In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble. -- Alan Perlis

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

SubjectAuthor
* organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
+* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Big Al
|`* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
| +* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Nic
| |+- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
| |`* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Paul
| | `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
| |  +- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Paul
| |  `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Nic
| |   `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
| |    +* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Nic
| |    |`- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
| |    `- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?dillinger
| `- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Paul
+* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Monsieur
|`- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
+- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Nic
`* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?pinnerite
 `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
  `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Big Al
   `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
    `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?pinnerite
     +- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Paul
     `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
      `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Big Al
       `* Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Edmund
        +- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?pinnerite
        `- Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?Big Al

Pages:12
organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u59hq1$2nr6m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6203&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6203

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:36:33 +0200
 by: Edmund - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 07:36 UTC

organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5a1vn$2pjqh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6204&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6204

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:12:38 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:12 UTC

On 6/1/23 03:36, this is what Edmund wrote:
> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>
> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.

Then break the folder into 3 or 4 or 5 folders. Just randomly. If you have 500 pics, divide it into 100 in each of 5.
Then see if thumb will handle it. (actually just put 100 in a folder and test 100 or some other arbitrary number).
If it works, sort the 5 folders, then manually merge the 5 broken down groups.

I tried PIX, it will sort by things but going into preferences and telling to show all sorts of date fields in the
browser just doesn't get too many. Other than a pack of 10 photos I too of my couch for a repairman, no other folders
had any reliable date tag to sort by.

I don't have my digitized 35mm slides handy but even a good part of those were run through photoshop to do further clean
up. Editing photos can/might remove exif data.

That's why I put things in dated folders from the get-go. "2023 05 31 - Birthday Party for Tom" or such.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5a7hf$2q5ki$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6205&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6205

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:47:27 +0200
 by: Edmund - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:47 UTC

On 6/1/23 14:12, Big Al wrote:
> On 6/1/23 03:36, this is what Edmund wrote:
>> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>>
>> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
>> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.
>>

> Then break the folder into 3 or 4 or 5 folders.  Just randomly.  If  you have 500 pics, divide it into 100 in each of 5.   Then see if thumb will handle it.  (actually just put 100 in a folder and test 100 or some other arbitrary number).
> If it works, sort the 5 folders, then manually merge the 5 broken down groups.
>
> I tried PIX, it will sort by things but going into preferences and telling to show all sorts of date fields in the browser just doesn't get too many.  Other than a pack of 10 photos I too of my couch for a repairman, no other folders had any reliable
> date tag to sort by.
>
> I don't have my digitized 35mm slides handy but even a good part of those were run through photoshop to do further clean up.  Editing photos can/might remove exif data.
>
> That's why I put things in dated folders from the get-go.  "2023 05 31 - Birthday Party for Tom" or such.

Well I made a mess of it, not all my bad. Camera's give pictures different names, over the years several camera's are used.
Now I want to clean up things and one program made folders based on the date the picture was taken, that result is 365 folders per year which is not going the help.

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<7M1eM.361472$eRZ7.121387@fx06.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6206&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6206

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:17:39 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:17 UTC

On 6/1/23 9:47 AM, Edmund wrote:
> On 6/1/23 14:12, Big Al wrote:
>> On 6/1/23 03:36, this is what Edmund wrote:
>>> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>>>
>>> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
>>> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.
>>>

>> Then break the folder into 3 or 4 or 5 folders.  Just randomly. If
>> you have 500 pics, divide it into 100 in each of 5.   Then see if
>> thumb will handle it.  (actually just put 100 in a folder and test
>> 100 or some other arbitrary number).
>> If it works, sort the 5 folders, then manually merge the 5 broken
>> down groups.
>>
>> I tried PIX, it will sort by things but going into preferences and
>> telling to show all sorts of date fields in the browser just doesn't
>> get too many.  Other than a pack of 10 photos I too of my couch for a
>> repairman, no other folders had any reliable date tag to sort by.
>>
>> I don't have my digitized 35mm slides handy but even a good part of
>> those were run through photoshop to do further clean up. Editing
>> photos can/might remove exif data.
>>
>> That's why I put things in dated folders from the get-go.  "2023 05
>> 31 - Birthday Party for Tom" or such.
>
> Well I made a mess of it, not all my bad. Camera's give pictures
> different names, over the years several camera's are used.
> Now I want to clean up things and one program made folders based on
> the date the picture was taken, that result is 365 folders per year
> which is not going the help.

