All extremists should be taken out and shot.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows 10 clipboard

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 10 clipboardStan Brown
+* Re: Windows 10 clipboardPhilip Herlihy
|`* Re: Windows 10 clipboardJ. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardStan Brown
|  +* Re: Windows 10 clipboardJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|  |+* Re: Windows 10 clipboarddavid c
|  ||`* Re: Windows 10 clipboardKen Blake
|  || `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardStan Brown
|  ||  `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardKen Blake
|  ||   `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardStan Brown
|  ||    `- Re: Windows 10 clipboardKen Blake
|  |`- Re: Windows 10 clipboardDanS
|  `- Re: Windows 10 clipboardwasbit
+- Re: Windows 10 clipboardPaul
+* Re: Windows 10 clipboardknuttle
|+* Re: Windows 10 clipboardknuttle
||`- Re: Windows 10 clipboardStan Brown
|`- Re: Windows 10 clipboardKen Blake
+* Re: Windows 10 clipboardPeter Johnson
|`* Re: Windows 10 clipboardStan Brown
| `- Re: Windows 10 clipboardPaul
`* Re: Windows 10 clipboardVanguardLH
 +* Re: Windows 10 clipboardHerbert Kleebauer
 |`- Re: Windows 10 clipboardVanguardLH
 `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardStan Brown
  `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardVanguardLH
   `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardKenW
    `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardVanguardLH
     `* Re: Windows 10 clipboardKenW
      `- Re: Windows 10 clipboardVanguardLH

Pages:12
Windows 10 clipboard

<MPG.3ce272298304a31498ff25@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62315&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62315

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows 10 clipboard
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 01:35:30 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 9 May 2022 08:35 UTC

I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.

1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?

2. This article
<https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-
clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>
dated Feb 2021 talks about a "paste as plain text" function in he
clipboard. I don't have that, and the clipboard window doesn't even
respond to a right-click. Did Microsoft just remove this feature?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<MPG.3ce2f7c8af514e979899ea@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62316&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62316

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows 10 clipboard
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 11:05:36 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:05 UTC

In article <MPG.3ce272298304a31498ff25@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
wrote...

> I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>
> 1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
> lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
> Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?
>
> 2. This article
> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>
> dated Feb 2021 talks about a "paste as plain text" function in he
> clipboard. I don't have that, and the clipboard window doesn't even
> respond to a right-click. Did Microsoft just remove this feature?

I can't say I've ever noticed that option. I just checked, and it doesn't
appear (Version 21H2) in the three-dot menu on each item. Of course, some
applications can provide paste options - most notably Excel, which will allow
you to add or subtract the contents of the (most recent) item in the buffer
from the contents of a selected cell. But that's not what you're asking about!

Clipboard history is a small feature, but one I constantly find invaluable.

--

Phil, London

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<t5apt6$58k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62317&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62317

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 06:20:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:20 UTC

On 5/9/2022 4:35 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>
> 1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
> lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
> Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?
>
> 2. This article
> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-
> clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>
> dated Feb 2021 talks about a "paste as plain text" function in he
> clipboard. I don't have that, and the clipboard window doesn't even
> respond to a right-click. Did Microsoft just remove this feature?

This is what I see on W11.

https://i.postimg.cc/mrn5Dnk8/W11-clipboard-history.gif

Clicking the dots, causes extra squares to appear to the right.

The "Paste as plain text" worked if I copied the image in the
Bleepingcomputer web page. It looked at first, like I had
copied an image. Doing a plain control-V paste into Wordpad,
yielded a copy of the image placed into Wordpad.

If I went back to Clipboard History, and used the dots and
the square for "Paste as plain text", then right after
that, a control-V paste resulted in the URL of the picture
being pasted instead.

That suggests the clipboard entry contained multiple elements,
and the function was successfully able to find a text-only
element for me.

But the function does not hint at what the clipboard buffer
might contain, in terms of variants. That was my problem
at first, in that I was copying stuff, but there didn't
appear to be distinctive text-only to be had.

It would be strange, if the W10 version was only "half-finished"
and had been left without the dots in the upper right of
the main item view. But of course Notepad on W11, makes
a lie of that, and it's quite possible for the versions
to be divergent (and one to be terrible compared to the other).

*******

As for the position, on W11, if you grab it at the top, you
can actually move the dialog out of the way.

