"An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of code." -- an anonymous programmer

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

SubjectAuthor
* Getting out of a stuck desktopbob prohaska
+* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopJan Panteltje
|+* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopComputer Nerd Kev
||`* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopbob prohaska
|| +* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopComputer Nerd Kev
|| |+* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopDennis Lee Bieber
|| |`- Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopbob prohaska
|| `- Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopJan Panteltje
|`* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopCharlie Gibbs
| `- Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopJan Panteltje
+* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopChris Green
|`* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopThe Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopAndy Burns
|  `- Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopdruck
 `* Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopRobert Riches
  `- Re: Getting out of a stuck desktopdruck

1
Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0gb5s$3a9v9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6305&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6305

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Getting out of a stuck desktop
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 05:05:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 05:05 UTC

From time to time RasPiOS seems to hang in chromium, locking up
the desktop. The mouse pointer still tracks, but clicking on
icons or typing produces no response. The problem seems linked
to the Chrome browser. The machine seems to be up to date as
of the latest incident.

Is there any way to kill Chrome _other_ than power cycling?
So far I've not encountered any problems pulling the plug, but
it'd be nice if there's a more graceful way to get Chrome out of
the way.

A break to debugger key sequence would be better than nothing.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0gc7o$30uur$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6306&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6306

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 05:23:03 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 05:23 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Apr 2023 05:05:00 -0000 (UTC)) it happened bob prohaska
<bp@www.zefox.net> wrote in <u0gb5s$3a9v9$1@dont-email.me>:

>From time to time RasPiOS seems to hang in chromium, locking up
>the desktop. The mouse pointer still tracks, but clicking on
>icons or typing produces no response. The problem seems linked
>to the Chrome browser. The machine seems to be up to date as
>of the latest incident.
>
>Is there any way to kill Chrome _other_ than power cycling?
>So far I've not encountered any problems pulling the plug, but
>it'd be nice if there's a more graceful way to get Chrome out of
>the way.
>
>A break to debugger key sequence would be better than nothing.
>
>Thanks for reading,
>
>bob prohaska

In a terminal, as root
killall -KILL chromium-browser

That said, I moved to firefox, it somehow imported my chromium bookmarks too.
Interestng is
1) firefox is faster
2) my data usage has dropped significantly when doing the same thing / visiting the same sites every day
I do have addblock installed.

I was a seamonkey user in x86, and before that firefox.
firefox user interface is more pleasant to me, may be a question of getting used to it though.
Have not tried youtube on firefox yet, can always use chromium if that does not work
or use the laptop..

Maybe chromium does not hang but just needs more time?
seems to chache a lot too.

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<642bcfb3@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6307&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6307

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 4 Apr 2023 17:20:20 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 07:20 UTC

Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Apr 2023 05:05:00 -0000 (UTC)) it happened bob prohaska
> <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote in <u0gb5s$3a9v9$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>>From time to time RasPiOS seems to hang in chromium, locking up
>>the desktop. The mouse pointer still tracks, but clicking on
>>icons or typing produces no response. The problem seems linked
>>to the Chrome browser. The machine seems to be up to date as
>>of the latest incident.
>>
>>Is there any way to kill Chrome _other_ than power cycling?
[snip]
> In a terminal, as root
> killall -KILL chromium-browser

If it's not possible to open a graphical terminal window, then
first Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch out of X and then execute the command.
Switching back to X depends on how many terminal instances are
running, if one then Ctrl-Alt-F2, if more then
Ctrl-Alt-F[something] (work your way through them all).

If you're running Wayland instead of X, then I've got no idea.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<9k1tfj-et6f.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6308&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6308

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 08:53:13 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 07:53 UTC

bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> From time to time RasPiOS seems to hang in chromium, locking up
> the desktop. The mouse pointer still tracks, but clicking on
> icons or typing produces no response. The problem seems linked
> to the Chrome browser. The machine seems to be up to date as
> of the latest incident.
>
> Is there any way to kill Chrome _other_ than power cycling?
> So far I've not encountered any problems pulling the plug, but
> it'd be nice if there's a more graceful way to get Chrome out of
> the way.

