Pohl's law: Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!

SubjectAuthor
* Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!micky
+* Re: Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!Paul
|`- Re: Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!micky
`- Re: Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!J. P. Gilliver (John)

1
Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!

<2nd47hdpj4me4vqqhldpl982e0v6peka5b@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62180&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62180

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 11:25:38 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 4 May 2022 08:25 UTC

Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!

1) On the bluetooth connection page, when you click Connect for a
bluetooth speaker, first it says "Connected music". Then a few seconds
later, "connected voice, music". Is there a difference between voice
and music?

2) Windows sound goes to zero sometimes when changing connection, like
from a USB speaker to a Bluetooth speaker. This problem is hard to find
because one doesn't expect that change to have anything to do with the
sound volume setting inside windows.

3) Also sound disappears sometimes, maybe it's when changing audio
output, or maybe when the internet connection pauses, but then it comes
back with no audio!!!! You have to pause a video, then Play it again to
get the audio back

Re: Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!

<t4tl5q$dvj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62182&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62182

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 06:39:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 4 May 2022 10:39 UTC

On 5/4/2022 4:25 AM, micky wrote:
> Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!
>
> 1) On the bluetooth connection page, when you click Connect for a
> bluetooth speaker, first it says "Connected music". Then a few seconds
> later, "connected voice, music". Is there a difference between voice
> and music?
>
> 2) Windows sound goes to zero sometimes when changing connection, like
> from a USB speaker to a Bluetooth speaker. This problem is hard to find
> because one doesn't expect that change to have anything to do with the
> sound volume setting inside windows.
>
> 3) Also sound disappears sometimes, maybe it's when changing audio
> output, or maybe when the internet connection pauses, but then it comes
> back with no audio!!!! You have to pause a video, then Play it again to
> get the audio back

I can only, sorta, guess at (1).

There are a couple BT audio profiles that are popular and
for some reason, the profiles travel in pairs.

Take my test kit, my USB audio mono speaker. It reports
it can be a "speaker". But it also claims to support "handsfree".
Except, to the best of my knowledge, it has no microphone.
The chip supports some handsfree profile, like for a phone,
so you could accept phone calls and chat. But if the microphone
is not wired up, then you won't be able to speak.

*******

It's possible an application could meddle with a volume setting.
But if it did not do that, the Windows Mixer master value would
probably stay at a fixed limiting level at all times. The individual
application volumes, work within the limit of the master volume.

Things like Firefox, I thought at one time, they were supposed
to be able to remember audio level as a function of web site.

Not all softwares use exactly the same sound path. Maybe
I could use DirectSound and GraphEdit, and when playing
a video, the process dynamically builds a "chain" of elements
to process the audio and video. (Needs a "demux" block to
separate the video stream and audio stream, needs an
audio decoder to make info suited to speakers.) Interrupting
the player, could in a case like that, cause the GraphEdit
part to rebuild the chain from scratch. And that could have
side effects, if for example, the player is intended to start
at zero volume when first being given a video to play.

Something like VLC, probably does not use DirectSound.
FOSS wants to be cross-platform, so they like to find
a means where there are common audio paths on multiple
OSes and they only have to write the software once.

For graphics, OpenGL is available on multiple platforms,
and even if it isn't particularly appropriate, things
like LibreOffice use a lot of OpenGL for the simplest
of things.

You can see an example of a cross-platform audio here,
of a sort. So if something cross-platform is available,
it might be used instead of DirectSound, and it might
not have the same side effects when started and stopped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL

Paul

Re: Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!

<JJUy1$gP3mciFwTo@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62183&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62183

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 13:13:03 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 4 May 2022 12:13 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 at 11:25:38, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote (my
>Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!
>
>1) On the bluetooth connection page, when you click Connect for a
>bluetooth speaker, first it says "Connected music". Then a few seconds
>later, "connected voice, music". Is there a difference between voice
>and music?

