Old programmers never die, they just hit account block limit.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / XBox Gamepass- views?

SubjectAuthor
* XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
+- Re: XBox Gamepass- views?rms
+- Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Justisaur
+* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
|`* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Justisaur
| `- Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
+* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Noman
|+- Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
|`- Re: XBox Gamepass- views?rms
`* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Werner P.
 `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
  `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Werner P.
   `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
    `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Spalls Hurgenson
     `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
      `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Werner P.
       `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
        `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Werner P.
         `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB
          `* Re: XBox Gamepass- views?Werner P.
           `- Re: XBox Gamepass- views?JAB

1
XBox Gamepass- views?

<sttd50$fn1$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6196&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6196

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: XBox Gamepass- views?
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 09:29:02 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 09:29 UTC

It kinda interests me as a sort of free but not free games service but
I'm not sure it's worth it for the games included with it. Anybody tried
it and has a more informed view than my just looking at the website one?

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<stu6cq$vlo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6198&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6198

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: XBox Gamepass- views?
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 09:39:51 -0700
 by: rms - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 16:39 UTC

"JAB" wrote in message news:sttd50$fn1$2@dont-email.me...

>It kinda interests me as a sort of free but not free games service but I'm
>not sure it's worth it for the games included with it. Anybody tried

Xbox Ultimate is the best gaming value subscription service on the
market.
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-game-pass/games
Just browse that list for either xbox or pc of 100's of titles. There may
still be the introductory offer of $1 for a month or something, and when
combined with various pricing deals that pop up frequently (I bought years
worth of 'xbox gold' that converted to Ultimate) and discounted Pass keys on
cdkey sites is cheap. Especially if you're the type who likes to 'browse'
games, dipping in and out to try different titles.
For VR peeps, Viveport -- when pricing deals happen -- can also be worth
it for a year's subscription.

The biggest issue is for those of us who are used to also buying titles on
other services, who ask 'why would I do both?' The value of a subscription
service is greatly enhanced if you commit to it alone and ignore others, and
don't get hung up on 'owning' titles, which is a very hard habit to break.
Probably younger gamers would take to this model more easily than many of
us.

rms

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<bcb369d9-39f7-4b82-a50b-0cfa7c0420b3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6204&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6204

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:41:19 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:41 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 1:29:06 AM UTC-8, JAB wrote:
> It kinda interests me as a sort of free but not free games service but
> I'm not sure it's worth it for the games included with it. Anybody tried
> it and has a more informed view than my just looking at the website one?

Yeah. I tried it for 1 month as I wanted to try out the Halo series. The first
game woudn't run after days of trying. I gave up. I looked around for other
games but there wasn't anything I was interested in.

They did have Outer Worlds previously which is a really good game, I just
owned it on Epic since it was an exclusive there. I don't know if they still
have that.

- Justisaur

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<su01q6$i21$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6209&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6209

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:33:56 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:33 UTC

Justisaur/rms,

Thanks for the comments. So some thoughts from me. I was comparing it to
the three different video streaming services (Sky, Amazon and Netflix)
we have but I realised that the way I 'engage' with them is quite
different to PC games. My better half does actually watch things that
they really want to whereas that's pretty rare for me and it's more a
case of watching something that is enjoyable enough but I'm unlikely to
directly pay for.

The way I approach gaming is really quite different in that, on the PC
at least, my habit of just playing a game to pass the time is long gone
and I now only play games that I very much enjoy.

So where is this leading, oh yes - looking at the list of games (even
with the ultimate pass) there just doesn't seem enough of them that I
think yes I would be prepared to directly pay for that even though that
maybe only in a sale. So my conclusion is currently it's just not good
value for money when I considering that I think my total spending on
gaming would actually go up not down. To put it simply I don't think
having it would reduce my spending on Steam by £10 per-month.

