Superior ability breeds superior ambition. -- Spock, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: xsane

SubjectAuthor
* xsanepinnerite
+- Re: xsaneBig Al
`* Re: xsanePaul
 +* Re: xsanepinnerite
 |`- Re: xsanePaul
 `* Re: xsaneBig Al
  `* Re: xsanePaul
   `* Re: xsaneBig Al
    `* Re: xsanePaul
     `- Re: xsaneBig Al

1
xsane

<20230603113219.3101930ff00cef3e66b608cb@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6218&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6218

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: xsane
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 11:32:19 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 10:32 UTC

I have a Fujitsu cut-sheet scanner.
I have kept Windows XP as a virtual guest so that I can cintinue to use it.
Having reorganised my study/office, I decided to scan and shred paper files that had built up.
Although Xsane running under Mint 21.1 could "see" it, XP for some reason could not.

Eventually I decided to try xsane. I had only previously used it for single sheets.

Although a bit more cumbersome than Fujitsu's software on XP, it worked.

When I checked xsane's version, I found it was 0.999, dated back to 2013.

I am amazed that such a brilliant bit of software had not received any TLC since then.

I am grateful to Oliver Rauch for it regardless

Re: xsane

<u5f7kd$3i5ho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6219&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6219

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: xsane
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 07:19:39 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 11:19 UTC

On 6/3/23 06:32, this is what pinnerite wrote:
> I have a Fujitsu cut-sheet scanner.
> I have kept Windows XP as a virtual guest so that I can cintinue to use it.
> Having reorganised my study/office, I decided to scan and shred paper files that had built up.
> Although Xsane running under Mint 21.1 could "see" it, XP for some reason could not.
>
> Eventually I decided to try xsane. I had only previously used it for single sheets.
>
> Although a bit more cumbersome than Fujitsu's software on XP, it worked.
>
> When I checked xsane's version, I found it was 0.999, dated back to 2013.
>
> I am amazed that such a brilliant bit of software had not received any TLC since then.
>
> I am grateful to Oliver Rauch for it regardless

Github and Gitlab both have the same 0.999 version. Even though Gitlab has been touched in the past year, it's still
only .999. I guess when it works, it works.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: xsane

<u5fgv9$3j28h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6221&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6221

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:59:05 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 13:59 UTC

On 6/3/2023 6:32 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> I have a Fujitsu cut-sheet scanner.
> I have kept Windows XP as a virtual guest so that I can cintinue to use it.
> Having reorganised my study/office, I decided to scan and shred paper files that had built up.
> Although Xsane running under Mint 21.1 could "see" it, XP for some reason could not.
>
> Eventually I decided to try xsane. I had only previously used it for single sheets.
>
> Although a bit more cumbersome than Fujitsu's software on XP, it worked.
>
> When I checked xsane's version, I found it was 0.999, dated back to 2013.
>
> I am amazed that such a brilliant bit of software had not received any TLC since then.
>
> I am grateful to Oliver Rauch for it regardless

A Guest OS in VirtualBox, can see USB hardware devices if the passthru
driver (ExtPack) has been installed. The ExtPack can be downloaded from
VirtualBox.org (what I did) but package manager or the like might have
already downloaded a copy.

Mine wasn't working right when I went to use it just now, so I had
to install the ExtPack again, to get the three USB entries in Settings.

In this example, I have connected a webcam to the Linux Host, used
EHCI USB2 passthru, and used the WinXP era application "amcap.exe"
to demonstrate I can run a web camera in the Guest. The device
in the example, could just as easily be a Fujitsu cutsheet scanner.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/153dNbqk/winxp-guest-vbox6138-LM211.gif

The ExtPack is only for personal use, and they send the lawyers
after you, if you are a corporation (because... Oracle). Virtualbox
itself is FOSS, the ExtPack has a different set of license terms.

Paul

Re: xsane

<20230603230318.6cb49cff4ce7b3e7a93b21c6@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6223&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6223

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 23:03:18 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 22:03 UTC

On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:59:05 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 6/3/2023 6:32 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> > I have a Fujitsu cut-sheet scanner.
> > I have kept Windows XP as a virtual guest so that I can cintinue to use it.
> > Having reorganised my study/office, I decided to scan and shred paper files that had built up.
> > Although Xsane running under Mint 21.1 could "see" it, XP for some reason could not.
> >
> > Eventually I decided to try xsane. I had only previously used it for single sheets.
> >
> > Although a bit more cumbersome than Fujitsu's software on XP, it worked.
> >
> > When I checked xsane's version, I found it was 0.999, dated back to 2013.
> >
> > I am amazed that such a brilliant bit of software had not received any TLC since then.
> >
> > I am grateful to Oliver Rauch for it regardless
> >

