HELP!!!! I'm being held prisoner in /usr/games/lib!

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

SubjectAuthor
* Is it slower to upload through a hub.micky
+* Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.micky
|+- Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.Paul
|+- Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.micky
|`- Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.Carlos E.R.
+* Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.Alan
|+* Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.nospam
||`* Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.Alan
|| `* Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.micky
||  +- Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.J. P. Gilliver (John)
||  `- Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.Alan
|+- Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.micky
|`* Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.Piet
| `* Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.micky
|  `- Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.Paul
`- Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.sms

1
Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<se0p6hpou9s1jiqanjnaedu8lah9lhuh51@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61969&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61969

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Is it slower to upload through a hub.
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:29:58 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:29 UTC

I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
reasons, I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?

Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
where I left off.

And to know for next time.

I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<n31p6h5tn1ip0cmq0shja59qhshfg26ngv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61970&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61970

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:44:08 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:44 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:29:58 +0300, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
>reasons,

Well, not that complicated. I hadn't turned Debugging Mode on again yet
and thought there might just be a problem with the first jack. (this
laptop has only 3 usb jacks and there is the mouse, the keyboard, the
speakers, the printer, plus sometimes a flash drive.)

>I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
>faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
>
>Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
>where I left off.

Or maybe I can't. The progress box has only one button named Cancel.
Does that mean, if I press it, it doesn't copy all the ones it says it
has downloaded.

Copying seems to be two steps and I've been meaning to ask why. First
step has two progress bars, one for the current file and one for all the
files viewed as one. Second step shows a graph and shows file transfer
as a green bar of varying height representing transfer speed moving from
left to right. --- So plainly it's not really copied until the end of
the second step. So then, what does the first step do?

Is all this, this two-step stuff, just to look for duplicate file names?
So it can give a list of all of them at the end, instead of making one
say A, B, or Both every few seconds?

>And to know for next time.
>
>I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
>laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
>more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
>photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<t4i0r4$7ae$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61971&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61971

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:45:23 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:45 UTC

On 2022-04-29 5:29 p.m., micky wrote:
> I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
> reasons, I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
> faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
>
> Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
> where I left off.
>
> And to know for next time.
>
> I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
> laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
> more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
> photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)

That would depend on the hub and whether or not there is anything else
connected to it...

....and if when you say "hub", you actually mean "switch".

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<290420222051306560%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61972&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61972

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:51:30 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:51 UTC

In article <t4i0r4$7ae$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> On 2022-04-29 5:29 p.m., micky wrote:
> > I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
> > reasons, I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
> > faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
> >
> > Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
> > where I left off.
> >
> > And to know for next time.
> >
> > I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
> > laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
> > more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
> > photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)
>
> That would depend on the hub and whether or not there is anything else
> connected to it...
>
> ...and if when you say "hub", you actually mean "switch".

from his description, it sounds like he means a usb hub, not a network
switch.

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<t4i27p$g5b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61973&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61973

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:09:13 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 01:09 UTC

On 2022-04-29 5:51 p.m., nospam wrote:
> In article <t4i0r4$7ae$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-04-29 5:29 p.m., micky wrote:
>>> I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
>>> reasons, I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
>>> faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
>>>
>>> Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
>>> where I left off.
>>>
>>> And to know for next time.
>>>
>>> I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
>>> laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
>>> more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
>>> photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)
>>
>> That would depend on the hub and whether or not there is anything else
>> connected to it...
>>
>> ...and if when you say "hub", you actually mean "switch".
>
> from his description, it sounds like he means a usb hub, not a network
> switch.

Ah.

Fair point.

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<t4ic7v$c3k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61974&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61974

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 23:59:59 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:59 UTC

