Memories of you remind me of you. -- Karl Lehenbauer

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

SubjectAuthor
* Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
|+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPaul
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbars|b
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPaul
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||`- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
|+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarVanguardLH
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBucky Breeder
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBucky Breeder
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
|||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarVanguardLH
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarMayayana
||| +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarknuttle
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||+- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
|| `* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarJohn Doe
||  `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbaroccam
| +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPiet
| |+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| ||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPiet
| || +- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| || `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
| |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbaroccam
| | `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarThe Horny Goat
`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 | +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 | |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 | | `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 | `* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burns
 |  `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit

Pages:123
Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<BZAgK.28063$6dof.8372@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62641&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62641

Subject: Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:18:57 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 16 May 2022 23:18 UTC

On 5/16/2022 3:31 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> Either way, you've added another click to the process.
>
> There are two sides to every coin... where the difference in an adult
> conversation is simply that people agree on the facts, first.
>
> After agreeing on the facts (which almost never happens but it should, as
> you can _revise_ the facts as needed until you _do_ agree), then (and only
> then) we can work on the pros and cons of the two situations.
>
> If I understand your argument, you claim there is an _added click_ if you
> remove the search (which I don't disagree with so it's likely a fact).
>
> However, the rest of us who have _removed_ the search icons from the
> taskbar did it usually for one or both of two reasons, AFAICT.
> 1. Removing it gained extra space which is critical for some of us
> 2. Most of us would never think of using it anyway
>
> In summary, it may be an extra click, but the argument on the other side of
> the coin is that you're preserving critical taskbar real estate.
>
> Right?

I have room for that the first search icon, and two more just like it I
want, so don't worry about it so much...

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<S_AgK.28064$6dof.7212@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62642&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62642

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:20:18 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 16 May 2022 23:20 UTC

On 5/16/2022 3:39 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Nope, no extra click. - Click on the Start Menu button, and enter
>> text. - Click in the search toolbar, and enter text. There is no extra
>> click.  You have to switch focus to the search toolbar
>> before you can start entering text into it.
>
> Thanks for confirming that fact (which this micky, um, er, I mean Bill
> needs to confirm as I can't since I no longer have a search icon either).

I assure you, no one has ever called me micky.

> If it's the same number of steps, then what is the value to the search icon
> taking up real estate on the taskbar?
> As an aside, have you _ever_ found that Windows search to be useful?
> I haven't but I'll listen to an answer to _that_ question from others.
>
> BTW, I have the same question with Classic Shell.
> If people are using it to gain cascade menus, do they realize they are
> still there (and that they never left Windows in the first place?).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/hjjVXkq5/taskbarmenu07.jpg>
>
> I copied my Windows XP menu folder to Windows 10 and it worked.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<90BgK.28065$6dof.8557@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62643&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62643

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:21:41 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 16 May 2022 23:21 UTC

On 5/16/2022 3:27 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> I do have "Classic Shell"
>
> Why?
>
> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?

A cleaner interface. It actually provides me with "less"---and that's
the point. I'm only a click away from getting the updated version if I
want it (to get to "settings", for instance).

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<MPG.3ceccff5f5a8f95198ff34@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62647&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62647

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 22:18:20 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 17 May 2022 05:18 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 13:50:18 -0400, Bill wrote:
> Either way, you've added another click to the process. You still need to
> click in the text field (before you enter 'c' for example).

I'm not sure why you're under that impression, but it's not correct.
(Did you _try_ it before posting?)

I pressed and released the Windows logo key, then pressed and
released the C key, and got a list of apps whose names begin with C,
starting with Calculator. No need to click in any text field.

I have Windows 10 21H1. I suppose that ability _could_ have been
removed in later versions, but it seems unlikely.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5vf1c$1abk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62650&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62650

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 07:24:05 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:24 UTC

Bill wrote:

>> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?
>
> A cleaner interface. It actually provides me with "less"---and that's
> the point. I'm only a click away from getting the updated version if I
> want it (to get to "settings", for instance).

Less what?

Since I only used Classic Shell before I figured out that it's not needed
(if all you want are WinXP style accordion pullout menus), I don't know
what you mean by "less" in that sentence.

Less what?

What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5vf1p$1am5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62651&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62651

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 07:24:17 +0100

Bill wrote:

> I have room for that the first search icon, and two more just like it I
> want, so don't worry about it so much...

As always, no fruitful discussion is possible without first agreeing on the
facts, so I'll easily agree with you that the space taken by the icon is of
no consequence to you whatsoever if you aren't worried about the space.
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjjVXkq5/taskbarmenu07.jpg> Sometimes space matters

So then we just look at the number of clicks and the location of them.

