The linuX Files -- The Source is Out There. -- Sent in by Craig S. Bell, goat@aracnet.com

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

SubjectAuthor
* Google wants your info, and wants it badlyWolffan
+- Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyAndy Burns
+- Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyBig Al
+- Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyVanguardLH
+- Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyBucky Breeder
`* Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlySaranSDS008
 +* Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyAndy Burns
 |`* Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyCharlie+
 | `* Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyBob F
 |  +* Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyCharlie+
 |  |`* Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyAndy Burns
 |  | `- Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyCharlie+
 |  `- Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyBob F
 `- Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badlyVanguardLH

1
Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<0001HW.27D22A01011DA0D370000427A38F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60097&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60097

Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 06:05:37 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Subject: Google wants your info, and wants it badly
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.computer.workshop, alt.windows7.general
 by: Wolffan - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 11:05 UTC

A little note seen elsewhere:

begin imported text:
_____________
On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in
technology

gmail address redacted

To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
usingSign in with Google (link with gmail address redacted)or other more
secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.Learn more (link with gmail address
redacted)What do you need to do?

An iOS or macOS device has less secure access to your account info like
email, calendars, and contacts. To keep using your Google Account on that
device:

Remove your Google Account in your device’s settings
Sign in again usingSign in with Google, or select Google as the account type

If that doesn’t work, you may need to update your device’s operating
system.
___________
end imported text

Apparently Apple Mail (on macOS and iOS) and MS Outlook (macOS, iOS, and
Windows) and Thunderbird (macOS and Windows) are ‘less secure’ and will
be depreciated as of 30 May. Google really, really, REALLY wants users to log
in using ‘login with Google and a Google mail app or the gmail web app.
It’s for your security! Really! The Big G is only thinking of how best to
serve its users! Really! And anyone who believes this should also believe
that I’ve got some land for sale in Florida. Only one or two ‘gators, and
a bridge which used to be in New York. And cheap, too.

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<j8eampF3m9fU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60098&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60098

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 11:15:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 11:15 UTC

Wolffan wrote:
> Apparently Apple Mail (on macOS and iOS) and MS Outlook (macOS, iOS, and > Windows) and Thunderbird (macOS and Windows) are ‘less secure’ and will> be
depreciated as of 30 May
Simples ... switch to oAuth2.

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<svt4sv$7od$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60100&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60100

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 08:40:45 -0500
 by: Big Al - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 13:40 UTC

On 3/4/22 06:05, this is what Wolffan wrote:
> A little note seen elsewhere:
>
> begin imported text:
> _____________
> On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in
> technology
>
> gmail address redacted
>
> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
> third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
> using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
> usingSign in with Google (link with gmail address redacted)or other more
> secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.Learn more (link with gmail address
> redacted)What do you need to do?
>
> An iOS or macOS device has less secure access to your account info like
> email, calendars, and contacts. To keep using your Google Account on that
> device:
>
> Remove your Google Account in your device’s settings
> Sign in again usingSign in with Google, or select Google as the account type
>
> If that doesn’t work, you may need to update your device’s operating
> system.
> ___________
> end imported text
>
> Apparently Apple Mail (on macOS and iOS) and MS Outlook (macOS, iOS, and
> Windows) and Thunderbird (macOS and Windows) are ‘less secure’ and will
> be depreciated as of 30 May. Google really, really, REALLY wants users to log
> in using ‘login with Google and a Google mail app or the gmail web app.
> It’s for your security! Really! The Big G is only thinking of how best to
> serve its users! Really! And anyone who believes this should also believe
> that I’ve got some land for sale in Florida. Only one or two ‘gators, and
> a bridge which used to be in New York. And cheap, too.

And Google isn't asking for more info, just OAuth2 which they feel is a more secure password method.

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<111g6l50rvsm3$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60103&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60103

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 09:06:17 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:06 UTC

Wolffan wrote:

> A little note seen elsewhere:

No mention where you saw the "note". I got an e-mail sent from Google.

> begin imported text:
> _____________
> On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in
> technology
>
> gmail address redacted
>
> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
> third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
> using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
> usingSign in with Google (link with gmail address redacted)or other more
> secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.Learn more (link with gmail address
> redacted)What do you need to do?

The email followed with:

Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access
to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any
other e-mail software where you can sign in using "Sign in with
Google".

> An iOS or macOS device has less secure access to your account info like
> email, calendars, and contacts. To keep using your Google Account on that
> device:
>
> Remove your Google Account in your device’s settings
> Sign in again usingSign in with Google, or select Google as the account type
>
> If that doesn’t work, you may need to update your device’s operating
> system.

There is no mention of Apple, iOS, macOS, or any of the above in
Google's e-mailed message. Looks like the "note" you found has the
author add to Google's e-mail.

