How many weeks are there in a light year?

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

SubjectAuthor
* Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
|+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPaul
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbars|b
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPaul
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||`- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
|+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarVanguardLH
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBucky Breeder
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBucky Breeder
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
|||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarVanguardLH
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarMayayana
||| +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarknuttle
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||+- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
|| `* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarJohn Doe
||  `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbaroccam
| +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPiet
| |+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| ||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPiet
| || +- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| || `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
| |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbaroccam
| | `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarThe Horny Goat
`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 | +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 | |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 | | `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 | `* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burns
 |  `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit

Pages:123
Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<icEfK.19156$JSxf.12365@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62529&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62529

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Subject: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:10:21 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 14 May 2022 02:10 UTC

Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".

I consider this "bloat"! How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself.
Thank you for any assistance!

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<SyEfK.5246$x1Wf.863@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62533&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62533

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:34:26 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 14 May 2022 02:34 UTC

On 5/13/2022 10:10 PM, Bill wrote:
> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
> silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
> American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>
> I consider this "bloat"!   How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself. Thank
> you for any assistance!

I found the issue. It's called "search highlights" and it's new.
Below is a link to instructions on how to get rid of it!

https://www.ghacks.net/2022/03/17/how-to-disable-search-highlights-on-windows-10/

I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
"Who's computer is it?"!

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5naug$5lp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62536&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62536

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 00:24:47 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 14 May 2022 04:24 UTC

On 5/13/2022 10:34 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 5/13/2022 10:10 PM, Bill wrote:
>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>
>> I consider this "bloat"!   How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself. Thank you for any assistance!
>
> I found the issue. It's called "search highlights" and it's new.
> Below is a link to instructions on how to get rid of it!
>
> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/03/17/how-to-disable-search-highlights-on-windows-10/
>
> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
> "Who's computer is it?"!

"Windows 10 devices will soon get the new Search highlights
feature that Microsoft introduced in recent Windows 11 Insider builds as well."

They only backport the really important stuff :-/

I think these features are intended to maintain the
muscle tone in your "whack-a-mole" arm.

Paul

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<1tfu0yslrs39z.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62538&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62538

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 23:32:11 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 14 May 2022 04:32 UTC

Bill wrote:

> On 5/13/2022 10:10 PM, Bill wrote:
>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
>> silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
>> American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>
>> I consider this "bloat"!   How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
>> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself. Thank
>> you for any assistance!
>
> I found the issue. It's called "search highlights" and it's new.
> Below is a link to instructions on how to get rid of it!
>
> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/03/17/how-to-disable-search-highlights-on-windows-10/
>
> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
> "Who's computer is it?"!

I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.
You've actually used it?

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<je9j9sFq5ebU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62543&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62543

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 13:49:21 +0200
 by: s|b - Sat, 14 May 2022 11:49 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 00:24:47 -0400, Paul wrote:

> "Windows 10 devices will soon get the new Search highlights
> feature that Microsoft introduced in recent Windows 11 Insider builds as well."

One of the things I quickly disabled in W11 (I think).

--
s|b

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5o6iu$81d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62544&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62544

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 08:16:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 14 May 2022 12:16 UTC

On 5/14/2022 7:49 AM, s|b wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 00:24:47 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>> "Windows 10 devices will soon get the new Search highlights
>> feature that Microsoft introduced in recent Windows 11 Insider builds as well."
>
> One of the things I quickly disabled in W11 (I think).

It's like a subscription to the Puzzle Network.

Paul

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<XnsAE9768CCA42FAOhmmmmmmm@85.12.62.219>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62549&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62549

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: Breeder_...@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out (Bucky Breeder)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 15:18:09 GMT
 by: Bucky Breeder - Sat, 14 May 2022 15:18 UTC

Whineytard Poopy-Pants <V@nguard.LH> posted this:

> Bill wrote:
>
>> On 5/13/2022 10:10 PM, Bill wrote:
>>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
>>> silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
>>> American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>>
>>> I consider this "bloat"!�� How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
>>> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself.
>>> Thank you for any assistance!
>>
>> I found the issue. It's called "search highlights" and it's new.
>> Below is a link to instructions on how to get rid of it!
>>
>> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/03/17/how-to-disable-search-highlights-on-wi
>> ndows-10/
>>
>> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
>> "Who's computer is it?"!

> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.
> You've actually used it?

He obviously has, you feckless asshat.

That's why he posted an article seeking information on how to modify it.

Nobody... *NOBODY* cares about *YOUR* personal experiences... Except maybe
your alter sock puppets.

