"We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievement." -- Richard J. Daley

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

SubjectAuthor
* Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Peter Jason
+* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Carlos E.R.
|`- Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......J. P. Gilliver (John)
+- Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Peter Johnson
+- Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Zaidy036
`* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Peter Jason
 +* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......R.Wieser
 |`* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Wolffan
 | `* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......R.Wieser
 |  `* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Wolffan
 |   `* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......R.Wieser
 |    `* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Wolffan
 |     `* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......R.Wieser
 |      `- Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Wolffan
 +* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Wolffan
 |`* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Peter Jason
 | `- Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Paul
 `* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......NY
  `* Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......NY
   `- Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......Andy Burns

1
Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<6p097hpd1cdp3155lr949djrs9pa6ba0o3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62228&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62228

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 12:11:02 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Fri, 6 May 2022 02:11 UTC

....is this possible? We have a label printer and we want to
reconfigure a label on to another machine.

Please help.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<jk6fki-gge.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62233&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62233

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 11:33:39 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 6 May 2022 09:33 UTC

On 2022-05-06 04:11, Peter Jason wrote:
> ...is this possible? We have a label printer and we want to
> reconfigure a label on to another machine.
>
> Please help.

I've never heard of it. You mean from memory on the printer itself?

Maybe on printers that have a hard disk; I would try removing it, and
then try to figure out the files it contains, if any. Maybe in such
printers there is a file manager that runs on the computer.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<ah9a7h10qs8bapci3l9fi3sfc8schlc93t@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62244&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62244

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 14:46:16 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 6 May 2022 13:46 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 12:11:02 +1000, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>...is this possible? We have a label printer and we want to
>reconfigure a label on to another machine.

Sounds unlikely but more information is required. Are they the same
brand. What brand(s) are they.
Can't you find a template for the 'destination' printer and adapt it
to match the originating printer's template.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<t53g6k$f62$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62254&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62254

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 11:51:47 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Fri, 6 May 2022 15:51 UTC

On 5/5/2022 10:11 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> ...is this possible? We have a label printer and we want to
> reconfigure a label on to another machine.
>
> Please help.

Where is the original label data coming from? Make a batch run the
source and semd copies where ever you want BEFORE printing.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<WThVji3dfZdiFwob@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62260&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62260

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 22:49:17 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 6 May 2022 21:49 UTC

On Fri, 6 May 2022 at 11:33:39, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On 2022-05-06 04:11, Peter Jason wrote:
>> ...is this possible? We have a label printer and we want to
>> reconfigure a label on to another machine.
>> Please help.

(Seems a very odd way to go about doing what I think you are trying to
do.)

>I've never heard of it. You mean from memory on the printer itself?
>
>Maybe on printers that have a hard disk; I would try removing it, and
>then try to figure out the files it contains, if any. Maybe in such
>printers there is a file manager that runs on the computer.

No, I think he means the limbo that print jobs go into between you
clicking Print (or OK or whatever), and them actually being sent to the
printer: the "document queue" you see if you go to Settings, Printers,
and pick the printer in question. (In XP and 7, but I think still on
10.) Especially if you print without the printer in question connected
and/or turned on, or its out of paper or ink or has jammed or something.
I imagine it's a combination of a block of memory and a temporary buffer
on "disk" (SSD if that's what you're using), depending on the size of
the "raw" data it represents. (See also the other thread about the fact
that some printers apparently accept high-level data direct, such as PDF
files.)

As I say above (and I think others have too), it seems a very odd way to
achieve that end: what are you generating the labels from - a word
processor? Some dedicated label-making software? I would have thought
any such would be reconfigurable for a different printer (or different
labels on the same printer), unless it's some very old software that
came with a dedicated label printer (in which case I'm surprised it
still works on Windows 10). But I might be misunderstanding what you're
trying to do.

Santa's elves are just a bunch of subordinate Clauses.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<a98b7htfi6m729pthq87skki4scvav0qs1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62261&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62261

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 08:35:50 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Fri, 6 May 2022 22:35 UTC

Thanks to all,
The printer is attached to a computer with propriety label-printing
software. This computer allows only printing labels from itself to a
specific printer.
Our plan, to simplify things, is to store the myriad labels to
spoolers on the specific printer thus making it a
de-facto storage unit for labels access in the future. Of course the
spooled labels will be stored on a USB thumb drive.
Please help, though of course we can achieve a similar result with a
scanner & PShop.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<t55l6h$o1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62271&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62271

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 13:29:10 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 7 May 2022 11:29 UTC

Peter,

> The printer is attached to a computer with propriety label-printing
> software. This computer allows only printing labels from itself to
> a specific printer.

