Neil Armstrong tripped.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facility

SubjectAuthor
* No Sleep or Hibernate facilityme
+* Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facilityPaul
|`* Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facilityme
| `* Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facilityStan Brown
|  `- Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facilityPaul
`- Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facilityKen Blake

1
No Sleep or Hibernate facility

<9rq77ht5jgk74s4e1atbfbq7f5rl5isggp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62194&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62194

From: me...@nowhere.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: No Sleep or Hibernate facility
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 16:26:31 +0100
 by: me...@nowhere.com - Thu, 5 May 2022 15:26 UTC

Hi, Just recently, after makking no system changes, I am ubable to
Hibernate or Sleep the computer.The screen sleeps and immediately
wakes to show the desktop. Win 10 21H1 Any ideas?

https://www.avg.com

Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facility

<t51g5r$cat$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62214&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62214

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facility
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 17:39:06 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 5 May 2022 21:39 UTC

On 5/5/2022 11:26 AM, me@nowhere.com wrote:
> Hi, Just recently, after makking no system changes, I am ubable to
> Hibernate or Sleep the computer.The screen sleeps and immediately
> wakes to show the desktop. Win 10 21H1 Any ideas?

powercfg has a great many functions, and some of them are useful.

"powercfg -a"

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/63346-sleep-states-available-your-windows-10-pc.html

powercfg /h off # turns off hibernation S4 (and removes C:\hiberfil.sys)
powercfg /h on # there is also a parameter to set the size, like to 50% of total RAM.
# Hibernation records RAM contents to disk, and the contents are compressed.

The BIOS has some settings.
Something labeled: S1, S3, S1&S3 # Select anything with S3 in it

The BIOS has an ACPI setting: ACPI 2.0: Enable # The older ACPI sucks. Why would they do this ?
# Modern systems removed this setting (fortunately).
# The subsystems were called APM and ACPI, and APM
# was closer to the "It is safe to turn off your PC"
# era. APM will not affect Sleep.

Corrupted or incorrect BIOS settings can contribute to the problem.
Mainly on older hardware.

Some OSes have supported "NoACPI" and that wipes out Sleep and Hibernate (S3 and S4) instantly.

On modern Windows, this is organized as the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) in the
Computer entry in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc). On W10 or W11, it's always going
to have the word "ACPI" in there. I don't even know if Windows could operate
without being ACPI-based now.

So the machine operation "tilts in the right direction" for this stuff to work.
However, you might be the first to discover another HAL is possible. Older
versions of Windows had more HAL strings than that, and some were "nasty to fix".
The "dumppo" utility from the old days, doesn't work in Win10.

*******

The problem with Windows, is it can make inane statements via "powercfg -a",
but the user is tasked with knowing the kinds of nooks and crannies mentioned
above.

Windows 10 even used to have a page, with a tick box for "Sleep"
and a tick box for "Hibernate", but that might have been around
10586 or so.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7445-add-remove-hibernate-power-menu-windows-10-a.html

The power subsystem has around 200 registry entries, and seems
to be indexed by "well-known" (cough) GUID values. You will find
the occasional tutorial on modification at that level, but I
don't recommend that.

This is one of those tech issues, where you have to look "everywhere".

Paul

Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facility

<hck87ht3v1k4o06lbt06psvt251k314i8h@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62216&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62216

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 15:39:01 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 5 May 2022 22:39 UTC

On Thu, 05 May 2022 16:26:31 +0100, me@nowhere.com wrote:

> --
> https://www.avg.com

Your message is *not* an e-mail message and nobody here wants to see
you advertise for AVG. Please turn of that "feature" of AVG.

Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facility

<b6da7ht2831jjvs6duro1ma9gcc8hubi5b@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62248&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62248

From: me...@nowhere.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 15:52:35 +0100
 by: me...@nowhere.com - Fri, 6 May 2022 14:52 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2022 17:39:06 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 5/5/2022 11:26 AM, me@nowhere.com wrote:
>> Hi, Just recently, after makking no system changes, I am ubable to
>> Hibernate or Sleep the computer.The screen sleeps and immediately
>> wakes to show the desktop. Win 10 21H1 Any ideas?
>>