See if you can make use of the built in Renamer, highlight a group of
files and see if you can group them into something that can be catalogued.

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5af0m$2r036$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6207&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6207

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:55:02 +0200
 by: Edmund - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:55 UTC

On 6/1/23 16:17, Nic wrote:
> On 6/1/23 9:47 AM, Edmund wrote:

>>> Then break the folder into 3 or 4 or 5 folders.  Just randomly. If you have 500 pics, divide it into 100 in each of 5.   Then see if thumb will handle it.  (actually just put 100 in a folder and test 100 or some other arbitrary number).
>>> If it works, sort the 5 folders, then manually merge the 5 broken down groups.
>>>
>>> I tried PIX, it will sort by things but going into preferences and telling to show all sorts of date fields in the browser just doesn't get too many.  Other than a pack of 10 photos I too of my couch for a repairman, no other folders had any
>>> reliable date tag to sort by.
>>>
>>> I don't have my digitized 35mm slides handy but even a good part of those were run through photoshop to do further clean up. Editing photos can/might remove exif data.
>>>
>>> That's why I put things in dated folders from the get-go.  "2023 05 31 - Birthday Party for Tom" or such.
>>
>> Well I made a mess of it, not all my bad. Camera's give pictures different names, over the years several camera's are used.
>> Now I want to clean up things and one program made folders based on the date the picture was taken, that result is 365 folders per year which is not going the help.
>>

> See if you can make use of the built in Renamer, highlight a group of files and see if you can group them into something that can be catalogued.

That is possible with the tiny little problem that I have to go to all files manually first.
I am talking 10000 + files.

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5agq0$2r71o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6208&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6208

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:25:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:25 UTC

On 6/1/2023 9:47 AM, Edmund wrote:
> On 6/1/23 14:12, Big Al wrote:
>> On 6/1/23 03:36, this is what Edmund wrote:
>>> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>>>
>>> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
>>> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.
>>>

>> Then break the folder into 3 or 4 or 5 folders.  Just randomly.  If  you have 500 pics, divide it into 100 in each of 5.   Then see if thumb will handle it.  (actually just put 100 in a folder and test 100 or some other arbitrary number).
>> If it works, sort the 5 folders, then manually merge the 5 broken down groups.
>>
>> I tried PIX, it will sort by things but going into preferences and telling to show all sorts of date fields in the browser just doesn't get too many.  Other than a pack of 10 photos I too of my couch for a repairman, no other folders had any reliable date tag to sort by.
>>
>> I don't have my digitized 35mm slides handy but even a good part of those were run through photoshop to do further clean up.  Editing photos can/might remove exif data.
>>
>> That's why I put things in dated folders from the get-go.  "2023 05 31 - Birthday Party for Tom" or such.
>
> Well I made a mess of it, not all my bad. Camera's give pictures different names, over the years several camera's are used.
> Now I want to clean up things and one program made folders based on the date the picture was taken, that result is 365 folders per year which is not going the help.

What I see here, is DCIM entries filed more or less as "sessions", and once the date
on the camera timepiece flips, the camera assumes it is a new session and makes a new folder.

This means I might take two groups of three photos in my own "sessions", and those six go
into "175..." something or other, indicating it is the 175th time I have done that. The
camera file system has dates assigned.

The same DCIM structure is used on smartphones and their camera and shooting sessions. On a
smartphone, DCIM data is kept separate from OS data, and the security arrangements are different.
This is intended to treat the smartphone camera, almost as if the camera function is "separate".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system#Directory_and_file_structure

"The standard leaves room for varying types of file and directory organisations."

Once pictures come off a digital camera, you can tag them, use a search engine to look
for combinations of tags and so on. Since the picture files from the camera, have an incrementing
numeric field, the names should not collide when generated by the same camera device day
after day. However, if you were moving an SD from a Nikon to a Canon and back again,
I'm sure the structure is screwed six ways from Sunday.

*******

Some cameras have GPS, and based on the GPS metadata stamped on the file, you can
later generate your own notes for the picture. Like after you come back from a trip.
My little camera does not have GPS, so that's one field that is missing from the
metadata in the image file. Smartphones are more likely to have GPS. You might notice
on Monday you were in Los Angeles, and on Tuesday you were in New York. Whereas I
would have Monday and Tuesday, as my only hints.