If the taskbar search icon is there (mine isn't, so I'm guessing here),
then you click it (that's one step) and then you type something (that's
another step).

If the taskbar search icon is NOT there, then you can click the taskbar
Windows icon (which I don't think can be removed) so that's one step, and
then you start typing (that's another step).

If you want, you can hit the keyboard Windows key (that's one step) and
then start typing (that's another step).

Seems to me it's two steps in all cases, is it not?
As always when there are multiple ways of doing the same things, it boils
down to preferences.

Me?
I prefer to save precious taskbar space but I understand that you don't
care, but you can't argue that it's more clicks no matter how you search.

Here's a screenshot from October so ignore the captions.
<https://i.postimg.cc/j5K0RL7H/taskbarmenu01.jpg> No search in my taskbar

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5vfuo$15a$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62653&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62653

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:39:21 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:39 UTC

On 5/17/2022 2:24 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?

I'll put it into words for you.

It's called "muscle memory". The ability to use
an interface, without thinking about it.

That's what Classic Shell would give you.

Paul

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<%tHgK.14575$zVe6.14394@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62654&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62654

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:43:06 -0400
 by: Bill - Tue, 17 May 2022 06:43 UTC

On 5/17/2022 2:24 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>>> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have
>>> without it?
>>
>> A cleaner interface.  It actually provides me with "less"---and that's
>> the point.  I'm only a click away from getting the updated version if
>> I want it (to get to "settings", for instance).
>
> Less what?
>
> Since I only used Classic Shell before I figured out that it's not needed
> (if all you want are WinXP style accordion pullout menus), I don't know
> what you mean by "less" in that sentence.
>
> Less what?
>
> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?

Answer: An interface which is much faster to navigate. I see the
folders for All of my apps on the screen at the same time, instead of
having to scroll through a very long list. Also, I have no need for the
"productivity icons" including the "weather". So Classic Shell gives me
everything I want in less space, and without the weather forecast. "Less
is more!" :D

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<20220517093836.75f2b3d2@lmde>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62663&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62663

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 09:38:36 +0100
 by: mechanic - Tue, 17 May 2022 08:38 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 20:39:22 +0100
Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> As an aside, have you _ever_ found that Windows search to be useful?
> I haven't but I'll listen to an answer to _that_ question from others.

The typical Linux desktop doesn't have a search icon or bar, and I
rather miss it. With the crowded systems and desktops we seem to be
stuck with today (just to get work done), we need either a search
function or very careful arrangement of all the items we just
need having to hand.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t5vofp$qhs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62666&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62666

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:04:49 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:04 UTC

"Andy Burnelli" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Bill wrote:
>
>> I do have "Classic Shell"
>
> Why?
>
> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without
> it?

As usual Arlen you ask a question designed to get an answer you want.

I use Classic Shell to get rid of whatever the Desktop is called in Windows
8.1 & the tiles all of which were designed for touchscreens.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t605gp$v5k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62677&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62677

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:47:24 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Tue, 17 May 2022 12:47 UTC

"mechanic" <mechanic@example.net> wrote

| The typical Linux desktop doesn't have a search icon or bar, and I
| rather miss it. With the crowded systems and desktops we seem to be
| stuck with today (just to get work done), we need either a search
| function or very careful arrangement of all the items we just
| need having to hand.

I don't think that's so different from anything. Your
clothes closet, kitchen, workshop... If you like to
organize then you know where things are. Some people
don't like to organize. (I've lived with such people. My
father would always have his desk piled 6" high, with
things like the paperwork from an electric bill he paid
18 months ago.)

I have maybe 20 icons on QuickLaunch on XP. If I used
as much software on 10 it would be the same. So it's
always an easy glance and click to open something, without
needing to use keyboard, search, or searching the desktop.
(Though my desktop is also crowded with rows of VBScripts,
HTAs, help files, and whatever articles I downloaded but
haven't read yet.)

Your start menu doesn't have to be bloated ad crap if
you use Classic Shell. (I've never even looked at a Metro
app, so why would I want them on my start menu?)

Your desktop doesn't have to have a
lot of items. It's up to you. Pretty much the only time I go to
the start menu is for utilities that I only use occasionally.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t606ck$1s1g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62678&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62678

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 14:02:36 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 17 May 2022 13:02 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> I don't think that's so different from anything. Your
> clothes closet, kitchen, workshop... If you like to
> organize then you know where things are.

