[A computer is] like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityGronk
+* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityPaul
|`* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityGronk
| `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityPaul
|   `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityGronk
|    +* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityAndy Burns
|    |`* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityGronk
|    | `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityBill
|    |  `- Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityRonTheGuy
|    +- Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityPaul
|    `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivitymicky
|     `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivitymechanic
|      `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity...winston
|       `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivitymechanic
|        `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivitymicky
|         `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityPaul
|          `- Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivitymicky
+- Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivitywasbit
+* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivitymicky
|`* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityPaul
| `* Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityBill
|  `- Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivitymicky
`- Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivityZaidy036

1
Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t5umms$g5p5$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62644&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62644

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 17:28:51 -0600
 by: Gronk - Mon, 16 May 2022 23:28 UTC

What's the setting to turn off the PC completely after a period of time of
inactivity?

I can only find the sleep settings for the computer and the power settings
for the monitor.

But my PC doesn't wake up from sleep more often than not.
And I'm not worried about the monitor since it goes off on its own anyway.

Where is the setting to shut the computer down after a period of non use?

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t5v025$fr7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62646&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62646

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 22:08:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 17 May 2022 02:08 UTC

On 5/16/2022 7:28 PM, Gronk wrote:
> What's the setting to turn off the PC completely after a period of time of
> inactivity?
>
> I can only find the sleep settings for the computer and the power settings
> for the monitor.
>
> But my PC doesn't wake up from sleep more often than not.
> And I'm not worried about the monitor since it goes off on its own anyway.
>
> Where is the setting to shut the computer down after a period of non use?

S0 Running
S3 Sleep - recovery mostly instantaneous (warm driver start needed)

Hybrid sleep - has hibernation file (hiberfil.sys)
- hiberfil.sys used if power fails, resume process same as S4
- if the power does not fail (or machine crash), is as fast as Sleep.

S4 Hibernation - reloads session from hiberfil.sys
- only a small portion of hiberfil.sys is used on any session capture

*******

cd / # workdir root of C:
dir /ah # check for existence of "hiberfil.sys"

Mine doesn't have one right now. I need to do:

powercfg /h on

This creates a hiberfil.sys of around 40-50% of memory.
On tablets with little storage, this is wasteful.

dir /ah # check for existence of "hiberfil.sys"

Now I look in Control Panels, Power Options, System Settings.

Needs a reboot, in order for power strategies to align in the panels.

Details here, at least a bit of it.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/DyTnxPc6/hibernate.gif

Unless it's something you want to do (record TV with a tuner card),
Wake Timers can go off. As otherwise, Windows Update might be
waking the machine at some freakish hour. This would not be so bad,
if the machine would go back to sleep/hibernate.

Paul

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t5vd0r$ha9t$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62648&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62648

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 23:49:39 -0600
 by: Gronk - Tue, 17 May 2022 05:49 UTC

Paul wrote:

>> Where is the setting to shut the computer down after a period of non use?
>
> S0 Running
> S3 Sleep - recovery mostly instantaneous (warm driver start needed)
>
> Hybrid sleep - has hibernation file (hiberfil.sys)
> - hiberfil.sys used if power fails, resume process same as S4
> - if the power does not fail (or machine crash), is as fast as Sleep.
>
> S4 Hibernation - reloads session from hiberfil.sys
> - only a small portion of hiberfil.sys is used on any session capture

I am confused since I think the above settings are only about sleep.

Why do I need a hiberfile.sys if the PC is to shut down after an hour of
inactivity instead of sleep after an hour of inactivity?

> cd / # workdir root of C:
> dir /ah # check for existence of "hiberfil.sys"
>
> Mine doesn't have one right now.
C:\>dir /ah
Volume in drive C is gronk
Volume Serial Number is 0945-8421

Directory of C:\

02/17/2021 04:46 PM <DIR> $RECYCLE.BIN
03/19/2021 12:32 AM <DIR> $SysReset
05/11/2022 10:58 AM <DIR> $WinREAgent
12/19/2021 07:03 PM 8,192 DumpStack.log
05/16/2022 11:32 PM 8,192 DumpStack.log.tmp
05/16/2022 11:32 PM 12,882,804,736 pagefile.sys
04/30/2022 07:04 PM <DIR> ProgramData
03/13/2022 06:34 AM <DIR> Recovery
05/16/2022 11:32 PM 268,435,456 swapfile.sys
05/16/2022 01:11 PM <DIR> System Volume Information
4 File(s) 13,151,256,576 bytes
6 Dir(s) 95,436,173,312 bytes free

> I need to do:
>
> powercfg /h on
>
> This creates a hiberfil.sys of around 40-50% of memory.

I am confused since I don't want to ever put the PC into sleep.
I want the PC to shut down as if I hit the Shut Down menu.

> On tablets with little storage, this is wasteful.
>
> dir /ah # check for existence of "hiberfil.sys"
>
> Now I look in Control Panels, Power Options, System Settings.
>
> Needs a reboot, in order for power strategies to align in the panels.
>
> Details here, at least a bit of it.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/DyTnxPc6/hibernate.gif

Mine looks similar to that https://postimg.cc/MXdCTRNf in that there is no
option I can find to shut down after a time period of inactivity instead of
going to sleep.