With a GPS camera, your shooting style would change. Once you get to Aunt Millies
house in New York, you stand outside the house and shoot a picture of the house.
The GPS camera can receive a radio signal while it is outdoors, and the "house shot"
is in effect, a geo-stamp for the session. Pictures shot inside the house, the GPS
signal is missing, so later when piecing the logic of the session together, it is
the "house shot" that establishes the location of the following shots (where the GPS
radio signal cannot be received from space). There will be lots of structures, where
the precise GPS location is unknown, and unless you shoot a reference shot while
outdoors, you are missing the location clue.

*******

My GPS (for the computer room only) has to be right on the window sill, to get a signal.
it takes its sweet time getting a fix. There is more than one positioning system,
and a module like this, may not work with all of them. I use this for acquiring a
precise time of day, rather than determining my computer room is not moving on
the face of the earth :-) The interface on this one, is a TTL-level serial port
(not RS232 voltages), so the GPS has its own USB cable to convert from TTL serial to USB.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/746

To get a precise time of day, you would buy a PCI Express serial port for the
computer, and tie 1PPS (TTL level) to RI# (TTL level serial port), and as long
as the serial port has "interrupt on Ring Indication", that allows getting the
time fix with maybe 100 nanoseconds of slop. The 1PPS is resynced via a fairly
high speed clock inside the GPS module, and the edge of 1PPS is within one clock
tick of that high speed clock. So the slop is down at the nanosecond level, if
only your computer had a good interrupt scheme to detect the edge.

If a camera has a GPS, that also allows the camera firmware to correct the
onboard timepiece, with great accuracy. For as long as the camera is outdoors.
Since my camera does not have GPS, I have to re-enter the date manually when
it is "off by a bit".

Paul

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5ah8c$2r8je$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6209&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6209

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:33:15 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:33 UTC

On 6/1/2023 10:17 AM, Nic wrote:
> On 6/1/23 9:47 AM, Edmund wrote:

>>> Then break the folder into 3 or 4 or 5 folders.  Just randomly. If you have 500 pics, divide it into 100 in each of 5.   Then see if thumb will handle it.  (actually just put 100 in a folder and test 100 or some other arbitrary number).
>>> If it works, sort the 5 folders, then manually merge the 5 broken down groups.
>>>
>>> I tried PIX, it will sort by things but going into preferences and telling to show all sorts of date fields in the browser just doesn't get too many.  Other than a pack of 10 photos I too of my couch for a repairman, no other folders had any reliable date tag to sort by.
>>>
>>> I don't have my digitized 35mm slides handy but even a good part of those were run through photoshop to do further clean up. Editing photos can/might remove exif data.
>>>
>>> That's why I put things in dated folders from the get-go.  "2023 05 31 - Birthday Party for Tom" or such.
>>
>> Well I made a mess of it, not all my bad. Camera's give pictures different names, over the years several camera's are used.
>> Now I want to clean up things and one program made folders based on the date the picture was taken, that result is 365 folders per year which is not going the help.
>>

> See if you can make use of the built in Renamer, highlight a group of files and see if you can group them into something that can be catalogued.

You can edit the metadata on an image file. There is some scheme for a "comment field".
You're not limited to turning the image filename into an "MP3 mess" :-) Some MP3
files end up with filenames that are so long, they run into the file system limit
for length.

Assigning tags to a file, like "AuntMillie", "Dog", "Parrot", can allow you to find
a specific shot of AuntMillie feeding her parrot to the dog. And then if your computer
search system indexes the tags it finds, you have a way of searching for stuff. You could
search for all pictures with "Dog" in them, or "Dog" AND NOT "AuntMillie".

You can even search images by their size, such as "1024x768" "Millie" and restrict
the search to pictures shot with your old Kodak P&S.

Do Properties on a JPG from your camera, and see what it has got for metadata entries.

EXIFTool is an example of a metadata editor.

