If loving linux is wrong, I dont wanna be right. -- Topic for #LinuxGER

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued

SubjectAuthor
* Sleep and hibernation problemsJeff Barnett
`* Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continuedJeff Barnett
 +* Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continuedPaul
 |+* Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continuedJ. P. Gilliver
 ||`* Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continuedPaul
 || `- Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continuedJ. P. Gilliver
 |`- Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continuedJeff Barnett
 `- Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continuedMichael Trew

1
Sleep and hibernation problems

<u5ro48$1e7hd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6203&group=alt.windows7.general#6203

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Sleep and hibernation problems
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 23:14:43 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 05:14 UTC

Win 7 PRO SP1 64-bit desktop. Computer hasn't been sleeping for several
days. Tonight I updated its NVIDIA drivers and rebooted as needed. After
reboot Power Chute, APC software for their UPS, complained that
hibernation should be turned on, etc. Well it's been on for several
years and their is a large hiberfil.sys file still on the system (C) disk.

Both the "Sleep" and "Hibernate" options are grayed out on the shutdown
menu integrated with the start button. I went to Control Panel -> Power
Options and looked at the defied power plans and virtually all options
to do with sleep and hibernation were missing. I entered the BIOS (or
whatever it's called today) and found nothing helpful to reset. The
motherboard is an ASUS X79-Deluxe.

Our other computer with virtually identical hardware and OS has none of
these problems. I need some suggestions about how to debug and fix this
problem. Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued

<u5s4nv$1fg1i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6205&group=alt.windows7.general#6205

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 02:50:01 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 08:50 UTC

On 6/7/2023 11:14 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> Win 7 PRO SP1 64-bit desktop. Computer hasn't been sleeping for several
> days. Tonight I updated its NVIDIA drivers and rebooted as needed. After
> reboot Power Chute, APC software for their UPS, complained that
> hibernation should be turned on, etc. Well it's been on for several
> years and their is a large hiberfil.sys file still on the system (C) disk.
>
> Both the "Sleep" and "Hibernate" options are grayed out on the shutdown
> menu integrated with the start button. I went to Control Panel -> Power
> Options and looked at the defied power plans and virtually all options
> to do with sleep and hibernation were missing. I entered the BIOS (or
> whatever it's called today) and found nothing helpful to reset. The
> motherboard is an ASUS X79-Deluxe.
>
> Our other computer with virtually identical hardware and OS has none of
> these problems. I need some suggestions about how to debug and fix this
> problem. Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

It turns out that a full Macrium reflect backup ran about 18 hours
before the situation described above. I also had saved an older message
written by Paul that described POWERCFG. That utility said something
about a legacy driver causing problems. On a hunch, I completely
restored the C disk; sleep and hibernate returned to the start menu
along with the prior NVIDIA driver. It turns out that NVIDIA has quit
supporting Win 7 and released a last update - that driver seems to turn
off sleep and hibernate. I think they must have instituted this nasty
trick to ingratiate themselves with M$.

So I'm back to where I was a day or so ago: computer does not enter
sleep state on its own but is willing to be put there. I need help to
find out why and then to fix the problem. Any help appreciated.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued

<u5s6lf$1fm5t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6206&group=alt.windows7.general#6206

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 05:22:56 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 09:22 UTC

On 6/8/2023 4:50 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 6/7/2023 11:14 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> Win 7 PRO SP1 64-bit desktop. Computer hasn't been sleeping for several days. Tonight I updated its NVIDIA drivers and rebooted as needed. After reboot Power Chute, APC software for their UPS, complained that hibernation should be turned on, etc. Well it's been on for several years and their is a large hiberfil.sys file still on the system (C) disk.
>>
>> Both the "Sleep" and "Hibernate" options are grayed out on the shutdown menu integrated with the start button. I went to Control Panel -> Power Options and looked at the defied power plans and virtually all options to do with sleep and hibernation were missing. I entered the BIOS (or whatever it's called today) and found nothing helpful to reset. The motherboard is an ASUS X79-Deluxe.
>>
>> Our other computer with virtually identical hardware and OS has none of these problems. I need some suggestions about how to debug and fix this problem. Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.
>
> It turns out that a full Macrium reflect backup ran about 18 hours before the situation described above. I also had saved an older message written by Paul that described POWERCFG. That utility said something about a legacy driver causing problems. On a hunch, I completely restored the C disk; sleep and hibernate returned to the start menu along with the prior NVIDIA driver. It turns out that NVIDIA has quit supporting Win 7 and released a last update - that driver seems to turn off sleep and hibernate. I think they must have instituted this nasty trick to ingratiate themselves with M$.
>
> So I'm back to where I was a day or so ago: computer does not enter sleep state on its own but is willing to be put there. I need help to find out why and then to fix the problem. Any help appreciated.

