From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Subject: [Video Game] Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:07:45 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:07 UTC

https://gmkeros.wordpress.com/2023/12/12/video-game-ancestors-the-humankind-odyssey/?preview_id=5514&preview_nonce=66d0b5a920&preview=true

[Video Game] Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
The last few weeks I have been unduly fascinated by Ancestors: The
Humankind Odyssey, a 2019 game that was supposed to make the whole of
human evolution playable in a breathtaking journey.

You might think that’s promising a bit much, and it is. The game
released to rather critical reviews and never made the impact it was
supposed to.

And I see why. The game is intentionally impenetrable. It seems in the
beginning it didn’t even have the visual cues for the actions I came to
rely on, and even with those barely anything is explained. The tutorial
is brief and drops you directly into an intensely dangerous world, and
the game delights in telling you it won’t give you further hints.

You start as a tribe of hominids about 10 million years ago (the missing
link) and have to make your way to about 2.5 million years ago.

In between you have to steer your hominids, start figuring out the world
(horsetail good, mushrooms uuugh but filling), invent the first tools
like “stick” and “mud” (a truly versatile tool!), and, well, die a lot.

Everything seems made to kill you. Go too high up the tree and an eagle
gets you, go through grass a python gets you, walk through water a
crocodile eats you. And then there’s the stalker cat which often comes
unannounced and pounces you. And unlike the others the cats will stalk
you until they can kill you. I had one follow me from one side of one
biome to the other.
hominid carrying two kids through woodland

In between you carry kids with you, because it’s not important what you
do with your current character, unless kids see you do it and learn from
it. If you do enough of a particular action neural energy will grow and
new neurons will activate. In the end its a skill tree system, even if
developing it needs generations, or hundreds of thousands of years and a
single character will never survive it. From one generation to the next
a limited amount of newly learned skills can be kept, but what you
really need to get is mutations. These come randomly with new kids, but
they won’t become apparent until you do an evolutionary leap. But you
need them because some skills are gated by them, and you won’t be able
to progress unless you have them.

It’s all very complicated and worse, barely explained.

Unlike many other games this game has nearly no fantastic elements at
all. Everything is based on scientific research, there is no story at
all, outside of the story of how humans start becoming bipedal and
omnivorous… and start killing everything else I guess. The only element
I would term fantastical are the meteors.

Danger, here be spoilers: Every once in a while you discover a new
landmark and it triggers a cut scene where meteors rain down on the
landscape. These will smoke for a while (multiple generations and even
generational leaps), but in the end they stop. If your hominid finds
them they will gain further unity with the universe, and they will get a
free skill, and all kids present get a mutation. It becomes a convenient
shortcut to organize an expedition to a meteor site with as many kids as
possible to lock down as many mutations as possible over one or two
generations. Of course it turns out all these meteor sites have some
rather dangerous wildlife nearby, or are in rather inconvenient sites.
hominids feasting on raw meat

Even the actual goal of the game is barely communicated: you have to
reach the last evolutionary step in the game, reaching the genus homo
ergaster, and then the closing animation plays. I guess it was planned
that the next part of the series show the further development, alas I
don’t think the game was successful enough. It is rather niche, and the
only reason I even got it was because it was part of my Humble
subscription at one point. Still. It is an interesting game, and one
that I spent a lot of time on. It gives you an appreciation of how far
we’ve come, and how dangerous cats used to be. Or still are.

Re: [Video Game] Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

<umkvv0$i1a7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure#63

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Subject: Re: [Video Game] Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:22:06 -0700
 by: rms - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:22 UTC

>[Video Game] Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

Great review! I've never given this game a second thought, or had any
idea of the gameplay, but it sounds really interesting. I like the
science-based approach too

rms