> ___________
> end imported text
>
> Apparently Apple Mail (on macOS and iOS) and MS Outlook (macOS, iOS, and
> Windows) and Thunderbird (macOS and Windows) are ‘less secure’ and will
> be depreciated as of 30 May. Google really, really, REALLY wants users to log
> in using ‘login with Google and a Google mail app or the gmail web app.
> It’s for your security! Really! The Big G is only thinking of how best to
> serve its users! Really! And anyone who believes this should also believe
> that I’ve got some land for sale in Florida. Only one or two ‘gators, and
> a bridge which used to be in New York. And cheap, too.

I got the same e-mail from Google. No change for me since my
e-mail/calendar/contacts/tasks clients support OAUTH2. Fortunately I
don't use anything Apple.

You are still using an e-mail/calendar/task/contacts app or program that
doesn't support OAUTH2? OAUTH1 was a protocol. Google fucked it up to
turn OAUTH2 into a framework. The "security" feature afforded is to
assign a unique OAUTH2 token to each host, so Google can track which of
your hosts is connecting to their service. Oh, they claim it adds
security by allowing users to monitor which host is accessing the user's
Google account, but that's with Google tracking your hosts to know which
ones you granted access to your Google account. OAUTH2 is security
theater. When Google fucked up OAUTH1 to create OAUTH2, the original
author of OAUTH1, Eran Hammer, left the development group. See:

https://vimeo.com/52882780
You won't find this video ever hosted at Google's Youtube.

If your client does not yet support OAUTH2, you can generate an app
specific password.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

If you don't like grafting your phone to your computer, you'll have to
enable 2-step verification to generate the app password, and then
afterward disable the 2-step verification nuisance crap.

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<XnsAE506A8FB4F53Ohmmmmmmm@85.12.62.254>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60107&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60107

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
From: Breeder_...@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out (Bucky Breeder)
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 16:28:31 GMT
 by: Bucky Breeder - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 16:28 UTC

Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> posted this :

> A little note seen elsewhere:
>
> begin imported text:
> _____________
> On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure
> sign-in technology
>
> gmail address redacted
>
> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use
> of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
> Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to
> sign in usingSign in with Google (link with gmail address redacted)or
> other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.Learn more (link with
> gmail address redacted)What do you need to do?
>
> An iOS or macOS device has less secure access to your account info like
> email, calendars, and contacts. To keep using your Google Account on
> that device:
>
> Remove your Google Account in your device’s settings
> Sign in again usingSign in with Google, or select Google as the account
> type
>
> If that doesn’t work, you may need to update your device’s operating
> system.
> ___________
> end imported text
>
> Apparently Apple Mail (on macOS and iOS) and MS Outlook (macOS, iOS, and
> Windows) and Thunderbird (macOS and Windows) are ‘less secure’ and
> will be depreciated as of 30 May. Google really, really, REALLY wants
> users to log in using ‘login with Google and a Google mail app or the
> gmail web app. It’s for your security! Really! The Big G is only
> thinking of how best to serve its users! Really! And anyone who believes
> this should also believe that I’ve got some land for sale in Florida.
> Only one or two ‘gators, and a bridge which used to be in New York.
> And cheap, too.

Google is evil...

But, they are still letting me automatically sign into my accounts with
Thunderbird - with no hiccups whatsoever.

--

"To survive the frontier, you must learn to recognize those who won't and
be weary of their doomed decisions. They are to be avoided at all costs,
in this place." -- Elsa Dutton, Episode 10, February 27, 2022

Notice how USA Democrats want to give Ukraine $20B in emergency aid BUT
they tie an additional $25B in "COVID funding" to the bill? Bear in mind
that "COVID funding" translates into "Bailouts for targeted traditionally
Democrat controlled states and cities who have incompetently, corruptly,
and consistently mismanaged their budgets for decades."

Hope this helps. (Puerto Rico, New York, California, Detroit, Chicago,
Washington, D.C., BLM, NAACP, DNC, and yer mama.)

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<t02520$u25$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60152&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60152

From: abhijit....@gmail.com (SaranSDS008)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:44:02 +0530
 by: SaranSDS008 - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 11:14 UTC

"Wolffan" wrote in message

[...]

I also got the same alert tbh. I use Windows Live Mail 2012 as my main, and
that would stop working as well with GMail. Google Really sucks. I'm looking
soon for an alt Email Service that I could rely on.
Saran SDS 008

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<j8k3qlF6ubbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60163&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60163

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:55:00 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:55 UTC

SaranSDS008 wrote:

> I use Windows Live Mail 2012 as my main, and that
> would stop working as well with GMail.