Paul

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5ambk$2rneg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6210&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6210

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 20:00:20 +0200
 by: Edmund - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 18:00 UTC

On 6/1/23 18:33, Paul wrote:
> On 6/1/2023 10:17 AM, Nic wrote:

>>> Well I made a mess of it, not all my bad. Camera's give pictures different names, over the years several camera's are used.
>>> Now I want to clean up things and one program made folders based on the date the picture was taken, that result is 365 folders per year which is not going the help.
>>>

>> See if you can make use of the built in Renamer, highlight a group of files and see if you can group them into something that can be catalogued.
>
> You can edit the metadata on an image file. There is some scheme for a "comment field".
> You're not limited to turning the image filename into an "MP3 mess" :-) Some MP3
> files end up with filenames that are so long, they run into the file system limit
> for length.
>
> Assigning tags to a file, like "AuntMillie", "Dog", "Parrot", can allow you to find
> a specific shot of AuntMillie feeding her parrot to the dog. And then if your computer
> search system indexes the tags it finds, you have a way of searching for stuff. You could
> search for all pictures with "Dog" in them, or "Dog" AND NOT "AuntMillie".
>
> You can even search images by their size, such as "1024x768"  "Millie" and restrict
> the search to pictures shot with your old Kodak P&S.
>
> Do Properties on a JPG from your camera, and see what it has got for metadata entries.
>
> EXIFTool is an example of a metadata editor.
>
>    Paul

Thanks but no thanks I have 10.000 + pictures from decades made by 20 camera's.
Then there are pictures downloaded or send by friends.
If you have a GUI prog that divide the pictures on date for each year I be happy
Stuff that create 365 folders for each year is not what I am looking for.

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5aq67$2s776$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6211&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6211

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:05:43 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:05 UTC

On 6/1/2023 2:00 PM, Edmund wrote:

> Thanks but no thanks I have 10.000 + pictures from decades made by 20 camera's.
> Then there are pictures downloaded or send by friends.
> If you have a GUI prog that divide the pictures on date for each year I be happy
> Stuff that create 365 folders for each year is not what I am looking for.

There are two dates on your photos.

Origin
Date taken: 5/10/2023 3:55PM <=== metadata inside file, as stamped by camera timepiece.
This info is only as good, as the camera maintenance skill of the operator.
File
Date created: 5/10/2023 4:01PM <=== these are computer file system dates, and not as reliable
Date modified: 5/10/2023 4:01PM

If the latter two dates are corrupted from "too much copying"
with computers, the metadata date can be used to correct
the date. So if you notice the dates on the computer folder
files seem illogical, the "real" date is still inside the file
as a metadata field "Date taken".

*******

No two people think the same way about organizing files,
and I'm not trying to propose any approach. Generally, organizing
photos works best if you do it the day after you shoot the photos,
as that way, the amount of work is reasonable.

You can look at famous examples of organizers. This one seems
pretty basic, in terms of the things that count.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picasa

"Other features include slide shows, printing, and image timelines."

Perhaps you could check and see what software today handles
"image timelines", as that may help cluster photos in groups,
by date. Thus, a vacation set, may stand out as a large
group of photos.

Hopefully, the software in that case uses "Date taken" and
ignores the file system dates (which can be corrupt). Sometimes
you even find a file from a camera, with a file system 1970 date, implying
the date field in the file system was set to zero or some similar
illogical value.

Paul

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<B_6eM.2302480$gGD7.1327232@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6212&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6212

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:14:25 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 20:14 UTC

On 6/1/23 2:00 PM, Edmund wrote:
> On 6/1/23 18:33, Paul wrote:

>>> See if you can make use of the built in Renamer, highlight a group
>>> of files and see if you can group them into something that can be
>>> catalogued.
>>
>> You can edit the metadata on an image file. There is some scheme for
>> a "comment field".
>> You're not limited to turning the image filename into an "MP3 mess"
>> :-) Some MP3
>> files end up with filenames that are so long, they run into the file
>> system limit
>> for length.
>>
>> Assigning tags to a file, like "AuntMillie", "Dog", "Parrot", can
>> allow you to find
>> a specific shot of AuntMillie feeding her parrot to the dog. And then
>> if your computer
>> search system indexes the tags it finds, you have a way of searching
>> for stuff. You could
>> search for all pictures with "Dog" in them, or "Dog" AND NOT
>> "AuntMillie".
>>
>> You can even search images by their size, such as "1024x768" "Millie"
>> and restrict
>> the search to pictures shot with your old Kodak P&S.
>>
>> Do Properties on a JPG from your camera, and see what it has got for
>> metadata entries.
>>
>> EXIFTool is an example of a metadata editor.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Thanks but no thanks I have 10.000 + pictures from decades made by 20
> camera's.
> Then there are pictures downloaded or send by friends.
> If you have a GUI prog that divide the pictures on date for each year
> I be happy
> Stuff that create 365 folders for each year is not what I am looking for.