However, as soon as it is dismissed, it will appear in the
default location on the next invocation. It's not like it
remembers where you put it. But to answer your request, yes,
I was able to move it so I could see underneath. It would
not take much to dismiss it though, so it's a mostly
transient window.

*******

To disable Clipboard History, you have to go to Settings Wheel
to find the Off button for it.

This feature appears to be "finished" on W11. I can't really
start a VM running here and verify W10, because my VirtualBox
is acting up. That's why I only half-answered using W11.

Paul

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<t5as3k$r6n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62318&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62318

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 06:57:55 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:57 UTC

On 5/9/2022 4:35 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>
> 1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
> lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
> Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?
>
> 2. This article
> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-
> clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>
> dated Feb 2021 talks about a "paste as plain text" function in he
> clipboard. I don't have that, and the clipboard window doesn't even
> respond to a right-click. Did Microsoft just remove this feature?

This is new to me.

I was playing with it and while the paste function is not obvious.

Place the cursor where you want the time to be pasted. and then click
the item in the history list. This placed the item where you placed
the cursor

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<t5as71$rj9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62319&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62319

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 06:59:44 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:59 UTC

On 5/9/2022 6:57 AM, knuttle wrote:

> On 5/9/2022 4:35 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>> I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>>
>> 1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
>> lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
>> Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?
>>
>> 2. This article
>> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-
>> clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>
>> dated Feb 2021 talks about a "paste as plain text" function in he
>> clipboard. I don't have that, and the clipboard window doesn't even
>> respond to a right-click. Did Microsoft just remove this feature?
>>
> This is new to me.
>
> I was playing with it and while the paste function is not obvious.
>
> Place the cursor where you want the time to be pasted. and then click
> the item in the history list.   This placed the item where you placed
> the cursor
When you place the cursor where you want to paste the information from
the clipboard the history opens near the cursor in the same window.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<BSXADjeJYSeiFwjI@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62337&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62337

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:32:41 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 9 May 2022 14:32 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 11:05:36, Philip Herlihy
<PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote (my responses usually
FOLLOW):
>In article <MPG.3ce272298304a31498ff25@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
>wrote...
[]
>> 2. This article
>>
>><https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-clipboard-h
>>istory-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>
>> dated Feb 2021 talks about a "paste as plain text" function in he
>> clipboard. I don't have that, and the clipboard window doesn't even
>> respond to a right-click. Did Microsoft just remove this feature?
>
>I can't say I've ever noticed that option. I just checked, and it doesn't
>appear (Version 21H2) in the three-dot menu on each item. Of course, some
>applications can provide paste options - most notably Excel, which will allow
>you to add or subtract the contents of the (most recent) item in the buffer
>from the contents of a selected cell. But that's not what you're asking about!

Are there softwares that allow pasting as _other_ than plain text, that
_don't_ have a paste-as-plain as an option?

>Clipboard history is a small feature, but one I constantly find invaluable.

It'd be nice to have (I'm on 7; I've tried third-party alternatives, but
none works well).

Related: people might find the "Auto Copy" add-on for the Chrome browser
useful (it copies anything you highlight to the clipboard [briefly
telling you it has done so]); it may seem a very small thing, but I find
it very useful, and miss it when I don't have it for some reason!

Questions you cannot answer are usually far better for you than answers you
cannot question. - Yuval Noah Harari

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<ehai7hd836i7slnu91cgskv3eqo30vbqfn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62338&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62338

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 07:51:53 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 9 May 2022 14:51 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 06:57:55 -0400, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 5/9/2022 4:35 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>> I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>>
>> 1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
>> lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
>> Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?
>>
>> 2. This article
>> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-
>> clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>
>> dated Feb 2021 talks about a "paste as plain text" function in he
>> clipboard. I don't have that, and the clipboard window doesn't even
>> respond to a right-click. Did Microsoft just remove this feature?
>>
>This is new to me.
>
>I was playing with it and while the paste function is not obvious.
>
>Place the cursor where you want the time to be pasted. and then click
>the item in the history list. This placed the item where you placed
>the cursor

This looks like a very useful feature, but it's one that's new to me.
Thanks very much for posting it.

It also works in Window 11, which is what I'm using.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<poei7h92ir10ro870lgcn57aq6f1fo90ma@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62346&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62346

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 17:10:38 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:10 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 01:35:30 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>
>1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
>lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
>Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?

