"Pok pok pok, P'kok!" -- Superchicken

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: text file diff

SubjectAuthor
* text file diffgrinch
+* Re: text file diffRalph Fox
|`* Re: text file diffgrinch
| +* Re: text file diffKenny McCormack
| |`- Re: text file diffPaul
| `- Re: text file diffFrank Slootweg
+- Re: text file diffPiet
+- Re: text file diffMr. Man-wai Chang
+- Re: text file diffMayayana
`* Re: text file diffStan Brown
 +- Re: text file diffwasbit
 `- Re: text file diffZaidy036

1
text file diff

<t4iiqu$1m1p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61976&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61976

From: gri...@somewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: text file diff
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:52:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: grinch - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:52 UTC

Once a year or so I need to diff two text files on Windows.
How?

Re: text file diff

<ujkp6hhh61k0ps8udru6s3c0740d5mgth1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61977&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61977

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: text file diff
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:31:18 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:31 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:52:31 -0000 (UTC), grinch wrote:

> Once a year or so I need to diff two text files on Windows.
> How?

I use the 'Compare' plugin in Notepad++ for this.
It has a 2-pane visual diff showing lines added, removed, and modified.

1) Notepad++ <https://notepad-plus-plus.org/>

2) When installing Notepad++, put a check-mark in the
option 'Plugins Admin'

3) Open Notepad++, use the menu "Plugins >> Plugins Admin"
and install the 'Compare' plugin.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🔎︎📄︎🔁︎📄︎🔍︎

Re: text file diff

<t4iu7c$1s7m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61985&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61985

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:06:53 +0200
 by: Piet - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:06 UTC

grinch wrote:
> Once a year or so I need to diff two text files on Windows.
> How?

fc file1 file2

-p

Re: text file diff

<t4ivvm$jvs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61987&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61987

From: gri...@somewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:36:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: grinch - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:36 UTC

On 30/04/2022 0:31, Ralph Fox wrote:

> I use the 'Compare' plugin in Notepad++ for this.
> It has a 2-pane visual diff showing lines added, removed, and modified.

I should have mentioned I gave up on that notepad++ compare long ago
because it just highlights the differences.

When you do a diff with the Notepad++ Compare plugin of a large file, you
get thousands of lines marked in red or green where you have to manually
find each diff by the color (or use Alt PageDn but that's the same thing)
and then you have to manually create your own file of those differences,
which inevitably introduces errors.

I want a third file of the differences only like a diff command does.

Am I using it wrong?

Re: text file diff

<t4j17l$3jmb5$1@news.xmission.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61988&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61988

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:58:13 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:58 UTC

In article <t4ivvm$jvs$1@gioia.aioe.org>, grinch <grinch@somewhere.com> wrote:
>On 30/04/2022 0:31, Ralph Fox wrote:
>
>> I use the 'Compare' plugin in Notepad++ for this.
>> It has a 2-pane visual diff showing lines added, removed, and modified.
>
>I should have mentioned I gave up on that notepad++ compare long ago
>because it just highlights the differences.
>
>When you do a diff with the Notepad++ Compare plugin of a large file, you
>get thousands of lines marked in red or green where you have to manually
>find each diff by the color (or use Alt PageDn but that's the same thing)
>and then you have to manually create your own file of those differences,
>which inevitably introduces errors.
>
>I want a third file of the differences only like a diff command does.
>
>Am I using it wrong?

Well, it doesn't sound to me like you're doing anything wrong.

In fact, it sounds like you know what you want - and what you want is Unix
"diff" - and you just don't know how/where to get it. Note that on these
help forums, responders to help requests generally assume that the
help-seeker doesn't know what he wants, with the result that said
help-givers then start suggesting weird alternatives.

Anyway, back to topic, the most straightforward answer to your question is
"Install Cygwin". Then you get bash, diff, and all the other usual/normal
Unix utilities, including "diff".

Note, also, that others might suggest something called "WSL" or "WSL2", as
alternatives to Cygwin. I known nothing of these, since I don't use later
versions of Windows, so I cannot comment, other than to say that:
a) I know Cygwin works
b) The whole "Oh, gee, I can run Linux under Windows" concept seems
goofy to me.

