From: Joe...@ignorance.com
Subject: The Best Page Explaining SSD vs. HD - For The Ignorant Like Myself.
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:14:48 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Joe...@ignorance.com - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 12:14 UTC

Simple as heck to understand.

https://www.arcserve.com/blog/hard-drive-important-differences-between-hdd-storage-solutions-and-ssd-solutions

Re: The Best Page Explaining SSD vs. HD - For The Ignorant Like Myself.

<qhs88i1ok7415uf5mohjq1ebc74frdgj05@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6215&group=alt.windows7.general#6215

From: log...@is.important (dyno dan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 08:53:33 -0400
 by: dyno dan - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 12:53 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:14:48 +0200 (CEST), Joe@ignorance.com wrote:

>Simple as heck to understand.
>
>https://www.arcserve.com/blog/hard-drive-important-differences-between-hdd-storage-solutions-and-ssd-solutions

Thank you.

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Re: The Best Page Explaining SSD vs. HD - For The Ignorant Like Myself.

<c3108b9c56e1a2fa50da4d1efc373874@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6217&group=alt.windows7.general#6217

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Re: The Best Page Explaining SSD vs. HD - For The Ignorant Like
Myself.
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 15:42:29 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 13:42 UTC

In article <qhs88i1ok7415uf5mohjq1ebc74frdgj05@4ax.com>
dyno dan <logic@is.important> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:14:48 +0200 (CEST), Joe@ignorance.com wrote:
>
> >Simple as heck to understand.
> >
> >https://www.arcserve.com/blog/hard-drive-important-differences-between-hdd-storage-solutions-and-ssd-solutions
>

> Thank you.

I posted this knowing that not every reader was a tekkie and also wondered about this SSD stuff as I have.

Nice when someone says 'thanks'. Doesn't happen often.

Re: your sig file: As far as drunken driving goes, I think almost everyone who drinks at all, no matter how slightly, has driven impaired after a dinner party or on Xmas eve going between relative's
homes. One citation for impaired driving i feel should be the end of tolerance. The 2nd time, it's a 90 day suspension. If they are caught driving during the suspension, it's one solid year in jail.
As for those caught for a 3rd time, it's jail - no bail or bond nonsense, you go to jail. Period.

This nonsense of drunk drivers having numerous incidents with the law with hardly any consequences is ridiculous and deadly. It has to stop.

As far as the NRA goes, I'm no gun aficionado. The semi-autos and revolvers I own are strictly for self defense. If the crooked politicians would put the lawless in prison for very lengthy terms, I
probably would feel I didn't need a gun. As it is, I have a concealed carry permit and always carry. Even in places that have signs up saying 'no carry'. For these I keep a small Ruger ,380 in a
pocket holster in my front pants pocket. However, in my state , the law says those signs are meaningless, but I seemingly adhere to them to lessen problems.

> --
> Protect your civil rights!
> Let the politicians know how you feel.
> Join or donate to the NRA today!
> http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR014887
> (use cut and paste to your browser if necessary)
>
> Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Re: The Best Page Explaining SSD vs. HD - For The Ignorant Like Myself.

<C0Bm1S+L4HhkFwRM@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6218&group=alt.windows7.general#6218

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:43:39 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 13:43 UTC

In message <qhs88i1ok7415uf5mohjq1ebc74frdgj05@4ax.com> at Sat, 10 Jun
2023 08:53:33, dyno dan <logic@is.important> writes
>On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:14:48 +0200 (CEST), Joe@ignorance.com wrote:
>
>>Simple as heck to understand.
>>
>>https://www.arcserve.com/blog/hard-drive-important-differences-between-
>>hdd-storage-solutions-and-ssd-solutions
>

>Thank you.

Hmm. I think it still overplays SSDs on "Reliability and Durability".
Granted, it does admit the finite life of SSDs - though expressing it as
256 terabytes seems odd; I'd have assumed it would vary with capacity.
(It'd also have been useful if it had given a similar figure for HDDs.
Sure, many factors - but aren't there with SSDs too?)

One aspect not covered - and I don't know the answer - is durability
when _not_ powered. I imagine both types of storage decay: magnetised
domains presumably do demagnetise, and certainly SSD cells discharge -
both probably needing decades before they're marginal. I feel HDDs
probably last longer, but I can't justify that: conversely, the
_mechanics_ may degrade - oil leak out of bearings, or ultimately stuck
heads (though I think they've "parked" safely off-disc for some time
now).

A bigger longevity problem is probably hardware support - how long it'll
be possible to find something to plug them into. Since AFAIK HDDs are
only on SATA (albeit version 3), support for those'll probably disappear
first.

Who is Art, and why does life imitate him?

Re: The Best Page Explaining SSD vs. HD - For The Ignorant Like Myself.

<msj98i1kgdli88fgbgj3g8m6bn10350ggu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6221&group=alt.windows7.general#6221

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 15:37:06 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 19:37 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:43:39 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <qhs88i1ok7415uf5mohjq1ebc74frdgj05@4ax.com> at Sat, 10 Jun
>2023 08:53:33, dyno dan <logic@is.important> writes
>>On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:14:48 +0200 (CEST), Joe@ignorance.com wrote:
>>
>>>Simple as heck to understand.
>>>
>>>https://www.arcserve.com/blog/hard-drive-important-differences-between-
>>>hdd-storage-solutions-and-ssd-solutions
>>

>>Thank you.
>>
>Hmm. I think it still overplays SSDs on "Reliability and Durability".
>Granted, it does admit the finite life of SSDs - though expressing it as
>256 terabytes seems odd; I'd have assumed it would vary with capacity.
>(It'd also have been useful if it had given a similar figure for HDDs.
>Sure, many factors - but aren't there with SSDs too?)
>>

>One aspect not covered - and I don't know the answer - is durability
>when _not_ powered. I imagine both types of storage decay: magnetised
>domains presumably do demagnetise, and certainly SSD cells discharge -
>both probably needing decades before they're marginal. I feel HDDs
>probably last longer, but I can't justify that: conversely, the
>_mechanics_ may degrade - oil leak out of bearings, or ultimately stuck
>heads (though I think they've "parked" safely off-disc for some time
>now).
>
>A bigger longevity problem is probably hardware support - how long it'll
>be possible to find something to plug them into. Since AFAIK HDDs are
>only on SATA (albeit version 3), support for those'll probably disappear
>first.

I may not be the best guy to ask because I just had a bad SSD and the
failure did not look like a bad drive. It was almost like it changed
the data instead of simply losing it. Windows wouldn't load but it
wasn't the typical hang or error message. It just put a Picasso on the
screen and sat there. The mouse cursor still moved and the access
light was blinking but nothing past that. I didn't try to recover the
drive, I just loaded the good image I had back to a spinner. I thought
about running some recovery tools but I wouldn't trust it if it did
come back clean.