From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Epic: No Fortnite on SteamDeck
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 23:05:00 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 04:05 UTC

Yep, it's more from the "Well, duh!" news-center.

It turns out that Epic has no intentions of supporting their premier
game (and cash cow) "Fortnite" on their competitor's newest platform,
the Steam Deck. Their nominal reason is because Steam Deck runs on
Linux and all the dirty hackers there would be able to h4X0r the game
and ruin everybody's fun. Sure, "Fortnite" should run on the console,
and yes, Epic is updating their Easy Anti-Cheat software so it will
work on SteamDeck with other games... but "Fortnite" is just too big a
target to risk, says Epic CEO Tim Sweeney. That's the only reason for
the lack of support, honest.

Sure.

Well, Epic's gonna Epic, I guess. If they didn't piss off a bunch of
PC gamers every now and again, we might forget they exist, or
something. Linux users aren't happy either, seeing as Sweeney just
accused the community of being a bunch of hackers and undermining
support for their OS of choice. Even Fortnite fans aren't too happy,
not only being denied playing the game on some cool new portable tech,
but also apparently because Sweeney is suggesting Easy Anti-Cheat
isn't any good (I don't get it either). But anyway you look at it,
it's a stupid comment to make, and had Epic just been honest - 'Hey,
Valve is our biggest competitor and we don't feel like handing them
the keys to our kingdom, so we're keeping Fortnite off of their newest
product' - it probably would have kicked up less fuss.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me one way or anther - "Fortnite" holds no
appeal for me - but I just gotta love how Epic keeps walking itself
into messes of its own making. Personally I find their antics are more
entertaining than their games, these days.

Oh, and also: Epic also stated that while Valve isn't allowing any
games with NFT or cryptocoins on Steam, Epic has no problem with games
that make use of blockchain technology in their storefront. Because of
course they will.

Re: Epic: No Fortnite on SteamDeck

<su02vu$751$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6211&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6211

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Epic: No Fortnite on SteamDeck
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:54:05 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:54 UTC

On 09/02/2022 04:05, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Yep, it's more from the "Well, duh!" news-center.
>
> It turns out that Epic has no intentions of supporting their premier
> game (and cash cow) "Fortnite" on their competitor's newest platform,
> the Steam Deck. Their nominal reason is because Steam Deck runs on
> Linux and all the dirty hackers there would be able to h4X0r the game
> and ruin everybody's fun. Sure, "Fortnite" should run on the console,
> and yes, Epic is updating their Easy Anti-Cheat software so it will
> work on SteamDeck with other games... but "Fortnite" is just too big a
> target to risk, says Epic CEO Tim Sweeney. That's the only reason for
> the lack of support, honest.
>
> Sure.
>
> Well, Epic's gonna Epic, I guess. If they didn't piss off a bunch of
> PC gamers every now and again, we might forget they exist, or
> something. Linux users aren't happy either, seeing as Sweeney just
> accused the community of being a bunch of hackers and undermining
> support for their OS of choice. Even Fortnite fans aren't too happy,
> not only being denied playing the game on some cool new portable tech,
> but also apparently because Sweeney is suggesting Easy Anti-Cheat
> isn't any good (I don't get it either). But anyway you look at it,
> it's a stupid comment to make, and had Epic just been honest - 'Hey,
> Valve is our biggest competitor and we don't feel like handing them
> the keys to our kingdom, so we're keeping Fortnite off of their newest
> product' - it probably would have kicked up less fuss.
>
> Anyway, it doesn't bother me one way or anther - "Fortnite" holds no
> appeal for me - but I just gotta love how Epic keeps walking itself
> into messes of its own making. Personally I find their antics are more
> entertaining than their games, these days.
>
> Oh, and also: Epic also stated that while Valve isn't allowing any
> games with NFT or cryptocoins on Steam, Epic has no problem with games
> that make use of blockchain technology in their storefront. Because of
> course they will.

I'm never quite sure why companies think it's a good idea to treat your
customers like idiots. My guess is if you going to be beaten with a
stick don't put nails in and then hand it over.

