From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Why does my hotspot have the wrong name?
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 11:33:41 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 4 May 2022 08:33 UTC

Why does my hotspot have the wrong name?

My other phone is a Xiaomi Redmi. I can't remember if I ever connected
it to my laptop, because I only used it at home, where I have a
fiberoptic internet connection and don't need to use a phone as a
hotspot.

And I'm 99% sure i went to Florida before I bought....no I did use the
previous Redmi with a laptop but it was a different laptop (the one with
no fan that overheats. I still keep it for emergencies.)

So how come now that I'm away from h ome and using the phone that
succeeded the stolen Xiaomi, which is a Samsung phone, does the Bluetooh
list of available hotspots list my phone as Redmi. When the phone I'm
actually using now is a Samsung?
Even if I once used a Redmi, and that's what it's sticking with,
that's like saying because I was once at my friend Tom Jones's house and
used his bluetooth named Jones, wherever I go after that, the bluetooth
I use will be named Jones. If not wherever, at least when I'm using my
new phone. Because it knows Jones and likes Jones????

Re: Why does my hotspot have the wrong name?

<0001HW.2822CADC0121FED27000024F338F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62185&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62185

Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 10:53:16 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Subject: Re: Why does my hotspot have the wrong name?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:53 UTC

On 04 May 2022, micky wrote
(in article<j7e47h5ui934qlubnjujogpmu14a3dr3se@4ax.com>):

> Why does my hotspot have the wrong name?
>
> My other phone is a Xiaomi Redmi. I can't remember if I ever connected
> it to my laptop, because I only used it at home, where I have a
> fiberoptic internet connection and don't need to use a phone as a
> hotspot.
>
> And I'm 99% sure i went to Florida before I bought....no I did use the
> previous Redmi with a laptop but it was a different laptop (the one with
> no fan that overheats. I still keep it for emergencies.)
>
> So how come now that I'm away from h ome and using the phone that
> succeeded the stolen Xiaomi, which is a Samsung phone, does the Bluetooh
> list of available hotspots list my phone as Redmi. When the phone I'm
> actually using now is a Samsung?
> Even if I once used a Redmi, and that's what it's sticking with,
> that's like saying because I was once at my friend Tom Jones's house and
> used his bluetooth named Jones, wherever I go after that, the bluetooth
> I use will be named Jones. If not wherever, at least when I'm using my
> new phone. Because it knows Jones and likes Jones????

Your phone picked up a network preferences file from some device (another
phone, a laptop, a desktop) which had been connected to the old network
before you updated it.Your phone then merged its network preferences with
that file, and so has a list of the old items as well as the new ones. This
is A Feature, Not A Buig(™). All hail the mighty Network Trio: Apple,
Google, and Microsoft, who have come to an agreement to do this with all
their OSes. Except MS screws it up, as usual. The Beast of Redmond: fucking
up networks since 1995, possibly earlier.

Re: Why does my hotspot have the wrong name?

<6sc57hlp2uf1itsq3svgfaplks721dhqn9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62186&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62186

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 20:10:52 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 4 May 2022 17:10 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 04 May 2022 10:53:16 -0400, Wolffan
<akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:

>On 04 May 2022, micky wrote
>(in article<j7e47h5ui934qlubnjujogpmu14a3dr3se@4ax.com>):
>
>> Why does my hotspot have the wrong name?
>>
>> My other phone is a Xiaomi Redmi. I can't remember if I ever connected
>> it to my laptop, because I only used it at home, where I have a
>> fiberoptic internet connection and don't need to use a phone as a
>> hotspot.
>>
>> And I'm 99% sure i went to Florida before I bought....no I did use the
>> previous Redmi with a laptop but it was a different laptop (the one with
>> no fan that overheats. I still keep it for emergencies.)
>>
>> So how come now that I'm away from h ome and using the phone that
>> succeeded the stolen Xiaomi, which is a Samsung phone, does the Bluetooh
>> list of available hotspots list my phone as Redmi. When the phone I'm
>> actually using now is a Samsung?
>> Even if I once used a Redmi, and that's what it's sticking with,
>> that's like saying because I was once at my friend Tom Jones's house and
>> used his bluetooth named Jones, wherever I go after that, the bluetooth
>> I use will be named Jones. If not wherever, at least when I'm using my
>> new phone. Because it knows Jones and likes Jones????
>
>Your phone picked up a network preferences file from some device (another
>phone, a laptop, a desktop) which had been connected to the old network
>before you updated it.Your phone then merged its network preferences with
>that file, and so has a list of the old items as well as the new ones. This
>is A Feature, Not A Buig(™). All hail the mighty Network Trio: Apple,
>Google, and Microsoft, who have come to an agreement to do this with all
>their OSes. Except MS screws it up, as usual. The Beast of Redmond: fucking
>up networks since 1995, possibly earlier.

Well I feel good, now that I know it's a feature.