> Unless it's something you want to do (record TV with a tuner card),
> Wake Timers can go off. As otherwise, Windows Update might be
> waking the machine at some freakish hour. This would not be so bad,
> if the machine would go back to sleep/hibernate.

All I want is an option to shut the computer down (not sleep it) after a
given period of inactivity (probably a half hour or no more than an hour).

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<jegsujF7ilbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62649&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62649

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 07:16:50 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:16 UTC

Gronk wrote:

> I am confused since I think the above settings are only about sleep.

Well, sleep, or hibernate are your only choices, since microsoft didn't think
"turn off and crash everything" was a good option ...

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t5vfqf$15a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62652&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62652

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:37:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:37 UTC

On 5/17/2022 2:16 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Gronk wrote:
>
>> I am confused since I think the above settings are only about sleep.
>
> Well, sleep, or hibernate are your only choices, since microsoft didn't think "turn off and crash everything" was a good option ...

Outright killing a session, without saving open files and so on,
that would be naughty. So that's S5.

S4 (Hibernate) preserves the session. The user is not cursing and swearing now.

S3 (Sleep) preserves the session. The user is not cursing and swearing now.

Microsoft wins friends, by not ruining desktop works of art that
haven't been saved yet.

I assume Hibernate (a power sipping option, around 0.5W on good equipment),
was as good a state as any. Hibernate only does gobs of writes in
exceptional circumstances. Doing a chip simulation in VHDL, might be
an example where a hiberfile would be so big, it would exceed the
size provided. Normal sessions are small and easily compressed,
resulting in few writes and fast restores.

So you're right, I didn't even notice S5 was missing. My bad :-)

Paul

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t5vh0h$hgpr$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62656&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62656

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 00:57:45 -0600
 by: Gronk - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:57 UTC

Paul wrote:

> Outright killing a session, without saving open files and so on,
> that would be naughty. So that's S5.

It would be naughty for the PC to just die as if the power suddently went
down on a desktop PC (which this is) without a UPS connected to it.

But Microsoft already has a graphical graceful shut down manual switch.

Leftclick on the taskbar "Windows" icon -> leftclick on the "Power" icon ->
lefclick on the "Shut down" icon

or

Rightclick on the taskbar "Windows" icon -> leftclick on the "Shut down or
sign out" icon -> lefclick on the "Shut down" icon

Either way, the popup explanation for the "Shut down" icon is "Closes all
apps and turns off the PC" which isn't naughty at all.

Does S5 do that "not naughty" graceful "Closes all apps and turns off the
PC" process?

Because if S5 does shut down the PC as gracefully as does that "Shut down"
icon, that's what I want to happen after a set period of inactivity.

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<jeh03qF875eU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62657&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62657

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:10:48 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 17 May 2022 07:10 UTC

Gronk wrote:
> the popup explanation for the "Shut down" icon is "Closes all
> apps and turns off the PC" which isn't naughty at all.

The tricky bit is what do do with apps that have unsaved changes? You might or
might not want to overwrite the version on disk ... as Paul says it would just
lead to unhappy microsoft customers so they're not going to do it.

You could possible cobble something together using Task Scheduler to call
"shutdown /s /f" with a trigger of "on idle" and a delay of one hour and
something else to kill previously scheduled shutdowns, but I bet you'll lose
work one time and end-up unhappy ...

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t5vjc8$nht$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62659&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62659

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 03:37:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 17 May 2022 07:37 UTC

On 5/17/2022 2:57 AM, Gronk wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Outright killing a session, without saving open files and so on,
>> that would be naughty. So that's S5.
>
> It would be naughty for the PC to just die as if the power suddently went
> down on a desktop PC (which this is) without a UPS connected to it.
>
> But Microsoft already has a graphical graceful shut down manual switch.
>
> Leftclick on the taskbar "Windows" icon -> leftclick on the "Power" icon ->
> lefclick on the "Shut down" icon
>
> or
>
> Rightclick on the taskbar "Windows" icon -> leftclick on the "Shut down or
> sign out" icon -> lefclick on the "Shut down" icon
>
> Either way, the popup explanation for the "Shut down" icon is "Closes all
> apps and turns off the PC" which isn't naughty at all.
>
> Does S5 do that "not naughty" graceful "Closes all apps and turns off the
> PC" process?
>
> Because if S5 does shut down the PC as gracefully as does that "Shut down"
> icon, that's what I want to happen after a set period of inactivity.

But if you'd just written the Great Novel in Word,
turned your back for an hour and Word closed without
saving your work, you'd be pissed.

The provided options are work conserving. If you did
not save the Great Novel, it'll be there later.

And S4 Hibernate should be pretty good on power.

As for your crashing symptoms at recovery, there's multiple
possible reasons for that. You can try some RAM testing.
To thoroughly test RAM, you can try two DIMMs in single
channel mode, while testing. Then swap the High and the Low
DIMM and repeat the test. This provides better coverage
of memory locations.

There's a version 6 here now, and it recognizes a Zen 3.
This version also runs the tests at a steadier speed, as
there seemed to be a bug with running Zen 3 with the older
testers.

https://memtest.org/

Paul

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t5vlsg$hqfc$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62660&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62660

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:20:56 -0600
 by: Gronk - Tue, 17 May 2022 08:20 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> The tricky bit is what do do with apps that have unsaved changes? You might or
> might not want to overwrite the version on disk ... as Paul says it would just
> lead to unhappy microsoft customers so they're not going to do it.