And what does Powercfg report now ?

A multimedia application (say, VLC) can keep a machine
from falling asleep on its own (sleep after a period of inactivity).
This allows 2 hour movies to play in VLC, without interruption,
and you don't keep having to move the mouse. There is something
you can "assert" to keep a machine awake.

( in addition, from a previous post )

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/142812-win10-pc-wont-sleep-anymore-2.html

"Mystery solved, sort of. I stopped the wmp service and the PC went to sleep!
I started it up again and the PC doesn't sleep." <=== WMP streaming server activated...

As Administrator (Administrator command prompt):

powercfg /requests

That should name and shame the guilty party. Be it "wmplayer.exe" or whatever.

*******

powercfg /requests

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

Paul

Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued

<U9uzHxoyGbgkFwat@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6207&group=alt.windows7.general#6207

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:47:14 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 10:47 UTC

In message <u5s6lf$1fm5t$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 8 Jun 2023 05:22:56,
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes
>On 6/8/2023 4:50 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> On 6/7/2023 11:14 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>>> Win 7 PRO SP1 64-bit desktop. Computer hasn't been sleeping for
>>>several days. Tonight I updated its NVIDIA drivers and rebooted as
[]
> Both the "Sleep" and "Hibernate" options are grayed out on the
[]
>> It turns out that a full Macrium reflect backup ran about 18 hours
>>before the situation described above. I also had saved an older

(Was going to be my question - had you tried a restore.)
[]
>>start menu along with the prior NVIDIA driver. It turns out that
>>NVIDIA has quit supporting Win 7 and released a last update - that
>>driver seems to turn off sleep and hibernate. I think they must have
>>instituted this nasty trick to ingratiate themselves with M$.

Wouldn't surprise me )-: (-:.

Are you aware of anything in the "updated" NVIDIA drive that either
added a feature you wanted, or fixed a bug you were aware of and
encountered?

Particularly with video drivers, I tend to be very wary of "up"dates, at
least unless they add something I want or fix something that's bothering
me; I'd certainly do an image before them. Once bitten, as they say:
with a previous machine - I think it was my Samsung LC-20 under XP - I
left the manufacturer's automatic installation of upgrades turned on,
and the last one for the video circuitry (wasn't made by Samsung, but
the update came via that mechanism) included a bug which, under certain
circumstances, caused a freeze (or partial such - mouse cursor stopped
moving, or something; I forget the details). I found sufficient
discussion, most of which said that reverting to the just-previous
version solved the problem, and indeed it did; however, the
auto-keep-updated mechanism never stopped promoting the buggy driver, so
I had to turn it off.

>> So I'm back to where I was a day or so ago: computer does not enter
>>sleep state on its own but is willing to be put there. I need help to
>>find out why and then to fix the problem. Any help appreciated.

The "fix" is probably not to "up"date to that driver. As I said, unless
the update adds something you want or fixes something you don't (that
you are actually encountering), I'd let well alone. If, as you suspect,
the change is deliberate, then I doubt there will _be_ a "fix" that
involves keeping the new driver.

>And what does Powercfg report now ?
>
>A multimedia application (say, VLC) can keep a machine
>from falling asleep on its own (sleep after a period of inactivity).
>This allows 2 hour movies to play in VLC, without interruption,
>and you don't keep having to move the mouse. There is something
>you can "assert" to keep a machine awake.
>
>( in addition, from a previous post )
[]
> As Administrator (Administrator command prompt):
>
> powercfg /requests
>
> That should name and shame the guilty party. Be it "wmplayer.exe" or
>whatever.
[]
I just tried it out of curiosity; I get

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] High Definition Audio Device
(HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_8446&SUBSYS_
15580240&REV_1000\4&19f83b32&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

(None of the other blocks your run shows.) I'm a bit puzzled about the
audio stream report, as I'm not aware of any such; my screen does dim
and then blank if I don't touch the machine, which is sufficient for me
(I'm a bit wary of anything more, as I've in the past had such things
cause problems - might have been under XP or earlier), so I'm not unduly
worried. (I do have keyboard clicks and a chiming clock [ClockSmith
Lite]; maybe one of those is the audio stream. [Is there any _simple_
way to see what program is running an audio stream? Not important.])