Take a look at Shotwell a digital photo organizer, found in the
repository. LM20.3

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5ca6u$34kg1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6215&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6215

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 10:45:18 +0200
 by: Edmund - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 08:45 UTC

On 6/1/23 22:14, Nic wrote:
> On 6/1/23 2:00 PM, Edmund wrote:

>>> You can edit the metadata on an image file. There is some scheme for
>>> a "comment field".
>>> You're not limited to turning the image filename into an "MP3 mess"
>>> :-) Some MP3
>>> files end up with filenames that are so long, they run into the file
>>> system limit
>>> for length.
>>>
>>> Assigning tags to a file, like "AuntMillie", "Dog", "Parrot", can
>>> allow you to find
>>> a specific shot of AuntMillie feeding her parrot to the dog. And then
>>> if your computer
>>> search system indexes the tags it finds, you have a way of searching
>>> for stuff. You could
>>> search for all pictures with "Dog" in them, or "Dog" AND NOT
>>> "AuntMillie".
>>>
>>> You can even search images by their size, such as "1024x768" "Millie"
>>> and restrict
>>> the search to pictures shot with your old Kodak P&S.
>>>
>>> Do Properties on a JPG from your camera, and see what it has got for
>>> metadata entries.
>>>
>>> EXIFTool is an example of a metadata editor.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> Thanks but no thanks I have 10.000 + pictures from decades made by 20
>> camera's.
>> Then there are pictures downloaded or send by friends.
>> If you have a GUI prog that divide the pictures on date for each year
>> I be happy
>> Stuff that create 365 folders for each year is not what I am looking for.
>>

> Take a look at Shotwell a digital photo organizer, found in the
> repository. LM20.3

This can help, first after installing it I've got TWO versions, one is a
viewer which can do basically nothing, no harm done but WTF, why don't
they tell there are TWO versions installed.
OK on the the real thing, I tested a small folder it made "events" and
now I want tot undo or delete this.....

Searching on the website about event bring me to "event meetings"
Any idea how to delete this?

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<kYkeM.858918$PXw7.571771@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6216&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6216

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 08:07:44 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 12:07 UTC

On 6/2/23 4:45 AM, Edmund wrote:
> On 6/1/23 22:14, Nic wrote:

>>> Thanks but no thanks I have 10.000 + pictures from decades made by
>>> 20 camera's.
>>> Then there are pictures downloaded or send by friends.
>>> If you have a GUI prog that divide the pictures on date for each
>>> year I be happy
>>> Stuff that create 365 folders for each year is not what I am looking
>>> for.
>>>

>> Take a look at Shotwell a digital photo organizer, found in the
>> repository. LM20.3
>
> This can help, first after installing it I've got TWO versions, one is
> a viewer which can do basically nothing, no harm done but WTF, why
> don't they tell there are TWO versions installed.
> OK on the the real thing, I tested a small folder it made "events" and
> now I want tot undo or delete this.....
>
> Searching on the website about event bring me to "event meetings"
> Any idea how to delete this?
>
> Edmund

try shift-delete

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<foipkj-nv2.ln1@spock.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6217&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6217

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 18:42:23 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: dillin...@invalid.not (dillinger)
 by: dillinger - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 16:42 UTC

On 02-06-2023 10:45, Edmund wrote:
> OK on the the real thing, I tested a small folder it made "events" and
> now I want tot undo or delete this.....
>
> Searching on the website about event bring me to "event meetings"
> Any idea how to delete this?

Shotwell organizes pictures in events.

http://yorba.org/shotwell/help/event.html

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5fedr$qp67$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6220&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6220

From: Monsi...@notreal.invalid (Monsieur)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 15:15:39 +0200
 by: Monsieur - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 13:15 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>
> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.

Have you tried XnView?

https://www.xnview.com/en/

Great program, one of my favorites.

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<apJeM.859432$PXw7.674375@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6222&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6222

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 11:56:54 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 15:56 UTC

On 6/1/23 3:36 AM, Edmund wrote:
> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>
> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.

Nearly 10,000 photos from first son Hunter Biden's laptop are available
to the public through a website that launched Thursday.

Former Trump White House aide Garrett Ziegler, the founder of the
nonprofit research group Marco Polo, said his team took months to review
thousands of photos dating from 2008 to 2019 before publishing them
Thursday on BidenLaptopMedia.com <https://bidenlaptopmedia.com/>.

How were these handled?

