Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

SubjectAuthor
* Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drivejaugustine
+- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveZaidy036
|`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveZaidy036
|  `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
|`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveStan Brown
| `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAnt
|  `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
|   +- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveHerbert Kleebauer
|   `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveCarlos E.R.
|    +* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
|    |`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
|    | `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
|    `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveFrank Slootweg
|`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
| `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveFrank Slootweg
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveStan Brown
|`- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveKen Blake
+* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveCarlos E.R.
|+- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
|`- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveMr. Man-wai Chang
 +* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
 |`- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveMr. Man-wai Chang
 `* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DrivePaul
  +* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drivejaugustine
  |`* Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drivewasbit
  | `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveAndy Burnelli
  `- Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash DriveMr. Man-wai Chang

Pages:12
Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4hu7i$nrj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61967&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61967

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:00:50 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:00 UTC

On 4/28/2022 5:12 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-04-28 15:10, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>      I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
>> sensitive information on it.
>>
>>      I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>>
>>      What method (Password protect or encrypt) do you think is better to
>> prevent access?
>>
>>      Also,  what is a good app to use for the task?
>>
>>           Thank You in advance,  John
>
> Password is not a real protection. If the algorithm is known, it only needs the interceptor to create a program with that same algorithm that ignores the password.
>
> But it is simple. My banks sends me by email PDF files protected by a password. I don't really know how safe is that.
>
> Encryption is the best. Besides what has been suggested, an alternative is to pack everything inside a zip archive (or your favourite archiver), then encrypt the result with PGP. Then, only then, copy that archive to the USB stick (or email).
>
> Of course, you two have to exchange keys before hand.
>
> PGP is good for a one time. If you need to do it often, then another method may be easier.
>
> It may be even possible that there is an archiver out there that also protects with PGP.

While you can list the security methods...

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/etk_deprecated/tools/QuickKeys/Acrobat_DocumentSecurityAlgoAll.pdf

it takes a lock-pick to tell you how good they really are.

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/36c3-pdf-encryption/33827/

"Others said they’d tried but couldn’t “fix the unfixable.”"

So I guess it's a flavor of AES256 Swiss Cheese. If you kept
the documents secure in transit, that's a start, to prevent
exfiltration attack.

*******

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/47560/what-are-the-vulnerabilities-of-using-a-256-bit-encrypted-pdf-file-over-email

"fixed in later versions ("extensions")"

The check is in the mail :-)

Paul

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4hvnl$1ec$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61968&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61968

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:26:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:26 UTC

On 4/29/2022 10:53 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 28/4/2022 9:10 pm, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>      I am thinking about using a USB flash drive to send to my son with
>> sensitive information on it.
>>
>>      I would like it protected in the event someone else intercepts it.
>
> Do you trust Bit-Locker? :)
>
> Do all those encryption progarms have a master key known only by govenrments? :)

I would trust the Windows 7 version.

It's possible the Windows 7 version pissed someone off.

You have to assume later versions were "adjusted according to requirements".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

"the UK Home Office expressed concern over the lack of a backdoor and tried
entering into talks with Microsoft to get one introduced.[48] Microsoft developer
and cryptographer Niels Ferguson denied the backdoor request and said,
"over my dead body."[49] Microsoft engineers have said that FBI agents also
put pressure on them in numerous meetings in order to add a backdoor,
although no formal, written request was ever made;"

"Other concerns

Starting with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, Microsoft removed the Elephant Diffuser
from the BitLocker scheme for no declared reason.[51] <===

Dan Rosendorf's research shows that removing the Elephant Diffuser had an
"undeniably negative impact" on the security of BitLocker encryption against a
targeted attack.[52] Microsoft later cited performance concerns, and noncompliance
with the Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS), to justify the diffuser's
removal.[53]

Starting with Windows 10 version 1511, however, Microsoft added a new FIPS-compliant XTS-AES
encryption algorithm to BitLocker.[1]
"

They also changed a preference to the usage of device security (encryption inside
the hard drive), as I guess there were some "bugs" in that. As you would expect,
Seagate would not have the "third party review" necessary to ferret out bugs
in whatever method they would use.

So you want software protection, and you want the Windows 7 version.

The removal of the Elephant Diffuser was the largest warning sign, of anything
that's been done.

*******

As for the notion of employing multiple encryptions, that can have
unintended consequences. The modern methods aren't likely to be factorable,
which could reduce the effect a bit. In some of the older methods, if you
applied two encryptions, the end result can be weaker than with
either single encryption alone.

It's pretty hard for end-users to reach judgments on these things,
unless there is an automated way to evaluate them.