I'm going to agree with Mayayana that it's no different than anything.
<https://i.postimg.cc/PrcV1pXF/browser06.jpg>

For example, everything I put on the machine, I know where I put it.
Even when it gets complicated, like the stupid Microsoft browsers tend to.
<https://i.postimg.cc/26F7CZ7V/microsoft-browsers02.jpg>

Note that's a classic example of why most people are confused on computers,
which is that Microsoft and other companies make a mess of organization.

But if you're well organized, then you put things where YOU think they go.
And you can do that for _all_ your machines.
And it's the same for decades, since computers haven't changed a bit.

Everything is just either a file or a folder, right?
<https://i.postimg.cc/qvJDMQcq/taskbarmenu02.jpg> Menus are just folders

I can even tell you where I _would_ put it, a decade prior to obtaining it.

It's the same with my kitchen utensils.
If I buy a new spoon ten years from now, I already know where it goes.
Don't you?

And it's the same with my tools.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Mpwvz1pF/browser09.jpg>

If I need a hammer & screwdrivers, I know exactly where I put them.
Same with my office supplies (e.g., stapler, tape, etc.).

If I need batteries, they're in my battery drawer.
If I need light bulbs, they're in the light-bulb box.
If I need to replace a USB cable, they're in my cable box.

A place for everything and everything in its place.
<https://i.postimg.cc/q7VC5YXV/microsoft-browsers01.jpg>
Heck, I copied my WinXP menus over to Windows 10 and they worked fine.
<https://i.postimg.cc/D0J1tgDZ/windows-tweak.jpg>

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t606to$55u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62680&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62680

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 14:11:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 17 May 2022 13:11 UTC

Bill wrote:

>> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?
>
> Answer: An interface which is much faster to navigate. I see the
> folders for All of my apps on the screen at the same time, instead of
> having to scroll through a very long list. Also, I have no need for the
> "productivity icons" including the "weather". So Classic Shell gives me
> everything I want in less space, and without the weather forecast. "Less
> is more!" :D

Can you please show me a screenshot of what you're describing above?
If it is, indeed faster to navigate, then it's worth something.

But how is it faster to navigate then a taskbar pullout menu already is?
<https://i.postimg.cc/cCwdrZsQ/taskbarmenu03.jpg>

If all you really wanted out of Classic Shell was the WinXP cascade style
menus, you could have literally _copied_ your WinXP menus over to Win10.
<https://i.postimg.cc/qvJDMQcq/taskbarmenu02.jpg>

While you can also create them from scratch on Windows 10, my confusion is
if all you want is accordion style menus, they're already there in Win10.
<https://i.postimg.cc/j5K0RL7H/taskbarmenu01.jpg>

Why bother "adding back" what's "already there"?

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t6087g$q3v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62682&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62682

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 14:34:00 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 17 May 2022 13:34 UTC

Paul wrote:

>> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?
>
> I'll put it into words for you.
>
> It's called "muscle memory". The ability to use
> an interface, without thinking about it.
>
> That's what Classic Shell would give you.

Paul,

But the (WinXP) "muscle memory" is already there in Win10, isn't it?
<https://i.postimg.cc/HnPZkDDv/wiinxp-win10-menu01.jpg>

All of us have had every version of Windows.
The "muscle memory" cascade accordion style menu never left Windows.
<https://i.postimg.cc/nz3T3bzV/winxp-win10-menu02.jpg>

So why add "Classic Shell" to replace what is already there?
<https://i.postimg.cc/6pZjtmHz/winxp-win10-menu03.jpg>

Ever since Classic Shell came out (it changed names at one point), I've
been wondering if it's me who is stupid or everyone else who is stupid.

Why add a tool to give you back what you always had in the first place?

You can literally _copy_ (yes, copy!) your menu folder over from Windows
(anything, including Windows XP) from one machine to another and it will
work. I know this because I've done it _many_ times.

Why do people add back (using Classic Shell) what is _already_ there?

If someone has a screenshot of what they think they get with Classic Shell,
I'll take a look at it, as here's what my user interface is to Windows 10.
--
You and I, together, years ago, tried to get the Windows tile menus to work
but we both gave up (because they're binary and extremely poorly designed).

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t608n2$11vb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62683&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62683

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 14:42:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 17 May 2022 13:42 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> I use Classic Shell to get rid of whatever the Desktop is called in Windows
> 8.1 & the tiles all of which were designed for touchscreens.

Do you have a screenshot of what your user interface looks like?

