If God had a beard, he'd be a UNIX programmer.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

SubjectAuthor
* Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
|+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPaul
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbars|b
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPaul
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||`- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
|+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarVanguardLH
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBucky Breeder
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBucky Breeder
||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
|||+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarVanguardLH
|||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarMayayana
||| +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarknuttle
||| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||+- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarT
|| `* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarJohn Doe
||  `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbaroccam
| +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPiet
| |+* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| ||`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarPiet
| || +- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| || `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
| |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbaroccam
| | `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarKen Blake
| `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarThe Horny Goat
`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 | +* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 | |`* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 | | `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarBill
 | `* Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarAndy Burns
 |  `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit
 `- Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbarwasbit

Pages:123
Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t660aj$i7k$7@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62762&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62762

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 17:55:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Thu, 19 May 2022 17:55 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:

>> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.

> Okay, I disable it too.

I seem to recall a thread about that years ago.

I see nothing unusual on the taskbar, apparently it was done away with way
back then.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<XnsAE9C84D1B52E4Ohmmmmmmm@85.12.62.219>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62763&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62763

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: Breeder_...@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out (Bucky Breeder)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:03:24 GMT
 by: Bucky Breeder - Thu, 19 May 2022 18:03 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> posted this:
> On 5/14/22 08:18, Bucky Breeder wrote:
>> Whineytard Poopy-Pants <V@nguard.LH> posted this:

>>> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for
>>> it. You've actually used it?
>>
>> He obviously has, you feckless asshat.
>>
>> That's why he posted an article seeking information on how to modify
>> it.
>>
>> Nobody... *NOBODY* cares about *YOUR* personal experiences... Except
>> maybe your alter sock puppets, like your <T@invalid.invalid> puppet.
>>
>> VanguardLH's official webpage:
>>
>> <https://tinyurl.com/ytn4mayc>
>>

> Wrong Vanguard. Please bugger off this group
> and leave Vanguard alone.
> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.txt

*YOU* bugger Vanguard again, *you* cyber-pervert.

<https://tinyurl.com/htwvwabs>

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;

And *NO*, that is *NOT* a Jedi Light Saber I have in my pocket!

But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy to see you either.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t66i76$lqt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62772&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62772

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 00:01:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 19 May 2022 23:01 UTC

John Doe wrote:

>> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>>> I have the Search toolbar disabled (hidden). Never found a use for it.
>
>> Okay, I disable it too.
>
> I seem to recall a thread about that years ago.
>
> I see nothing unusual on the taskbar, apparently it was done away with way
> back then.

IMHO, the only thing the "search icon" in the tasbar does is waste space.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t6aa53$3r6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62814&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62814

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 10:07:45 +0100
 by: wasbit - Sat, 21 May 2022 09:07 UTC

"Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in message
> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big silly-looking
> icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian American and
> Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>
> I consider this "bloat"! How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I tried,
> it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself. Thank you for
> any assistance!

I have Windows 10 & Windows 11 on a separately partitioned hard drive.
My hardware is ancient & doesn't meet the W11 requirements & I'm using a
local account on both.
Having updated both twice this week (I only have them to keep informed), I
have yet to see these 'Search Highlights'.
No help to the OP but may be for other users.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<2a3iK.3546$3Gzd.1986@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62815&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62815

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 06:29:18 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 21 May 2022 10:29 UTC

On 5/21/2022 5:07 AM, wasbit wrote:
> "Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in message
>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
>> silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
>> American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>
>> I consider this "bloat"!   How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
>> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself.
>> Thank you for any assistance!
>
> I have Windows 10 & Windows 11 on a separately partitioned hard drive.
> My hardware is ancient & doesn't meet the W11 requirements & I'm using a
> local account on both.
> Having updated both twice this week (I only have them to keep informed),
> I have yet to see these 'Search Highlights'.
> No help to the OP but may be for other users.

It's associated with the search field on the toolbar--if you have that
disabled, then you won't see the Search Highlights I described. I also
made another post indicating how to hide the feature.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t6cs8a$sdi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62828&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62828

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 09:28:56 +0100
 by: wasbit - Sun, 22 May 2022 08:28 UTC

> On 5/21/2022 5:07 AM, wasbit wrote:
>> "Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in message
>>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
>>> silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
>>> American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>>
>>> I consider this "bloat"! How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
>>> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself. Thank
>>> you for any assistance!
>>
>> I have Windows 10 & Windows 11 on a separately partitioned hard drive.
>> My hardware is ancient & doesn't meet the W11 requirements & I'm using a
>> local account on both.
>> Having updated both twice this week (I only have them to keep informed),
>> I have yet to see these 'Search Highlights'.
>> No help to the OP but may be for other users.
>>

> It's associated with the search field on the toolbar--if you have that
> disabled, then you won't see the Search Highlights I described. I also
> made another post indicating how to hide the feature.

