13 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:53 UTC

Zaidy036 wrote:

> Probably all software has bugs to find. 7zip:
> <https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-9220/7-zip.html>

I fully agree with your point and with the suggestion of using 7-zip.
I was just letting folks know about a recent hole that needs patching.

Like I said, it matters only if it matters, where the expectation of
security depends on the tool used (e.g., both Veracrypt & 7-zip are FOSS so
they can be 'presumed' to have eyes on the software looking for holes).

The OP doesn't seem to require diplomatic level encryption security, and,
besides, the way around that is almost always via the loose ends given how
insecure a computer on the Internet already is (except in Apple
advertising, where the mac is eminantly secure just becuase Apple said so).

The thing is, the OP needs _something_, right?
And of course, 7-zip will do the job.
It's fast. Easy. Quick. Portable.

In short, it will work.

Will it be a general solution that can be used almost all the time?
Probably.
For example, 7-zip works on all platforms just like Veracrypt does.

It's up to the OP which he prefers as he didn't state that he needed
anything special, but you do have to admit Veracrypt has advantages.
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted well educated people gather to exchange ideas.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4eusq$krj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61947&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61947

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:53:45 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 20:53 UTC

On 4/28/2022 1:51 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
>> sensitive information on it.
>>
>> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>>
>> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
>> prevent access?
>>
>> Also, what is a good app to use for the task?
>>
>> Thank You in advance, John
>
> To echo Zaidy036's recommendation:
>
> For a similar recent situation, I've used 7-Zip and encrypted the
> files.
>
> On your son's system he doesn't need to have 7-Zip, the 'Open' and
> 'Extract All...' context menu functions in File Explorer work just fine.
> But of course it doesn't hurt to put (unencrypted) 7-Zip itself on the
> USB flash drive as well.

With 7ZIP, you can include SFX (the code section travels as a
block of plaintext) with AES256 and filename encryption. This
gives you a good crypto, with the ability to extract on
machines having no copy of 7ZIP. You double-click mysecret.exe,
and you will be prompted for the password before any other
dialogs will appear.

mysecret.exe

+-----------+------------------------+
| SFX PE32 | AES256 7Z archive body |
+-----------+------------------------+

versus

mysecret.7z (needs a copy of 7-zip.exe)

+------------------------+
| AES256 7Z archive body |
+------------------------+

WinZIP likely offers a similar capability, just with
a slightly different flavour of crypto. You should not use
WinZIP from the year 2000, because the old crypto methods were
crap. But newer efforts are better. The old crypto was
trivially crack-able, and is so weak, old encryption ZIP attachments
can be scanned in real time for malware. That's how easy
the old stuff is to crack.

If you have a copy of 7ZIP on a machine, then you don't double-click
the 7ZIP EXE archive you've been given, you open the file with 7ZIP
instead and use the local code for the unpacking operation. I try not
to trust any "SFX" packed files if I can, and use local code to open
the body of the package being sent.

Lots of things are like WinZIP. The older protections on PDF files
were weak. The newer versions are much better (might take
days or weeks of GPU accelerated brute force).

Eventually, a quantum computer will start cracking SHA256,
and BitCoins will instantly be worthless. We can live and hope :-/
But then, Microsoft will have to upgrade the catalog server
to a new level of protection (as it uses SHA2 as well).

Paul

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<F-6dnXjwvY9qm_b_nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61948&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61948

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:28:23 -0500
 by: Ant - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 21:28 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:51:11 -0400, Paul wrote:
> > Note that Bitlocker on Win7 uses Elephant Diffuser, whereas
> > Bitlocker on Win10 does not. Consider the OS version, before
> > getting too carried away. Maybe a Win7 machine cannot decrypt
> > the work prepared by Win10 ??? Dunno. But Win7 output moving to
> > Win10 input is probably OK.

> Windows 7 Home doesn't even have Bitlocker, does it?