> A Guest OS in VirtualBox, can see USB hardware devices if the passthru
> driver (ExtPack) has been installed. The ExtPack can be downloaded from
> VirtualBox.org (what I did) but package manager or the like might have
> already downloaded a copy.
>
> Mine wasn't working right when I went to use it just now, so I had
> to install the ExtPack again, to get the three USB entries in Settings.
>
> In this example, I have connected a webcam to the Linux Host, used
> EHCI USB2 passthru, and used the WinXP era application "amcap.exe"
> to demonstrate I can run a web camera in the Guest. The device
> in the example, could just as easily be a Fujitsu cutsheet scanner.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/153dNbqk/winxp-guest-vbox6138-LM211.gif
>
> The ExtPack is only for personal use, and they send the lawyers
> after you, if you are a corporation (because... Oracle). Virtualbox
> itself is FOSS, the ExtPack has a different set of license terms.
>
> Paul

Well, I installed ExTpack again, following your example but no
improvement. Two weeks ago in another room the Fujitsu fi-6130 ran
happily under XP but i couldn't justify the expense of buying software
for Windows 10.

Now it doesn't. It cannot be the USB cable length because it runs
under the Linux host. It could be a Windows setting of course but I
haven't the time to start studying ancient Windows.

Thanfully, xsane has saved my 'er bacon.

Alan

Re: xsane

<u5hbb2$3sk44$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6224&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6224

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 02:35:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 06:35 UTC

On 6/3/2023 6:03 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:59:05 -0400
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 6/3/2023 6:32 AM, pinnerite wrote:
>>> I have a Fujitsu cut-sheet scanner.
>>> I have kept Windows XP as a virtual guest so that I can cintinue to use it.
>>> Having reorganised my study/office, I decided to scan and shred paper files that had built up.
>>> Although Xsane running under Mint 21.1 could "see" it, XP for some reason could not.
>>>
>>> Eventually I decided to try xsane. I had only previously used it for single sheets.
>>>
>>> Although a bit more cumbersome than Fujitsu's software on XP, it worked.
>>>
>>> When I checked xsane's version, I found it was 0.999, dated back to 2013.
>>>
>>> I am amazed that such a brilliant bit of software had not received any TLC since then.
>>>
>>> I am grateful to Oliver Rauch for it regardless
>>>

>> A Guest OS in VirtualBox, can see USB hardware devices if the passthru
>> driver (ExtPack) has been installed. The ExtPack can be downloaded from
>> VirtualBox.org (what I did) but package manager or the like might have
>> already downloaded a copy.
>>
>> Mine wasn't working right when I went to use it just now, so I had
>> to install the ExtPack again, to get the three USB entries in Settings.
>>
>> In this example, I have connected a webcam to the Linux Host, used
>> EHCI USB2 passthru, and used the WinXP era application "amcap.exe"
>> to demonstrate I can run a web camera in the Guest. The device
>> in the example, could just as easily be a Fujitsu cutsheet scanner.
>>
>> [Picture]
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/153dNbqk/winxp-guest-vbox6138-LM211.gif
>>
>> The ExtPack is only for personal use, and they send the lawyers
>> after you, if you are a corporation (because... Oracle). Virtualbox
>> itself is FOSS, the ExtPack has a different set of license terms.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Well, I installed ExTpack again, following your example but no
> improvement. Two weeks ago in another room the Fujitsu fi-6130 ran
> happily under XP but i couldn't justify the expense of buying software
> for Windows 10.
>
> Now it doesn't. It cannot be the USB cable length because it runs
> under the Linux host. It could be a Windows setting of course but I
> haven't the time to start studying ancient Windows.
>
> Thanfully, xsane has saved my 'er bacon.
>
> Alan

Well, Windows XP has OHCI and EHCI USB drivers in-box, so
that should just work. It's USB3 XHCI that Windows XP does not
have as a native driver. And for the Fujitsu, you don't need
such a thing.

You can see in my example, I opened "devmgmt.msc" the WinXP Device
Manager executable, and checked my "filtered" passthru USB item
was present. Sometimes, the filter dialog "names" the item properly,
but if it doesn't, you can manually enter the info you get
from Linux host "lsusb" to tell VirtualBox what you want.