Do ministers do more than lay people?

Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued

<u5se43$1gf05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6208&group=alt.windows7.general#6208

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:30:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:30 UTC

On 6/8/2023 6:47 AM, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <u5s6lf$1fm5t$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 8 Jun 2023 05:22:56, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes
>>      powercfg /requests
>>
>>   That should name and shame the guilty party. Be it "wmplayer.exe" or whatever.
> []
> I just tried it out of curiosity; I get
>
> DISPLAY:
> None.
>
> SYSTEM:
> [DRIVER] High Definition Audio Device (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_8446&SUBSYS_
> 15580240&REV_1000\4&19f83b32&0&0001)
> An audio stream is currently in use.
>
> AWAYMODE:
> None.
>
> (None of the other blocks your run shows.) I'm a bit puzzled about the audio stream report, as I'm not aware of any such; my screen does dim and then blank if I don't touch the machine, which is sufficient for me (I'm a bit wary of anything more, as I've in the past had such things cause problems - might have been under XP or earlier), so I'm not unduly worried. (I do have keyboard clicks and a chiming clock [ClockSmith Lite]; maybe one of those is the audio stream. [Is there any _simple_ way to see what program is running an audio stream? Not important.])

I'm not sure the input mux on the Windows Audio Mixer, keeps a
user defined list. At least, I don't recollect someone dumping
such a list from the command line.

https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/an-audio-stream-is-currently-in-use

In Windows 11, in the sound mixer, I can see the currently-staged outputs.
This means they are "connected". But it does not show whether they
are "streaming" at the moment. And even though I have three, they do nothing
to my powercfg /requests .

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/2619h7hz/windows-mixer-sliders-per-output-source.gif

Paul

Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued

<v5T9W2tGsegkFwMT@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6209&group=alt.windows7.general#6209

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 15:51:50 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 14:51 UTC

In message <u5se43$1gf05$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:30:13,
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes
>On 6/8/2023 6:47 AM, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <u5s6lf$1fm5t$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 8 Jun 2023
>>05:22:56, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes
>>>      powercfg /requests
>>>
>>>   That should name and shame the guilty party. Be it "wmplayer.exe"
>>>or whatever.
>> []
>> I just tried it out of curiosity; I get
>> DISPLAY:
>> None.
>> SYSTEM:
>> [DRIVER] High Definition Audio Device
>>(HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_8446&SUBSYS_
[]
>> (None of the other blocks your run shows.) I'm a bit puzzled about
>>the audio stream report, as I'm not aware of any such; my screen does
>>dim and then blank if I don't touch the machine, which is sufficient
[]
>I'm not sure the input mux on the Windows Audio Mixer, keeps a
>user defined list. At least, I don't recollect someone dumping
>such a list from the command line.
>
> https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/an-audio-stream-is-currently-in-use

Hmm. That seems to suggest that if I entered

powercfg /requestsoverride DRIVER "High Definition Audio Device" SYSTEM

, it would allow my system to sleep etc. again. Well, as I said, I only
did the "powercfg /requests" out of curiosity to see what it reported,
not that I have a problem with the machine not going into
screen-dim/off, so I'll leave well alone, in case it upsets anything.
Useful to know though.

>In Windows 11, in the sound mixer, I can see the currently-staged outputs.
>This means they are "connected". But it does not show whether they
>are "streaming" at the moment. And even though I have three, they do nothing
>to my powercfg /requests .
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/2619h7hz/windows-mixer-sliders-per-output-source.gif
>
> Paul

I have much the same in 7 (OK, the sliders are vertical) - I have four:
System Sounds, Nmouse.exe, Nkboard.exe, and ClockSmith Lite, to your
three (System Sounds, Mozilla Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey). [Oddly,
neither of my browsers are showing - let me just play something from
YouTube: yes, Google Chrome popped up. Didn't disappear at the end of
the clip - or when I closed the tab. But maybe that's a refresh thing -
yes, closing and reopening the mixer, the browser is again absent.]