Nope.
--
Slammy times and off like Tuesday night and hump day afternoon. :O
| |o o| |

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4gbeo$1jni$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61953&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61953

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:34:16 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:34 UTC

On 4/28/2022 5:28 PM, Ant wrote:
> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:51:11 -0400, Paul wrote:
>>> Note that Bitlocker on Win7 uses Elephant Diffuser, whereas
>>> Bitlocker on Win10 does not. Consider the OS version, before
>>> getting too carried away. Maybe a Win7 machine cannot decrypt
>>> the work prepared by Win10 ??? Dunno. But Win7 output moving to
>>> Win10 input is probably OK.
>
>> Windows 7 Home doesn't even have Bitlocker, does it?
>
> Nope.

Tisk.

To get a Win7 VM to have working USB3 passthru, requires
addition of a driver. Intel has two drivers. A worthless
chipset driver pack (INFINST). This file, on the other hand,
is just the two drivers for a USB3 hub and it works. You
add this to the Guest OS.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190109223550if_/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/21129/eng/Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip

The free Microsoft VM was on modern.ie and you could
download it from there at one time. Now, you would
have to abuse archive.org to find a copy. Downloads of
large images on archive.org are limited to 345KB/sec so
you have to use aria2 multi-threaded downloader to speed
up the transfer to your link rate.

This is proof you can do stuff without a lot of licenses.
You could even install Enterprise and "evaluate it",
but the reason this VM is valuable, is I don't need
to scunge for an Enterprise ISO when reusing the VM image.
There's probably the odd torrent out there with an E.iso,
but then you'd need an authoritative SHA256 to go with it.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MLqb9HZ/bitlocker-passthru-virtualbox.gif

I found several articles that claimed you could do
Bitlocker-To-Go on a "lesser SKU" of Win7, but this
seemed to be bullshit as near as I could tell. I tried
to get BTG to work on Win7 Pro and no dice. Bitlocker-To-Go
is a preparation of a USB drive for use on even lower SKUs
of OS. The drive is functionally read-only after the
originator puts the files on it and sends it to someone
who has only WinXP to read it with.

I didn't test the rest of the procedure, as it's probably
hours of work to vet and prove success.

The reason for speccing USB3 passthru above, is BitLocker
encryption is unlikely to be a low-bandwidth operation.
You need all the help you can get. And that is where most
of the hours of work come from. The USB3 stick in the
picture, can do 100MB/sec on a good day - with USB3 passthru,
it is likely to suck at it. The Virtualbox method (USB passthru
at packet level), is a pretty good concept, but
nothing ever seems to go quickly in a VM :-) You can even
run a USB scanner that way.

Paul

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4glhi.ck8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61954&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61954

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 29 Apr 2022 10:26:42 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:26 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 4/28/2022 1:51 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
> >> sensitive information on it.
> >>
> >> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
> >>
> >> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
> >> prevent access?
> >>
> >> Also, what is a good app to use for the task?
> >>
> >> Thank You in advance, John
> >
> > To echo Zaidy036's recommendation:
> >
> > For a similar recent situation, I've used 7-Zip and encrypted the
> > files.
> >
> > On your son's system he doesn't need to have 7-Zip, the 'Open' and
> > 'Extract All...' context menu functions in File Explorer work just fine.
> > But of course it doesn't hurt to put (unencrypted) 7-Zip itself on the
> > USB flash drive as well.
>
> With 7ZIP, you can include SFX (the code section travels as a
> block of plaintext) with AES256 and filename encryption. This
> gives you a good crypto, with the ability to extract on
> machines having no copy of 7ZIP. You double-click mysecret.exe,
> and you will be prompted for the password before any other
> dialogs will appear.

My stone-age version of 7-Zip defaults to 'zip' (not '7z') Archive
format and for that format the 'Create SFX archive' tickbox is greyed
out. Perhaps this is different for newer versions.