As a slight aside, how easy is it to cancel the subscription after the
one month trial as that may be an option.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<fad6aa2f-187e-474f-861a-b36254bd4dacn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6214&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6214

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:11:04 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 20:11 UTC

On Wednesday, February 9, 2022 at 1:33:59 AM UTC-8, JAB wrote:
> Justisaur/rms,

> As a slight aside, how easy is it to cancel the subscription after the
> one month trial as that may be an option.

Very easy when I did it. If there's something there that you want to
play, and it's less than the sub, it's probably worth using - unless
you're reasonably sure you're going to play it for multiple months.

Would've saved me $20 with Outer Worlds if I'd used it for that,
but I didn't know it was there as it was an Epic Exclusive (not
very exclusive since it was on the MS gamepass as well.)

I assumed I'd be playing it more than that too, but at least
I have it if I ever decide to back to it for the DLCs, which I got
cheap with one of the Epic $10 coupons.

- Justisaur

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<su1923$kcr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6216&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6216

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 20:43:46 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 20:43 UTC

On 09/02/2022 20:11, Justisaur wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 9, 2022 at 1:33:59 AM UTC-8, JAB wrote:
>> Justisaur/rms,
>
>> As a slight aside, how easy is it to cancel the subscription after the
>> one month trial as that may be an option.
>
> Very easy when I did it. If there's something there that you want to
> play, and it's less than the sub, it's probably worth using - unless
> you're reasonably sure you're going to play it for multiple months.
>
> Would've saved me $20 with Outer Worlds if I'd used it for that,
> but I didn't know it was there as it was an Epic Exclusive (not
> very exclusive since it was on the MS gamepass as well.)
>
> I assumed I'd be playing it more than that too, but at least
> I have it if I ever decide to back to it for the DLCs, which I got
> cheap with one of the Epic $10 coupons.

Outer Worlds was the one that tempted me with the £1 and play it for a
month. Maybe I'll give it a try but I'm always a bit wary of the whole
first month cheap deals.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sunepq$10u6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6328&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6328

From: no_m...@zzzyahoo.yycom (Noman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 22:36:41 -0800
 by: Noman - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 06:36 UTC

On 2/8/2022 1:29 AM, JAB wrote:
> It kinda interests me as a sort of free but not free games service but
> I'm not sure it's worth it for the games included with it. Anybody tried
> it and has a more informed view than my just looking at the website one?

I'd highly recommend PC Gamepass. All first party Microsoft titles show
up there and Microsoft studios include Bethesda, id, Raven,
Obsidian, Rare, Doublefine, inXile, Blizzard (soon), 343 (Halo),
Collective (Gears of War), Playground (Forza Horizon/Fable), Flight Sim
etc. And lots of other games come up on release day.

Just today, Total War:Warhammer III was added. Crusader Kings 3 has
been there for a long time. The non-Microsoft games eventually
disappear, but you can use the service as a way to check such games out
and if you can't finish them for the several months they are available,
you can always buy them from GoG or other sites.

For $10 a month, it's an insanely good deal.
--
Noman

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sunjq5$f5h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6329&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6329

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 09:02:13 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 08:02 UTC

Am 08.02.22 um 10:29 schrieb JAB:
> It kinda interests me as a sort of free but not free games service but
> I'm not sure it's worth it for the games included with it. Anybody tried
> it and has a more informed view than my just looking at the website one?

Gave it a testrun for a few months because it was the cheapest way to
play the MS Flightsim, stopped it after 3-4 months because of my
extensive Steam list moved the subsciption to humble choice.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sunun7$atv$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6330&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6330

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:08:22 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:08 UTC

On 18/02/2022 06:36, Noman wrote:
> On 2/8/2022 1:29 AM, JAB wrote:
>> It kinda interests me as a sort of free but not free games service but
>> I'm not sure it's worth it for the games included with it. Anybody
>> tried it and has a more informed view than my just looking at the
>> website one?
>
> I'd highly recommend PC Gamepass. All first party Microsoft titles show
> up there and Microsoft studios include Bethesda, id, Raven,
> Obsidian, Rare, Doublefine, inXile, Blizzard (soon), 343 (Halo),
> Collective (Gears of War), Playground (Forza Horizon/Fable), Flight Sim
> etc. And lots of other games come up on release day.
>
> Just today, Total War:Warhammer III was added. Crusader Kings 3 has
> been there for a long time. The non-Microsoft games eventually
> disappear, but you can use the service as a way to check such games out
> and if you can't finish them for the several months they are available,
> you can always buy them from GoG or other sites.
>
> For $10 a month, it's an insanely good deal.