VanguardLH's official webpage:

<https://tinyurl.com/ytn4mayc>

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;

And *NO*, that is *NOT* a Jedi Light Saber I have in my pocket!

But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy to see you either.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<UbYfK.5376$x1Wf.3965@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62569&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62569

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 20:55:15 -0400
 by: Bill - Sun, 15 May 2022 00:55 UTC

On 5/14/2022 12:32 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> On 5/13/2022 10:10 PM, Bill wrote:
>>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
>>> silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
>>> American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>>
>>> I consider this "bloat"!   How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
>>> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself. Thank
>>> you for any assistance!
>>
>> I found the issue. It's called "search highlights" and it's new.
>> Below is a link to instructions on how to get rid of it!
>>
>> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/03/17/how-to-disable-search-highlights-on-windows-10/
>>
>> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
>> "Who's computer is it?"!
>
> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.
> You've actually used it?

It's a quick way to get to an app on your computer. If I merely enter C,
I see a link to the calculator app, for instance.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<otxhrylbdcuv.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62604&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62604

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 01:03:49 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 16 May 2022 06:03 UTC

Bill wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.
>> You've actually used it?
>
> It's a quick way to get to an app on your computer. If I merely enter C,
> I see a link to the calculator app, for instance.

The same can be done with the Search box hidden but by entering text
when you open the Start menu. That is, the Start Menu also has a search
function. Click on Start in the Taskbar, or use the Winkey alone to
show the Start Menu. As you enter text, Windows shows the most relevant
results. I can enter "c" and select Calculator from the list, or enter
"ca" and Calculator bubbles to the top of the list.

Once I realized searching works from the Start Menu, the searchbox
became superfluous, especially since I didn't want it searching anywhere
than locally. For example, I'm not bothering to wade through the old
Control Panel or those applets, or through the new Settings wizard to
find Windows Updates. I just hit the Winkey, and enter "upd".

I didn't need 2 searchboxes in the Taskbar. Got rid of the Search
toolbar, and just use the Start Menu.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5td0d$t4t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62612&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62612

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 07:36:48 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 16 May 2022 11:36 UTC

"Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote

| It's a quick way to get to an app on your computer. If I merely enter C,
| I see a link to the calculator app, for instance.

Have you considered Clasic Shell or similar? My Win10
start menu is tiny and efficient, just like my XP and Win7
start menus. Though I do most things via quick start icons.
If you need a search to find a program icon/startup there's
something wrong.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5tpe3$2bs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62621&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62621

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 11:08:51 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 16 May 2022 15:08 UTC

On 5/16/2022 7:36 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote
>
> | It's a quick way to get to an app on your computer. If I merely enter C,
> | I see a link to the calculator app, for instance.
>
> Have you considered Clasic Shell or similar? My Win10
> start menu is tiny and efficient, just like my XP and Win7
> start menus. Though I do most things via quick start icons.
> If you need a search to find a program icon/startup there's
> something wrong.

As I remember you can access if you enter the first letter in the name
of an icon ON the desktop, the cursor goes to that icon.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<MPG.3cec1efb22500e0698ff31@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62623&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62623

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:43:07 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 16 May 2022 16:43 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 11:08:51 -0400, knuttle wrote:
> As I remember you can access if you enter the first letter in the name
> of an icon ON the desktop, the cursor goes to that icon.

Correct, and that's also true for any folder in File Explorer.

And for running processes in Task Mangler.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<8uvgK.5750$cQO2.5378@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62624&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62624

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:04:02 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 16 May 2022 17:04 UTC

On 5/16/2022 2:03 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.
>>> You've actually used it?
>>
>> It's a quick way to get to an app on your computer. If I merely enter C,
>> I see a link to the calculator app, for instance.
>
> The same can be done with the Search box hidden but by entering text
> when you open the Start menu.

---Yes, but you just added an extra click to the process. And, yes, I do
have "Classic Shell", but I rarely click the start icon anyway. 99% of
the time or more, what I need is on the "desktop" or the "toolbar". The
calculator by entering C into the Search Field in to the toolbar.