I just want to call the existing shut down menu after inactivity.

If there is one process holding up that existing shutdown menu, that blue
screen will stay there forever saying so and nothing will be lost.

Nothing would be shut down either though but at least when there isn't
anything holding it up, it would shut down most of the time after the
inactivity period.

It's the same thing Microsoft does manually today, only done automatically.
Do you see anything wrong with that?

> You could possible cobble something together using Task Scheduler to call
> "shutdown /s /f" with a trigger of "on idle" and a delay of one hour and

That shutdown command line command sure has a lot of options.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/shutdown
https://www.4winkey.com/windows-10/shutdown-command-windows-10.html
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/22/how-to-use-the-windows-shutdown-command/
Maybe one of them is to NOT shut down if something is still holding it up?

Now that I know why I couldn't find the power settings to shut down
gracefully I will begin to think of how to cobble something together.

> something else to kill previously scheduled shutdowns,

Why would there be leftover previously scheduled shutdowns?

> but I bet you'll lose work one time and end-up unhappy

I thank you for the advice.

I think it won't lose anything if it does what the existing shutdown menu
already does which is wait forever in the case of something holding it up.

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t5vqha$94o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62669&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62669

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:39:47 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:39 UTC

"Gronk" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> What's the setting to turn off the PC completely after a period of time of
> inactivity?
>
> I can only find the sleep settings for the computer and the power settings
> for the monitor.
>
> But my PC doesn't wake up from sleep more often than not.
> And I'm not worried about the monitor since it goes off on its own anyway.
>
> Where is the setting to shut the computer down after a period of non use?

Lots of Freeware to shutdown the PC but mostly by schedule. Period of
inactivity seems to be the sticking point.

Auto Shutdown Free says it has an "option to shutdown the computer if
idling".
- https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/auto_shutdown_free.html

I'll post a separate list but I suspect they will mainly be the
timer/schedule variety.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<9lKgK.9944$dLI5.8164@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62672&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62672

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 05:58:29 -0400
 by: Bill - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:58 UTC

On 5/17/2022 4:20 AM, Gronk wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> The tricky bit is what do do with apps that have unsaved changes? You
>> might or might not want to overwrite the version on disk ... as Paul
>> says it would just lead to unhappy microsoft customers so they're not
>> going to do it.
>
> I just want to call the existing shut down menu after inactivity.
>
> If there is one process holding up that existing shutdown menu, that blue
> screen will stay there forever saying so and nothing will be lost.
>
> Nothing would be shut down either though but at least when there isn't
> anything holding it up, it would shut down most of the time after the
> inactivity period.
>
> It's the same thing Microsoft does manually today, only done automatically.
> Do you see anything wrong with that?
>
>> You could possible cobble something together using Task Scheduler to
>> call "shutdown /s /f"  with a trigger of "on idle" and a delay of one
>> hour and
>
> That shutdown command line command sure has a lot of options.
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/shutdown
>
> https://www.4winkey.com/windows-10/shutdown-command-windows-10.html
> https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/22/how-to-use-the-windows-shutdown-command/
>
> Maybe one of them is to NOT shut down if something is still holding it up?
>
> Now that I know why I couldn't find the power settings to shut down
> gracefully I will begin to think of how to cobble something together.
>
>> something else to kill previously scheduled shutdowns,
>
> Why would there be leftover previously scheduled shutdowns?
>
>> but I bet you'll lose work one time and end-up unhappy
>
> I thank you for the advice.
>
> I think it won't lose anything if it does what the existing shutdown menu
> already does which is wait forever in the case of something holding it up.

If you are any sort of programmer, you can write an app which will
shutdown your systems after a given amount of time. It would basically
just a be "timer". You could just start the app when you are ready for a
break, and even enter the number of minutes to wait before shutting
down. And if you come back to your computer before it shuts down, you
just close the app. C and C++ permit you to run "shell" commands (see
the function "system").

Here is an example (If you need help, Joel is probably the guy to help
you with this):
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/system-call-in-c/

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<17z8b4xr02c0m$.dlg@news.solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62673&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62673

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:10:00 -0800
 by: RonTheGuy - Tue, 17 May 2022 10:10 UTC

On May 17, 2022, Bill wrote
(in article<news:9lKgK.9944$dLI5.8164@fx48.iad>):

> Here is an example (If you need help, Joel is probably the guy to help
> you with this):
> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/system-call-in-c/

Those shutdown apps may have already been written as this is on the local
freeware newsgroup from wasbit.

Shutdown/Close/Hibernate/Suspend

Use Scheduled Task in Windows
Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools
XP & Vista = Scheduled Tasks
W7 = Task Scheduler

List may be out of date.