You think thats enough information to be able to come up with what you asked
for ?

Think again.

You are asking for /very/ specific information to do something with a
printer, while not even mentioning the model and make of it. Thats not
going to work I'm afraid.

Worse : Although a professional stand-alone printer/scanner/copier
combination can, as has been mentioned, have persistant storage (in the form
of harddrive or similar), *printers* normally don't have anything of the
kind.

They also seldom (if ever) have a way to retrieve what you send to them -
especially graphics data, as its converted into an internal format which is
very printer-specific (and thus useless to any other device).

IOW, your "lets read it outof the printer" is most likely a no-go.

My own first try would be to see if I could figure out where that
label-printing program gets its label data from (a file?), and see if that
could be used

The second try would be to see if I could change the printer-driver in the
'puter so it sends the data to a file, and capture the data that way.

Another would be to see if you can find some program to monitor print jobs
and see if the data can be retrieved from the computers printer-spooler.

Yet another way would be to find some printer port splitter (in software or
hardware), so you can make a copy of what gets send to the printer that way.

Though do take into account that the data captured this way is pre-processed
(to match what the target printer needs).

> Please help, though of course we can achieve a similar result with
> a scanner & PShop.

I suggest you do that.

Its the easiest one for all involved. All other methods will need rather
specific information you obviously do not want to part with and likely an
expensive technician to pull it off.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<0001HW.2826AC69020ADD5570000088938F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62273&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62273

Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 09:32:25 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 7 May 2022 13:32 UTC

On 06 May 2022, Peter Jason wrote
(in article<a98b7htfi6m729pthq87skki4scvav0qs1@4ax.com>):

> Thanks to all,
> The printer is attached to a computer

Running Win 10 or something else?
> with propriety label-printing
> software.

Name? Version number?
> This computer allows only printing labels from itself to a
> specific printer.

Make? Model? Is it a dedicated label printer? I have an old Seiko-Epson label
printer, not supported on Win 10 but still works on latest macOS. It does NOT
have built-in RAM. It does NOT have any secondary storage. Grabbing label
data from it would be... interesting. On Macs it, like almost all printers,
can print to PDF (built-in feature of OS X, starting in 2002) so it’s
trivial to capture label data. Are you sure that the label printing software
can’t print to PDF, using either MS’s own print-to-PDF driver or a 3rd
party? I use the Seiko-Epson to print small label runs, less than one full
sheet of labels. The Seiko-Epson software can, should I wish it, save each
label run as a file on the computer so that I can reprint that label run at
will. On Macs the Seiko-Epson can be shared, so while it’s attached to one
computer by USB, all Macs on the network can see it. It used to work on
Windows, too, up to Win 7. (Yeah, it’s old. It’s starting to show its
age, I’ll probably be replacing it with a new one Real Soon Now.)

> Our plan, to simplify things, is to store the myriad labels to
> spoolers on the specific printer

does this printer have secondary storage? if it doesn’t there will be
problems.
> thus making it a
> de-facto storage unit for labels access in the future. Of course the
> spooled labels will be stored on a USB thumb drive.

attached to the printer or to the computer?

> Please help, though of course we can achieve a similar result with a
> scanner & PShop.

what you need is:

1. MS Word (other word processors will work, too, including the word
processor section of Libre Office, which had the advantage of being free)

2. go to the Mailing tab in Word (or equivalent in other wp software)

3. select labels.

4. select a type of label (Word knows about lots of labels from Avery,
Microsoft, lots of other vendors, LO is a bit more limited but still has a
wide selection)

5. generate label sheet(s). There are multiple ways to do that using the
mailing list features in most wp software.

6. save the label sheet(s)

7. ensure that you have the correct labels (go to Office Depot, Staples,
Walmart, other vendors are available) and print at your leisure.