On 4/29/2022 8:44 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:29:58 +0300, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
>> reasons,
>
> Well, not that complicated. I hadn't turned Debugging Mode on again yet
> and thought there might just be a problem with the first jack. (this
> laptop has only 3 usb jacks and there is the mouse, the keyboard, the
> speakers, the printer, plus sometimes a flash drive.)
>
>> I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
>> faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
>>
>> Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
>> where I left off.
>
> Or maybe I can't. The progress box has only one button named Cancel.
> Does that mean, if I press it, it doesn't copy all the ones it says it
> has downloaded.
>
> Copying seems to be two steps and I've been meaning to ask why. First
> step has two progress bars, one for the current file and one for all the
> files viewed as one. Second step shows a graph and shows file transfer
> as a green bar of varying height representing transfer speed moving from
> left to right. --- So plainly it's not really copied until the end of
> the second step. So then, what does the first step do?
>
> Is all this, this two-step stuff, just to look for duplicate file names?
> So it can give a list of all of them at the end, instead of making one
> say A, B, or Both every few seconds?
>
>> And to know for next time.
>>
>> I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
>> laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
>> more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
>> photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)

The only thing I could suggest, is making a ZIP of the
file set, and just passing some.zip via MTP protocol.

As a test.

For some transfer speed problems, ZIP definitely does not help.

If you put six million files in a single NTFS directory, ZIPping
that up... takes forever. Any speedup while crossing a wire link,
is lost on the ends, as the ZIP creation and the file tree
re-creation at the destination end, are deathly slow.

Your problem on the other hand, is having to pass directory
details back and forth, back and forth, across the link,
to keep track of the transfer process. The ZIP test would
be to see if preventing directory details from traveling
over the link helps. Passing a ZIP file containing all the
files, is an attempt to remove that part of the MTP transaction.

Paul

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<gsrp6h5deb5hrfpir24fq0c9epemvv7tui@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61980&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61980

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:14:43 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:14 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:45:23 -0700, Alan
<nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>On 2022-04-29 5:29 p.m., micky wrote:
>> I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
>> reasons, I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
>> faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
>>
>> Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
>> where I left off.
>>
>> And to know for next time.
>>
>> I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
>> laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
>> more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
>> photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)
>
>That would depend on the hub and whether or not there is anything else
>connected to it...

Well, the printer is, but the printer is not on.
and the mouse is, which I was using moderately, when not reading, etc.

>...and if when you say "hub", you actually mean "switch".

Darn. I hate being wrong. Thanks, I say begrudgingly.

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<30sp6hpmdc2cg7vbo9j19sbd3cc1tpv6vm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61982&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61982

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!news.freedyn.de!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.eu1.usenetexpress.com!94.232.112.244.MISMATCH!feed.abavia.com!abe004.abavia.com!abe002.abavia.com!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!feeder.cambriumusenet.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!posting.tweaknews.nl!fx12.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:18:08 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:18 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:09:13 -0700, Alan
<nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>On 2022-04-29 5:51 p.m., nospam wrote:

>>> That would depend on the hub and whether or not there is anything else
>>> connected to it...
>>>
>>> ...and if when you say "hub", you actually mean "switch".
>>
>> from his description, it sounds like he means a usb hub, not a network
>> switch.
>
>Ah.
>
>Fair point.

Yeah, it's a little wider than a pack of gum. I got it at a hamfest for
a dollar, I think because of the 4 jacks, the ones on one or both ends
only do data, or power, but not both. Seems strange.

I have a better hub with me, that I paid full price for (still not
expensive) but I found this one first.

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<q7sp6h55drki85nfm8gkukqde1t3r7ca1s@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61983&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61983

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:27:17 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:27 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:44:08 +0300, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>>Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
>>where I left off.
>
>Or maybe I can't. The progress box has only one button named Cancel.
>Does that mean, if I press it, it doesn't copy all the ones it says it
>has downloaded.

I thought it might not copy anything if I cancelled, so I waited, it
seemed to be all night.

>Copying seems to be two steps and I've been meaning to ask why. First
>step has two progress bars, one for the current file and one for all the
>files viewed as one. Second step shows a graph and shows file transfer
>as a green bar of varying height representing transfer speed moving from
>left to right. --- So plainly it's not really copied until the end of
>the second step. So then, what does the first step do?

It took 2.5 hours for the first step, and 7 minutes for the second.

I googled but didnt' find what the two stages are for. Maybe one to put
the files into RAM and the second to move it to the destination???? So
that the operation can be verified for expecdted success before the
actual copy is made?

>Is all this, this two-step stuff, just to look for duplicate file names?
>So it can give a list of all of them at the end, instead of making one
>say A, B, or Both every few seconds?

I planned this to have no duplicates this time, and I didn't. Still
two stages, 2.5 hours and 7 minutes.