@Kill - http://www.aswit.com/akill/
AbortShutdown - http://www.coruscant.co.uk/Products/index.htm
Active Exit (log off user) - http://www.winability.com/active-exit/
Active Shutdown - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ashutdown.html
Actual shutdown (CLi) - http://www.loonies.narod.ru/products.htm
AF1 Shutdown - http://www.fauland.com/products.htm
Airytec Switch Off - http://www.airytec.com/en/switch-off/
AutoClose - https://autoclose.net/download.html
Auto Exit (Shut down,log off,reboot) -
http://www.asoft.be/prod_autoexit.html
AutoOff - http://www.starcodec.com/en/autooff/
Auto Power Off (schedule) - http://sites.google.com/site/baliganikhil2/
Auto Reboot(uptime monitor) - http://www.summitcn.com/download.html#7
Auto Shutdown (1) - http://users.belgacom.net/rgs/index.htm
AutoShutdown (2) - http://paradiseprogramming.tripod.com/
Auto Shutdown (3) - http://www.falcoware.com/AutoShutDown.php
Auto Shutdown Timer - http://www.lullsoft.com/

BootSnooze (reboot into hybernate/standby) -
http://skwire.dcmembers.com/wb/pages/software.php
Brutus - http://www.proffs.nu/brutus.htm

Carbon Control Software HE (save energy) - http://ccspress.blogspot.co.uk/
Catfood NoSleep (CLi) - http://catfood.net/products/nosleep/
Chameleon Shutdown - http://www.chameleon-managers.com
Close - http://vuks.vdsworld.com/
Close All (taskbar) -
http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/close-all.html
Close All Windows - http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/close-all.html
Close App - http://noeld.com/updates.asp
Close Many - http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html
Closing Time - http://leeos.tripod.com/index-14.html
CloseToQuit - http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html
CloseWin -
http://www.freewaregenius.com/closewin-instantly-close-all-open-windows/

Daxtar's Shutdown Timer - http://sourceforge.net/projects/daxshutdown/
Delayed Shutdown - http://www.styopkin.com/delayed_shutdown.html
DirectShutdown -
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Launchers-Shutdown-Tools/DirectShutdown.shtml
DownTime - http://softdyn.ucoz.org/index/0-8
DownTimer - http://indeepsoft.blogspot.co.uk/p/downtimer.html
DShutdown - http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

Enditall - http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm
ExitWin (hpnf) -
http://www.softlow.com/windows/utilities/network/free/exitwin.html
Exit Windows (restart) - http://www.easydesksoftware.com/down.htm

Force Down -
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Launchers-Shutdown-Tools/HSLAB-Force-Down-Lite.shtml
Force Shutdown - http://www.vag-lab.com/blog/page/3/
Free Shutdown Timer -
http://www.sofonica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=54

GoneIn60s (recover closed apps) -
http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html

Halt.exe - http://www.st-ware.com/page.php?30
Hibernate Switch - http://www.vag-lab.com/blog/page/2/
Hyper Shutdown - www.hypersolutions.in

Karen's Showstopper - http://www.karenware.com
Kill (window with focus) -
http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html
Killer - http://www.spacetornado.com
Kill Win - http://www.bk-soft.com/killwin.htm
KillWin - http://www.quantrix.net/
- http://members.optusnet.com.au/quantrixnet/products/killwin.htm

Lan Shutdown - http://lantricks.com/download/
Last Chance (before shutdown) - http://www.fileware.com/products.htm
Lomsel Shutdown - http://www.lomsel.net/en/lomsel-shutdown-2/

Mz Shutdown Scheduler - http://www.mztweak.com/products.html
Nagblast -
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/NagBlast.shtml

NoPing Shutdown - http://www.emco.is/noping/npfeatures.html
NtPower (shut via network) - http://www.santsys.com/software

PauseProcess - http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html
PcSleep - http://www.pc-sleep.com/
PowerDown -
http://www.scovetta.com/archives/simtelnet/win95/deskmisc/page-2
Powerlink (Shutdown/Restart/Hibernate) -
http://www.sdsoftware.org/default.asp?id=7042
Power Management Utilities (hibernate/suspend) -
http://officeone.mvps.org/download/power_mgmt.html
Power Off - http://users.telenet.be/jbosman/applications.html
Poweroff - http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Quick ShutDown - http://www.winutility.com/qsd/

Reboot - http://www.securitysoftware.cc/securitysoftware/apps.html
RemoteShutdown - http://www.coruscant.co.uk/Products/index.htm
RemShutdown - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/remshutdown.html
Restart (reboot into dif OS) - http://www.gabrieleponti.com/index.html
Restart Computer (+ schedule shutdown/log off) -
http://freelabs.info/restartcomp.aspx
Restart Later - http://www.lujosoft.net/sitemap.html