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5jsa5$91jn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6228&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6228

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 07:37:09 +0200
 by: Edmund - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 05:37 UTC

On 6/2/23 14:07, Nic wrote:
> On 6/2/23 4:45 AM, Edmund wrote:

>>> Take a look at Shotwell a digital photo organizer, found in the
>>> repository. LM20.3
>>
>> This can help, first after installing it I've got TWO versions, one is
>> a viewer which can do basically nothing, no harm done but WTF, why
>> don't they tell there are TWO versions installed.
>> OK on the the real thing, I tested a small folder it made "events" and
>> now I want tot undo or delete this.....
>>
>> Searching on the website about event bring me to "event meetings"
>> Any idea how to delete this?
>>
>> Edmund
>>
> try shift-delete

Can't try anymore because I deleted the dot-shotwell folder.
As far i can see, shotwell and others have great potential but none of
what I have found is finished.
I read comments and bugs from three years ago, but they haven't fix it.

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u5jst4$944j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6229&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6229

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 07:47:15 +0200
 by: Edmund - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 05:47 UTC

On 6/3/23 15:15, Monsieur wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>>
>> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
>> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.
>
> Have you tried XnView?
>
> https://www.xnview.com/en/
>
> Great program, one of my favorites.

Thanks tried it and stumbled over a couple of things.
It has a great tool for me, checking double pictures based on picture
data, great.
Not so great ... I can't figure out what to do with that. It shows
in a for my eyes a too small window the double pictures, and I can't
figure out how to select these other then one by one.

I found useful options in other programs too and similar problems of
not being able to use these options.
It is either very counter intuitive or not finished.

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<20230615192919.a4caa0ef64ae5f567a3a733c@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6290&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6290

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 19:29:19 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 18:29 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:36:33 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>
> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.
>

> --
> The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
> Then we have organizations established from pure evil.
>
> Edmund

My circumstances may be different but fed up with boxes and trays of family pictures cluttering up life I decided to digitise the lot.

I started with 35mm transparencies because the date of processing was a usefull guide.
Withiin a folder named "Chronology" I added subfolders by year. The oldest is 1894 (granparents identity documents).

Eventually I had gone through over 10,000 negsatives, prints etc.

Some could not be identified by year so I started a "Nominal" folder within which were subfolders named with tat of the principal character in each frame. When I fhad inished the subfolder with the largest number of items was.... our bernese mountain dog!

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-73-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u6h2r5$ov4m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6291&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6291

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 09:26:28 +0200
 by: Edmund - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 07:26 UTC

On 6/15/23 20:29, pinnerite wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:36:33 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>>
>> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
>> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.
>>

>> --
>> The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
>> Then we have organizations established from pure evil.
>>
>> Edmund
>
> My circumstances may be different but fed up with boxes and trays of family pictures cluttering up life I decided to digitise the lot.
>
> I started with 35mm transparencies because the date of processing was a usefull guide.
> Withiin a folder named "Chronology" I added subfolders by year. The oldest is 1894 (granparents identity documents).
>
> Eventually I had gone through over 10,000 negsatives, prints etc.
>
> Some could not be identified by year so I started a "Nominal" folder within which were subfolders named with tat of the principal character in each frame. When I fhad inished the subfolder with the largest number of items was.... our bernese mountain dog!
>
> Alan

Our circumstances have a lot in common I think.
Anyway, so far I found XNView the best prog for my needs BUT as way too
many times in "linux" software, it is half backed not finished.
It has a beautiful and equally useless option, it can detect similar
pictures even if they named differently. How great is that?
Read on, it shows the found pictures in a not resizable way too small
windows so one cannot SEE if the pictures are equal or not, how
brilliant is that? :-)
Hold on, if 7000 similar pictures are found one CAN NOT select these to
copy move or delete then, they must be selected one by one....
Well its kind of funny but useless, when I find time I check if there is
a windows program that simply works.....
Greetings from another dog lover.