Note that you have the labels saved as a Word (or whatever) document and can
reprint, or modify, or whatever the hell you want, when you want, how you
want. And you’re not tied to a specific printer or a specific computer. And
you don’t have to do gymnastics to get a print job out of the label
printer.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<0001HW.2826AD5F020B171E70000088938F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62274&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62274

Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 09:36:31 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 7 May 2022 13:36 UTC

On 07 May 2022, R.Wieser wrote
(in article <t55l6h$o1$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> Peter,
>
> > The printer is attached to a computer with propriety label-printing
> > software. This computer allows only printing labels from itself to
> > a specific printer.
>
> You think thats enough information to be able to come up with what you asked
> for ?
>
> Think again.
>
> You are asking for /very/ specific information to do something with a
> printer, while not even mentioning the model and make of it. Thats not
> going to work I'm afraid.
>
> Worse : Although a professional stand-alone printer/scanner/copier
> combination can, as has been mentioned, have persistant storage (in the form
> of harddrive or similar), *printers* normally don't have anything of the
> kind.
>
> They also seldom (if ever) have a way to retrieve what you send to them -
> especially graphics data, as its converted into an internal format which is
> very printer-specific (and thus useless to any other device).
>
> IOW, your "lets read it outof the printer" is most likely a no-go.
>
> My own first try would be to see if I could figure out where that
> label-printing program gets its label data from (a file?), and see if that
> could be used
>
> The second try would be to see if I could change the printer-driver in the
> 'puter so it sends the data to a file, and capture the data that way.
>
> Another would be to see if you can find some program to monitor print jobs
> and see if the data can be retrieved from the computers printer-spooler.
>
> Yet another way would be to find some printer port splitter (in software or
> hardware), so you can make a copy of what gets send to the printer that way.
>
> Though do take into account that the data captured this way is pre-processed
> (to match what the target printer needs).
>
> > Please help, though of course we can achieve a similar result with
> > a scanner & PShop.
>
> I suggest you do that.
>
> Its the easiest one for all involved.

most dedicated label printers allow you to save your label run as a file on
the computer. (At least most of the ones I’ve used do, including some
remarkably cheap ones, intended for home rather than commercial use)

also, building a label run in Word (or other wp software) and printing to a
regular printer using standard label sheets is quicker, easier, and cheaper.
> All other methods will need rather
> specific information you obviously do not want to part with and likely an
> expensive technician to pull it off.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<t56evh$g6q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62278&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62278

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 19:49:04 +0100
 by: NY - Sat, 7 May 2022 18:49 UTC

"Peter Jason" <pj@jostle.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all,
> The printer is attached to a computer with propriety label-printing
> software. This computer allows only printing labels from itself to a
> specific printer.
> Our plan, to simplify things, is to store the myriad labels to
> spoolers on the specific printer thus making it a
> de-facto storage unit for labels access in the future. Of course the
> spooled labels will be stored on a USB thumb drive.
> Please help, though of course we can achieve a similar result with a
> scanner & PShop.

There are two separate issues:

1. saving a copy of the data that is sent to the printer so it can be copied
to another identical printer

2. saving the data so it can be sent to one of a different make/model

I presume this is a Windows app and the app is using the Windows printer
driver, rather than using a private "driver" that is part of the app.
Assuming it is (and you description makes me think it uses a private driver)

You can solve (1) by changing the printer configuration:

a) Devices and Printers
b) Right-click on printer
c) Printer Properties | Ports
d) note the current setting (which is ticked)
e) temporarily change to FILE
f) OK
g) Print the label - you will be prompted for a filename
h) Go back to Properties | Ports and tick the previously-noted port (eg
USB)

Now from a DOS command prompt you can use the command "COPY /b filename
LPT1" assuming the new printer is connected to LPT1. (The "/b" means "binary
copy" - ie don't modify \r, \n and \f characters if they happen to occur in
the middle of bitmapped graphics.