Enable 2FA on your google account

create an "app password" for WLM within

<https://myaccount.google.com/security>

tell WLM to use that password, and carry on

why is everyone panicking over this?

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<szs84syzuimd$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60164&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60164

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 09:57:28 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:57 UTC

SaranSDS008 wrote:

> I also got the same alert tbh. I use Windows Live Mail 2012 as my
> main, and that would stop working as well with GMail. Google Really
> sucks. I'm looking soon for an alt Email Service that I could rely
> on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mail#Version_2012_(Wave_5)
Windows Essentials 2012, including Windows Live Mail 2012, reached end
of support on 10 January 2017, and is no longer available for download
from Microsoft; ...

You could get a better e-mail client that does support OAUTH2, like
Thunderbird that supports OAUTH2, and there's a newsgroup to get help on
it. I use eM Client (supports up to 2 accounts with free edition), and
that supports OAUTH2, too, and has a forum to get peer help on the free
edition. This thread is cross-posted to the Windows 10 newsgroup, so if
you have Windows 10+ you can use the included Mail program. Some folks
like the BlueMail client.

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<cqcb2hhjvpuv9gue16crifejsqjjb6250a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60211&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60211

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 07:36:37 +0000
 by: Charlie+ - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 07:36 UTC

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:55:00 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote as underneath :

>why is everyone panicking over this?

Because nobody can guarantee that the APP password trick will continue
working, on my reading of my Google message, probably it wont from May
onwards but there is no actual referance to app passwords so - unclear..
C+

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<t1e50r$ug7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60926&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60926

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 20:43:24 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 03:43 UTC

On 3/6/2022 11:36 PM, Charlie+ wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:55:00 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote as underneath :
>

>> why is everyone panicking over this?
>
> Because nobody can guarantee that the APP password trick will continue
> working, on my reading of my Google message, probably it wont from May
> onwards but there is no actual referance to app passwords so - unclear..
> C+

I still have not gotten the "app password" to work even once in K-9 on
my S9 android 10 phone.

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<4ghl3h1m3eqvqdb0i14kkdp79l8c1tdnvs@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60934&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60934

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 07:14:42 +0000
 by: Charlie+ - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 07:14 UTC

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 20:43:24 -0700, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote as
underneath :

>On 3/6/2022 11:36 PM, Charlie+ wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:55:00 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>> wrote as underneath :
>>

>>> why is everyone panicking over this?
>>
>> Because nobody can guarantee that the APP password trick will continue
>> working, on my reading of my Google message, probably it wont from May
>> onwards but there is no actual referance to app passwords so - unclear..
>> C+
>
>I still have not gotten the "app password" to work even once in K-9 on
>my S9 android 10 phone.

Sorry Bob I was unclear, the 'trick' I was talking about was to turn 2F
on to set up an app password then switch 2F off again... With 2F left on
for a computer I would expect app password to continue to work after
May. I dont know about phones, never set my phone's data on! C+

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<ja07leFe5u3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60936&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60936

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:30:22 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:30 UTC

Charlie+ wrote:

> I was unclear, the 'trick' I was talking about was to turn 2F
> on to set up an app password then switch 2F off again...

For me, as soon as I disabled 2FA on the google account, the app password was
deleted and K9 immediately stopped authenticating to gmail POP3.

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<4h8o3h5k1494n6v4nnsbtuf8t2ectt3les@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60986&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#60986

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 07:53:50 +0000
 by: Charlie+ - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 07:53 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:30:22 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote as underneath :

>Charlie+ wrote:
>
>> I was unclear, the 'trick' I was talking about was to turn 2F
>> on to set up an app password then switch 2F off again...
>
>For me, as soon as I disabled 2FA on the google account, the app password was
>deleted and K9 immediately stopped authenticating to gmail POP3.

Ah Andy Interesting.. Ralf Fox posted that he had done that ages ago and
it contined to login ok. Google changes things, mostly for the worse! C+

Re: Google wants your info, and wants it badly

<t5sn6e$f0d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62603&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62603

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 22:24:30 -0700
 by: Bob F - Mon, 16 May 2022 05:24 UTC

On 3/22/2022 8:43 PM, Bob F wrote:
> On 3/6/2022 11:36 PM, Charlie+ wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:55:00 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>> wrote as underneath :
>>

>>> why is everyone panicking over this?
>>
>> Because nobody can guarantee that the APP password trick will continue
>> working, on my reading of my Google message, probably it wont from May
>> onwards but there is no actual referance to app passwords so - unclear..
>> C+
>
> I still have not gotten the "app password" to work even once in K-9 on
> my S9 android 10 phone.

I finally spent some more time on it, and the app password does work on
K-9. When you create the password, make the name for the device describe
the K9, and the account name to help in future changes.