Spock: The odds of surviving another attack are 13562190123 to 1, Captain.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: asrock?

SubjectAuthor
* asrock?T
+* Re: asrock?Rene Lamontagne
|+* Re: asrock?T
||`* Re: asrock?Rene Lamontagne
|| `* Re: asrock?T
||  `* Re: asrock?T
||   +- Re: asrock?Rene Lamontagne
||   `* Re: asrock?Paul
||    `* Re: asrock?T
||     +- Re: asrock?Paul
||     `- Re: asrock?Rene Lamontagne
|`- Re: asrock?Ken Blake
+- Re: asrock?DMP
+* Re: asrock?s|b
|`* Re: asrock?T
| +* Re: asrock?Paul
| |`* Re: asrock?T
| | `* Re: asrock?Paul
| |  `* Re: asrock?Char Jackson
| |   `* Re: asrock?Ken Blake
| |    `* Re: asrock?Paul
| |     +- Re: asrock?...winston
| |     +- Re: asrock?Chris
| |     `* Re: asrock?T
| |      `- Re: asrock?Paul
| `* Re: asrock?s|b
|  `- Re: asrock?T
`- Re: asrock?Ant

Pages:12
Re: asrock?

<t5ll0i$rc6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62495&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62495

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: asrock?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:04:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 13 May 2022 13:04 UTC

On 5/13/2022 4:59 AM, T wrote:
> On 5/11/22 13:08, Paul wrote:
>> RAID has a purpose. In a corporate environment.
>>
>> The justification in a home environment, isn't there.
>
> I use RSTe RAID 1 on small business computers that
> can not afford the downtime.
>
> I like it where they use a dedicated workstation as
> their file server.  I do that a lot.  Windows Server
> are such s***.
>
> The main problem I have with RSTe RAID 1 is that
> I threaten them to every morning check the RSTe icon
> in the notification area for a green check mark.
> Only one one customer actually does.  The rest just
> ignore it and call me when all three drives (hot
> spare) drop out.  I have to go into RSTe bios
> and re-enable the drives and rebuild them.  But
> it works and take about an hour and they are back up.
>
> They also SELDOM check their backup reports. They
> consider them to be spam.  Giving the hell over it
> only works for a few weeks.
>

> I have never attempted RSTe RAID 1 with dual NVMe
> drives.  The newer mother boards now have two NVMe
> slots.   On the other hand, two slots make cloning
> a lot easier.
>
> I am not getting clear information on RSTe RAID 1
> and NVMe drives from anywhere.

For RAID 0 and RAID 1, the Emperor has no clothes.

An example of an arch, would be to look at the
ARECA RAID cards. The ones with 16 or 24 SATA ports
and an IOP onboard. Plus, a DRAM buffer of considerable
size, that helps swing good performance.

There's no room to hide all that stuff inside
a chipset particularly.

The Host Processor is just as good for orchestrating
the task as anything else (it has plenty of DRAM for
buffering). And that means this will remain a Software RAID.
A Software RAID Intel could write, or Microsoft could write.

*******

Why not check whether ARECA has a full featured
quad sled card ? OK, HighPoint has something.
You'd need to see some benches, to see if this
is worthwhile. A bench involving small files.

https://www.amazon.ca/Highpoint-SSD7101A-1-Dedicated-32Gbps-Controller/dp/B073W71K4Z?th=1

"Supports Single Drives & RAID 0, 1, 5, 1/0" <=== Suspicious...

Some of the advertising materials, here.

https://www.highpoint-tech.com/ssd/ssd710x-overview

https://www.highpoint-tech.com/ssd7000-series-overview

"SSD7101A-1 x16 4x M.2 Single, 0, 1, 10 n/a Yes Yes"

So already, you can see a disagreement between the Amazon
entry, and the HighPoint entry. RAID 5 is missing (maybe the
chip spin, the XOR unit didn't work? Dunno) .

This is why you'd check a site like ARECA, as they're
more likely to have the two adverts, match :-)

So if you want to do RAID 1 or RAID 10 (four drives worth),
you can.

Since one of the products claims to be "bootable",
that means I could fit that into my older machine
and do single drive JBOD with it. It won't appear
to the system as an NVMe, and it's possible the
Windows 10/11 "Optimize" dialog would be "confused"
by the existence of such hardware. To be bootable,
all it has to do is present an INT 0x13 register-able
routine in config space. Then you can run MSDOS on it :-)

*******

There's no reason for the chipset to do this. Especially
as Slot 1 uses a CPU bus, and Slot 2 uses the PCH bus.
The terminations aren't even on the same chip.

Paul

Re: asrock?

<je9j7kFq5ebU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62542&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62542

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 13:48:09 +0200
 by: s|b - Sat, 14 May 2022 11:48 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 12:38:07 -0700, T wrote:

> > have you asked in alt.comp.hardware and/or
> > alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt? They seem dead, but there are still
> > people lurking.

> I asked here because I know all they guys and trust them.

According to that logic you could also ask about changing a diaper in
this newsgroup. I'm sure some of the guys have experience with that. <g>

--
s|b

Re: asrock?

<t5sjqm$soa$1@dont-email.me>