Starting (I think) with W7, so I presume continued into 10, there is the
option to use different sound hardware for communications: this allows
you to, for example, use a headset with mic. for Skype and similar,
without disrupting your normal sound playback (music, videos, etc.) - so
you don't have to keep plugging in and disconnecting your headset when
you receive a Skype call, which can wear out the sockets, which are a
pain to replace; could that be what it's referring to?

>2) Windows sound goes to zero sometimes when changing connection, like
>from a USB speaker to a Bluetooth speaker. This problem is hard to find
>because one doesn't expect that change to have anything to do with the
>sound volume setting inside windows.

(No idea.)

>3) Also sound disappears sometimes, maybe it's when changing audio
>output, or maybe when the internet connection pauses, but then it comes
>back with no audio!!!! You have to pause a video, then Play it again to
>get the audio back

_Sounds_ like a problem with the playing software (a browser and/or the
YouTube [or whatever] script), rather than Windows as such. Do you get
it with more than one browser, and/or with more than one site?

In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.
- George Orwell

Re: Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!

<ouc57hdkced3h97o5vl94dqfsl4h0nlp5d@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62187&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62187

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 20:14:03 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 4 May 2022 17:14 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 4 May 2022 06:39:54 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 5/4/2022 4:25 AM, micky wrote:
>> Idiosncracies of Audio, including two that are No audio!!!
>>
>> 1) On the bluetooth connection page, when you click Connect for a
>> bluetooth speaker, first it says "Connected music". Then a few seconds
>> later, "connected voice, music". Is there a difference between voice
>> and music?
>>
>> 2) Windows sound goes to zero sometimes when changing connection, like
>> from a USB speaker to a Bluetooth speaker. This problem is hard to find
>> because one doesn't expect that change to have anything to do with the
>> sound volume setting inside windows.
>>
>> 3) Also sound disappears sometimes, maybe it's when changing audio
>> output, or maybe when the internet connection pauses, but then it comes
>> back with no audio!!!! You have to pause a video, then Play it again to
>> get the audio back
>>

>I can only, sorta, guess at (1).
>
>There are a couple BT audio profiles that are popular and
>for some reason, the profiles travel in pairs.
>
>Take my test kit, my USB audio mono speaker. It reports
>it can be a "speaker". But it also claims to support "handsfree".
>Except, to the best of my knowledge, it has no microphone.
>The chip supports some handsfree profile, like for a phone,
>so you could accept phone calls and chat. But if the microphone
>is not wired up, then you won't be able to speak.
>
>*******
>
>It's possible an application could meddle with a volume setting.
>But if it did not do that, the Windows Mixer master value would
>probably stay at a fixed limiting level at all times. The individual
>application volumes, work within the limit of the master volume.

I've also noticed that the android phone's volume drops to zero
sometimes when I'm switching from bluettooth/external speaker to
earbuds. Or something like that. Also confusing because unexpected, but
less so now that I think I'll remember to check it.

>Things like Firefox, I thought at one time, they were supposed
>to be able to remember audio level as a function of web site.
>
>Not all softwares use exactly the same sound path. Maybe
>I could use DirectSound and GraphEdit, and when playing
>a video, the process dynamically builds a "chain" of elements
>to process the audio and video. (Needs a "demux" block to
>separate the video stream and audio stream, needs an
>audio decoder to make info suited to speakers.) Interrupting
>the player, could in a case like that, cause the GraphEdit
>part to rebuild the chain from scratch. And that could have
>side effects, if for example, the player is intended to start
>at zero volume when first being given a video to play.
>
>Something like VLC, probably does not use DirectSound.
>FOSS wants to be cross-platform, so they like to find
>a means where there are common audio paths on multiple
>OSes and they only have to write the software once.
>
>For graphics, OpenGL is available on multiple platforms,
>and even if it isn't particularly appropriate, things
>like LibreOffice use a lot of OpenGL for the simplest
>of things.
>
>You can see an example of a cross-platform audio here,
>of a sort. So if something cross-platform is available,
>it might be used instead of DirectSound, and it might
>not have the same side effects when started and stopped.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL

Thanks. Life is a puzzlement. (Charlie Chan?)