Edmund

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u6hjuk$qtf8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6292&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6292

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 08:18:26 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:18 UTC

On 6/16/23 03:26, this is what Edmund wrote:
> On 6/15/23 20:29, pinnerite wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:36:33 +0200
>> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> organizing huge picture folder, what is best?
>>>
>>> I tried a thumb but is crashes or freezes with too many pictures.
>>> Something that divide it in parts of a year might help.
>>>

>>> --
>>> The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both
>>> inside and outside.
>>> Then we have organizations established from pure evil.
>>>
>>> Edmund
>>
>> My circumstances may be different but fed up with boxes and trays of family pictures cluttering up life I decided to
>> digitise the lot.
>>
>> I started with 35mm transparencies because the date of processing was a usefull guide.
>> Withiin a folder named "Chronology" I added subfolders by year. The oldest is 1894 (granparents identity documents).
>>
>> Eventually I had gone through over 10,000 negsatives, prints etc.
>>
>> Some could not be identified by year so I started a "Nominal" folder within which were subfolders named with tat of
>> the principal character in each frame. When I fhad inished the subfolder with the largest number of items was.... our
>> bernese mountain dog!
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Our circumstances have a lot in common I think.
> Anyway, so far I found XNView the best prog for my needs BUT as way too many times in "linux" software, it is half
> backed not finished.
> It has a beautiful and equally useless option, it can detect similar pictures even if they named differently. How great
> is that?
> Read on, it shows the found pictures in a not resizable way too small windows so one cannot SEE if the pictures are
> equal or not, how brilliant is that? :-)
> Hold on, if 7000 similar pictures are found one CAN NOT select these to
> copy move or delete then, they must be selected one by one....
> Well its kind of funny but useless, when I find time I check if there is
> a windows program that simply works.....
> Greetings from another dog lover.
>
> Edmund

I live in a perfect world, but I'd try to send feedback somehow. You seem to have a very good view of a very poor UI
design and they should hear about it.
Now in the real world, will they change anything? (No reply to that necessary).

--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u6hmj4$r516$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6293&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6293

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:03:32 +0200
 by: Edmund - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 13:03 UTC

On 6/16/23 14:18, Big Al wrote:
> On 6/16/23 03:26, this is what Edmund wrote:
>> On 6/15/23 20:29, pinnerite wrote:

>>> My circumstances may be different but fed up with boxes and trays of
>>> family pictures cluttering up life I decided to digitise the lot.
>>>
>>> I started with 35mm transparencies because the date of processing was
>>> a usefull guide.
>>> Withiin a folder named "Chronology" I added subfolders by year. The
>>> oldest is 1894 (granparents identity documents).
>>>
>>> Eventually I had gone through over 10,000 negsatives, prints etc.
>>>
>>> Some could not be identified by year so I started a "Nominal" folder
>>> within which were subfolders named with tat of the principal
>>> character in each frame. When I fhad inished the subfolder with the
>>> largest number of items was.... our bernese mountain dog!
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>

>> Our circumstances have a lot in common I think.
>> Anyway, so far I found XNView the best prog for my needs BUT as way
>> too many times in "linux" software, it is half backed not finished.
>> It has a beautiful and equally useless option, it can detect similar
>> pictures even if they named differently. How great is that?
>> Read on, it shows the found pictures in a not resizable way too small
>> windows so one cannot SEE if the pictures are equal or not, how
>> brilliant is that? :-)
>> Hold on, if 7000 similar pictures are found one CAN NOT select these to
>> copy move or delete then, they must be selected one by one....
>> Well its kind of funny but useless, when I find time I check if there is
>> a windows program that simply works.....
>> Greetings from another dog lover.
>>
>> Edmund
>>

> I live in a perfect world, but I'd try to send feedback somehow.

You made it!

> You seem to have a very good view of a very poor UI design and they should
> hear about it.

They did.

> Now in the real world, will they change anything?

Don't be so ridiculous.

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<20230616195111.9e880cb880b5f20137dbebcc@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6294&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6294

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 19:51:11 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:51 UTC

On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:03:32 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/16/23 14:18, Big Al wrote:

> >> Our circumstances have a lot in common I think.
> >> Anyway, so far I found XNView the best prog for my needs BUT as way
> >> too many times in "linux" software, it is half backed not finished.
> >> It has a beautiful and equally useless option, it can detect similar
> >> pictures even if they named differently. How great is that?
> >> Read on, it shows the found pictures in a not resizable way too small
> >> windows so one cannot SEE if the pictures are equal or not, how
> >> brilliant is that? :-)
> >> Hold on, if 7000 similar pictures are found one CAN NOT select these to
> >> copy move or delete then, they must be selected one by one....
> >> Well its kind of funny but useless, when I find time I check if there is
> >> a windows program that simply works.....
> >> Greetings from another dog lover.
> >>
> >> Edmund
> >>

> > I live in a perfect world, but I'd try to send feedback somehow.
>
> You made it!
>
> > You seem to have a very good view of a very poor UI design and they should
> > hear about it.
>
> They did.
>
> > Now in the real world, will they change anything?
>
> Don't be so ridiculous.