*******

This is pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

Paul

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<6r7q6hdeq58pk0sdqpeot5jiigic2i6abi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62004&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62004

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:48:01 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:48 UTC

<SNIP>
>As for the notion of employing multiple encryptions, that can have
>unintended consequences. The modern methods aren't likely to be factorable,
>which could reduce the effect a bit. In some of the older methods, if you
>applied two encryptions, the end result can be weaker than with
>either single encryption alone.
>
>It's pretty hard for end-users to reach judgments on these things,
>unless there is an automated way to evaluate them.
>
>*******
>
>This is pretty good.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

UPDATE:

I forgot about HIP (Hide In Picture) I downloaded some time
ago. Don't have the site address.

I would not have made this Post if I remembered HIP.

The version I have requires Dos (I have DosBox) and has
a password protection in order to extract the file from the image.
Note: I could NOT detect any artifacts in the image.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses, John

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4jc3f$75b$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62014&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62014

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:03:25 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:03 UTC

On 30/4/2022 8:26 am, Paul wrote:
> On 4/29/2022 10:53 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
>>
>> Do you trust Bit-Locker? :)
>>
>> Do all those encryption progarms have a master key known only by govenrments? :)
>
> I would trust the Windows 7 version.
>
> It's possible the Windows 7 version pissed someone off.
>
> You have to assume later versions were "adjusted according to requirements".
> It's pretty hard for end-users to reach judgments on these things,
> unless there is an automated way to evaluate them.
>
> *******
>
> This is pretty good.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

Thanks!

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4jc4d$75b$2@toylet.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62015&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62015

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:03:54 +0800

On 30/4/2022 4:13 am, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I'm assuming the OP isn't hiding from a state sponsored adversary (as far
> as we know) so whatever security the OP uses will likely work just fine for
> his stated needs, I would think.
>
> Either 7-Zip or Veracrypt should work fine.

Thanks

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t4lfjs$8av$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62051&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62051

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:15:51 +0100
 by: wasbit - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:15 UTC

Hide in Picture - https://sourceforge.net/projects/hide-in-picture/

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Password Protect or Encrypt a USB Flash Drive

<t53odm$vm4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62258&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62258

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 19:12:26 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 6 May 2022 18:12 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> Hide in Picture - https://sourceforge.net/projects/hide-in-picture/

Thanks for that purposefully helpful link, wasbit.

If someone is gonna post a link, I generally read it.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hide-in-picture/

Apparently "Hide In Picture is a program that allows you to conceal files
inside bitmap pictures, using a password. The pictures look like normal
images, so people will not suspect there is hidden data in them."

https://versaweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/hide-in-picture/hide-in-picture/2.1/hip21_en.zip
Name: hip21_en.zip
Size: 379399 bytes (370 KiB)
SHA256: 5EB2D1B1C0404C131B3B9B5732D48B462643DC027E89B6AC2C1EBA2E2A76A72F

Directory of C:\installer\editor\pic\hip\hip21_en
05/06/2022 06:56 PM <DIR> .
05/06/2022 06:56 PM <DIR> ..
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 18,454 COPYING
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 29,139 hip.htm
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 28,194 hip.txt
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 295,715 hip_en.exe
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 403,183 winhip_en.exe

Name: winhip_en.exe
Size: 403183 bytes (393 KiB)
SHA256: 2B36E212B6A016E9F0502E766E7A973A46335C4F417DCB44F7671A0755D40FF9

Name: hip_en.exe
Size: 295715 bytes (288 KiB)
SHA256: A0E297A572A2DAECC62137A48474D8FF70BCBFFFBFD01445345E3A8C25EB6B93

Apparently it only works with GIF and BMP images.
Here is the result of my first (and only) test of this capability.
1. hip:File > Open picture > foo.bmp
hip:Image > Hide file > secret.pdf
Enter password: snafu
Confirm password: snafu
Encryption algorithm: {Blowfish,Rijndael}
[x]Write CRC
2. hip:File > Open picture > foo.bmp
hip:Image > Retrieve file
Enter password: {enter the wrong password}
HIP Error: No hidden file found
3. hip:File > Open picture > foo.bmp
hip:Image > Retrieve file
Enter password: {enter the correct password}
HIP File Save As > secret.pdf

In summary, I'm not sure how secure it is, nor how useful it could be, but
I've saved it in my freeware archives for future use if ever needed.
Installer: C:\installers\editors\pic\hip\hip21_en.zip
Installed: C:\apps\editors\pic\hip\winhip_en.exe
Taskbar: C:\menus\editors\pic\hip\hip.lnk
--
On Usenet, kind-hearted purposefully helpful people carry on polite
discussions which benefit everyone who participates in the conversation.