Select it with the mouse and drag it to where you want it.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<MPG.3ce3330d2ddf8c5498ff26@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62359&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62359

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:18:26 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 9 May 2022 22:18 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 06:59:44 -0400, knuttle wrote:
> When you place the cursor where you want to paste the information from
> the clipboard the history opens near the cursor in the same window.

Thanks, Keith. I was doing it the other way, bringing up the window
and then using Ctrl+V to paste into the window where I wanted to
insert it. When I click first into the window where I insert it,
_then_ press Winkey+V, it works for me as you described.

I still wonder why Microsoft removed "Paste as plain text" and a
couple of other features described in articles from 2018 and 2019.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<MPG.3ce333a88082987798ff27@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62360&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62360

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:20:57 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 9 May 2022 22:20 UTC

On Mon, 09 May 2022 17:10:38 +0100, Peter Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 9 May 2022 01:35:30 -0700, Stan Brown
> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> >I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
> >
> >1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
> >lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
> >Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?
> >
> Select it with the mouse and drag it to where you want it.

Did you try that, and does it actually work for you. If so, can you
explain your procedure to "select it with the mouse"?

No matter were i click, except on the 3 dots within each entry, there
is no change on screen. Click and drag doesn't work.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<MPG.3ce3342d8aedd57c98ff28@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62361&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62361

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:23:18 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 9 May 2022 22:23 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 15:32:41 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> It'd be nice to have (I'm on 7; I've tried third-party alternatives, but
> none works well).

Clipdiary worked well for me in Windows 7, it had a few quirks in
Windows 8, and it was unusable in Windows 10.

I installed it in Windows 7 years ago, when it was free. Now, if I
recall correctly, it costs money.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<oEPqGlhoAbeiFw3J@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62363&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62363

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 01:22:00 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 10 May 2022 00:22 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 15:23:18, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Mon, 9 May 2022 15:32:41 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> It'd be nice to have (I'm on 7; I've tried third-party alternatives, but
>> none works well).
>
>Clipdiary worked well for me in Windows 7, it had a few quirks in
>Windows 8, and it was unusable in Windows 10.
>
>I installed it in Windows 7 years ago, when it was free. Now, if I
>recall correctly, it costs money.

Thanks for the tip; according to http://clipdiary.com/clipdiary-free/,
its free for private use. Just looking into it now.

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I
have one. -Cato the Elder, statesman, soldier, and writer (234-149 BCE)

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<t5cthk$ed6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62374&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62374

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 01:34:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 10 May 2022 05:34 UTC

On 5/9/2022 6:20 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2022 17:10:38 +0100, Peter Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 9 May 2022 01:35:30 -0700, Stan Brown
>> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>>> I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>>>
>>> 1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
>>> lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
>>> Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?
>>>
>> Select it with the mouse and drag it to where you want it.
>
> Did you try that, and does it actually work for you. If so, can you
> explain your procedure to "select it with the mouse"?
>
> No matter were i click, except on the 3 dots within each entry, there
> is no change on screen. Click and drag doesn't work.

On Win11, grabbing it by the top bar worked. There is a "mark" at the
top, presumably offered as a hint of drag-ability in W11.

+------------------------+
| --- |
| |

We can't say "Title Bar" because there isn't a title there. Just a
mark up near the top, indicating you can drag. In Win11.

*******

I fired up the Win10, enabled Clipboard History, and it's
entirely different. The Win10 version is "Mark I" and is
missing these functions. The Win11 version is "Mark II".

The Win10 doesn't really need the three balls, considering the
lack of functions. The Win10 one is a very basic clipboard recorder.

The Win10 does not have a grab bar on top.

You're holding it correctly. It's not a "holding it wrong" problem.
It just doesn't have the extra trinkets inside. A third party
could undoubtedly do a better job.

Paul

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<1ngm9ltjw8soy$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62378&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62378

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 01:40:08 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 10 May 2022 06:40 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>
> 1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
> lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
> Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?

Say I have Notepad open, and hit Win+V to bring up the clipboard
history. It can't cover up anything I'm working on, because as soon as
I click anywhere (other than in the popup clipboard history window), the
popup clipboard history window disappears. Even if you could move that
window, as soon as you click elsewhere that window disappears. You
can't have it stay onscreen.