But if you want to print to a *different* make of printer, you will almost
certainly be out of luck because you need to use the control codes for the
new printer instead of for the original printer, and probably to make some
significant changes to the data which is sent - ie you will need to do the
job that a printer driver normally does.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<t56fk4$m45$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62279&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62279

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 20:00:00 +0100
 by: NY - Sat, 7 May 2022 19:00 UTC

"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> 1. saving a copy of the data that is sent to the printer so it can be
> copied to another identical printer

There is another way, though I've never tried it...

a) take the printer offline so Windows generates the spool file but does not
delete it immediately afterwards once the data has been copied to the
printer
b) look in C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS for a .spl file with the
correct date/time
c) copy that file somewhere safe
d) you can now put the printer back online so it prints the label (and
cleans up after itself)

Again, "COPY /b filename LPT" will work - for the correct device in place of
LPT1.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<t56kp8$1dss$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62284&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62284

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 22:28:10 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 7 May 2022 20:28 UTC

Wolffan,

> most dedicated label printers allow you to save your label run as a file
> on
> the computer.

Realy ? As far as I know them those label printers (especially the
consumer ones) are as dumb as they come, only capable of directly(!)
printing what they get fed (not even capable of printing a few more by
themselves by pressing a button on the printer).

But, in that case do tell the OP how to do that - cause he's looking for
that info. :-)

> also, building a label run in Word (or other wp software) and printing to
> a regular printer using standard label sheets is quicker, easier, and
> cheaper.

:-) Who knows, maybe thats what the OP has been intending to do all along.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<0001HW.2827275E0227AEF870000088938F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62289&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62289

Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 18:17:02 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 7 May 2022 22:17 UTC

On 07 May 2022, R.Wieser wrote
(in article <t56kp8$1dss$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> Wolffan,
>
> > most dedicated label printers allow you to save your label run as a file
> > on
> > the computer.
>
> Realy ? As far as I know them those label printers (especially the
> consumer ones) are as dumb as they come, only capable of directly(!)
> printing what they get fed (not even capable of printing a few more by
> themselves by pressing a button on the printer).

the label print software will save a file on the computer, if you set it that
way. For most label printers, anyway, down to extremely stupid $50 home
thermal printers. That’s one reason why I asked the make and model printer.
The printer itself doesn’t have the intelligence of an inkjet. I should
have made that clear.

> But, in that case do tell the OP how to do that - cause he's looking for
> that info. :-)
>
> > also, building a label run in Word (or other wp software) and printing to
> > a regular printer using standard label sheets is quicker, easier, and
> > cheaper.
>
> > -) Who knows, maybe thats what the OP has been intending to do all along.

I’ve spent far too much time building mailing lists in Word and usinmg them
to assemble multiple sheets of Avery laser labels, fed into a standard laser
printer. Note that inkjet labels are cheaper, but will cause serious problems
in a laser printer, they’ll tend to come off the sheets, gum up the
printers, cause jams, and may even catch fire if you don’t move fast.
(Anyone who thinks that I’m joking or exaggerating is invited to try it for
themselves.) Laser labels don’t work so well in inkjets, either. Use the
correct label for the job.

> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<t57pt3$4md$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62299&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62299

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:01:38 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 8 May 2022 07:01 UTC

Wolffan,

> the label print software will save a file on the computer, if you set it
> that way

Thats most likely the problem the OP started with : the sofware is
proprietary and might, on purpose, not have such a feature. (I take it that
thats the first thing the OP tried. Right, OP ?)

Hence my suggestion to try and see if it could be intercepted at a few
different points.

> The printer itself doesn't have the intelligence of an inkjet.
> I should have made that clear.

:-) You make it sound as if an inkjet commonly /does/ have such a read-back
feature.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<0001HW.28280250025B001170000282338F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62300&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62300

Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 09:51:12 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:51 UTC

On 08 May 2022, R.Wieser wrote
(in article <t57pt3$4md$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> Wolffan,
>
> > the label print software will save a file on the computer, if you set it
> > that way
>
> Thats most likely the problem the OP started with : the sofware is
> proprietary and might, on purpose, not have such a feature. (I take it that
> thats the first thing the OP tried. Right, OP ?)

that would be user error, either in not setting the software up correctly, or
in buying that product in the first place.

> Hence my suggestion to try and see if it could be intercepted at a few
> different points.
>
> > The printer itself doesn't have the intelligence of an inkjet.
> > I should have made that clear.
>
> > -) You make it sound as if an inkjet commonly /does/ have such a read-back
> feature.

heh. Some inkjets (my personal Epson MFD, for example, do have a CPU and some
RAM. Most lack any on-board smarts, and their software uses the computer to
get things done. The extremes are WinPrinters. If this thing is a Winprinter,
then much is explained.