> mysecret.exe
>
> +-----------+------------------------+
> | SFX PE32 | AES256 7Z archive body |
> +-----------+------------------------+
>
> versus
>
> mysecret.7z (needs a copy of 7-zip.exe)
>
> +------------------------+
> | AES256 7Z archive body |
> +------------------------+

[...]
> If you have a copy of 7ZIP on a machine, then you don't double-click
> the 7ZIP EXE archive you've been given, you open the file with 7ZIP
> instead and use the local code for the unpacking operation. I try not
> to trust any "SFX" packed files if I can, and use local code to open
> the body of the package being sent.

Exactly. That's why I don't recommend SFX archives unless needed and -
as I said - if the target is a Windows machine, File Explorer can do the
'Open'-ing and 'Extract'-ing.

[...]

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<hicrji-1vg.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61955&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61955

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:12:17 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 21:12 UTC

On 2022-04-28 15:10, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
> sensitive information on it.
>
> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>
> What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
> prevent access?
>
> Also, what is a good app to use for the task?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

Password is not a real protection. If the algorithm is known, it only
needs the interceptor to create a program with that same algorithm that
ignores the password.

But it is simple. My banks sends me by email PDF files protected by a
password. I don't really know how safe is that.

Encryption is the best. Besides what has been suggested, an alternative
is to pack everything inside a zip archive (or your favourite archiver),
then encrypt the result with PGP. Then, only then, copy that archive to
the USB stick (or email).

Of course, you two have to exchange keys before hand.

PGP is good for a one time. If you need to do it often, then another
method may be easier.

It may be even possible that there is an archiver out there that also
protects with PGP.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4gh94$94v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61956&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61956

From: kle...@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 13:13:40 +0200
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 11:13 UTC

On 29.04.2022 11:34, Paul wrote:
> On 4/28/2022 5:28 PM, Ant wrote:

>>> Windows 7 Home doesn't even have Bitlocker, does it?
>>
>> Nope.
>>

> To get a Win7 VM to have working USB3 passthru, requires
> addition of a driver. Intel has two drivers. A worthless

Wouldn't it be an overkill to install a VM only to
encrypt a few files on a USB stick? Use Explorer to
create a new zip file and then drop all files you
want to transfer in this zip file. Windows can't
encrypt zip files and it also can't decrypt securely
encrypted zip files (only the old, insecure zip
encryption), so use one of the many aes256 encryption
programs to encrypt the zip file. Then store the encrypted
file on a new (or securely erased) USB stick. The receiver
copies the file to the HD, decrypts it and then directly can
use the zip file within explorer.

The aes algorithm is secure and very simple so it
can implemented in a few bytes of code. Here a batch
which creates an aes32.exe program.

to encrypt use:

aes32 -mypassword <myzipfile.zip >myzipfile.zip.aes

to decrypt use:

aes32 mypassword <myzipfile.zip.aes >myzipfile.zip

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

@echo off
certutil -f -decode %~f0 aes32.exe>nul
goto :eof

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

aes32.exe : de-/encrypt stdin to stdout using AES algorithm

usage: aes32 password <infile >outfile

The password size is 256 bit (32 byte) and the password has to be
provided base64 encoded. This means you have to use 44 base64
characters (A-Z,a-z,0-9.+,/). If less than 44 characters are given,
the characters are repeated until 44 characters are reached. Any
non base64 character is ignored.

This means;

aes32 This_is_my_password <infile >outfile

is the same as:

aes32 This is my password <infile >outfile

or:

aes32 Thisismypassword <infile >outfile

If a "-" character is used in the command line, encryption instead
of decryption is done.

If a "*" character is used in the command line, Electronic Codebook
mode (ECB) is used instead of Cipher Block Chaning (CBC).

You should not use ECB mode in normal usage but only to verify
the encryption using the example provided in the AES specification:

Plaintext (hex): 00112233445566778899aabbccddeeff
Key (hex): 000102030405060708090a0b0c0d0e0f101112131415161718191a1b1c1d1e1f
Key (base64): AAECAwQFBgcICQoLDA0ODxAREhMUFRYXGBkaGxwdHh8=

Create an infile containing the above 16 byte input.

aes32 -*AAECAwQFBgcICQoLDA0ODxAREhMUFRYXGBkaGxwdHh8= <infile >outfile

should give an outfile with:

8E A2 B7 CA 51 67 45 BF EA FC 49 90 4B 49 60 89

Note: the program is size and not speed optimized, so it is not very fast.