I have done a bit more delving into the games offered but I'm come to
the conclusion that there just aren't enough tempt me.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sunup8$atv$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6331&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6331

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:09:28 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:09 UTC

On 18/02/2022 08:02, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 08.02.22 um 10:29 schrieb JAB:
>> It kinda interests me as a sort of free but not free games service but
>> I'm not sure it's worth it for the games included with it. Anybody
>> tried it and has a more informed view than my just looking at the
>> website one?
>
> Gave it a testrun for a few months because it was the cheapest way to
> play the MS Flightsim, stopped it after 3-4 months because of my
> extensive Steam list moved the subsciption to humble choice.

I forgot about Humble Choice and having had a look from a few months of
what games were available for 'free' it may be more to my liking.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<suobrr$ots$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6333&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6333

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:52:43 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 14:52 UTC

Am 18.02.22 um 12:09 schrieb JAB:

> I forgot about Humble Choice and having had a look from a few months of
> what games were available for 'free' it may be more to my liking.
Humble Choice is quite ok... i have yet to have had a month where at
least 2 games were not interesting to me.
The rest is hit and miss in the never to play area.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<suoia9$1k4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6336&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6336

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 09:42:47 -0700
 by: rms - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:42 UTC

>For $10 a month, it's an insanely good deal.

There are also many ways to reduce this cost dramatically. Here's one,
for buying a $5 coupon for $2 or so (once all fees etc accounted for):
https://slickdeals.net/f/15626173-gamestop-pro-rewards-members-w-5-monthly-coupon-5-microsoft-xbox-gift-card-1-more-email-delivery

rms

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sut8ve$ir3$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6340&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6340

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:34:04 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:34 UTC

On 18/02/2022 14:52, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 18.02.22 um 12:09 schrieb JAB:
>>
>> I forgot about Humble Choice and having had a look from a few months
>> of what games were available for 'free' it may be more to my liking.
> Humble Choice is quite ok... i have yet to have had a month where at
> least 2 games were not interesting to me.
> The rest is hit and miss in the never to play area.

I think I'll probably give it a try for a couple of months just to see
what I think.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<d3s51hlnhjfjopgt3vopbulm4u401mljop@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6342&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6342

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:01:07 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:01 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:34:04 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>On 18/02/2022 14:52, Werner P. wrote:
>> Am 18.02.22 um 12:09 schrieb JAB:

>>> I forgot about Humble Choice and having had a look from a few months
>>> of what games were available for 'free' it may be more to my liking.
>> Humble Choice is quite ok... i have yet to have had a month where at
>> least 2 games were not interesting to me.
>> The rest is hit and miss in the never to play area.

>I think I'll probably give it a try for a couple of months just to see
>what I think.

For what it's worth, here's another vote in favor of Humble Choice. As
noted, the majority of the games on offer aren't of highest quality;
there's maybe one or two 'triple-A' level games each month, a few
middling titles that are sometimes of interest, and the rest are
filler. Still, for $12/month, I think that's a pretty good deal,
especially considering these are yours-to-keep*, as opposed to games
only available so long as your subscription remains active. But if you
like software-as-a-service games, you get that too, with the 'Humble
Trove'. Personally, this latter isn't of much interest to me - most of
the games are Indie titles - but it's a nice bonus.