Also, the popup window appears at different places. That is, Win+V
doesn't always have it popup in the lower right corner. I've had it
popup halfway across the taskbar. When I hightlight some text in a
document, the popup window opens next to the highlighted text.

I'm using Windows 10 Home x64 21H2.
> 2. This article
> <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-
> clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>

Get an error of page not found.

Oh, I see you inserted a carriage return in the URL. When I pasted the
2nd half onto the 1st half, the URL worked.

> dated Feb 2021 talks about a "paste as plain text" function in he
> clipboard. I don't have that, and the clipboard window doesn't even
> respond to a right-click. Did Microsoft just remove this feature?

According to the article, Ctrl+Shift+V does a plain-text copy, but only
on the current item in the clipboard history, not when selecting a
different entry in the clipboard history list. It says a new feature is
coming out, but it is only for Dev Channel (Insiders) release channel.
Are you on the Insiders release channel?

I wasn't going to wait around until Microsoft decided to provide a
decent clip manager. Even Win+V sucks. I use a 3rd party clip manager
(ClipMate) where I can select type of a clip to paste. However, I also
use the PureText utility to paste just the text version of a clip.

https://stevemiller.net/puretext/

Because Windows 10's Win+V got used to bring up Windows' clip manager, I
had to change from Win+V for PureText to using Shif+Ctrl+V (or any key
combo not in common use). It is easier for me to hit Shift+Ctrl+V to
paste the text version of a clip (it can be saved in multiple formats)
than to bring up Clipmate, select the clip, and then pick the format for
a paste operation. PureText makes a cow bell "tink" when it pastes the
text version of a clip, but you can disable its audio notification.

Until you subscribe to the Insiders channel to get those releases (to be
an even worse treated beta tester than Home users are subjected) to get
the experimental features, and because Microsoft's clip manager is
barely usable, I'd suggest moving to a much better clip manager (the
good ones are not free), or see if PureText meets your needs for now.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<t5d5cr$1lio$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62380&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62380

From: kle...@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 09:48:43 +0200
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Tue, 10 May 2022 07:48 UTC

On 10.05.2022 08:40, VanguardLH wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> I've activated the Windows 10 clipboard history. I'm running 21H1.
>>
>> 1. When I press (Windows key)+V, the clipboard history pops up at the
>> lower right of my screen. Sometimes that covers what I'm working on.
>> Is there any way to move it, or control where it pops up?
>
> Say I have Notepad open, and hit Win+V to bring up the clipboard
> history. It can't cover up anything I'm working on, because as soon as
> I click anywhere (other than in the popup clipboard history window), the
> popup clipboard history window disappears. Even if you could move that
> window, as soon as you click elsewhere that window disappears. You
> can't have it stay onscreen.

I don't understand the problem. You use <CRTL>-C to copy something to
the clipboard and then you move the cursor to the point you want to
insert it and press <CTRL>-V. The only difference for <WIN>-C is, that
not the last copied part is inserted, but you can select which part
in the clipboard is inserted. But it is inserted at exactly the same
position as it would be inserted by pressing <CTRL>-V.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<t5d837$kcu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62381&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62381

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 09:34:46 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 10 May 2022 08:34 UTC

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 May 2022 15:32:41 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> It'd be nice to have (I'm on 7; I've tried third-party alternatives, but
>> none works well).
>
> Clipdiary worked well for me in Windows 7, it had a few quirks in
> Windows 8, and it was unusable in Windows 10.
>
> I installed it in Windows 7 years ago, when it was free. Now, if I
> recall correctly, it costs money.

As already reported Clipdiary is free for personal use
- http://clipdiary.com/register.php#free

Get Plain Text & Clear Clipboard are both freeware
- http://clipdiary.com/getplaintext/
- http://clipdiary.com/clear-clipboard/

All have portable versions.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<t5e1m9$lfo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62391&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62391

From: dave61...@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 15:51:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Tue, 10 May 2022 15:51 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 01:22:00 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 15:23:18, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>On Mon, 9 May 2022 15:32:41 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> It'd be nice to have (I'm on 7; I've tried third-party alternatives,
>>> but none works well).
>>
>>Clipdiary worked well for me in Windows 7, it had a few quirks in
>>Windows 8, and it was unusable in Windows 10.
>>
>>I installed it in Windows 7 years ago, when it was free. Now, if I
>>recall correctly, it costs money.
>>
> Thanks for the tip; according to http://clipdiary.com/clipdiary-free/,
> its free for private use. Just looking into it now.