Ah well - all interesting! I'll mark this post as keep so I know what to
try if I ever find my screen dimming/blanking isn't happening.

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3

Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued

<u5uc99$1qrem$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6211&group=alt.windows7.general#6211

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 23:10:59 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 05:10 UTC

On 6/8/2023 3:22 AM, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> And what does Powercfg report now ?
>
> A multimedia application (say, VLC) can keep a machine
> from falling asleep on its own (sleep after a period of inactivity).
> This allows 2 hour movies to play in VLC, without interruption,
> and you don't keep having to move the mouse. There is something
> you can "assert" to keep a machine awake.
>
> ( in addition, from a previous post )
>
> https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/142812-win10-pc-wont-sleep-anymore-2.html
>
>   "Mystery solved, sort of. I stopped the wmp service and the PC went
> to sleep!
>    I started it up again and the PC doesn't sleep."  <=== WMP streaming
> server activated...
>
>    As Administrator (Administrator command prompt):
>
>       powercfg /requests
>
>    That should name and shame the guilty party. Be it "wmplayer.exe" or

Sorry I didn't respond more quickly; but I was up past 4AM screwing
around. It took a while to recover from the NVIDIA hack. I went back in
earlier today using the "-REQUESTS" parameter and under System I was
told that a printer queue was stuck. Indeed there was a printer queue
with two erring jobs being held. I deleted them and the computer fell
asleep naturally.
This reminds me of another M$ proclivity that I presume is with us in
more recent Windows releases. The machine will stay on for virtually
forever when something wrong is to be brought to a user's attention.
However, 99 times out of a 100 1) it's not obvious that your attention
is sought, and 2) when you do realize it, no meaningful information is
available and OS tries to call home. A simple and accurate as far as it
goes description of what is wrong presented in these cases would make me
think that Windows was much better than my present opinion.
Once again, thanks for the help both in the last few days and a long
time ago.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Sleep and hibernation problems -continued

<u5vhvi$1una9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6212&group=alt.windows7.general#6212

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 11:54:32 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:54 UTC

On 6/8/2023 4:50, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 6/7/2023 11:14 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> Win 7 PRO SP1 64-bit desktop. Computer hasn't been sleeping for
>> several days. Tonight I updated its NVIDIA drivers and rebooted as
>> needed. After reboot Power Chute, APC software for their UPS,
>> complained that hibernation should be turned on, etc. Well it's been
>> on for several years and their is a large hiberfil.sys file still on
>> the system (C) disk.
>>
>> Both the "Sleep" and "Hibernate" options are grayed out on the
>> shutdown menu integrated with the start button. I went to Control
>> Panel -> Power Options and looked at the defied power plans and
>> virtually all options to do with sleep and hibernation were missing. I
>> entered the BIOS (or whatever it's called today) and found nothing
>> helpful to reset. The motherboard is an ASUS X79-Deluxe.
>>
>> Our other computer with virtually identical hardware and OS has none
>> of these problems. I need some suggestions about how to debug and fix
>> this problem. Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.
>
> It turns out that a full Macrium reflect backup ran about 18 hours
> before the situation described above. I also had saved an older message
> written by Paul that described POWERCFG. That utility said something
> about a legacy driver causing problems. On a hunch, I completely
> restored the C disk; sleep and hibernate returned to the start menu
> along with the prior NVIDIA driver. It turns out that NVIDIA has quit
> supporting Win 7 and released a last update - that driver seems to turn
> off sleep and hibernate. I think they must have instituted this nasty
> trick to ingratiate themselves with M$.
>
> So I'm back to where I was a day or so ago: computer does not enter
> sleep state on its own but is willing to be put there. I need help to
> find out why and then to fix the problem. Any help appreciated.

This might be too simplistic of an answer, but it's worth a shoot. I'm
told there's a hot-key to disable sleep/hibernation in Windows, and it's
possible that you accidentally pressed it. Windows key + something --
I'm not sure what the combination is.