You get newer and bigger-name games with GamePass, but I prefer the
surety of ownership that comes with HumbleChoice. It also helps fill
out my 'Holiday Give-Away' list when I get duplicates. ;-)

-----------------
* as much as any software is 'yours' these days. Sadly, Humble Bundle
only redeems via Steam (occassionally Epic) and doesn't offer GOG
keys.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<suvke4$jjh$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6344&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6344

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:01:54 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:01 UTC

On 21/02/2022 02:01, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:34:04 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>>> Humble Choice is quite ok... i have yet to have had a month where at
>>> least 2 games were not interesting to me.
>>> The rest is hit and miss in the never to play area.
>
>> I think I'll probably give it a try for a couple of months just to see
>> what I think.
>
> For what it's worth, here's another vote in favor of Humble Choice. As
> noted, the majority of the games on offer aren't of highest quality;
> there's maybe one or two 'triple-A' level games each month, a few
> middling titles that are sometimes of interest, and the rest are
> filler. Still, for $12/month, I think that's a pretty good deal,
> especially considering these are yours-to-keep*, as opposed to games
> only available so long as your subscription remains active. But if you
> like software-as-a-service games, you get that too, with the 'Humble
> Trove'. Personally, this latter isn't of much interest to me - most of
> the games are Indie titles - but it's a nice bonus.
>
> You get newer and bigger-name games with GamePass, but I prefer the
> surety of ownership that comes with HumbleChoice. It also helps fill
> out my 'Holiday Give-Away' list when I get duplicates. ;-)

It was the games from the smaller studios that took my interest as my
gaming tastes have moved away from the general output of triple-AAA
titles. Saying that I'd still grab the big hitters just to make me feel
as though I was getting value for money.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<suvvpt$34s$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6346&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6346

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 13:15:57 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:15 UTC

Am 21.02.22 um 10:01 schrieb JAB:
> It was the games from the smaller studios that took my interest as my
> gaming tastes have moved away from the general output of triple-AAA
> titles. Saying that I'd still grab the big hitters just to make me feel
> as though I was getting value for money.
yes given that many AAA titles follow generic blueprint patterns
nowadays I also have moved away to some degree from them.
90% of my purchases nowadays are interesting indie titles so the humble
choice despite its garbage to gem ratio fills my tastes quite well so far.
I usually end up with 4 titles which are really interesting to me, in
weak months it is at least 2 titles so yes it is a good offer.
Btw given that i play mostly indie games nowadays, I am pretty psyched
for the steam deck. Should get mine soon (q1)

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sv2a9r$uja$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6349&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6349

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:27:23 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:27 UTC

On 21/02/2022 12:15, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 21.02.22 um 10:01 schrieb JAB:
>> It was the games from the smaller studios that took my interest as my
>> gaming tastes have moved away from the general output of triple-AAA
>> titles. Saying that I'd still grab the big hitters just to make me
>> feel as though I was getting value for money.
> yes given that many AAA titles follow generic blueprint patterns
> nowadays I also have moved away to some degree from them.
> 90% of my purchases nowadays are interesting indie titles so the humble
> choice despite its garbage to gem ratio fills my tastes quite well so far.
> I usually end up with 4 titles which are really interesting to me, in
> weak months it is at least 2 titles so yes it is a good offer.
> Btw given that i play mostly indie games nowadays, I am pretty psyched
> for the steam deck. Should get mine soon (q1)

I know there's always been an element in the games industry of following
a successful formula but the big studios seem to have taken this to a
new level of strangling innovation in that market space. If you look at
the triple-A titles in the last few years how many of them were what
could be called new IP, let alone doing something different. It reminds
me of what's happened to the film industry where it's either reboots or
franchises (please not another superhero movie).

On a more positive note, at least with the likes of Steam is given the
smaller dev's a cheaper way of getting to market and yes you do have to
fight through the dross but you do get games that even if you don't
actually like them have that feeling that used to be the norm of dev's
making the type of game that they want to play.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next five years or so
and personally I hope it's a case of triple-A will eat itself.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sv2c48$fcs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6350&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6350

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:58:31 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:58 UTC

Am 22.02.22 um 10:27 schrieb JAB:

