From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: iOS-Android-Features [157a] Screen Mirroring to Windows PCs
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 01:52:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 2 May 2022 00:52 UTC

Regarding this _excellent_ and rather detailed comprehensive document:
<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>

Here is my correction to item 157a to help make Steve's well-researched
rather detailed comparison document even better (i.e., more accurate),
where I ask others to pitch in to correct and improve upon my
notes below, in case I've erred myself in presenting the facts as I know
them. The goal is to publicly document suggested changes & discuss them if
necessary, so that Steve can reliably update his document given the fact
checking he needs for his hundreds of items to be accurately listed.

Note to iKooks: Just claiming Steve's document is wrong without supplying
any facts is what you do because you _hate_ when it's right. Don't do that.

Either _correct_ the document in a constructive manner, or stop brazenly
defending everything about Apple without ever supplying any actual facts.

Note: The free Vysor & foss scrcpy solutions also work on Linux & macOS but
since Steve's paragraph only covered the Windows PC, I omitted those
operating systems in the correction below, which I supply for your review.

CURRENT:
157a. Screen mirroring to Windows PCs. You can mirror your Android phone's
screen to your Windows PC, for free, using Microsoft's Phone Link App (see
Get Phone Link - Microsoft Store). For the iPhone and iPad, it's possible
to do screen mirroring to a Windows PC but it isn't free, i.e. Mirroring360
which is $11.99 per receiving computer. There's an article about this here:
How to Mirror Your iPhone Screen on a Computer | PCMag. There are free
trials of some of the paid solutions.

SUGGESTED CORRECTION:
157a. Screen mirroring to Windows PCs. You can mirror your Android phone's
screen to your Windows PC over USB or Wi-Fi such that your keyboard & mouse
work on both simultaneously (including file drag and drop, clipboard
copy/paste & pinch to zoom, etc.) using a variety of free tools such as
Microsoft's Phone Link App (see Get Phone Link - Microsoft Store).

While Microsoft's solution requires free companion apps on both the Android
device & the Windows computer, other free Android mirroring tools only need
to be installed on the Windows PC to seamlessly mirror Android over USB or
Wi-Fi such as the Genymotion-donated FOSS scrcpy utility
(https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy/blob/master/README.md)
which can also drag and drop to install Android apps from Windows.

In addition, the feature-limited free version of Vysor payware
(https://www.vysor.io/)
does what scrcpy does but it also seamlessly mirrors Android to the Windows
PC remotely over the Internet.

The Vysor free solution is also said to be able to mirror the iPhone and
iPad screen onto a Windows PC if you already have either iTunes or Apple
Mobile Device Support installed on that PC. As such, Vysor appears to be
the only completely free solution yet known for iOS mirroring on Windows.

There's an article about iOS screen mirroring to Windows here:
How to Mirror Your iPhone Screen on a Computer | PCMag,
which suggests, for iOS, that there are time-limited free trials of some of
the paid solutions.
--
Note: I've thoroughly and extensively tested both the Vysor & scrcpy
Android solutions, but I caveat those tests with the fact that iTunes (and

Vysor
<https://i.postimg.cc/QNwjsCDM/vysor01.jpg> Vysor Android/iOS PC mirroring
<https://i.postimg.cc/V6TPYG3h/vysor02.jpg> Vysor console operation
<https://i.postimg.cc/v8gc5pHc/vysor03.jpg> Vysor remote sharing