--
In American politics, there are two things you just don't f*ck with:

1) Goldman Sachs
2) The military/industrial complex

Re: text file diff

<t4j5ve$p6p$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61995&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#61995

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:18:52 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:18 UTC

On 30/4/2022 1:52 pm, grinch wrote:
> Once a year or so I need to diff two text files on Windows.
> How?

Download WinDiff
https://www.grigsoft.com/download-windiff.htm

WinMerge - You will see the difference…
https://winmerge.org/?lang=en

Re: text file diff

<t4j7k7$60k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62003&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62003

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:47:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:47 UTC

On 4/30/2022 5:58 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <t4ivvm$jvs$1@gioia.aioe.org>, grinch <grinch@somewhere.com> wrote:
>> On 30/04/2022 0:31, Ralph Fox wrote:
>>
>>> I use the 'Compare' plugin in Notepad++ for this.
>>> It has a 2-pane visual diff showing lines added, removed, and modified.
>>
>> I should have mentioned I gave up on that notepad++ compare long ago
>> because it just highlights the differences.
>>
>> When you do a diff with the Notepad++ Compare plugin of a large file, you
>> get thousands of lines marked in red or green where you have to manually
>> find each diff by the color (or use Alt PageDn but that's the same thing)
>> and then you have to manually create your own file of those differences,
>> which inevitably introduces errors.
>>
>> I want a third file of the differences only like a diff command does.
>>
>> Am I using it wrong?
>
> Well, it doesn't sound to me like you're doing anything wrong.
>
> In fact, it sounds like you know what you want - and what you want is Unix
> "diff" - and you just don't know how/where to get it. Note that on these
> help forums, responders to help requests generally assume that the
> help-seeker doesn't know what he wants, with the result that said
> help-givers then start suggesting weird alternatives.
>
> Anyway, back to topic, the most straightforward answer to your question is
> "Install Cygwin". Then you get bash, diff, and all the other usual/normal
> Unix utilities, including "diff".
>
> Note, also, that others might suggest something called "WSL" or "WSL2", as
> alternatives to Cygwin. I known nothing of these, since I don't use later
> versions of Windows, so I cannot comment, other than to say that:
> a) I know Cygwin works
> b) The whole "Oh, gee, I can run Linux under Windows" concept seems
> goofy to me.

I can now run *Linux Firefox* on this thing.
So not only is it goofy, now it works!

I can run a Windows Firefox and a Linux Firefox, each with a separate profile.

To get WSLg working on Windows 11, took a video driver downloaded
direct from AMD. Versus the tame driver that Microsoft installs.
For the longest while, I couldn't get it to work.

On Windows 10, you can get WSL2, but not WSLg, and then maybe
XMing is the answer for an XServer. That's only necessary
to run graphics applications. For the text only examples like this
one, vanilla WSL2 is sufficient.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/cL42f0L2/W11-bashshell-diff.gif

The text files were entered in Notepad (a metro app now).

The Terminal window hosts a bash shell, started by typing "bash".

The Windows workdir is C:\users\username\Downloads

The Linux workdir is /mnt/c/users/username/Downloads

The output of "diff" if redirected, would have Linux line ending.

Paul

Re: text file diff

<t4ja3d$nu6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62011&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62011

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:29:43 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:29 UTC

"grinch" <grinch@somewhere.com> wrote

| Once a year or so I need to diff two text files on Windows.
| How?

I like WinMerge. Clean. Simple. A sensible GUI. Free. Unlike
Notepad++, the author actually writes the code. And unlike
Notepad++, it's designed for the job. I actually have N++,
which I use when I need to open a gigantic text file. It's
stable and robust. But it's just a wrapper around
Scintilla text window component, with a plugin arrangement.
It supports text syntax coloring for a gazillion programming
languages, of course, but that's because it only supports
functionality that can be put into a simple formula, like a
list of keywords. It's not truly an editor for any specific
programming language.

Even the WinMerge site is clean and sensible. They're one of
the few sources left who have the sense and courtesy to clearly
state the system requirements on the download page. And if you
can't meet those, they still have versions going back to Win9x!
What's with the trend of hiding system requirements? I hate to
sound like Andy Rooney, but it really is an unnecessary pain in
the neck.