A quick search claimed 25 clipboard managers for windows. Quicker to use
a search engine rather than a newsgroup.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<bi3l7h1o0ddpjn0n00ditb0h12m5mlp7qg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62394&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62394

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 09:10:56 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:10 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 15:51:37 -0000 (UTC), david c
<dave61430@nowhere.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 May 2022 01:22:00 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 15:23:18, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
>> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>>
>>>Clipdiary worked well for me in Windows 7, it had a few quirks in
>>>Windows 8, and it was unusable in Windows 10.
>>>
>>>I installed it in Windows 7 years ago, when it was free. Now, if I
>>>recall correctly, it costs money.
>>>
>> Thanks for the tip; according to http://clipdiary.com/clipdiary-free/,
>> its free for private use. Just looking into it now.
>
>A quick search claimed 25 clipboard managers for windows. Quicker to use
>a search engine rather than a newsgroup.

I just installed the free Clipdiary. It seems like a good choice and
I'll probably keep it.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<MPG.3ce42ed2d59b4e5c98ff2a@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62395&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62395

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 09:12:38 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:12 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 01:40:08 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> Stan Brown wrote:
> > 2. This article
> > <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-
> > clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/>
>
> Get an error of page not found.
> Oh, I see you inserted a carriage return in the URL. When I pasted the
> 2nd half onto the 1st half, the URL worked.

FSVO "you". I think Gravity breaks on hyphens. Let's see what happens
when I repost it as a quoted line:

> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-clipboard-history-now-lets-you-paste-as-plain-text/
> Are you on the Insiders release channel?

No; I want to keep the amount of debugging I do for Microsoft to the
minimum possible.

> I wasn't going to wait around until Microsoft decided to provide a
> decent clip manager. Even Win+V sucks. I use a 3rd party clip manager
> (ClipMate) where I can select type of a clip to paste. However, I also
> use the PureText utility to paste just the text version of a clip.

I used ClipMate years ago, but there was some problem when I got my
Windows 7 computer so I ended up going with Clipdiary. (That was fine
for Win 7, adequate for Win 8, but not usable in Win 10.) But I think
you're right that I should get a clipboard program rather that put up
with Win+V's limitations.

My must-haves, in no particular order, are:
*Store multiple clips (which rules out PureText as sole solution)
*User-configurable hotkeys to select next or previous clip without
opening the program's window
*Ditto to paste as copied or in plain text
*Unicode copy/paste works
*Simple way to delete all clips permanently

> https://stevemiller.net/puretext/

I've spent a few minutes with that website. Unfortunately there
doesn't seem to be any organized documentation, so I can't check
whether my requirements are met. It looks like no work has been done
on ClipMate since 2015 or the website, which is disconcerting for a
$35 purchase, especially since I'd never use the vast majority of
features. And the site is ... quirky. (Try clicking on the [7.5.26]
link on the home page, for one example, or About » Newsletter and try
to look at past newsletters. Then there are the 404 errors on
internal links. Most disconcerting, the Knowledgebase link gets a
server error (HTTP 500), so trying to search is dead in the water.
And there's the fact that it's HTTP, not HTTPS.)

But I did find a free trial download, and I think it's worth trying
it out, so I'll do that.

> Because Windows 10's Win+V got used to bring up Windows' clip manager, I
> had to change from Win+V for PureText to using Shif+Ctrl+V (or any key
> combo not in common use).

Can't you just disable the Windows clipboard? Hmm .. no, I tried
that, and I see that Windows still traps the Win+V combination.

> It is easier for me to hit Shift+Ctrl+V to
> paste the text version of a clip (it can be saved in multiple formats)
> than to bring up Clipmate, select the clip, and then pick the format for
> a paste operation.

Are you saying that's the only way to paste pure text just using
ClipMate, that a second program is required? That would be pretty
annoying.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<XnsAE937F77EF1Bthisnthatroadrunnern@216.166.97.131>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62397&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62397

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
From: t.h.i.s....@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:31:50 -0500
 by: DanS - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:31 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote in

[Top-posted for brevity...]

Only because I saw Windows 10 in the subject...