Apart from a local account my installs are bog standard.
I purposely keep them that way so that I can follow what others are seeing.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<tlniK.20111$zgr9.7108@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62831&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62831

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 05:26:49 -0400
 by: Bill - Sun, 22 May 2022 09:26 UTC

On 5/22/2022 4:28 AM, wasbit wrote:
> Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in message
>> On 5/21/2022 5:07 AM, wasbit wrote:
>>> "Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in message

>>> I have Windows 10 & Windows 11 on a separately partitioned hard drive.
>>> My hardware is ancient & doesn't meet the W11 requirements & I'm
>>> using a local account on both.
>>> Having updated both twice this week (I only have them to keep
>>> informed), I have yet to see these 'Search Highlights'.
>>> No help to the OP but may be for other users.
>>>

>> It's associated with the search field on the toolbar--if you have that
>> disabled, then you won't see the Search Highlights I described.  I
>> also made another post indicating how to hide the feature.
>
> Apart from a local account my  installs are bog standard.
> I purposely keep them that way so that I can follow what others are seeing.

My hardware doesn't exactly meet the W11 requirements either, but maybe
your particular hardware has something to do with the features you get.
I have no idea. I'm sure if you do a Google search on "Search
Highlights" you can see what you are missing (if you are curious).

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t6fh0u$jom$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62852&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62852

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:35:38 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 23 May 2022 08:35 UTC

> On 5/22/2022 4:28 AM, wasbit wrote:
>> Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in message

>>> It's associated with the search field on the toolbar--if you have that
>>> disabled, then you won't see the Search Highlights I described. I also
>>> made another post indicating how to hide the feature.
>>
>> Apart from a local account my installs are bog standard.
>> I purposely keep them that way so that I can follow what others are
>> seeing.
>>
> My hardware doesn't exactly meet the W11 requirements either, but maybe
> your particular hardware has something to do with the features you get. I
> have no idea. I'm sure if you do a Google search on "Search Highlights"
> you can see what you are missing (if you are curious).

I forgot to say I followed your links. Thank you.
I have found that where you would think two PCs or laptops would be viewed
identically, often that isn't the case.
It's not normally a problem & I don't need to know the causes, just how to
get done what needs to be done.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<jf0vrpF9q2qU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62853&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62853

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:44:40 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 23 May 2022 08:44 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> Apart from a local account my installs are bog standard.
> I purposely keep them that way so that I can follow what others are seeing.

I thought you said elsewhere that you used Classic Shell?

There's nothing wrong with that if you prefer it, but it does make your machine
"different" in terms of following what others may be seeing ...

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t6fj4j$2if$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62854&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62854

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 10:11:43 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 23 May 2022 09:11 UTC

"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> wasbit wrote:
>
>> Apart from a local account my installs are bog standard.
>> I purposely keep them that way so that I can follow what others are
>> seeing.
>
> I thought you said elsewhere that you used Classic Shell?
>
> There's nothing wrong with that if you prefer it, but it does make your
> machine "different" in terms of following what others may be seeing ...

Yep. I use Classic Shell on Windows 8.1.
Windows 10 & 11 are on a separate, partitioned hard drive.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<iVSiK.20050$3Gzd.4612@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62909&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#62909

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 17:21:19 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 23 May 2022 21:21 UTC

On 5/23/2022 4:35 AM, wasbit wrote:

> I forgot to say I followed your links. Thank you.

You're welcome! Thank you! It's nice to know that one of my posts
was helpful to someone. : )

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t71v15$d1d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63223&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63223

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 09:24:57 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 30 May 2022 08:24 UTC

"wasbit" <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in message
>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big silly-looking
>> icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian American and
>> Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>
>> I consider this "bloat"! How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
>> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself. Thank
>> you for any assistance!
>
> I have Windows 10 & Windows 11 on a separately partitioned hard drive.
> My hardware is ancient & doesn't meet the W11 requirements & I'm using a
> local account on both.
> Having updated both twice this week (I only have them to keep informed), I
> have yet to see these 'Search Highlights'.
> No help to the OP but may be for other users.

It's arrived under the guise of update KB501143.
Have turned Search Highlights off & made note of the fact in a file to
refer to, if needed, at a later date.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<jfm5f8FbggaU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63267&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63267

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 11:29:12 +0200
 by: occam - Tue, 31 May 2022 09:29 UTC

On 14/05/2022 04:34, Bill wrote:
> On 5/13/2022 10:10 PM, Bill wrote:
>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
>> silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
>> American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>
>> I consider this "bloat"!   How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
>> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself.
>> Thank you for any assistance!
>
> I found the issue. It's called "search highlights" and it's new.
> Below is a link to instructions on how to get rid of it!
>
> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/03/17/how-to-disable-search-highlights-on-windows-10/
>

> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
> "Who's computer is it?"!

The computer is yours. The free operating system is not.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t74q8r$1ovn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63270&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63270

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 12:22:20 +0200
 by: Piet - Tue, 31 May 2022 10:22 UTC

occam wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
>> "Who's computer is it?"!
>
> The computer is yours. The free operating system is not.

We're talking about MS Windows. That's not for free.