Source code:
http://ikomi.de/pub/assembler/aes32.zip

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<113tji-0hv.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61957&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61957

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:41:37 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:41 UTC

On 2022-04-29 11:34, Paul wrote:

> Tisk.
>
> To get a Win7 VM to have working USB3 passthru, requires
> addition of a driver. Intel has two drivers. A worthless
> chipset driver pack (INFINST). This file, on the other hand,
> is just the two drivers for a USB3 hub and it works. You
> add this to the Guest OS.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20190109223550if_/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/21129/eng/Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip
>

> The free Microsoft VM was on modern.ie and you could
> download it from there at one time. Now, you would
> have to abuse archive.org to find a copy. Downloads of
> large images on archive.org are limited to 345KB/sec so
> you have to use aria2 multi-threaded downloader to speed
> up the transfer to your link rate.

Do you have a link to that VM? It doesn't matter if it downloads slowly.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4gpcv$3s6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61958&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61958

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:32:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 13:32 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> But it is simple. My banks sends me by email PDF files protected by a
> password. I don't really know how safe is that.

I haven't needed to strip it out in a long time, but for the record, I
posted a tutorial long ago how to remove the PDF password using
C:\app\editor\pspdf\{ghostscript,ghostview,ps2edit}

I've never failed every time I needed to strip out a password.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4gu6i$n5c$2@toylet.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61959&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61959

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:53:52 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:53 UTC

On 28/4/2022 9:10 pm, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
> sensitive information on it.
>
> I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.

Do you trust Bit-Locker? :)

Do all those encryption progarms have a master key known only by
govenrments? :)

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4h29o$t09$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61961&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61961

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:04:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:04 UTC

On 4/29/2022 8:41 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-04-29 11:34, Paul wrote:

>> Tisk.
>>
>> To get a Win7 VM to have working USB3 passthru, requires
>> addition of a driver. Intel has two drivers. A worthless
>> chipset driver pack (INFINST). This file, on the other hand,
>> is just the two drivers for a USB3 hub and it works. You
>> add this to the Guest OS.
>>
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20190109223550if_/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/21129/eng/Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip
>>
>> The free Microsoft VM was on modern.ie and you could
>> download it from there at one time. Now, you would
>> have to abuse archive.org to find a copy. Downloads of
>> large images on archive.org are limited to 345KB/sec so
>> you have to use aria2 multi-threaded downloader to speed
>> up the transfer to your link rate.
>
> Do you have a link to that VM? It doesn't matter if it downloads slowly.

A quick look, I don't see it in my download lists. But
the browsers don't have long retention on those links
so it is easier to lose stuff now.

I'll take a look later on the other machine.

Paul

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4h5jp$6ij$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61963&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61963

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:00:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:00 UTC

Paul wrote:

>> Do you have a link to that VM? It doesn't matter if it downloads slowly.
>
> A quick look, I don't see it in my download lists. But
> the browsers don't have long retention on those links
> so it is easier to lose stuff now.
>
> I'll take a look later on the other machine.

The only virtual machines I've used on Windows are the likes of VirtualBox,
for which I've written a few tutorials but I didn't know of a MS free VM.
*Best free virtual machine software for Windows 10 and 11 in 2022*
<https://www.windowscentral.com/best-free-virtual-machine-software-windows-10-and-11>

Here are some hits for the free (timeware) Microsoft virtual machines:
*Getting a free Windows virtual machine from Microsoft*
<https://www.accessibility-developer-guide.com/setup/windows/virtual-machines/>
"Microsoft offers free Windows virtual machine images for testing
Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. While their licenses
expire after 90 days of use, by creating a snapshot before activation,
they can easily be reset again. This is the easiest way to get your
needed Windows environment up and running quickly for testing purposes."