Is this a Pi running with a local display and keyboard etc.? If so
then doesn't CTRL+ALT+Fn (where n is 1 to 6) get you to a console
login which would enable you to log in to a command line and kill
chrome (or even the GUI).

Alternatively if you have remote access to the Pi then ssh to a
command line and kill chrome.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0h1g5$3d5sm$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6309&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6309

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 12:25:57 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 11:25 UTC

On 04/04/2023 08:53, Chris Green wrote:
> bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>>
>> From time to time RasPiOS seems to hang in chromium, locking up
>> the desktop. The mouse pointer still tracks, but clicking on
>> icons or typing produces no response. The problem seems linked
>> to the Chrome browser. The machine seems to be up to date as
>> of the latest incident.
>>
>> Is there any way to kill Chrome _other_ than power cycling?
>> So far I've not encountered any problems pulling the plug, but
>> it'd be nice if there's a more graceful way to get Chrome out of
>> the way.
>>
> Is this a Pi running with a local display and keyboard etc.? If so
> then doesn't CTRL+ALT+Fn (where n is 1 to 6) get you to a console
> login which would enable you to log in to a command line and kill
> chrome (or even the GUI).

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill/restart the xserver is another.
I have had occasions where nothing seemed to work, usually associated
with networking issues.

> Alternatively if you have remote access to the Pi then ssh to a
> command line and kill chrome.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<k92gsbF4894U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6310&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6310

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 12:44:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 11:44 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill/restart the xserver is another.

Hasn't that been disabled by default for years on most distros?

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0hi65$3fqon$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6311&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6311

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 17:10:45 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:10 UTC

On 04/04/2023 12:44, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill/restart the xserver is another.
>
> Hasn't that been disabled by default for years on most distros?
Dunno. Works for me on Mint Mate

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<J2_WL.2333871$GNG9.588531@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6312&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6312

Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 18:32:09 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 18:32 UTC

On 2023-04-04, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:

> In a terminal, as root
> killall -KILL chromium-browser

If you can't get a terminal window open (that happens to my
Debian tower sometimes when my display driver hangs), you can
ssh into the box from another machine and do the kill that way.
Worst case, you can force a reboot and get an orderly shutdown.

> I was a seamonkey user in x86, and before that firefox.

At the risk of thread drift, why did you stop using Seamonkey?
I'm using it because Firefox changed the user interface in ways
I didn't like starting in release 29. But there are a small
but increasing number of web sites that Seamonkey can't handle,
so I have to fall back to Firefox for them.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | You can't save the earth
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | unless you're willing to

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0hvfo$3hu45$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6313&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6313

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:57:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:57 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Apr 2023 05:05:00 -0000 (UTC)) it happened bob prohaska
> [snip]
>> In a terminal, as root
>> killall -KILL chromium-browser
>
> If it's not possible to open a graphical terminal window, then

Worse than that, clicking on an existing terminal window didn't
grant it focus. I'd forgotten (again) about ctrl-alt-Fn and will
try that next time the machine gets stuck, but when it happened
again this morning I did check the caps lock LED and it doesn't
react to the caps lock key, so it looks like the keyboard isn't
being read even though the mouse still tracked.

> first Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch out of X and then execute the command.
> Switching back to X depends on how many terminal instances are
> running, if one then Ctrl-Alt-F2, if more then
> Ctrl-Alt-F[something] (work your way through them all).

In normal operation there are close to a dozen terminal sessions,
five or six windows with a few tabs each. I've seen no indication
the machine is low on resources. It's an 8 GB Pi4, could that be
too much for it? I've never noticed the machine swapping, ever.
I just noticed I haven't set up a hardware swap partition, so
all it has is the 100 MB swapfile set up in the image file.
> If you're running Wayland instead of X, then I've got no idea.