You see, mine was a bit broken, and that might have happened
when LM21.1 was upgraded. The ExtPack step should have fixed that,
and seeing the three lines of USB choices in the Settings dialog,
helped me confirm that had tipped it upright again.

If you're installing VirtualBox for the first time, more things
can go wrong with that process. In my case, mine had been working.
I installed WinXP from an OVA (appliance), rather than installing
WinXP from scratch (that's to save time). That, most likely, even
has the wrong version of Guest Additions, but it *still* worked :-)
I still managed to get my USB webcam working, as a Guest passthru.

Paul

Re: xsane

<u5i30o$3v7i4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6225&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6225

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 09:19:18 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 13:19 UTC

On 6/3/23 09:59, this is what Paul wrote:
> On 6/3/2023 6:32 AM, pinnerite wrote:
>> I have a Fujitsu cut-sheet scanner.
>> I have kept Windows XP as a virtual guest so that I can cintinue to use it.
>> Having reorganised my study/office, I decided to scan and shred paper files that had built up.
>> Although Xsane running under Mint 21.1 could "see" it, XP for some reason could not.
>>
>> Eventually I decided to try xsane. I had only previously used it for single sheets.
>>
>> Although a bit more cumbersome than Fujitsu's software on XP, it worked.
>>
>> When I checked xsane's version, I found it was 0.999, dated back to 2013.
>>
>> I am amazed that such a brilliant bit of software had not received any TLC since then.
>>
>> I am grateful to Oliver Rauch for it regardless
>>

> A Guest OS in VirtualBox, can see USB hardware devices if the passthru
> driver (ExtPack) has been installed. The ExtPack can be downloaded from
> VirtualBox.org (what I did) but package manager or the like might have
> already downloaded a copy.
>
> Mine wasn't working right when I went to use it just now, so I had
> to install the ExtPack again, to get the three USB entries in Settings.
>
> In this example, I have connected a webcam to the Linux Host, used
> EHCI USB2 passthru, and used the WinXP era application "amcap.exe"
> to demonstrate I can run a web camera in the Guest. The device
> in the example, could just as easily be a Fujitsu cutsheet scanner.
>
>    [Picture]
>
>     https://i.postimg.cc/153dNbqk/winxp-guest-vbox6138-LM211.gif
>
> The ExtPack is only for personal use, and they send the lawyers
> after you, if you are a corporation (because... Oracle). Virtualbox
> itself is FOSS, the ExtPack has a different set of license terms.
>
>     Paul
How did you get the Vendor ID and Product ID to put into Virtualbox filters? lsusb?
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: xsane

<u5iqmf$2125$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6226&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6226

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:03:28 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:03 UTC

On 6/4/2023 9:19 AM, Big Al wrote:

> How did you get the Vendor ID and Product ID to put into Virtualbox filters? lsusb?

Yes.

I had to use "lsusb", because fickle VirtualBox would not list
my device. But I suppose that's why the filter dialog exists,
as a fallback. On other occasions, VirtualBox offers a list
of English language items to select from, and then you don't
need to deal with the numerics like that.

Paul

Re: xsane

<u5j8rj$3j99$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6227&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6227

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:05:07 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 00:05 UTC

On 6/4/23 16:03, this is what Paul wrote:
> On 6/4/2023 9:19 AM, Big Al wrote:
>
>> How did you get the Vendor ID and Product ID to put into Virtualbox filters? lsusb?
>
> Yes.
>
> I had to use "lsusb", because fickle VirtualBox would not list
> my device. But I suppose that's why the filter dialog exists,
> as a fallback. On other occasions, VirtualBox offers a list
> of English language items to select from, and then you don't
> need to deal with the numerics like that.
>
>    Paul
so you just split the 1234:5678 from lsusb into those to fields in vbox?
I can't get mine working either. I tried adding the guest additions ISO to the guest but now the guest won't display a
screen. Mint 21 is the guest and host. So I replace the backup. still no usb.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: xsane

<u5k40n$9p2i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6230&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6230

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 03:48:38 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 07:48 UTC

On 6/4/2023 8:05 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 6/4/23 16:03, this is what Paul wrote:
>> On 6/4/2023 9:19 AM, Big Al wrote:
>>
>>> How did you get the Vendor ID and Product ID to put into Virtualbox filters? lsusb?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> I had to use "lsusb", because fickle VirtualBox would not list
>> my device. But I suppose that's why the filter dialog exists,
>> as a fallback. On other occasions, VirtualBox offers a list
>> of English language items to select from, and then you don't
>> need to deal with the numerics like that.
>>
>>     Paul
> so you just split the 1234:5678 from lsusb into those to fields in vbox?
> I can't get mine working either.   I tried adding the guest additions ISO to the guest but now the guest won't display a screen.  Mint 21 is the guest and host.   So I replace the backup.  still no usb.