Here's mine (notice it's EXACTLY what we had in Windows XP!)
<https://i.postimg.cc/HnPZkDDv/wiinxp-win10-menu01.jpg>

Work just fine when copied from WinXP directly over to Windows 10:
<https://i.postimg.cc/nz3T3bzV/winxp-win10-menu02.jpg>

The task-based Cascade Menu is native to both Windows XP & to Win10:
<https://i.postimg.cc/6pZjtmHz/winxp-win10-menu03.jpg>

Windows 10 has a *native* Cascade Menu just like WinXP always did.
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_menu1.png>
Like you said. No tiles. No alphabetical start menu. Just a pullout menu.
Exactly like we had in Windows XP.

Either the whole world is incredibly gullible, or maybe it's just me.
I don't see what you get in Classic Shell if all you want are those menus.

Why add Classic Shell to get back into Windows what never left Windows?
--
(Note I'm aware Classic Shell does _other_ stuff than just menus.)

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<XnsAE9A62DD98601Ohmmmmmmm@85.12.62.219>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62685&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62685

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: Breeder_...@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out (Bucky Breeder)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 14:43:08 GMT
 by: Bucky Breeder - Tue, 17 May 2022 14:43 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> posted this:

>> On 5/16/2022 1:18 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
>> > Not necessarily. If you have a Windows logo key, you can just tap
>> > that and begin typing your search.
>
> On Mon, 16 May 2022 13:50:18 -0400, Bill wrote:
>> Either way, you've added another click to the process. You still need to
>> click in the text field (before you enter 'c' for example).
>
> I'm not sure why you're under that impression, but it's not correct.
> (Did you _try_ it before posting?)
>
> I pressed and released the Windows logo key, then pressed and
> released the C key, and got a list of apps whose names begin with C,
> starting with Calculator. No need to click in any text field.
>
> I have Windows 10 21H1. I suppose that ability _could_ have been
> removed in later versions, but it seems unlikely.

Mine is 21H2; OS Build 19044.1706; with
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0...

When I press & release the Windows logo key then press and release the C
key, my list of apps that begin with C leads with CCleaner but it does not
show Windows Calculater... When I use Win logo then W, it doesn't show up
either.

Maybe I should demand a refund? Good thing my MSFT ergonomic keyboard has
a dedicated speciality key for the Windows Calculater at the top right so I
can quickly calculate things which need calculating or even if I'm just
curious about calculating some stuff. Otherwise, I'd have to be searching
for it or axing Cortana... I hate Cortana. I think she's a retarded
version of Alexa.

Then again, the Win logo then C key combo shows options in the right panel
for CCleaner that I never even realized it had.

Sunny side.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;

And *NO*, that is *NOT* a Jedi Light Saber I have in my pocket!

But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy to see you either.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<ume78h9jipfh9di4t9g158f13m1a5d8m67@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62686&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62686

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:11:56 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 17 May 2022 15:11 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 19:21:41 -0400, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote:

>On 5/16/2022 3:27 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>>
>>> I do have "Classic Shell"
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> What does "Classic Shell" provide that you don't _already_ have without it?
>
>A cleaner interface. It actually provides me with "less"---and that's
>the point. I'm only a click away from getting the updated version if I
>want it (to get to "settings", for instance).

Classic Shell is a good choice, but as far as I'm concerned, Start 10
is even better. It's only $5 and comes with a 30-day free trial. If
you haven't tried it, I recommend that you do.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<1xp1r2qoqa17j$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62689&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62689

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:37:37 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 May 2022 15:37 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
>> Either way, you've added another click to the process. You still need
>> to click in the text field (before you enter 'c' for example).
>
> I'm not sure why you're under that impression, but it's not correct.
> (Did you _try_ it before posting?)
>
> I pressed and released the Windows logo key, then pressed and
> released the C key, and got a list of apps whose names begin with C,
> starting with Calculator. No need to click in any text field.

Many users are not aware that just showing the Start Menu means you can
start typing characters without using any input textbox. They expect to
input the characters into a text field. That's probably why Bill
thought he still had to do another mouse click after showing the Start
Menu.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<vph78hldiatvgjt5ct367ejcnejnja7lvj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62693&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62693

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:03:21 -0600
 by: KenW - Tue, 17 May 2022 16:03 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 10:37:37 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Either way, you've added another click to the process. You still need
>>> to click in the text field (before you enter 'c' for example).
>>
>> I'm not sure why you're under that impression, but it's not correct.
>> (Did you _try_ it before posting?)
>>
>> I pressed and released the Windows logo key, then pressed and
>> released the C key, and got a list of apps whose names begin with C,
>> starting with Calculator. No need to click in any text field.
>
>Many users are not aware that just showing the Start Menu means you can
>start typing characters without using any input textbox. They expect to
>input the characters into a text field. That's probably why Bill
>thought he still had to do another mouse click after showing the Start
>Menu.