Shutdown (2) - http://www.lujosoft.net/_content/_utilities/Shutdown3.html
Shutdown (3) - http://www.ericphelps.com/index.htm
Shutdown (4) - http://www.securitysoftware.cc/securitysoftware/apps.html
Shutdown8 (XP - 10) - http://www.bandicam.com/shutdown8/
Shutdown After - http://www.vcsoftwares.com/
Shutdown Centre - http://software.bootblock.co.uk/
Shutdown Control (Jul 08) - http://leelusoft.blogspot.com/
Shutdowner - http://www.eskiso.net/shutdowner.htm
Shutdown Guard (prevent shutdown) - http://code.google.com/p/shutdownguard/
Shutdown Monster - http://sourceforge.net/projects/shutdown/
Shutdown Programmer - http://www.vag-lab.com/blog/page/3/
Shutdown Scheduler (not Vista/W7) -
http://www.dnsoft.be/dn_software/dn_freeware/
Shutdown Suite - http://www.mystercrowley.com/software_system.php
Shutdown Timer - http://www.mcrenox.com.ar/downloads/
ShutdownUnless -
https://sites.google.com/a/obxcompguy.com/foolish-it/vb6-projects/shutdownunless-2
ShutDownWin - http://falcosoft.tk/softwares.html#desktopmovie
Shutdown XP faster -
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windowsxp/articles/243/1/
Shutdownz - http://conetek.com/
Shutter - http://www.den4b.com/
Simple Shutdown Timer - http://www.pcwintech.com/tools
Slawdog Smart Shutdown - http://www.slawdog.com/downloads/
Sleepy Timer - http://ziin.pl/en/sleepy_timer
Smart Close (all open apps) - http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/
SM Timer - http://www.smartturnoff.com/smlooka/
Sshutdown - http://eng.softq.org/sshutdown.htm
Stray (Shutdown/restart/switch user/log off/lock/sleep/hibernate) -
http://skwire.dcmembers.com/fp/?page=stray
SuperF4 (task) - http://code.google.com/p/superf4/
Super Fast Shutdown - http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html
Suspend Tool - http://falcosoft.tk/softwares.html#desktopmovie
Switch Off - http://www.airytec.com/en/switch-off/

Task Force Quit - http://softorino.com/products/
Task Killer - http://www.rsdsoft.com/task_killer/index.php4
Timed Shutdown (schedule) - http://tinnes.org.uk/
Time To Go - http://timetogoappi.deviantart.com/
Toff - http://www.dennisbabkin.com/php/m_download.php
Turn Off Timer - http://www.utilitynerd.com/software/turnofftimer.html

Ultra Shutdown - http://www.sofonesia.com/
Unpowerit Now (turn Off/logOff/reboot/suspend/hibernate) -
http://www.dwebplace.com/tools.htm
User Profile Hive Cleanup tool
-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

Win8Shutdown - http://www.tgmdev.be/win8shutdown.php
Windie - http://www.rovatronic.net/
Win Exit - http://www.hushpage.com/WinExit/winexit.html
Winmend Auto Shutdown - http://www.winmend.com/auto-shutdown/
WinOff - http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/WinOFF.php
Wise Auto Shutdown - http://www.wisecleaner.com/wiseautoshutdownfree.html

XP Shutdown Event Tracker - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293814

Zzz (schedule) - http://www.sumitbirla.com/software/

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t4l78hdao2ht4rmr7najkl9hbd3b5i5a5o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62694&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62694

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 20:07:38 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 17 May 2022 17:07 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 16 May 2022 17:28:51 -0600, Gronk
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>What's the setting to turn off the PC completely after a period of time of
>inactivity?
>
>I can only find the sleep settings for the computer and the power settings
>for the monitor.
>
>But my PC doesn't wake up from sleep more often than not.

Have you tried the space bar? Or that doesn't work, the power button?
Or the space bar. They seems to work when right click doesn't.

>And I'm not worried about the monitor since it goes off on its own anyway.
>
>Where is the setting to shut the computer down after a period of non use?

???

Hibernating is a really good thing. Very useful. I'm not sure
"implemented" is not the default, but I recommend implementing it.

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<tnl78hdu95g4k374f2o1o3k9kgvtqhc8k7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62695&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62695

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 20:13:49 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 17 May 2022 17:13 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 17 May 2022 00:57:45 -0600, Gronk
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>
>> Outright killing a session, without saving open files and so on,
>> that would be naughty. So that's S5.
>
>It would be naughty for the PC to just die as if the power suddently went
>down on a desktop PC (which this is) without a UPS connected to it.
>
>But Microsoft already has a graphical graceful shut down manual switch.
>
>Leftclick on the taskbar "Windows" icon -> leftclick on the "Power" icon ->
>lefclick on the "Shut down" icon

Havent' you noticed that that doesn't always shut things down. It gives
you the choice of cancelling the shutdown, so you can go find the
programs that don't want to close, usually because they're asking
whether to save the changes to a file or to cancel the changes,
something windows can't know unless you tell it. OR of shutting own
anyhow, which I'm sure doesn't save any unsaved files, so you could have
written a chapter of your novel and lose it all.

So this method doesn't do what you want all the time.

>or
>
>Rightclick on the taskbar "Windows" icon -> leftclick on the "Shut down or
>sign out" icon -> lefclick on the "Shut down" icon

I'm sure this has the same problem.

>Either way, the popup explanation for the "Shut down" icon is "Closes all
>apps and turns off the PC" which isn't naughty at all.

That's a *popup* explanation. It's not the whole story.

>Does S5 do that "not naughty" graceful "Closes all apps and turns off the
>PC" process?
>
>Because if S5 does shut down the PC as gracefully as does that "Shut down"
>icon, that's what I want to happen after a set period of inactivity.

No you don't.

No offense meant but how long have you had a windows computer?

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t6135j$qj1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62697&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62697

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 17:13:22 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Tue, 17 May 2022 21:13 UTC

On 5/16/2022 7:28 PM, Gronk wrote:
> What's the setting to turn off the PC completely after a period of time of
> inactivity?
>
> I can only find the sleep settings for the computer and the power settings
> for the monitor.
>
> But my PC doesn't wake up from sleep more often than not.
> And I'm not worried about the monitor since it goes off on its own anyway.
>
> Where is the setting to shut the computer down after a period of non use?