> I know there's always been an element in the games industry of following
> a successful formula but the big studios seem to have taken this to a
> new level of strangling innovation in that market space. If you look at
> the triple-A titles in the last few years how many of them were what
> could be called new IP, let alone doing something different. It reminds
> me of what's happened to the film industry where it's either reboots or
> franchises (please not another superhero movie).
I have started Ghost of Tshushima now, while being applauded and highly
regarded, i can see why the artwork really is second to none...
With the core gameplay i always have the feeling this is an average open
world game following the same formular with tons of generated content
like Ubisoft has done so many times and also the highly praised Horizon
Zero Dawn has done.
Infiltrate this, kill everyone.. infiltrate that steal a thing,
sometimes with a really interesting story in between. At least this time
they do not have a permanent radar on the screen but the radar is the
wind which is less distracting.

And this is not the only game which feels so generic as soon as you
touch the core gameplay, which is exchangeable in those games.
And yes the AAA games industry has gone the way the movie industry has
gone.. basically the same meta story and/or gameplay mechanics with some
smaller variations and the real innovation also in the games department
happens outside of the big productions.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sv354n$56q$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6352&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6352

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 17:05:26 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 17:05 UTC

On 22/02/2022 09:58, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 22.02.22 um 10:27 schrieb JAB:
>>
>> I know there's always been an element in the games industry of
>> following a successful formula but the big studios seem to have taken
>> this to a new level of strangling innovation in that market space. If
>> you look at the triple-A titles in the last few years how many of them
>> were what could be called new IP, let alone doing something different.
>> It reminds me of what's happened to the film industry where it's
>> either reboots or franchises (please not another superhero movie).
> I have started Ghost of Tshushima now, while being applauded and highly
> regarded, i can see why the artwork really is second to none...
> With the core gameplay i always have the feeling this is an average open
> world game following the same formular with tons of generated content
> like Ubisoft has done so many times and also the highly praised Horizon
> Zero Dawn has done.
> Infiltrate this, kill everyone.. infiltrate that steal a thing,
> sometimes with a really interesting story in between. At least this time
> they do not have a permanent radar on the screen but the radar is the
> wind which is less distracting.
>
> And this is not the only game which feels so generic as soon as you
> touch the core gameplay, which is exchangeable in those games.
> And yes the AAA games industry has gone the way the movie industry has
> gone.. basically the same meta story and/or gameplay mechanics with some
> smaller variations and the real innovation also in the games department
> happens outside of the big productions.

I suppose the best I can say is that I can see why they do it. Pump
millions upon millions of pounds into a product that you know will
generate a profit unless you really screw up. Again much like the film
industry.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sv4ros$9vf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6357&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6357

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 09:37:48 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:37 UTC

Am 22.02.22 um 18:05 schrieb JAB:
> I suppose the best I can say is that I can see why they do it. Pump
> millions upon millions of pounds into a product that you know will
> generate a profit unless you really screw up. Again much like the film
> industry.
Yes indeed thats exactly why innovation usually happens at titles which
are smaller or have a low budget.
Over time AAA titles are picking up those mechanics slowly, but most of
the times they are not picked up at all.
I am just glad that the indie scene has exploded as it has over the last
few years otherwise we would be in miserable state regarding games.

Re: XBox Gamepass- views?

<sv50dc$c7f$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6358&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6358

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 09:56:57 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 09:56 UTC

On 23/02/2022 08:37, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 22.02.22 um 18:05 schrieb JAB:
>> I suppose the best I can say is that I can see why they do it. Pump
>> millions upon millions of pounds into a product that you know will
>> generate a profit unless you really screw up. Again much like the film
>> industry.
> Yes indeed thats exactly why innovation usually happens at titles which
> are smaller or have a low budget.
> Over time AAA titles are picking up those mechanics slowly, but most of
> the times they are not picked up at all.
> I am just glad that the indie scene has exploded as it has over the last
> few years otherwise we would be in miserable state regarding games.

Oh forgot to add, I hope you enjoy the Steam Deck as although gaming on
the go isn't my thing (I hardly ever used my Gameboy Advanced before it
ended up in the cupboard of never to be used again) I do like the tech
side of it.