As any printer I buy, for home or office, must talk to M<acs and Linux as
well as Windows, I don’t buy Winprinters. If a Winprinter is accidentally
purchased, it goes back the instant that it’s detected that it won’t work
with at least Macs, typically by looking at the box and noting that it
doesn’t say that it’s Mac-compatible.

> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<t58lfu$13dm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62301&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62301

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 16:52:43 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:52 UTC

wolffan,

> that would be user error, either in not setting the software up correctly,
> or in buying that product in the first place.

I think that in the OPs case it would fall under "management" /
"beancounter" error.

> heh. Some inkjets (my personal Epson MFD, for example, do have a CPU and
> some RAM. Most lack any on-board smarts, and their software uses the
> computer
> to get things done.

My own printer is a laser, with enough smarts to print ASCII as well as
(e)ps on its own (wanted to make sure it would survive more than a single OS
and/or version thereof). And even that one doesn't seem to support much
beyond "print this document I'm sending you".

> The extremes are WinPrinters. If this thing is a Winprinter, then much is
> explained.

:-) If its a win printer than the OP will definitily not be able to
retrieve anything from the printer itself.

But even than the conversion (of the provided data to whatever the
winprinter understands) is fully done by the printer driver, and the label
software /should/ not have much of any problem sending its data to another
printer.

> As any printer I buy, for home or office, must talk to M<acs and Linux
> as well as Windows, I don't buy Winprinters.

:-) Winprinters. Nope. Never saw the attraction of them.

My minimum requirement for printers was that they would at least need to be
capable of printing ASCII on its own. My current laserprinter has been
choosen because it also understands (e)ps. As such it doesn't matter much
which OS or version thereof its fed from.

The downside of such "it must be able to work on its own" was, next to the
higher price ofcourse, that I still have a 24 needle Epson LQ-400 (bought
for my thanwhile C64). Seldom used anymore, but still fully usable.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<nvbg7hlbp7d12g7j9beh0mv4cceeorrag9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62310&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62310

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 07:12:50 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 8 May 2022 21:12 UTC

On Sat, 07 May 2022 09:32:25 -0400, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com>
wrote:

>On 06 May 2022, Peter Jason wrote
>(in article<a98b7htfi6m729pthq87skki4scvav0qs1@4ax.com>):
>
>> Thanks to all,
>> The printer is attached to a computer
>
>Running Win 10 or something else?
>> with propriety label-printing
>> software.
Normal Windows 10 64bit

>Name? Version number?
>> This computer allows only printing labels from itself to a
>> specific printer.

>Make? Model? Is it a dedicated label printer?

It's an OKI A4 color laser MC342W
connected via USB.

>I have an old Seiko-Epson label
>printer, not supported on Win 10 but still works on latest macOS. It does NOT
>have built-in RAM. It does NOT have any secondary storage. Grabbing label
>data from it would be... interesting. On Macs it, like almost all printers,
>can print to PDF (built-in feature of OS X, starting in 2002) so it’s
>trivial to capture label data. Are you sure that the label printing software
>can’t print to PDF, using either MS’s own print-to-PDF driver or a 3rd
>party? I use the Seiko-Epson to print small label runs, less than one full
>sheet of labels. The Seiko-Epson software can, should I wish it, save each
>label run as a file on the computer so that I can reprint that label run at
>will. On Macs the Seiko-Epson can be shared, so while it’s attached to one
>computer by USB, all Macs on the network can see it. It used to work on
>Windows, too, up to Win 7. (Yeah, it’s old. It’s starting to show its
>age, I’ll probably be replacing it with a new one Real Soon Now.)
>>
>> Our plan, to simplify things, is to store the myriad labels to
>> spoolers on the specific printer
>
>does this printer have secondary storage? if it doesn’t there will be
>problems.

I don't know.

>> thus making it a
>> de-facto storage unit for labels access in the future. Of course the
>> spooled labels will be stored on a USB thumb drive.
>
>attached to the printer or to the computer?