*Microsoft Developer Site: Test Windows 10 on Windows 11*
<https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/>

*Microsoft Windows virtual machines*
<https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-machines/windows/#features>
"Get on-demand, highly scalable, and protected virtualized infrastructure
with Windows virtual machines (VMs) in Azure."

*Microsoft Developer Site: Download a virtual machine*
<https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/>
"We currently package our virtual machines for four different
virtualization software options:
VMWare, Hyper-V, VirtualBox, and Parallels."
--
Usenet is where well-educated intelligent friendly people daily gather to
discuss topics of interest and to help learn from each other every day.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4h6ce$hn3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61964&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61964

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:14:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:14 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Do you have a link to that VM? It doesn't matter if it downloads slowly.

As you astutely inferred, it _will_ download slowly as they're rather huge.

*Microsoft Developer Site: Download a virtual machine*
<https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/>
"We currently package our virtual machines for four different
virtualization software options:
VMWare, Hyper-V, VirtualBox, and Parallels."

This evaluation virtual machine includes:
Window 11 Enterprise (Evaluation)
Visual Studio 2022 with the UWP, .NET Desktop, Azure, and Windows App SDK for C# workloads enabled
Windows Subsystem for Linux enabled with Ubuntu installed
Developer mode enabled
Windows Terminal installed

File hashes (Name Length FileHash)
WinDev2204Eval.HyperVGen1.zip 19280543146 C3C27DD055F94EB32C11B644520E5579664B1ED7EE6F92FABEA57DE0DB09FEA3
<https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/8/f/28ff172f-e41a-4792-aa24-7c5fa31b2887/WinDev2204Eval.HyperVGen1.zip>

WinDev2204Eval.Parallels.zip 19334570768 69D4476DB3897A2EAC50A839CE153AB13A2D6E06C7BB10F572A1B1C0C898D7E6
<https://download.microsoft.com/download/a/0/6/a06ef5d2-ed66-430e-afd8-cf5fcb4812d7/WinDev2204Eval.Parallels.zip>

WinDev2204Eval.VirtualBox.zip 19834703769 B7B2BA20857136CCF2F59D11D0B7DE3754C4321AD0DFAD8DD441D9D20C64A951
<https://download.microsoft.com/download/6/2/9/629d7115-a790-481d-a9b3-ac4dd2686e1f/WinDev2204Eval.VirtualBox.zip>

WinDev2204Eval.VMware.zip 20672218564 1BCD125B17DDEED9FF30945F3732B59266E688092F749AD0D239A9603250B97F
<https://download.microsoft.com/download/6/e/5/6e56ea28-bd34-4db6-a0b9-5e6a7844b616/WinDev2204Eval.VMware.zip>
--
The best part about Usenet is that some people are purposefully helpful.
There are two types of people on Usenet, only one of which is helpful.

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4hfl2$dd3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61965&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61965

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:52:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:52 UTC

On 4/29/2022 1:00 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>>> Do you have a link to that VM? It doesn't matter if it downloads slowly.
>>
>> A quick look, I don't see it in my download lists. But
>> the browsers don't have long retention on those links
>> so it is easier to lose stuff now.
>>
>> I'll take a look later on the other machine.
>
> The only virtual machines I've used on Windows are the likes of VirtualBox,
> for which I've written a few tutorials but I didn't know of a MS free VM.
>  *Best free virtual machine software for Windows 10 and 11 in 2022*
> <https://www.windowscentral.com/best-free-virtual-machine-software-windows-10-and-11>
>
> Here are some hits for the free (timeware) Microsoft virtual machines:
>  *Getting a free Windows virtual machine from Microsoft*
> <https://www.accessibility-developer-guide.com/setup/windows/virtual-machines/>
>  "Microsoft offers free Windows virtual machine images for testing   Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. While their licenses   expire after 90 days of use, by creating a snapshot before activation,
>   they can easily be reset again. This is the easiest way to get your   needed Windows environment up and running quickly for testing purposes."
>
>  *Microsoft Developer Site: Test Windows 10 on Windows 11*
>  <https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/>
>
>  *Microsoft Windows virtual machines*
>  <https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-machines/windows/#features>
>  "Get on-demand, highly scalable, and protected virtualized infrastructure
>   with Windows virtual machines (VMs) in Azure."
>
>  *Microsoft Developer Site: Download a virtual machine*
> <https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/>
>  "We currently package our virtual machines for four different
>   virtualization software options:   VMWare, Hyper-V, VirtualBox, and Parallels."