If you want to save any unsaved work so it is not lost during an
automatic close one can write a batch to be triggered by SchedTasks to
do the work but it must include a "button pusher" like PTFBpro or
another such program. Sections of the batch must be used to handle every
open program that requires a save before closing like Excel, Word,
Quicken, etc. For some actions there are MS commands to help thru
Settings and NirSoft has commands that can be used to power off monitors.

As an example the following batch section will save and close all open
Excel windows: (I assume one could write an Excel macro to do the same)

:: Check if Excel running
TASKLIST | FIND "EXCEL" > NUL || GOTO CheckWord
:: Check if Excel is Open without a Workbook Open
TASKLIST /FI "WINDOWTITLE EQ Excel" | Find "EXCEL.EXE" > NUL &&
(TASKKILL /IM "EXCEL.EXE" /F > NUL & GOTO CheckWord)
:: Save and Close one Workbook
%PTFB% /WAIT 2182 004D
:: above PTFBpro clicks <Alt> then <2>(Save)then <1> Close
TIMEOUT 1 > NUL
GOTO CheckExcelRun

:CheckWord

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t61qrr$4q4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62708&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62708

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 23:57:47 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 18 May 2022 03:57 UTC

On 5/17/2022 1:07 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 16 May 2022 17:28:51 -0600, Gronk
> <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> What's the setting to turn off the PC completely after a period of time of
>> inactivity?
>>
>> I can only find the sleep settings for the computer and the power settings
>> for the monitor.
>>
>> But my PC doesn't wake up from sleep more often than not.
>
> Have you tried the space bar? Or that doesn't work, the power button?
> Or the space bar. They seems to work when right click doesn't.

The Power Button should *always* work, because at BIOS level
it presents as an ACPI Object. If a S3 Sleeping computer
cannot be raised by the Power Button, then something has crashed
or lost context (the storage bits in the PCH that represent
the shutdown state, are screwed up).

In Sleep, the session is stored (minimally) in at least the
RAM sticks. The RAM sticks are in AutoRefresh state. That means
the sticks, internally, visit the matrix of DRAM cells and
do a refresh at the required interval. The operating voltage
may be dropped as well. Power for the RAM sticks during
sleep, comes from the +5VSB rail. That's a rail in the PSU,
where no fan is running to cool that portion
of circuitry.

Modern memory sticks are approx. 1 watt a piece. It will be
interesting to see how DDR5 (onboard regulators) manages DIMM power.

In Device Manager, you have to check the options for keyboard
and mouse, to be able to wake with them. Some mice are
set up that the optical sensor or the buttons generate
a PME. But there are mice, where thoughtfully, only the
mouse buttons wake the computer and the optical sensor
is completely shut off.

The NIC can support four flavors of Wake On LAN behavior.
Wake On Carrier being the most annoying and causing the
machine to never go to sleep. It goes to sleep alright,
then wakes up a second later.

If someone plugs an iDevice into the back of the PC for
a recharge, they can overload +5VSB (2.5 to 3 amp typical
output limit). And the plugging in of the iDevice could
cause loss of the Sleep session. A selection of Hybrid Sleep,
could hide the details from the user.

My other machine, has no power budget for charging anything.
A 2 ampere iDevice could tip it over, if the machine was Sleeping.

Paul

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<uH_gK.8513$tTK.5301@fx97.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62710&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62710

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 00:34:33 -0400
 by: Bill - Wed, 18 May 2022 04:34 UTC

On 5/17/2022 11:57 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 1:07 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 16 May 2022 17:28:51 -0600, Gronk
>> <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> What's the setting to turn off the PC completely after a period of
>>> time of
>>> inactivity?
>>>
>>> I can only find the sleep settings for the computer and the power
>>> settings
>>> for the monitor.
>>>
>>> But my PC doesn't wake up from sleep more often than not.
>>
>> Have you tried the space bar?  Or that doesn't work, the power button?
>> Or the space bar.  They seems to work when right click doesn't.
>
> The Power Button should *always* work, because at BIOS level
> it presents as an ACPI Object. If a S3 Sleeping computer
> cannot be raised by the Power Button, then something has crashed
> or lost context (the storage bits in the PCH that represent
> the shutdown state, are screwed up).
>
> In Sleep, the session is stored (minimally) in at least the
> RAM sticks. The RAM sticks are in AutoRefresh state. That means
> the sticks, internally, visit the matrix of DRAM cells and
> do a refresh at the required interval. The operating voltage
> may be dropped as well. Power for the RAM sticks during
> sleep, comes from the +5VSB rail. That's a rail in the PSU,
> where no fan is running to cool that portion
> of circuitry.
>
> Modern memory sticks are approx. 1 watt a piece. It will be
> interesting to see how DDR5 (onboard regulators) manages DIMM power.
>
> In Device Manager, you have to check the options for keyboard
> and mouse, to be able to wake with them. Some mice are
> set up that the optical sensor or the buttons generate
> a PME. But there are mice, where thoughtfully, only the
> mouse buttons wake the computer and the optical sensor
> is completely shut off.
>
> The NIC can support four flavors of Wake On LAN behavior.
> Wake On Carrier being the most annoying and causing the
> machine to never go to sleep. It goes to sleep alright,
> then wakes up a second later.
>
> If someone plugs an iDevice into the back of the PC for
> a recharge, they can overload +5VSB (2.5 to 3 amp typical
> output limit). And the plugging in of the iDevice could
> cause loss of the Sleep session. A selection of Hybrid Sleep,
> could hide the details from the user.
>
> My other machine, has no power budget for charging anything.
> A 2 ampere iDevice could tip it over, if the machine was Sleeping.
>
>    Paul

20 years ago, I had a computer, a Dell, that sometimes (usually) had
trouble waking from sleep. The common opinion on that issue was that
the PSU was not powerful enough.