Either

>> Please help, though of course we can achieve a similar result with a
>> scanner & PShop.
>
>what you need is:
>
>1. MS Word (other word processors will work, too, including the word
>processor section of Libre Office, which had the advantage of being free)
>
>2. go to the Mailing tab in Word (or equivalent in other wp software)
>
>3. select labels.
>
>4. select a type of label (Word knows about lots of labels from Avery,
>Microsoft, lots of other vendors, LO is a bit more limited but still has a
>wide selection)
>
>5. generate label sheet(s). There are multiple ways to do that using the
>mailing list features in most wp software.

I just make a table and section it into eights.

>6. save the label sheet(s)
>
>7. ensure that you have the correct labels (go to Office Depot, Staples,
>Walmart, other vendors are available) and print at your leisure.

I use the PET white thin sheets, which cost a lot. But they don't
wrinkle in the damp weather.

>Note that you have the labels saved as a Word (or whatever) document and can
>reprint, or modify, or whatever the hell you want, when you want, how you
>want. And you’re not tied to a specific printer or a specific computer. And
>you don’t have to do gymnastics to get a print job out of the label
>printer.

I have MS "Publisher" and I often print color stickers for goods. It
works OK.

I have had good results with our scanner set to photo 600dpi. I scan
to a PDF and then OCR the result. The label quality is as good as
the propriety software, but I have yet to discover how to
alter/replace the text in the body of the label.

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<0001HW.282870770274D16770000282338F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62311&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62311

Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 17:41:11 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 8 May 2022 21:41 UTC

On 08 May 2022, R.Wieser wrote
(in article <t58lfu$13dm$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> wolffan,
>
> > that would be user error, either in not setting the software up correctly,
> > or in buying that product in the first place.
>
> I think that in the OPs case it would fall under "management" /
> "beancounter" error.
>
> > heh. Some inkjets (my personal Epson MFD, for example, do have a CPU and
> > some RAM. Most lack any on-board smarts, and their software uses the
> > computer
> > to get things done.
>
> My own printer is a laser, with enough smarts to print ASCII as well as
> (e)ps on its own (wanted to make sure it would survive more than a single OS
> and/or version thereof). And even that one doesn't seem to support much
> beyond "print this document I'm sending you".
>
> > The extremes are WinPrinters. If this thing is a Winprinter, then much is
> > explained.
>
> > -) If its a win printer than the OP will definitily not be able to
> retrieve anything from the printer itself.
>
> But even than the conversion (of the provided data to whatever the
> winprinter understands) is fully done by the printer driver, and the label
> software /should/ not have much of any problem sending its data to another
> printer.
>
> > As any printer I buy, for home or office, must talk to M<acs and Linux
> > as well as Windows, I don't buy Winprinters.
>
> > -) Winprinters. Nope. Never saw the attraction of them.
>
> My minimum requirement for printers was that they would at least need to be
> capable of printing ASCII on its own. My current laserprinter has been
> choosen because it also understands (e)ps. As such it doesn't matter much
> which OS or version thereof its fed from.
>
> The downside of such "it must be able to work on its own" was, next to the
> higher price ofcourse, that I still have a 24 needle Epson LQ-400 (bought
> for my thanwhile C64). Seldom used anymore, but still fully usable.

I had an Imagewriter (not, repeat, NOT an ImageWriter, the InterCaps in the
name were retrofitted later, the box it came in had lower-case ‘w’s...)
which lasted for over a decade, until well after The Blessed Steve(r)
Returned In Glory From Exile(tm), and banished serial ports (and floppy
drives) into the Outer Darkness(tm). It could still work, slowly, using a
serial-to-USB adaptor, but the writing was on the wall. I ditched it for a
laser. I also had a 9-pin Epson of similar vintage. That one made it all the
way to XP before expiring of no driver support, or at least no driver support
from Epson without digging deep on Epson’s site. There actually was
3rd-party driver support, which held on for a while longer. I ditched it for
an inkjet.

> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<t5a4sm$1tf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62314&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62314

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 00:21:42 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 9 May 2022 04:21 UTC

On 5/8/2022 5:12 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2022 09:32:25 -0400, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06 May 2022, Peter Jason wrote
>> (in article<a98b7htfi6m729pthq87skki4scvav0qs1@4ax.com>):
>>
> Normal Windows 10 64bit
> Propriety label-printing software.
> This computer allows only printing labels from itself to a
> specific printer.
>
> It's an OKI A4 color laser MC342W connected via USB.
>
>>> Our plan, to simplify things, is to store the myriad labels to
>>> spoolers on the specific printer
>
>>> thus making it a de-facto storage unit for labels
> access in the future. Of course the spooled labels
> will be stored on a USB thumb drive.
>>>
>>> Please help, though of course we can achieve a similar result with a
>>> scanner & PShop.
>>>
> I just make a table and section it into eights.
>>
> I use the PET white thin sheets, which cost a lot. But they don't
> wrinkle in the damp weather.
>
> I have MS "Publisher" and I often print color stickers for goods. It
> works OK.
>
> I have had good results with our scanner set to photo 600dpi. I scan
> to a PDF and then OCR the result. The label quality is as good as
> the propriety software, but I have yet to discover how to
> alter/replace the text in the body of the label.

It seems to be an ordinary printing device. Like, a laser AIO.

https://www.oki.com/au/printing/images/MC342dnw_hero_left_tcm52-78739.png

High Definition colour printing, fax, duplex printing,
scanning/copying and automatic RADF functions making
it a fast and efficient document management tool.

USB2, Eth, Wifi a/b/g/n [Can't find a reference to USB Host connector
or to the usage of USB flash sticks]

PS emulation and PS driver
PCL emulation and PCL driver

Using the PS driver, you can set it up as a "Print to File" printer.
Using that, while in Publisher, you can select Print, then select
your Print To File output device. That will make a PostScript file,
which a program like GIMP can open (with some difficulty, as Postscript
support requires installing GhostScript and faffing about).

Dropping the Postscript into Acrobat Distiller, would make
a PDF of it. The text can be edited at that point.

When you print to file, the output file, typically output.prn,
it has a few lines of header and trailer. You can edit that with
Wordpad and remove the header and trailer.

It would be harder to edit at the PostScript level. Like,
to arrange a 2x4 matrix of arbitrary edited labels, that's going
to be tough. PostScript has EPS for that, which allows arbitrary
vector objects to be placed on a page, but most tool flows don't
Export to that, making that less likely to be an option

*******

You can also look at Publisher "Save As" or "Export" functions,
and see if will export to Word. That's if, for some reason,
you don't want to edit in Publisher.

*******

I don't know, why specifically you feel boxed into a corner
on this one. You should be using the Win10 PC for the power
it can provide, and do all the ceremonies right on it. The printer
should be the last to know, what you're doing.

When it comes to scan and OCR, there are two options:

1) Replace blotchy letter in original scan, with nice
clean OCR letter pixmap. This makes the image look
better, but the text cannot be edited. This is almost
always the wrong option, since OCR makes mistakes, and
needs to be edited.

2) Replace blotchy letter in original scan, with
*overlay editable text string". Check the OCR options
for doing this.

My ancient Acrobat Exchange does (2) by default. I can
edit the text, and change "o" to "0" and "0" to "o" for
all the mistakes it makes :-/

I think on Linux, even Tesseract recently got an output
option, to put the text in the document as an overlay.

in Publisher. I know you want to re-purpose some
step in your workflow. You mention Publisher,
but you also mention proprietary label preparation
software you seem to be trying to bypass. Perhaps
giving the audience more of an explanation of what
you don't want to do, will better focus the
answers. It could be, that the proprietary label
preparation software, cannot be made to use a
"Print to File" print driver, preventing direct
capture without printing to media.

Paul

Re: Copying a file from the printer memory buffer......

<jdsmidFbvoiU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62336&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62336

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:25:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 9 May 2022 14:25 UTC

NY wrote:

> "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message news:t56evh$g6q$1@dont-email.me...
>> 1. saving a copy of the data that is sent to the printer so it can be copied
>> to another identical printer
>
> There is another way, though I've never tried it...
>
> a) take the printer offline so Windows generates the spool file but does not
> delete it immediately afterwards once the data has been copied to the printer
> b) look in C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS for a .spl file with the correct
> date/time
> c) copy that file somewhere safe
> d) you can now put the printer back online so it prints the label (and cleans up
> after itself)
>
> Again, "COPY /b filename LPT" will work - for the correct device in place of LPT1.

There's an advanced printer setting "keep printed documents" that allows you to
reprint a print job, after it's been printed once, of course it's a good way to
fill-up your disk ...