The problem isn't finding them, the problem is the completeness of the collection.
And it looks like there is enough for the purpose here at the moment.

I used IE10-on-Win7 VirtualBox on the other machine (VBox5), because the
VBox6 on this machine does not work right at the moment. (And that may be
related to VMSVGA video.)

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

If you wanted a WinXP or Vista machine, then you could try archive.org
for those.

I thought generally the idea was, they removed VMs as the OSes went
out of support.

By using the URL of the actual download...

https://az792536.vo.msecnd.net/vms/VMBuild_20150916/VirtualBox/IE10/IE10.Win7.VirtualBox.zip

you can find a whole list of links.

https://gist.github.com/zmwangx/e728c56f428bc703c6f6

"zmwangx/# Official Windows VM download URL archive.md"

Then, using the page contents, you get this.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150305132156/https://az412801.vo.msecnd.net/vhd/VMBuild_20141027/VirtualBox/IE8/Windows/IE8.XP.For.Windows.VirtualBox.txt

https://az412801.vo.msecnd.net/vhd/VMBuild_20141027/VirtualBox/IE8/Windows/IE8.XP.For.Windows.VirtualBox.zip.001
https://az412801.vo.msecnd.net/vhd/VMBuild_20141027/VirtualBox/IE8/Windows/IE8.XP.For.Windows.VirtualBox.zip.002

Then you can browse for a 1 Gigabyte file. The WinXP one, 001 is 1GB, 002 is
smaller. Just changing the last character on the following line from
1 to 2, should be enough to find the second file.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016*/https://az412801.vo.msecnd.net/vhd/VMBuild_20141027/VirtualBox/IE8/Windows/IE8.XP.For.Windows.VirtualBox.zip.001

How the machines are packed, is not a constant method. Some are 4.7GB ZIP files
with no sections.

While the machines generally have 30 days grace, if you allow Windows Update
to fetch the wrong stuff, the machines will start nagging almost instantly.
You can run the VM the first time, with the network cable set to "unplugged"
while you change the Windows Update setting. But it's more likely that
the Genuine Check has already been installed on it.

In any case, it isn't difficult to find a few of the slightly older ones.
Since I wasn't around when they first started making them, I don't know how
far back they go.

And they appear to have stopped making new ones.

Paul

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4hgtl$163j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61966&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61966

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:13:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:13 UTC

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> Do all those encryption progarms have a master key known only by
> govenrments? :)

I know history, where the advantage of history is you get to find out
decades later later all the secret stuff the government knew at that time.

If in the early 1900's the British could decode the Zimmermann Telegram,
and if in the 1940s the Allies could decode the Japanese and German
military codes, what makes any of us think that what they did then, they
can't do today?

I mean, I hear the Apple iKooks rave about how secure Apple told them their
iPhones are, but I also know history that they seem to be clueless about.

Nothing is secure; but whatever we have at our disposal, is as secure as we
can _easily_ make it - which - for our purposes - is generally good enough.

Is it not?

My point is that goverments and other well-funded adversaries have
_billions_ of dollars to spend on this (maybe trillions?) so what makes me
think my free encrpytion tool is ever going to be completely safe from
_them_ other than by my own perhaps wholly misplaced hubris?

I'm assuming the OP isn't hiding from a state sponsored adversary (as far
as we know) so whatever security the OP uses will likely work just fine for
his stated needs, I would think.

Either 7-Zip or Veracrypt should work fine.