>>And to know for next time.
>>
>>I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
>>laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
>>more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
>>photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)

As an aside, from Superuser: Normally, if you select the files in the
directory and copy by dragging and dropping, the files will copy in the
order in which they were sorted (except that the file you dragged from
will copy first). However, if you copy the entire directory, the order
in which the files within it are copied seems to be random.Mar 27, 2014

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<t4j6te$1icm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61999&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61999

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:35:11 +0200
 by: Piet - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:35 UTC

Alan wrote:
> micky wrote:
>> I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
>> reasons, I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
>> faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
>>
>> Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
>> where I left off.
>>
>> And to know for next time.
>>
>> I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
>> laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
>> more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
>> photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)
>
> That would depend on the hub and whether or not there is anything else
> connected to it...
>
> ...and if when you say "hub", you actually mean "switch".

Much more likely is that he really means a "hub".
https://acroname.com/blog/whats-difference-between-usb-hub-usb-switch-what-multiplexer
But I fail to see why he doesn't give it a try to connect
the phone directly to the laptop and compare speeds.

-p

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<jpkvji-uns.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62007&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62007

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:57:07 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:57 UTC

On 2022-04-30 02:44, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:29:58 +0300, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
>> reasons,
>
> Well, not that complicated. I hadn't turned Debugging Mode on again yet
> and thought there might just be a problem with the first jack. (this
> laptop has only 3 usb jacks and there is the mouse, the keyboard, the
> speakers, the printer, plus sometimes a flash drive.)
>
>> I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
>> faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?

Yes, an USB hub slows things down. Basically, assuming for an instant
that the hub itself doesn't add a delay, everything connected to it
compete for resources on the computer via a single connection.

So normally you would put slow devices, or devices seldom used, on the
hub; and devices that need speed directly to the computer.

However, I have connected a 4 port usb3 port to a computer, with two
hard disks, and it behaved pretty fast.

The MTP protocol with a mobile phone is slow, too. It has more overhead
than other protocols, but comes with advantages: for instance, you can
unplug the cable any time without causing corruption. Just a file that
is not copied or moved.

I suspect it behaves badly with very large files. No partial file transfers.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<35dq6hlsrou4mvb4iu6n1129fgphtegioh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62017&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62017

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:10:20 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:10 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:35:11 +0200, Piet
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

>Alan wrote:
>> micky wrote:
>>> I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
>>> reasons, I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
>>> faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
>>>
>>> Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
>>> where I left off.
>>>
>>> And to know for next time.
>>>
>>> I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
>>> laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
>>> more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
>>> photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)
>>
>> That would depend on the hub and whether or not there is anything else
>> connected to it...
>>
>> ...and if when you say "hub", you actually mean "switch".
>
>Much more likely is that he really means a "hub".
>https://acroname.com/blog/whats-difference-between-usb-hub-usb-switch-what-multiplexer
>But I fail to see why he doesn't give it a try to connect
>the phone directly to the laptop and compare speeds.

I was afraid if I stopped in the middle, I'd lose everythign that had
been done. I don't understand the 2-stage copying, but I think I'm
right. Since it doesn't start the 2nd stage until the first stage is
completely done, Canceling would stop everythign in its tracks.

I had another 500 to do today, but I could eat lunch etc. and I wasn't
in a hurry, so I didn't move any cables around. But next time I won't
use a hub.

>-p

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<WYklxfvRQUbiFwon@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62022&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62022

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:13:37 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:13 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 at 11:18:08, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:09:13 -0700, Alan
><nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2022-04-29 5:51 p.m., nospam wrote:
[]
>>> from his description, it sounds like he means a usb hub, not a network
>>> switch.
>>
>>Ah.
>>
>>Fair point.
>
>Yeah, it's a little wider than a pack of gum. I got it at a hamfest for
>a dollar, I think because of the 4 jacks, the ones on one or both ends
>only do data, or power, but not both. Seems strange.
>
>I have a better hub with me, that I paid full price for (still not
>expensive) but I found this one first.