That is, the Start Menu also has a search
> function. Click on Start in the Taskbar, or use the Winkey alone to
> show the Start Menu. As you enter text, Windows shows the most relevant
> results. I can enter "c" and select Calculator from the list, or enter
> "ca" and Calculator bubbles to the top of the list.
>
> Once I realized searching works from the Start Menu, the searchbox
> became superfluous, especially since I didn't want it searching anywhere
> than locally. For example, I'm not bothering to wade through the old
> Control Panel or those applets, or through the new Settings wizard to
> find Windows Updates. I just hit the Winkey, and enter "upd".
>
> I didn't need 2 searchboxes in the Taskbar. Got rid of the Search
> toolbar, and just use the Start Menu.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<MPG.3cec2724e6f60b0998ff33@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62625&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62625

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 10:18:01 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 16 May 2022 17:18 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 13:04:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
> On 5/16/2022 2:03 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> > [quoted text muted]
> >> I see a link to the calculator app, for instance.
> >
> > The same can be done with the Search box hidden but by entering text
> > when you open the Start menu.
>
> ---Yes, but you just added an extra click to the process.

Not necessarily. If you have a Windows logo key, you can just tap
that and begin typing your search.

I'm not sufficiently motivated to dig up statistics, but I believe
that the majority of keyboards in use on Windows machines have that
key. Anyone have hard data off hand?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<r+5KosGIxogiFwVg@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62628&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62628

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 18:39:20 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 16 May 2022 17:39 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 at 10:18:01, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Mon, 16 May 2022 13:04:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
>> On 5/16/2022 2:03 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> > [quoted text muted]
>> >
>> > The same can be done with the Search box hidden but by entering text
>> > when you open the Start menu.
>>
>> ---Yes, but you just added an extra click to the process.
>
>Not necessarily. If you have a Windows logo key, you can just tap
>that and begin typing your search.
>
>I'm not sufficiently motivated to dig up statistics, but I believe
>that the majority of keyboards in use on Windows machines have that
>key. Anyone have hard data off hand?

The Windows key became standard on keyboards - including most laptop
ones - around, I think, Windows 95 (and might have been there for some
under 3.1x). Usually two of them on full-size keyboards, between Ctrl
and Alt, with usually a context ("right-click") key as well on the right
side: Ctrl-Win-Alt-Space-Alt-Win-context-Ctrl (the right Alt is Alt Gr
on UK and some other keyboards); laptops vary.

If you _don't_ have it (o even if you do), you can simulate a single
press of it with Ctrl-Esc, though combinations (like Win-E for Explorer)
don't work with that.

What's awful about weird views is not the views. It's the intolerance. If
someone wants to worship the Duke of Edinburgh or a pineapple, fine. But don't
kill me if I don't agree. - Tim Rice, Radio Times 15-21 October 2011.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<w9wgK.10797$56e6.2578@fx34.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62629&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62629

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:50:18 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 16 May 2022 17:50 UTC

On 5/16/2022 1:18 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2022 13:04:02 -0400, Bill wrote:
>> On 5/16/2022 2:03 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>>> [quoted text muted]
>>>
>>> The same can be done with the Search box hidden but by entering text
>>> when you open the Start menu.
>>
>> ---Yes, but you just added an extra click to the process.
>
> Not necessarily. If you have a Windows logo key, you can just tap
> that and begin typing your search.

Either way, you've added another click to the process. You still need to
click in the text field (before you enter 'c' for example). I'm not so
much interested in equivalent ways to the same thing; one could go on
all day with that..

> I'm not sufficiently motivated to dig up statistics, but I believe
> that the majority of keyboards in use on Windows machines have that
> key. Anyone have hard data off hand?

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<jefka7FcglU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62630&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62630

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:43:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 16 May 2022 18:43 UTC

Bill wrote:

> Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> If you have a Windows logo key, you can just tap
>> that and begin typing your search.
>
> you've added another click to the process. You still need to
> click in the text field (before you enter 'c' for example).

No, after pressing Winkey there is no need to click focus into any particular
field, just start typing regardless.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<gj0v24tusbyz.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62631&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62631

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:46:44 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 16 May 2022 18:46 UTC

Bill wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:

>>> It's a quick way to get to an app on your computer. If I merely
>>> enter C, I see a link to the calculator app, for instance.
>>
>> The same can be done with the Search box hidden but by entering text
>> when you open the Start menu.
>
> ---Yes, but you just added an extra click to the process.

Nope, no extra click.
- Click on the Start Menu button, and enter text.
- Click in the search toolbar, and enter text.
There is no extra click. You have to switch focus to the search toolbar
before you can start entering text into it.

Example: Open Notepad, and start entering some text in it. Now you want
to search. If you just continue entering text, it goes into the Notepad
window, not into the search toolbar. You have to click the search
toolbar before you can enter text there. Click to use the search
toolbar, or click to use the Start Menu. No extra click.

> And, yes, I do have "Classic Shell", but I rarely click the start icon
> anyway.