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<sn698hl9digndahtnupcjln0jl7mhu2l91@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62715&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62715

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 10:07:47 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 18 May 2022 07:07 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 18 May 2022 00:34:33 -0400, Bill
<nonegiven@att.net> wrote:

>On 5/17/2022 11:57 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 5/17/2022 1:07 PM, micky wrote:

>>> Have you tried the space bar?  Or that doesn't work, the power button?
>>> Or the space bar.  They seems to work when right click doesn't.
>>
>> The Power Button should *always* work, because at BIOS level
>> it presents as an ACPI Object. If a S3 Sleeping computer
>> cannot be raised by the Power Button, then something has crashed
>> or lost context (the storage bits in the PCH that represent
>> the shutdown state, are screwed up).
>>
>> In Sleep, the session is stored (minimally) in at least the
>> RAM sticks. The RAM sticks are in AutoRefresh state. That means
>> the sticks, internally, visit the matrix of DRAM cells and
>> do a refresh at the required interval. The operating voltage
>> may be dropped as well. Power for the RAM sticks during
>> sleep, comes from the +5VSB rail. That's a rail in the PSU,
>> where no fan is running to cool that portion
>> of circuitry.
>>
>> Modern memory sticks are approx. 1 watt a piece. It will be
>> interesting to see how DDR5 (onboard regulators) manages DIMM power.
>>
>> In Device Manager, you have to check the options for keyboard
>> and mouse, to be able to wake with them. Some mice are
>> set up that the optical sensor or the buttons generate
>> a PME. But there are mice, where thoughtfully, only the
>> mouse buttons wake the computer and the optical sensor
>> is completely shut off.
>>
>> The NIC can support four flavors of Wake On LAN behavior.
>> Wake On Carrier being the most annoying and causing the
>> machine to never go to sleep. It goes to sleep alright,
>> then wakes up a second later.
>>
>> If someone plugs an iDevice into the back of the PC for
>> a recharge, they can overload +5VSB (2.5 to 3 amp typical
>> output limit). And the plugging in of the iDevice could
>> cause loss of the Sleep session. A selection of Hybrid Sleep,
>> could hide the details from the user.
>>
>> My other machine, has no power budget for charging anything.
>> A 2 ampere iDevice could tip it over, if the machine was Sleeping.
>>
>>    Paul
>
>20 years ago, I had a computer, a Dell, that sometimes (usually) had
>trouble waking from sleep. The common opinion on that issue was that
>the PSU was not powerful enough.

That's good to know. That's what I'll tell my boss, after my lunch-time
nap.

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<20220518215701.1c5bf151@lmde>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62731&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62731

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 21:57:01 +0100
 by: mechanic - Wed, 18 May 2022 20:57 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:13:49 +0300
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> ...OR of shutting own anyhow, which I'm sure doesn't save any
> unsaved files, so you could have written a chapter of your novel
> and lose it all.

Doesn't MSFT Word have an autosave every ten minutes or similar?

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t67a40$vr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62785&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62785

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 01:48:46 -0400
 by: ...winston - Fri, 20 May 2022 05:48 UTC

mechanic wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:13:49 +0300
> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> ...OR of shutting own anyhow, which I'm sure doesn't save any
>> unsaved files, so you could have written a chapter of your novel
>> and lose it all.
>
> Doesn't MSFT Word have an autosave every ten minutes or similar?

Well Word does....as long as configured(default unless changed)
- AutoSave files stored in the Cloud by default in Word
- Save AutoRecover information every 'x' minutes (iirc 10 is default)
- Keep the last AutoRecovered version if I close without saving

Word, since 2016(or 2013) reequires a MSFT account signon to retain
activation for full features, the first(above) is always enabled. The
later(2nd, 3rd above) are also automatically enabled unless end-user
changed.

....but there's no guarantee that someone writing a novel is using Word.
If using Word, it's unlikely very few authors can write/type a whole
novel chapter in less time than the default AutoRecover every '10
minutes' setting.

--
...winston

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<20220520112424.71538f08@lmde>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62788&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62788

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 11:24:24 +0100
 by: mechanic - Fri, 20 May 2022 10:24 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 01:48:46 -0400
"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...but there's no guarantee that someone writing a novel is using
> Word.

Obviously no guarantees, but checking what editor/software
novelists *do* use, Scrivener comes out high on the lists, and that
also has autosave. Even if writers use pen and paper, experience
soon shows the virtue of frequent copying/saving operations.

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<aqaq8h17cvff677pghpaqlpeluu1hgtvnj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62975&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62975

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 22:06:15 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 24 May 2022 19:06 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 20 May 2022 11:24:24 +0100, mechanic
<mechanic@example.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2022 01:48:46 -0400
>"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...but there's no guarantee that someone writing a novel is using
>> Word.
>
>Obviously no guarantees, but checking what editor/software
>novelists *do* use, Scrivener comes out high on the lists, and that
>also has autosave. Even if writers use pen and paper, experience
>soon shows the virtue of frequent copying/saving operations.