The ExtPack (the part with the "non-commercial" license), is the
bit that provides USB piping into the Guest. The installation
process, used to use DKMS, meaning it was something integrated
with the kernel.

What I notice in more modern distro versions (like 21.1) is while
Oracle might talk loosely about DKMS, the installation step today
finishes much too quickly for a DKMS build. And this means something
else is going on today. Functionally though, it achieves the same end,
which is to install a filter driver in the USB path, and if a packet
headed for 1234:5678 shows up, that packet is instead offered to the
Guest on a virtual USB interface. It's even possible USB passthru works
without a reboot (which tells you it's not DKMS).

As for your black screen thing, remember that VirtualBox over the ages,
had either one virtual graphics driver or three virtual graphics types.
When you create a "New" Guest, and you happen to mention "LinuxMint"
(same as Ubuntu), then one of the three virtual graphics types is
selected and it is the "preferred" one. If you take it off that choice,
or if you use a Guest Editions from the Dark Ages, then there is a good
chance the wrong graphics driver is available to the booting Guest OS.
My understanding of "why" this new distinction on graphics is necessary,
is fuzzy at best. I just go with the flow, and try not to piss the
software off too much. Come to think of it, when I installed my WinXP
OVA, it should really have been blown out of the water by the issue
(should have black screened). Maybe the Settings were corrected, before
I started the VM.

*******

Don't forget to check your groups list for "vboxusers" :-)

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=97481

I just love all this secret handshake stuff (SAMBA has something like
this too).

Paul

Re: xsane

<u5kl4p$bedu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6231&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6231

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 08:40:56 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 12:40 UTC

On 6/5/23 03:48, this is what Paul wrote:
> On 6/4/2023 8:05 PM, Big Al wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> I had to use "lsusb", because fickle VirtualBox would not list
>>> my device. But I suppose that's why the filter dialog exists,
>>> as a fallback. On other occasions, VirtualBox offers a list
>>> of English language items to select from, and then you don't
>>> need to deal with the numerics like that.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>> so you just split the 1234:5678 from lsusb into those to fields in vbox?
>> I can't get mine working either.   I tried adding the guest additions ISO to the guest but now the guest won't display
>> a screen.  Mint 21 is the guest and host.   So I replace the backup.  still no usb.
>>

> The ExtPack (the part with the "non-commercial" license), is the
> bit that provides USB piping into the Guest. The installation
> process, used to use DKMS, meaning it was something integrated
> with the kernel.
>
> What I notice in more modern distro versions (like 21.1) is while
> Oracle might talk loosely about DKMS, the installation step today
> finishes much too quickly for a DKMS build. And this means something
> else is going on today. Functionally though, it achieves the same end,
> which is to install a filter driver in the USB path, and if a packet
> headed for 1234:5678 shows up, that packet is instead offered to the
> Guest on a virtual USB interface. It's even possible USB passthru works
> without a reboot (which tells you it's not DKMS).
>
> As for your black screen thing, remember that VirtualBox over the ages,
> had either one virtual graphics driver or three virtual graphics types.
> When you create a "New" Guest, and you happen to mention "LinuxMint"
> (same as Ubuntu), then one of the three virtual graphics types is
> selected and it is the "preferred" one. If you take it off that choice,
> or if you use a Guest Editions from the Dark Ages, then there is a good
> chance the wrong graphics driver is available to the booting Guest OS.
> My understanding of "why" this new distinction on graphics is necessary,
> is fuzzy at best. I just go with the flow, and try not to piss the
> software off too much. Come to think of it, when I installed my WinXP
> OVA, it should really have been blown out of the water by the issue
> (should have black screened). Maybe the Settings were corrected, before
> I started the VM.
>
> *******
>
> Don't forget to check your groups list for "vboxusers" :-)
>
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=97481
>
> I just love all this secret handshake stuff (SAMBA has something like
> this too).
>
>    Paul
> I added the vboxuser to me and sure enough, a list shows up. The usb 2 or 3.0 device isn't in the list but others are.
I compare to lsusb to verify what the device is, it's better than what vbox displays, who'd guess.

Anyway, thanks. this is a non-issue and not worth more time as far as I want. I'll check the video driver thing some
day. I need breakfast!!! is more on my mind. :-)
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al