....Win10 has a 'clipboard history' built into it that holds the last 25 copied items (if they
fit the size restraints).

https://www.howtogeek.com/671222/how-to-enable-and-use-clipboard-history-on-
windows-10/

> On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 15:23:18, Stan Brown
> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote (my responses usually
> FOLLOW):
>>On Mon, 9 May 2022 15:32:41 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John)
>>wrote:
>>> It'd be nice to have (I'm on 7; I've tried third-party
>>> alternatives, but none works well).
>>
>>Clipdiary worked well for me in Windows 7, it had a few
>>quirks in Windows 8, and it was unusable in Windows 10.
>>
>>I installed it in Windows 7 years ago, when it was free.
>>Now, if I recall correctly, it costs money.
>>
> Thanks for the tip; according to
> http://clipdiary.com/clipdiary-free/, its free for private
> use. Just looking into it now.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<1w8vvx084npsc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62400&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62400

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:57:45 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:57 UTC

Herbert Kleebauer wrote:

> I don't understand the problem. You use <CRTL>-C to copy something to
> the clipboard and then you move the cursor to the point you want to
> insert it and press <CTRL>-V. The only difference for <WIN>-C is, that
> not the last copied part is inserted, but you can select which part
> in the clipboard is inserted. But it is inserted at exactly the same
> position as it would be inserted by pressing <CTRL>-V.

Clips can have multiple formats. One clip, for example, could be saved
in text, HTML, and . Even programs with their own clipboard handling
can save clips in their own proprietary formats.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dataxchg/clipboard-formats
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dataxchg/html-clipboard-format

With Windows clipboard, you don't get a choice of which format is used
during a paste operation. There is a small number of auto-conversions
performed by the clipboard manager. Per the first article above, "The
system implicitly converts data between certain clipboard formats: if a
window requests data in a format that is not on the clipboard, the
system converts an available format to the requested format." That
doesn't mean you get pasted a clip in the format you want. Some
programs will offer additional options when you paste, but don't expect
all receiver programs to have such options. That's why, for example,
the clipboard manager that I use (ClipMate) keeps a history of apps and
how they paste into them to help determine what is the most likely clip
format they expect to use.

An example of when the clipboard fails you is when you think you've
copied some text from a web page, but what you paste is not formatted
correctly (as you expect) or the content is different when you paste
that clip into another HTML-capable program. When you copied, you
include the HTML code, and what you copy may be incomplete HTML code
(some tags might've not been included in the copy operation). If you
instead manage to extract the TXT version of the clip, you might end up
with a bunch of HTML tags included in the text for a paste operation.

Clipboarding is NOT just about copying and pasting only text versions of
clips.

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<MPG.3ce4503a2048ea6798ff2d@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62408&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62408

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:35:11 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 10 May 2022 18:35 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 09:10:56 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
> I just installed the free Clipdiary. It seems like a good choice and
> I'll probably keep it.

Earlier this morning, responding to Vanguard, I said I would download
and try ClipMate, although I had some problems with the website and
was concerned about paying $35 for a product that seems to be not
supported (or not well supported).

But following John's and Ken's notes, I downloaded Clipdiary Free. I
had a paid license for Clipdiary, but when I got my Windows 10
computer Clipdiary wouldn't work there. (I no longer recall the
specific issue.) However, I've just installed Clipdiary Free and
tried it out, and it seems to meet my modest needs quite well. Thanks
for the testimonial, Ken!

P.S. In Win 8.1, although I had set the option to open minimized,
Clipdiary opens in a normal window and I have to click the X in upper
right or press the Esc key to minimize it to the system tray. In Win
10, Clipdiary Free opens minimized to the system tray, as set in my
options.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<ntwt8x6q72n$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62410&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62410

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:07:43 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 10 May 2022 19:07 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't going to wait around until Microsoft decided to provide a
>> decent clip manager. Even Win+V sucks. I use a 3rd party clip manager
>> (ClipMate) where I can select type of a clip to paste. However, I also
>> use the PureText utility to paste just the text version of a clip.
>
> I used ClipMate years ago, but there was some problem when I got my
> Windows 7 computer so I ended up going with Clipdiary. (That was fine
> for Win 7, adequate for Win 8, but not usable in Win 10.) But I think
> you're right that I should get a clipboard program rather that put up
> with Win+V's limitations.
>
> My must-haves, in no particular order, are:
> *Store multiple clips (which rules out PureText as sole solution)

PureText only works on the current entry in the clipboard. It is not a
clipboard manager. If you do get a clipboard manager, it will let you
choose which is the current entry from its history. However, with
Clipmate, if I'm digging through its history, I might as well as pick
the format I want to use for pasting for the selected clip.