Besides writing the Great American Novel, I also write posts to Trip
Advisor (which has no automatic save. In fact it has no save at all, I
think, until you submit it), I write posts to, ugh, Facebook and
NextDoor. I write email. Etc. And I generally don't leave a page
without saving my work, but the phone can ring or the bathroom can call,
and I can't guarantee I've saved all my work every time. I wouldn't
want windows shutting down without my telling it to and deciding what to
save and what not to.

And the consequences of not shutting down are so minor. He could use
hybrid sleep, hibernate, maybe regular sleep, or he could just let the
computer stay on** and waste some electricity. **Unless there's a
powerfailure, if it's a desktop. Especially hibernate which is a great
option. I have my laptop lid set to hibernate when I close the lid.

His plan is just silly, but he came up with the plan so it will take a
lot to make him change his mind.

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<t6ktfb$npr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63007&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63007

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 05:38:50 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 25 May 2022 09:38 UTC

On 5/24/2022 3:06 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 20 May 2022 11:24:24 +0100, mechanic
> <mechanic@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 May 2022 01:48:46 -0400
>> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ...but there's no guarantee that someone writing a novel is using
>>> Word.
>>
>> Obviously no guarantees, but checking what editor/software
>> novelists *do* use, Scrivener comes out high on the lists, and that
>> also has autosave. Even if writers use pen and paper, experience
>> soon shows the virtue of frequent copying/saving operations.
>
> Besides writing the Great American Novel, I also write posts to Trip
> Advisor (which has no automatic save. In fact it has no save at all, I
> think, until you submit it), I write posts to, ugh, Facebook and
> NextDoor. I write email. Etc. And I generally don't leave a page
> without saving my work, but the phone can ring or the bathroom can call,
> and I can't guarantee I've saved all my work every time. I wouldn't
> want windows shutting down without my telling it to and deciding what to
> save and what not to.
>
> And the consequences of not shutting down are so minor. He could use
> hybrid sleep, hibernate, maybe regular sleep, or he could just let the
> computer stay on** and waste some electricity. **Unless there's a
> powerfailure, if it's a desktop. Especially hibernate which is a great
> option. I have my laptop lid set to hibernate when I close the lid.
>
> His plan is just silly, but he came up with the plan so it will take a
> lot to make him change his mind.

Hibernate is a practical solution.
The power consumed, is as low as your EuP compatible
equipment can make it (could be 0.5W on a desktop).
My PSU is not EuP, which is why the Kill-O-Watt measures
1.4W. That's the bill-able consumption of the computer.

Sleep uses more power than that. And sleep on a laptop
will eventually run down the battery.

Paul

Re: Windows 10 power off after one hour of inactivity

<qpur8hppbn74pabgjitgntoboo8v8brach@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63008&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63008

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
References: <t5umms$g5p5$1@news.mixmin.net> <t5v025$fr7$1@dont-email.me> <t5vd0r$ha9t$1@news.mixmin.net> <jegsujF7ilbU1@mid.individual.net> <t5vfqf$15a$1@dont-email.me> <t5vh0h$hgpr$1@news.mixmin.net> <tnl78hdu95g4k374f2o1o3k9kgvtqhc8k7@4ax.com> <20220518215701.1c5bf151@lmde> <t67a40$vr$1@dont-email.me> <20220520112424.71538f08@lmde> <aqaq8h17cvff677pghpaqlpeluu1hgtvnj@4ax.com> <t6ktfb$npr$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 12:50:44 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 25 May 2022 09:50 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 25 May 2022 05:38:50 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 5/24/2022 3:06 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 20 May 2022 11:24:24 +0100, mechanic
>> <mechanic@example.net> wrote:

>>> Obviously no guarantees, but checking what editor/software
>>> novelists *do* use, Scrivener comes out high on the lists, and that
>>> also has autosave. Even if writers use pen and paper, experience
>>> soon shows the virtue of frequent copying/saving operations.
>>
>> Besides writing the Great American Novel, I also write posts to Trip
>> Advisor (which has no automatic save. In fact it has no save at all, I
>> think, until you submit it), I write posts to, ugh, Facebook and
>> NextDoor. I write email. Etc. And I generally don't leave a page
>> without saving my work, but the phone can ring or the bathroom can call,
>> and I can't guarantee I've saved all my work every time. I wouldn't
>> want windows shutting down without my telling it to and deciding what to
>> save and what not to.
>>
>> And the consequences of not shutting down are so minor. He could use
>> hybrid sleep, hibernate, maybe regular sleep, or he could just let the
>> computer stay on** and waste some electricity. **Unless there's a
>> powerfailure, if it's a desktop. Especially hibernate which is a great
>> option. I have my laptop lid set to hibernate when I close the lid.
>>
>> His plan is just silly, but he came up with the plan so it will take a
>> lot to make him change his mind.
>>

>Hibernate is a practical solution.
>The power consumed, is as low as your EuP compatible
>equipment can make it (could be 0.5W on a desktop).

The same as if the PC is off, right? Hibernate is the same as Off
except it first saves everything in RAM to the harddrive and makes a
note to copy it back to RAM when one starts up again. Then it turns
off.