From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Microsoft Edge Webview Runtime password problem
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:29:22 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 3 May 2022 20:29 UTC

When trying to update a piece of commercial software I was directed to install Microsoft Edge Webview Runtime.

It asks for an admin username and password, displays the name "Dummy" and only a data entry field for a password.
I am the only user but it rejects my Microsoft password.

How can I get beyond this?

TIA

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-104-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Microsoft Edge Webview Runtime password problem

<t4sfjq$qd4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62172&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62172

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 19:58:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 3 May 2022 23:58 UTC

On 5/3/2022 4:29 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> When trying to update a piece of commercial software I was directed to install Microsoft Edge Webview Runtime.
>
> It asks for an admin username and password, displays the name "Dummy" and only a data entry field for a password.
> I am the only user but it rejects my Microsoft password.
>
> How can I get beyond this?
>
> TIA

Is this a phishing attack ???

Webview2 is probably already in there.

Unless your Windows Update is broken and you are behind on updates.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-is-auto-installing-the-windows-10-webview2-runtime/

It's an engine for standalone graphics duties.

*******

Did you get it from here ?

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=webview2

Microsoft Edge-WebView2 Runtime Version 101 Update for x64 based Editions (Build 101.0.1210.32)
Microsoft Edge Updates 4/28/2022 n/a 125.1 MB

Click the Download over on the right of that specific line. The file is:

https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2022/04/
microsoftedgestandaloneinstallerx64_52f4b93da13cc0ef497decf624ec64049b6164c8.exe

Being an EXE, you can right-click and select "Run as Administrator".

And that internally, looks to me like it is just a copy of the
MSEdge browser.

*******

Check your Settings wheel, and the Apps list.

I did not install the file I downloaded, and webview2
is already in the list, ready to go. The same version
should be in W10 and W11, because they need to keep these
updated against Chrome exploits.

[Picture] If frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload image"

https://i.postimg.cc/7629bWQm/webview2-in-Settings.gif

Paul

Re: Microsoft Edge Webview Runtime password problem

<20220504085956.917ebbf77167338a6872b1f9@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62179&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62179

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 08:59:56 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 4 May 2022 07:59 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 19:58:51 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 5/3/2022 4:29 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > When trying to update a piece of commercial software I was directed to install Microsoft Edge Webview Runtime.
> >
> > It asks for an admin username and password, displays the name "Dummy" and only a data entry field for a password.
> > I am the only user but it rejects my Microsoft password.
> >
> > How can I get beyond this?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Is this a phishing attack ???
>
> Webview2 is probably already in there.
>
> Unless your Windows Update is broken and you are behind on updates.
>
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-is-auto-installing-the-windows-10-webview2-runtime/
>
> It's an engine for standalone graphics duties.
>
> *******
>
> Did you get it from here ?
>
> https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=webview2
>
> Microsoft Edge-WebView2 Runtime Version 101 Update for x64 based Editions (Build 101.0.1210.32)
> Microsoft Edge Updates 4/28/2022 n/a 125.1 MB
>
> Click the Download over on the right of that specific line. The file is:
>
> https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2022/04/
> microsoftedgestandaloneinstallerx64_52f4b93da13cc0ef497decf624ec64049b6164c8.exe
>
> Being an EXE, you can right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
>
> And that internally, looks to me like it is just a copy of the
> MSEdge browser.
>
> *******
>
> Check your Settings wheel, and the Apps list.
>
> I did not install the file I downloaded, and webview2
> is already in the list, ready to go. The same version
> should be in W10 and W11, because they need to keep these
> updated against Chrome exploits.
>
> [Picture] If frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload image"
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/7629bWQm/webview2-in-Settings.gif
>
> Paul

I had opened a UK tax software program and needed to update in order to be able to process tax returns for the previous tax year.

I went to updates and was invited to click on an option to download the Edge update.

I decided to execute the https:// etc line above.
It installed the update. I shut down, restarted and restarted my tax program.
It came straight up.
Thank you. I am so relieved.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-104-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Microsoft Edge Webview Runtime password problem

<20220506223227.6c2412fca3afdd1848070c16@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62259&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62259

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 22:32:27 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 6 May 2022 21:32 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 08:59:56 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 May 2022 19:58:51 -0400
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 5/3/2022 4:29 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > > When trying to update a piece of commercial software I was directed to install Microsoft Edge Webview Runtime.
> > >
> > > It asks for an admin username and password, displays the name "Dummy" and only a data entry field for a password.
> > > I am the only user but it rejects my Microsoft password.
> > >
> > > How can I get beyond this?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Is this a phishing attack ???
> >
> > Webview2 is probably already in there.
> >
> > Unless your Windows Update is broken and you are behind on updates.
> >
> > https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-is-auto-installing-the-windows-10-webview2-runtime/
> >
> > It's an engine for standalone graphics duties.
> >
> > *******
> >
> > Did you get it from here ?
> >
> > https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=webview2
> >
> > Microsoft Edge-WebView2 Runtime Version 101 Update for x64 based Editions (Build 101.0.1210.32)
> > Microsoft Edge Updates 4/28/2022 n/a 125.1 MB
> >
> > Click the Download over on the right of that specific line. The file is:
> >
> > https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2022/04/
> > microsoftedgestandaloneinstallerx64_52f4b93da13cc0ef497decf624ec64049b6164c8.exe
> >
> > Being an EXE, you can right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
> >
> > And that internally, looks to me like it is just a copy of the
> > MSEdge browser.
> >
> > *******
> >
> > Check your Settings wheel, and the Apps list.
> >
> > I did not install the file I downloaded, and webview2
> > is already in the list, ready to go. The same version
> > should be in W10 and W11, because they need to keep these
> > updated against Chrome exploits.
> >
> > [Picture] If frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload image"
> >
> > https://i.postimg.cc/7629bWQm/webview2-in-Settings.gif
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I had opened a UK tax software program and needed to update in order to be able to process tax returns for the previous tax year.
>
> I went to updates and was invited to click on an option to download the Edge update.
>
> I decided to execute the https:// etc line above.
> It installed the update. I shut down, restarted and restarted my tax program.
> It came straight up.
> Thank you. I am so relieved.
>
> Alan

I wrote too soon.
Within an hour or so I found the same issue with every application that wanted to update.
I had no idea how to fix it so I powered down, rebooted on mmy second drive (cloned jan 2022) and applied the needed update to the tax software programe. It ran smoothly.

Thanfully I run Windows 10 as a virtual machine. So I copied the whole of the Win10/VirtualBox folders from that drive to th first having booted from Knoppix and with an hour or two was bang up to date.

I keep all my data on the host's (Linux) folders and access them by virtue of samba.

Alan