ClassicShell (abandoned and forked to OpenShell) was Mayanana's
suggestion. I never recommend using a different Windows shell as that
keeps you from becoming practiced with the real one, so you won't be
experienced when using someone else's computer or trying to help them.
You also add its bugs to those already in Windows
(https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/issues).

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5u8a8$11oo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62632&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62632

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:23:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:23 UTC

Paul wrote:

>>> "Windows 10 devices will soon get the new Search highlights
>>> feature that Microsoft introduced in recent Windows 11 Insider builds as well."
>>
>> One of the things I quickly disabled in W11 (I think).
>>

> It's like a subscription to the Puzzle Network.

For the record, long ago, I removed all the 'search' options (including
Cortana icons) from my taskbar. Note that if you ever really need to search
(which, I can't imagine _why_ you would), you can still do it.

Click on the Windows icon & type something and _that_ will "try" to do a
search even without all the icons cluttering up the taskbar.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5u8dd$12s7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62633&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62633

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:24:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:24 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.
> You've actually used it?

VanguardLH and I are of the same thought, which is that there's _never_ a
need for the search icons in the taskbar since they're _never_ needed.

In the off chance that you find the Windows search "useful", it can
_always_ be activated simply by "typing something" after clicking on the
Windows icon in the task bar.

So it's redundant at best, and worthless at worst, IMHO.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5u8hn$14vo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62634&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62634

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:27:10 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:27 UTC

Bill wrote:

> I do have "Classic Shell"

Why?

What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5u8p9$18ol$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62635&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62635

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:31:12 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:31 UTC

Bill wrote:

> Either way, you've added another click to the process.

There are two sides to every coin... where the difference in an adult
conversation is simply that people agree on the facts, first.

After agreeing on the facts (which almost never happens but it should, as
you can _revise_ the facts as needed until you _do_ agree), then (and only
then) we can work on the pros and cons of the two situations.

If I understand your argument, you claim there is an _added click_ if you
remove the search (which I don't disagree with so it's likely a fact).

However, the rest of us who have _removed_ the search icons from the
taskbar did it usually for one or both of two reasons, AFAICT.
1. Removing it gained extra space which is critical for some of us
2. Most of us would never think of using it anyway

In summary, it may be an extra click, but the argument on the other side of
the coin is that you're preserving critical taskbar real estate.

Right?
--
It's only an ancillary argument that there's nothing that the search
actually does which is useful, that I expect others to disagree with.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5u8uf$1aqu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62636&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62636

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:33:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:33 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> No, after pressing Winkey there is no need to click focus into any particular
> field, just start typing regardless.

Hi Andy,
I suspect "Bill" is "micky", but even so, I think his argument is that
clicking on the search icon is one less step.

I don't even have a search icon so I don't recall the number of steps.
I _presume_ you click on search (that's one step) and then you type.

As I understand your argument (and mine) it's that you click on the Windows
key (which is one step) and then you type.

If those facts are correct (we can hone them if they're not), then it's the
same number of steps, as far as I can tell. Right?

The _advantage_ of removing the search icon is that it preserves valuable
real estate on the taskbar, which is half of why I removed it long ago.

The other "thing" about the search is I've never found a use for it.
Have you?

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5u98j$1ffq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62637&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62637

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:39:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:39 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Nope, no extra click.
> - Click on the Start Menu button, and enter text.
> - Click in the search toolbar, and enter text.
> There is no extra click. You have to switch focus to the search toolbar
> before you can start entering text into it.

Thanks for confirming that fact (which this micky, um, er, I mean Bill
needs to confirm as I can't since I no longer have a search icon either).

If it's the same number of steps, then what is the value to the search icon
taking up real estate on the taskbar?

As an aside, have you _ever_ found that Windows search to be useful?
I haven't but I'll listen to an answer to _that_ question from others.

BTW, I have the same question with Classic Shell.
If people are using it to gain cascade menus, do they realize they are
still there (and that they never left Windows in the first place?).
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjjVXkq5/taskbarmenu07.jpg>

I copied my Windows XP menu folder to Windows 10 and it worked.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5u9bu$1gus$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62638&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62638

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:41:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:41 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> Have you considered Clasic Shell or similar?

What does Classic Shell do for most people?

Isn't _that_ functionality already in Windows 10?
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjjVXkq5/taskbarmenu07.jpg>

I never understood why people use Classic Shell to get a cascade menu when
you can just create a cascade menu and pin it to the taskbar.

In fact, I _copied_ my menu from WinXP to Windows 10,
and it worked (why would it not work?).