Try finding that on the N++ site. All I see is that the latest
version is called "Stand up for Ukraine". Cute. But nothing
about requirements. Though I don't
mean to single out N++. I only critique it because it's yet
another program made of wrappers around other software,
that became popular and now just gets too much credit for
what's actually in it.

Re: text file diff

<t4jnnb.eo0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62023&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62023

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 30 Apr 2022 14:22:27 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:22 UTC

grinch <grinch@somewhere.com> wrote:
[...]

> I want a third file of the differences only like a diff command does.

Piet beat me to it, but if you want diff-like functionality, 'fc'
(File Compare) is indeed probably the way to go. Just type 'fc /?' to
see what it can do.

And I fully support Kenny's recommendation of Cygwin, a Linux-like
(actually GNU) environment under Windows. This posting is brought to
you, courtesy that very software.

Re: text file diff

<MPG.3cd86cebdc5870d098ff20@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62079&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62079

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:10:22 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:10 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:52:31 -0000 (UTC), grinch wrote:

> Once a year or so I need to diff two text files on Windows.
> How?

If you want a command-line tool, there's my free CMP:
<https://brownmath.com/utils/cmp.htm>
There's no installer: just download the file and unzip it. (If you
find the program useful please leave a donation.)

CMP tries to sense whether a file is text or binary. If you want to
force text mode, use the /r0 option.

Program options are here:
<https://brownmath.com/utils/cmpuser.htm#Options>

For graphical output, for many years I have used CSDIFF, from a
company called Component Software, whose domain appears to have been
closed. If you like, I can put the ZIP file where you can download
it, if you would rather not download from any of the sites where
you'll find CSDIFF in Google.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: text file diff

<t4o5ge$gmk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62103&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62103

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 09:41:43 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 2 May 2022 08:41 UTC

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:52:31 -0000 (UTC), grinch wrote:
>>
>> Once a year or so I need to diff two text files on Windows.
>> How?
>
> If you want a command-line tool, there's my free CMP:
> <https://brownmath.com/utils/cmp.htm>
> There's no installer: just download the file and unzip it. (If you
> find the program useful please leave a donation.)
>
> CMP tries to sense whether a file is text or binary. If you want to
> force text mode, use the /r0 option.
>
> Program options are here:
> <https://brownmath.com/utils/cmpuser.htm#Options>
>
> For graphical output, for many years I have used CSDIFF, from a
> company called Component Software, whose domain appears to have been
> closed. If you like, I can put the ZIP file where you can download
> it, if you would rather not download from any of the sites where
> you'll find CSDIFF in Google.

Thank you Stan.

I came across this comparison of CSDiff, HTMLDiff and ExcelDiff noting that
CSDiff is free for single users whilst the other 2 are payware.
-
https://www.diffutils.com/office-document-comparison/csdiff-htmldiff-exceldiff.html

All are the products of Commercial Software which no longer exists.
HTMLDiff & ExcelDiff have 30 day trials but what happens at the end of the
trial period is unknown.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: text file diff

<t4p2dm$k9s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62125&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62125

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 12:55:18 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 2 May 2022 16:55 UTC

On 5/1/2022 2:10 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:52:31 -0000 (UTC), grinch wrote:
>>
>> Once a year or so I need to diff two text files on Windows.
>> How?
>
> If you want a command-line tool, there's my free CMP:
> <https://brownmath.com/utils/cmp.htm>
> There's no installer: just download the file and unzip it. (If you
> find the program useful please leave a donation.)
>
> CMP tries to sense whether a file is text or binary. If you want to
> force text mode, use the /r0 option.
>
> Program options are here:
> <https://brownmath.com/utils/cmpuser.htm#Options>
>
> For graphical output, for many years I have used CSDIFF, from a
> company called Component Software, whose domain appears to have been
> closed. If you like, I can put the ZIP file where you can download
> it, if you would rather not download from any of the sites where
> you'll find CSDIFF in Google.

Free Notepad++ has a plug-in for that