-p

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<5kac9hlfteqnih07nil6ceki3shq44ccht@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63275&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63275

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 07:49:30 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 31 May 2022 14:49 UTC

On Tue, 31 May 2022 12:22:20 +0200, Piet
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

>occam wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>>> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
>>> "Who's computer is it?"!
>>
>> The computer is yours. The free operating system is not.
>
>We're talking about MS Windows. That's not for free.

True, but it doesn't matter. It's still not yours. You can't *buy*
Windows; what you buy is the right to use it--sort of a lease on it.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<t75c91$10db$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63276&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63276

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 17:29:39 +0200
 by: Piet - Tue, 31 May 2022 15:29 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> Piet wrote:
>> occam wrote:
>>>
>>> The computer is yours. The free operating system is not.
>>
>> We're talking about MS Windows. That's not for free.
>
> True, but it doesn't matter. It's still not yours. You can't *buy*
> Windows; what you buy is the right to use it--sort of a lease on it.

It *does* matter: whether you buy it or lease it, you pay for it.
You can also decide to say farewell to MS Windows and install one
of the Linux distros that are for free. Although in a sense you
pay for that to in time, spent on finding/installing software to
replace MS sw, and the learning curve.

-p

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<kcec9hptgt2jop725sld0mmpahe1highep@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63278&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63278

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 08:53:21 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 31 May 2022 15:53 UTC

On Tue, 31 May 2022 17:29:39 +0200, Piet
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>> Piet wrote:

>>> We're talking about MS Windows. That's not for free.
>>
>> True, but it doesn't matter. It's still not yours. You can't *buy*
>> Windows; what you buy is the right to use it--sort of a lease on it.
>
>It *does* matter: whether you buy it or lease it, you pay for it.

Yes, but my only point is that if you buy it, it's yours; if you lease
it, it's not.

>You can also decide to say farewell to MS Windows and install one
>of the Linux distros that are for free.

Of course.

>Although in a sense you
>pay for that to in time, spent on finding/installing software to
>replace MS sw, and the learning curve.
>
>-p

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<c3rlK.73136$5fVf.47139@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63279&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63279

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 12:07:36 -0400
 by: Bill - Tue, 31 May 2022 16:07 UTC

On 5/31/2022 11:29 AM, Piet wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> Piet wrote:

>>> We're talking about MS Windows. That's not for free.
>>
>> True, but it doesn't matter. It's still not yours. You can't *buy*
>> Windows; what you buy is the right to use it--sort of a lease on it.
>
> It *does* matter: whether you buy it or lease it, you pay for it.
> You can also decide to say farewell to MS Windows and install one
> of the Linux distros that are for free. Although in a sense you
> pay for that to in time, spent on finding/installing software to
> replace MS sw, and the learning curve.

I've heard it's possible to run some (most?) Windows apps in Linux too.
So the learning curve might not necessarily be all that steep. YMMV.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<jfrph6Ffjm5U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63311&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63311

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:42:13 +0200
 by: occam - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 12:42 UTC

On 31/05/2022 12:22, Piet wrote:
> occam wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>>> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
>>> "Who's computer is it?"!
>>
>> The computer is yours. The free operating system is not.
>
> We're talking about MS Windows. That's not for free.

Did you pay for Windows 10? Windows 11? Free. QED.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<j8hh9ht0619035lsdaqru0e09autsj3hjg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63317&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63317

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 07:12:15 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:12 UTC

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:42:13 +0200, occam <nobody@nowhere.nix> wrote:

>On 31/05/2022 12:22, Piet wrote:
>> occam wrote:
>>>
>>> The computer is yours. The free operating system is not.
>>
>> We're talking about MS Windows. That's not for free.
>>

>Did you pay for Windows 10? Windows 11? Free. QED.

Getting an upgrade or update for free is not the same thing as getting
the product for free.

Re: Latest Windows Update added a new item to the toolbar

<jf2psh53otgj7bb7reeguajbn90pt1juut@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68287&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68287

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:58:03 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 00:58 UTC

On Tue, 31 May 2022 11:29:12 +0200, occam <nobody@nowhere.nix> wrote:

>On 14/05/2022 04:34, Bill wrote:
>> On 5/13/2022 10:10 PM, Bill wrote:
>>> Microsoft just performed an update which left me with a big
>>> silly-looking icon on the toolbar which has information about "Asian
>>> American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month" and "Word of the day".
>>>
>>> I consider this "bloat"!   How can I remove the icon I mentioned--I
>>> tried, it doesn't work like the icons I add to the toolbar myself.
>>> Thank you for any assistance!
>>
>> I found the issue. It's called "search highlights" and it's new.
>> Below is a link to instructions on how to get rid of it!
>>
>> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/03/17/how-to-disable-search-highlights-on-windows-10/
>>

>> I REALLY WISH Windows wouldn't take these liberties...we're back to
>> "Who's computer is it?"!
>

>The computer is yours. The free operating system is not.

What I hate about it is that there seems to be no way to either hide
the bar or make it search with anything other than Edge