Talking of ridiculous, here is is a tiny script that I wrote so that my wife could watch our pictures, year by year.

#!/bin/bash
# # Scan picture directories and display jpgs
# # year=""

echo "Enter the year whose pictures you want to watch i.e. 1976: "

read -n4 year

feh --recursive --auto-zoom --geometry 1600x1000 /home/alan/Pictures/Chronological/"$year"

No warranty. Haven't tried it for at least two years.

Regards, Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-75-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u6iim6$uea4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6295&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6295

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:03:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 21:03 UTC

On 6/16/2023 2:51 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:03:32 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I live in a perfect world, but I'd try to send feedback somehow.
>>
>> You made it!
>>
>>>  You seem to have a very good view of a very poor UI design and they should
>>> hear about it.
>>
>> They did.
>>
>>> Now in the real world, will they change anything?
>>
>> Don't be so ridiculous.
>>
> Talking of ridiculous, here is is a tiny script that I wrote so that my wife could watch our pictures, year by year.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # Scan picture directories and display jpgs
> #
> # year=""
>
> echo "Enter the year whose pictures you want to watch i.e. 1976: "
>
> read -n4 year
>
> feh --recursive --auto-zoom --geometry 1600x1000 /home/alan/Pictures/Chronological/"$year"
>
> No warranty. Haven't tried it for at least two years.
>
> Regards, Alan

For camera pictures, there can be a date stamp in the EXIF.

You could craft a script to sort them. But presumably a good
photo manager is already doing this for you.

And the researchers, their papers can show how they classify
images when it comes to duplicates.

https://people.csail.mit.edu/celiu/pdfs/CVPR13-bigvis-dupdiscovery.pdf

Paul

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u6in6n$uvch$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6296&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6296

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 00:20:07 +0200
 by: Edmund - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 22:20 UTC

On 6/16/23 20:51, pinnerite wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:03:32 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I live in a perfect world, but I'd try to send feedback somehow.
>>
>> You made it!
>>
>>>  You seem to have a very good view of a very poor UI design and they should
>>> hear about it.
>>
>> They did.
>>
>>> Now in the real world, will they change anything?
>>
>> Don't be so ridiculous.
>>
> Talking of ridiculous, here is is a tiny script that I wrote so that my wife could watch our pictures, year by year.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # Scan picture directories and display jpgs
> #
> # year=""
>
> echo "Enter the year whose pictures you want to watch i.e. 1976: "
>
> read -n4 year
>
> feh --recursive --auto-zoom --geometry 1600x1000 /home/alan/Pictures/Chronological/"$year"
>
> No warranty. Haven't tried it for at least two years.
>
> Regards, Alan

Thanks but its not what I am looking for, I know I can 'make my own"
bundle of scripts to help me out.
I think there is a program somewhere that already have all those things
build in.
Or I must be the first in the world who made a mess of his picture
collection....

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: organizing huge picture folder, what is best?

<u6iof5$v3bd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6297&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6297

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:41:39 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 22:41 UTC

On 6/16/23 18:20, this is what Edmund wrote:
> On 6/16/23 20:51, pinnerite wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:03:32 +0200
>> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> You made it!

>>> They did.

>>> Don't be so ridiculous.
>>>
>> Talking of ridiculous, here is is a tiny script that I wrote so that my wife could watch our pictures, year by year.
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> #
>> # Scan picture directories and display jpgs
>> #
>> # year=""
>>
>> echo "Enter the year whose pictures you want to watch i.e. 1976: "
>>
>> read -n4 year
>>
>> feh --recursive --auto-zoom --geometry 1600x1000 /home/alan/Pictures/Chronological/"$year"
>>
>> No warranty. Haven't tried it for at least two years.
>>
>> Regards,  Alan
>>

> Thanks but its not what I am looking for, I know I can 'make my own" bundle of scripts to help me out.
> I think there is a program somewhere that already have all those things
> build in.
> Or I must be the first in the world who made a mess of his picture collection....

Are you banking on good exif data in all you images?
Mine are horrible, first most of them are scanned from slides. Anything from 1959 to 2001 when I bought my first
digital SLR.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al