> *User-configurable hotkeys to select next or previous clip without
> opening the program's window
> *Ditto to paste as copied or in plain text

The point of ClipMate's app history in trying to guess what format of a
clip that a program wants to use during a paste operation. However, you
can use the default system-wide hotkey () which the help says:

Manual Filter
Similar to the "filter outbound clips", but it filters the clipboard
immediately, without the automatic filter being turned on. This will
essentially update the clipboard, removing all formats except for
Plain Text (or Bitmap, if it's a graphic clip, without Text present).

I've never had to use that feature. There is also the "Outbound Clip
Filtering" option which is described as:

When selected, this option prevents non-text formats like RTF and HTML
from reaching the clipboard, causing data to be pasted as pure text.
This has the same effect as the "strip non-text formats", except that
it doesn't actually remove the data from the clip - it just affects
how it is presented to the clipboard.

While it is enabled in my ClipMate, it is in passive mode, and only
Explorer is listed as an exclusion. Passive mode is described as:

Passive filtering requires you to bring ClipMate to the foreground and
then dismiss to the background, and as it loses focus, the clipboard
is updated with the filtered clip.

I haven't used it this way, so my guess is that you load Clipmate, pick
the format on a clip (that has multiple formats), dismiss Clipmate, and
then paste. I doubt it overrides a program that specifies acceptable
paste formats, and that's probably what the App Profile is for in
ClipMate. For example, Notepad is listed in ClipMate's profile as:

Notepad
DataObject: Disabled
One of many OLE formats.
HTML Format: Disabled
HTML Data, usually from an internet browser. Images
included by reference only, not actually part of data.
LOCALE: Disabled.
Useful for identifying the correct code page or character
set to use, with international text.
Ole Private Data: Disabled.
One of many OLE formats.
TEXT: Enabled.
Plain text, with no formatting.
UNICODETEXT: Disabled.
Used to represent data regardless of character set.
May be useful in non-English languages.

For Notepad's profile recorded in Clipmate, only TEXT gets used for a
clip's format for a paste operation. For that app, the profile is
correct, and the text format of a clip gets used when pasting into that
app. I haven't run into the situation where pasting used the wrong
format of a multi-format clip for where I'd have to do the [passive]
override. The Active Filtering option is described as:

Active Filtering updates the clipboard as soon as any new clip
arrives. If you copy HTML from FireFox, for example, ClipMate records
the clip, capturing the various formats (Text, RTF, HTML, etc..) as
directed by the Application Profile. But within 1/2 second, the
clipboard is updated with the plain-text version of the clip. You'll
hear a "whoosh" sound as this happens. Now you can paste as
"plain-text", without having to interact with ClipMate at all.

But I haven't needed to enable that option. It would, however, turn
Clipmate into a text-only clip manager for those that don't want support
of all the formats that a clip may encompass.

> *Unicode copy/paste works

That depends on what the receiver program will accept.

> *Simple way to delete all clips permanently

Just like with Explorer, Notepad, or any MS app, you can use the same
hotkeys to select text or entries, and then delete all the selections.
You could, for example, use Ctrl+A to select all, and then delete all.

As with other apps, where you select is where the action would get
focused. You can have separate folders than the Inbox in Clipmate, like
having archive or grouping folders to store clips. I have "safes" for
several categories of clips. That way, I can find a clip by a topic
easier than having to search through all clips (there is a search
function in Clipmate). If I select all clips in the Inbox folder (the
default input folder when copying) and delete those, the clips in my
safe folders are not touched.

However, Clipmate has its own history cleanup. You can configure a
threshold for when clips get too old. Those get moved into the Overflow
folder (old entries can get moved into the Overflow or Trash folders).
And you can configure an age threshold on the Trash folder, too. This
is a per-folder setting. You can expire based on age or item count in a
folder. For me, I use:

Inbox: Flush to Overflow folder when item count exceeds 200.
Trash: No properties (to set flushing as a folder property).
Flushed when database management is performed which I have it
scheduled to run every 5 days which also backs up Clipmate's database
(I have infrequently encountered corruption, so I have backups to
restore). However, flushed items get moved to the Overflow folder
which gets flushed based on its properties (30 days, for me). I can
also use File -> Database Management -> Empty Trash to manual flush
all entires in the Trash folder.
Overflow: Flush (to trash) for items over 30 days old.