At that price, I very much doubt it's USB3; it might conceivably even be
USB1 (I have one - spaceship-shaped, sort of flat round star with four
sockets at right-angles - that I bought long enough ago that I think it
is one, especially as it came with a power supply, for I think a pound;
as I only use it as a charger, it doesn't matter). If it's USB2 (let
alone 1), it could well slow things down (I'm not familiar with current
'phones, but I presume recent ones are USB3).

I'm intrigued by your two-stage process though, with the _first_ being
two hours and the second 7 minutes. All I can think of is: are you doing
a "move" rather than a copy? If so, maybe the first stage is the copy,
and the second the delete (since a move is really a copy followed by a
delete, especially between different devices).

You say you get progress bars for one step and a speed graph for the
other. Is that on the 'phone screen or the PC? Which device are you
initiating the process from - the 'phone or the PC?

Does God believe in people?

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<t4jtik$pig$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62037&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62037

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:01:53 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:01 UTC

On 2022-04-30 1:18 a.m., micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:09:13 -0700, Alan
> <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> from his description, it sounds like he means a usb hub, not a network
>>> switch.
>>
>> Ah.
>>
>> Fair point.
>
> Yeah, it's a little wider than a pack of gum. I got it at a hamfest for
> a dollar, I think because of the 4 jacks, the ones on one or both ends
> only do data, or power, but not both. Seems strange.
>
> I have a better hub with me, that I paid full price for (still not
> expensive) but I found this one first.

Then it's a USB hub and it will depend on what speed that hub is capable
of. Every link in the chain between the phone and your PC matters. The
overall speed will be governed by whichever component supports the
slowest speed.

Chances are if you bought it for a dollar, it's not a fast USB hub, but
check the back to see if you can see which version of USB it is.

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<t4laa9$1cnu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62050&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62050

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 02:45:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 1 May 2022 06:45 UTC

On 4/30/2022 9:10 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:35:11 +0200, Piet
> <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Alan wrote:

>>> That would depend on the hub and whether or not there is anything else
>>> connected to it...
>>>
>>> ...and if when you say "hub", you actually mean "switch".
>>
>> Much more likely is that he really means a "hub".
>> https://acroname.com/blog/whats-difference-between-usb-hub-usb-switch-what-multiplexer
>> But I fail to see why he doesn't give it a try to connect
>> the phone directly to the laptop and compare speeds.
>
> I was afraid if I stopped in the middle, I'd lose everythign that had
> been done. I don't understand the 2-stage copying, but I think I'm
> right. Since it doesn't start the 2nd stage until the first stage is
> completely done, Canceling would stop everythign in its tracks.
>
> I had another 500 to do today, but I could eat lunch etc. and I wasn't
> in a hurry, so I didn't move any cables around. But next time I won't
> use a hub.

I have a USB2 extension cable (15 feet) with one-port hub on the end.

USB3 stick into PC USB2 port - 37.0MB/sec
USB3 stick on USB2 cable on USB2 port - 36.5MB/sec

It's true the speed is different, but not appreciably so.
The high rate (for a USB2 port) suggests maybe UAS was being used.

The test stick writes at 100 and reads at 200 or so.
That's why it can do 37 on reads with no problem.
On writes, like other USB stick, it slows way down when
a ton of small files are involved.

And as for protocols, this would be USB Mass Storage
and not MTP.

Paul

Re: Is it slower to upload through a hub.

<t4m0uo$4tv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62071&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62071

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 06:11:52 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 1 May 2022 13:11 UTC

On 4/29/2022 5:29 PM, micky wrote:
> I'm uploading data from my phone to me laptop and for complicated
> reasons, I'm connected through a little hub with 4 jacks. Would it run
> faster if the cable were plugged directly into the laptop?
>
> Because I could stop it now and start it up again once I figured out
> where I left off.
>
> And to know for next time.
>
> I'm uploading 1000 jpg's and 20 to 50 mp4's from my Android phone to my
> laptop via cable. It's taken 30 minutes so far and seems like it has
> more than 2 more hours to go. And I need to do something with the last
> photo in the list. (Maybe I can anyhow.)

It depends on the phone, the hub, and the laptop. If it's USB 2.0 hub
but the laptop and phone support USB 3.0 then yes, it's likely slower to
upload through the hub.

Since you did not state the model of phone, model of hub, and model of
laptop, it's not possible to diagnose the issue, if there is one.