>powercfg has a great many functions, and some of them are useful.
>
>"powercfg -a"
>
>https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/63346-sleep-states-available-your-windows-10-pc.html
>
>powercfg /h off # turns off hibernation S4 (and removes C:\hiberfil.sys)
>powercfg /h on # there is also a parameter to set the size, like to 50% of total RAM.
> # Hibernation records RAM contents to disk, and the contents are compressed.
>
>The BIOS has some settings.
>Something labeled: S1, S3, S1&S3 # Select anything with S3 in it
>
>The BIOS has an ACPI setting: ACPI 2.0: Enable # The older ACPI sucks. Why would they do this ?
> # Modern systems removed this setting (fortunately).
> # The subsystems were called APM and ACPI, and APM
> # was closer to the "It is safe to turn off your PC"
> # era. APM will not affect Sleep.
>
>Corrupted or incorrect BIOS settings can contribute to the problem.
>Mainly on older hardware.
>
>Some OSes have supported "NoACPI" and that wipes out Sleep and Hibernate (S3 and S4) instantly.
>
>On modern Windows, this is organized as the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) in the
>Computer entry in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc). On W10 or W11, it's always going
>to have the word "ACPI" in there. I don't even know if Windows could operate
>without being ACPI-based now.
>
>So the machine operation "tilts in the right direction" for this stuff to work.
>However, you might be the first to discover another HAL is possible. Older
>versions of Windows had more HAL strings than that, and some were "nasty to fix".
>The "dumppo" utility from the old days, doesn't work in Win10.
>
>*******
>
>The problem with Windows, is it can make inane statements via "powercfg -a",
>but the user is tasked with knowing the kinds of nooks and crannies mentioned
>above.
>
>Windows 10 even used to have a page, with a tick box for "Sleep"
>and a tick box for "Hibernate", but that might have been around
>10586 or so.
>
>https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7445-add-remove-hibernate-power-menu-windows-10-a.html
>
>The power subsystem has around 200 registry entries, and seems
>to be indexed by "well-known" (cough) GUID values. You will find
>the occasional tutorial on modification at that level, but I
>don't recommend that.
>
>This is one of those tech issues, where you have to look "everywhere".
>
> Paul

Many thanks for that. I have often read of problems with sleep and
hibernate (and occasionally had problems on older systems) but I
wasn't aware of all the intricacies. Just to complicate matters, the
problem seems to be intermittent. I'll delve further and see if I can
narrow it down.

https://www.avg.com

Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facility

<MPG.3cdee0ce1a8c072498ff21@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62252&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62252

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 08:38:26 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 6 May 2022 15:38 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 15:52:35 +0100, me@nowhere.com wrote:
> Many thanks for that. I have often read of problems with sleep and
> hibernate (and occasionally had problems on older systems) but I
> wasn't aware of all the intricacies. Just to complicate matters, the
> problem seems to be intermittent. I'll delve further and see if I can
> narrow it down.

On Thu, 05 May 2022 16:26:31 +0100, me@nowhere.com wrote:

> The screen sleeps and immediately
> wakes to show the desktop. Win 10 21H1 Any ideas?

From your description, I think it _might_ the the following, but I
could be misinterpreting you.

It sounds to me as though sleep and hibernate aren't turned off,
because if they were I don't think the screen would go dark.

Instead, some device could be immediately waking your system. I
believe Event Viewer will tell you which device. Then you can go into
Device Manager and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"
on the Power Management tab of properties.

(Despite the word "device" in the settings, it's really device+port.
For example, I had set my wireless mouse not to wake the computer,
but when moved its dongle to a different USB port the computer
thought it was a different device, and I had to set _that_ "device"
not to wake the computer.)

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: No Sleep or Hibernate facility

<t549lr$jrn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62262&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62262

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 19:06:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 6 May 2022 23:06 UTC

On 5/6/2022 11:38 AM, Stan Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 06 May 2022 15:52:35 +0100, me@nowhere.com wrote:
>> Many thanks for that. I have often read of problems with sleep and
>> hibernate (and occasionally had problems on older systems) but I
>> wasn't aware of all the intricacies. Just to complicate matters, the
>> problem seems to be intermittent. I'll delve further and see if I can
>> narrow it down.
>
> On Thu, 05 May 2022 16:26:31 +0100, me@nowhere.com wrote:
>>
>> The screen sleeps and immediately
>> wakes to show the desktop. Win 10 21H1 Any ideas?
>
> From your description, I think it _might_ the the following, but I
> could be misinterpreting you.
>
> It sounds to me as though sleep and hibernate aren't turned off,
> because if they were I don't think the screen would go dark.
>
> Instead, some device could be immediately waking your system. I
> believe Event Viewer will tell you which device. Then you can go into
> Device Manager and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"
> on the Power Management tab of properties.
>
> (Despite the word "device" in the settings, it's really device+port.
> For example, I had set my wireless mouse not to wake the computer,
> but when moved its dongle to a different USB port the computer
> thought it was a different device, and I had to set _that_ "device"
> not to wake the computer.)

powercfg /?

See if "lastwake" or similar, reports the over-anxious waking agent.
On my system, that would be my mouse, which would make
the bomb squad proud. A NIC with waking set to "Wake On Carrier"
will also do that for you.

Paul