Re: Epic: No Fortnite on SteamDeck

<su0m22$ghg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6212&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6212

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 07:19:31 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:19 UTC

On 2/9/2022 1:54 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 09/02/2022 04:05, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> Yep, it's more from the "Well, duh!" news-center.
>>
>> It turns out that Epic has no intentions of supporting their premier
>> game (and cash cow) "Fortnite" on their competitor's newest platform,
>> the Steam Deck. Their nominal reason is because Steam Deck runs on
>> Linux and all the dirty hackers there would be able to h4X0r the game
>> and ruin everybody's fun. Sure, "Fortnite" should run on the console,
>> and yes, Epic is updating their Easy Anti-Cheat software so it will
>> work on SteamDeck with other games... but "Fortnite" is just too big a
>> target to risk, says Epic CEO Tim Sweeney. That's the only reason for
>> the lack of support, honest.
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> Well, Epic's gonna Epic, I guess. If they didn't piss off a bunch of
>> PC gamers every now and again, we might forget they exist, or
>> something. Linux users aren't happy either, seeing as Sweeney just
>> accused the community of being a bunch of hackers and undermining
>> support for their OS of choice. Even Fortnite fans aren't too happy,
>> not only being denied playing the game on some cool new portable tech,
>> but also apparently because Sweeney is suggesting  Easy Anti-Cheat
>> isn't any good (I don't get it either). But anyway you look at it,
>> it's a stupid comment to make, and had Epic just been honest - 'Hey,
>> Valve is our biggest competitor and we don't feel like handing them
>> the keys to our kingdom, so we're keeping Fortnite off of their newest
>> product' - it probably would have kicked up less fuss.
>>
>> Anyway, it doesn't bother me one way or anther - "Fortnite" holds no
>> appeal for me - but I just gotta love how Epic keeps walking itself
>> into messes of its own making. Personally I find their antics are more
>> entertaining than their games, these days.
>>
>> Oh, and also: Epic also stated that while Valve isn't allowing any
>> games with NFT or cryptocoins on Steam, Epic has no problem with games
>> that make use of blockchain technology in their storefront. Because of
>> course they will.
>>

> I'm never quite sure why companies think it's a good idea to treat your
> customers like idiots. My guess is if you going to be beaten with a
> stick don't put nails in and then hand it over.

All sales people think "customers" are idiots and suckers. And since
marketing usually wags the dog....

dirty old man.

Re: Epic: No Fortnite on SteamDeck

<su0rqe$rni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6213&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6213

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:57:50 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 16:57 UTC

Am 09.02.22 um 16:19 schrieb Dimensional Traveler:
>> I'm never quite sure why companies think it's a good idea to treat
>> your customers like idiots. My guess is if you going to be beaten with
>> a stick don't put nails in and then hand it over.
>>
> All sales people think "customers" are idiots and suckers.  And since
> marketing usually wags the dog....

In this case it is Tim Sweeney himself...
But anyway, Epic is a little bit like the school Bully no one wants to
play with, but you cannot avoid for certain things.

Re: Epic: No Fortnite on SteamDeck

<d7a442b1-5ea6-4fa5-8e47-695bd2eeeac6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6215&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6215

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:13:08 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 20:13 UTC

On Wednesday, February 9, 2022 at 8:57:52 AM UTC-8, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 09.02.22 um 16:19 schrieb Dimensional Traveler:
> >> I'm never quite sure why companies think it's a good idea to treat
> >> your customers like idiots. My guess is if you going to be beaten with
> >> a stick don't put nails in and then hand it over.
> >>
> > All sales people think "customers" are idiots and suckers. And since
> > marketing usually wags the dog....
> In this case it is Tim Sweeney himself...
> But anyway, Epic is a little bit like the school Bully no one wants to
> play with, but you cannot avoid for certain things.

Who's trying to buy the election for school treasurer with gifts.

- Justisaur

Re: Epic: No Fortnite on SteamDeck

<bjma0hldt268n9hvrbr5hsq9v2jjdhdklg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6218&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6218

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:40:36 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:40 UTC

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:13:08 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In this case it is Tim Sweeney himself...

>> But anyway, Epic is a little bit like the school Bully no one wants to
>> play with, but you cannot avoid for certain things.

>Who's trying to buy the election for school treasurer with gifts.

Heh-heh. I like that comparison.

Yes, these comments were made by Sweeney and aren't /official/
press-statements. It's obvious he was speaking a bit off the cuff
('Doing an Elon') but seeing as he is the CEO of Epic /and/ that the
company hasn't come out with a 'clarifying' response (even one so
wishy-washy as to say 'We haven't yet decided whether or not to port
Fortnite to Steam Deck,' I think we can take Sweeney at his word.

Anyway, it's not really news that Epic isn't going to have a Steam
Deck version of "Fortnite"; I don't think anyone really expected it.
The news is just how (once again) a C-level exec jams his foot in his
mouth with another unscripted comment that can't help but make you
smile... and also wonder how any of them are possibly worth their
incredibly high salaries.

Then again, we /are/ talking about Epic Games again, so I guess that's
worth something...