+1

KenW

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<_GYgK.14442$hAre.12735@fx08.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62703&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62703

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 22:17:30 -0400
 by: Bill - Wed, 18 May 2022 02:17 UTC

On 5/17/2022 11:37 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Either way, you've added another click to the process. You still need
>>> to click in the text field (before you enter 'c' for example).
>>
>> I'm not sure why you're under that impression, but it's not correct.
>> (Did you _try_ it before posting?)
>>
>> I pressed and released the Windows logo key, then pressed and
>> released the C key, and got a list of apps whose names begin with C,
>> starting with Calculator. No need to click in any text field.
>
> Many users are not aware that just showing the Start Menu means you can
> start typing characters without using any input textbox. They expect to
> input the characters into a text field. That's probably why Bill
> thought he still had to do another mouse click after showing the Start
> Menu.

Yes, thanks.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<20220518221921.0441715b@lmde>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62732&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62732

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 22:19:21 +0100
 by: mechanic - Wed, 18 May 2022 21:19 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:42:18 +0100
Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> wasbit wrote:
>
> > I use Classic Shell to get rid of whatever the Desktop is called in
> > Windows 8.1 & the tiles all of which were designed for
> > touchscreens.
>
> Do you have a screenshot of what your user interface looks like?
>
> Here's mine (notice it's EXACTLY what we had in Windows XP!)
> <https://i.postimg.cc/HnPZkDDv/wiinxp-win10-menu01.jpg>

You're version of vim is somewhat outdated!

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t642t4$137v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62734&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62734

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 01:27:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 19 May 2022 00:27 UTC

mechanic wrote:

>>> I use Classic Shell to get rid of whatever the Desktop is called in
>>> Windows 8.1 & the tiles all of which were designed for
>>> touchscreens.
>>
>> Do you have a screenshot of what your user interface looks like?
>>
>> Here's mine (notice it's EXACTLY what we had in Windows XP!)
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/HnPZkDDv/wiinxp-win10-menu01.jpg>
>
> You're version of vim is somewhat outdated!

That's a screenshot from one of my tutorials from long ago on how to create
Windows XP style accordion pull out cascade menus on Windows 10 using
nothing but a menu folder hierarchy pinned to the Windows 10 taskbar.

That folder could have been the start menu from WinXP, and it would have
worked, especially on my systems which put things were they belong.

If all people want are the accordion menus, Classic Shell is a waste.

Every time someone says they "need" Classic Shell, I ask them why, and I
never get an answer for anything that isn't _already_ on Windows 10.

And, that never left.

It's like when I ask people who say their brake rotors warped, they are
insistent that they warped, but since warp is impossible, I ask them what
the measurements were, and of course, they never measured them.

Same with Classic Shell.
--
Luckily it's free, or it would have been a tax on stupid. :)

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t64av1$gd7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62736&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62736

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:44:49 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 19 May 2022 02:44 UTC

On 5/13/22 21:24, Paul wrote:
> I think these features are intended to maintain the
> muscle tone in your "whack-a-mole" arm.
And your rude vocabulary

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t64b2u$gd7$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62737&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62737

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:46:54 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 19 May 2022 02:46 UTC

On 5/14/22 08:18, Bucky Breeder wrote:
> Whineytard Poopy-Pants <V@nguard.LH> posted this:
>
>> Bill wrote:

>>> I found the issue. It's called "search highlights" and it's new.
>>> Below is a link to instructions on how to get rid of it!
>>>
>>> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/03/17/how-to-disable-search-highlights-on-wi
>>> ndows-10/
>>>
>>> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
>>> "Who's computer is it?"!
>

>> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.
>> You've actually used it?
>
> He obviously has, you feckless asshat.
>
> That's why he posted an article seeking information on how to modify it.
>
> Nobody... *NOBODY* cares about *YOUR* personal experiences... Except maybe
> your alter sock puppets.
>
> VanguardLH's official webpage:
>
> <https://tinyurl.com/ytn4mayc>

Wrong Vanguard. Please bugger off this group
and leave Vanguard alone.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t64duq$6sa$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62738&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62738

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 20:35:54 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 19 May 2022 03:35 UTC

On 5/13/22 21:32, VanguardLH wrote:
> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.

I have found a use for it. If I need to a a total
waste of space to the task bar, it looks official.

What???

Okay, I disable it too.