>> https://stevemiller.net/puretext/
>
> I've spent a few minutes with that website. Unfortunately there
> doesn't seem to be any organized documentation, so I can't check
> whether my requirements are met.

Not a clip manager, just a filter on whatever is the current clip. I
did not suggest it as a clip manager (that was for Clipmate). I only
said "paste just the text version of a clip". Perhaps I should've added
"current clip" (the default and actually only one held in the clip
buffer by the Clipboard Service).

Their web page describes what you see when you display the config screen
for PureText. What more do you need? They don't describe the advanced
settings, but those only have to do with handling of the hotkey. In the
program, when you go to advanced settings, all the help is listed there.

There's really not that much to the program that needs help. It is a
simple program to use the Clipboard API to retrieve whatever is the
current clip (there really is only 1 clip in the clipboard buffer, and
histories are separate caches), and output it in text-only format which
only applies if the clip has other non-image formats.

> It looks like no work has been done on ClipMate since 2015 or the
> website,

What changes has Microsoft made to the Clipboard User Service since then
that would require a corresponding fix in ClipMate? If nothing has
changed in the Clipboard API in Windows, programs don't need function
changes or patches. Considering the massive number of features in
Clipmate, I'm not sure what new features they could add. Clipmate is
like using a ladle as a spoon to eat soup. The clip manager in Windows
is like using a 1/4 teaspoon measure as a spoon to eat soup.

Personally I don't like having to PAY for a new version of a program
that adds features that I don't need, and there are already tons of
features in Clipmate that I don't use. A program that has to get
patches often to fix bugs in it means it was and is a buggy program.
More than anything else, I think the massive feature set in Clipmate is
what pushes off many potential customers. They don't want to invest in
another learning curve. Just look at the folks here that didn't even
know about Win+V to show the clip cache in Windows.

You get a 30-day trial of Clipmate (actually trial use might be
indefinite since it's the registration key that uncripples the trial
into a full version). Puretext - NOT a clip manager - is free to use
forever.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Windows 10 clipboard

<45el7hprhi77vp10a4cce6b43a1u95djjf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62411&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62411

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:11:31 -0600
 by: KenW - Tue, 10 May 2022 19:11 UTC

I use Clipboard Fusion

> [...]
>>> Clipmate, select the clip, and then pick the format for a paste
>>> operation.
>>
>> Are you saying that's the only way to paste pure text just using
>> ClipMate, that a second program is required? That would be pretty
>> annoying.
>
>No, I said it is quicker to use PureText than to use Clipmate. You can
>still tell Clipmate to output in plain text, or configure Clipmate so it
>only outputs plain text. I could use the passive mode in Clipmate to do
>the conversion to plain text, I could configure Clipmate to output only
>plain text, or I could just use the hotkey for PureText instead having
>to go into Clipmate (since I do NOT want Clipmate in active mode to
>always output in plain text to every receiver program). Lots of
>choices. I use the easiest and fastest ones from a multitude of

<8tel7h53fhl9781q6gce5mdtk4nc0ff10i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62415&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62415

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 12:24:17 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 10 May 2022 19:24 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 11:35:11 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>On Tue, 10 May 2022 01:22:00 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> Thanks for the tip; according to
>>> http://clipdiary.com/clipdiary-free/,
>>> its free for private use. Just looking into it now.
>

>On Tue, 10 May 2022 09:10:56 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>> I just installed the free Clipdiary. It seems like a good choice and
>> I'll probably keep it.
>
>Earlier this morning, responding to Vanguard, I said I would download
>and try ClipMate, although I had some problems with the website and
>was concerned about paying $35 for a product that seems to be not
>supported (or not well supported).
>
>But following John's and Ken's notes, I downloaded Clipdiary Free. I
>had a paid license for Clipdiary, but when I got my Windows 10
>computer Clipdiary wouldn't work there. (I no longer recall the
>specific issue.) However, I've just installed Clipdiary Free and
>tried it out, and it seems to meet my modest needs quite well. Thanks
>for the testimonial, Ken!

You're most welcome, but let me point out that my experience with it
is still very slight.