I'm running whatever is default for 64 bit RasPiOS. Is there some
way to check if Wayland's in use?

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0i15q$3i17p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6314&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6314

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:26:35 +0100
 by: druck - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:26 UTC

On 04/04/2023 06:05, bob prohaska wrote:
> From time to time RasPiOS seems to hang in chromium, locking up
> the desktop. The mouse pointer still tracks, but clicking on
> icons or typing produces no response. The problem seems linked
> to the Chrome browser. The machine seems to be up to date as
> of the latest incident.

Unless its a 4GB or more RPi 4B, it's probably running out of memory and
hitting the brick wall of swapping to the SD card. It might take a
couple of minutes to become responsive enough again for you to close
tabs or quit the browser completely.
> Is there any way to kill Chrome _other_ than power cycling?
> So far I've not encountered any problems pulling the plug, but
> it'd be nice if there's a more graceful way to get Chrome out of
> the way.

You could try ssh'ing in to kill the browser remotely, but when swapping
the ssh client will probably timeout, or be unusably slow.

> A break to debugger key sequence would be better than nothing.

You could set up the hardware watchdog to automatically reboot the
machine after it has become unresponsive, but that's probably not hat
you want when using it interactively.

---druck

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<642cb193@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6315&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6315

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 5 Apr 2023 09:24:04 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 23:24 UTC

bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:
>>> On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Apr 2023 05:05:00 -0000 (UTC)) it happened bob prohaska
>> [snip]
>>> In a terminal, as root
>>> killall -KILL chromium-browser
>>
>> If it's not possible to open a graphical terminal window, then
>
> Worse than that, clicking on an existing terminal window didn't
> grant it focus. I'd forgotten (again) about ctrl-alt-Fn and will
> try that next time the machine gets stuck, but when it happened
> again this morning I did check the caps lock LED and it doesn't
> react to the caps lock key, so it looks like the keyboard isn't
> being read even though the mouse still tracked.

Doesn't sound good, but it depends on how the drivers are set up.
Also Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is the common command to close X entirely
and return to the terminal, so you might as well try that as well
if ctrl-alt-Fn doesn't work for you.

>> first Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch out of X and then execute the command.
>> Switching back to X depends on how many terminal instances are
>> running, if one then Ctrl-Alt-F2, if more then
>> Ctrl-Alt-F[something] (work your way through them all).
>
> In normal operation there are close to a dozen terminal sessions,
> five or six windows with a few tabs each. I've seen no indication
> the machine is low on resources. It's an 8 GB Pi4, could that be
> too much for it? I've never noticed the machine swapping, ever.
> I just noticed I haven't set up a hardware swap partition, so
> all it has is the 100 MB swapfile set up in the image file.

I'd guess some sort of bug in the GPU driver is bing triggered, or
maybe the GPU itself in your Pi4 is getting flaky.

>> If you're running Wayland instead of X, then I've got no idea.
>>

> I'm running whatever is default for 64 bit RasPiOS. Is there some
> way to check if Wayland's in use?

Check "ps -A | grep Xorg" returns a match, or run "xdpyinfo" in a
graphical terminal window and see if it spits out lots of info. I
don't think Wayland would be default though, so X should be a safe
assumption.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<9dlp2i580gfegce7cscbv4ph18laaen8pf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6316&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6316

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 22:05:24 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 02:05 UTC

On 5 Apr 2023 09:24:04 +1000, not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
declaimed the following:

>bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:

>> I'm running whatever is default for 64 bit RasPiOS. Is there some
>> way to check if Wayland's in use?
>
>Check "ps -A | grep Xorg" returns a match, or run "xdpyinfo" in a
>graphical terminal window and see if it spits out lots of info. I
>don't think Wayland would be default though, so X should be a safe
>assumption.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-bullseye-update-april-2022/

Don't find anything newer.

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<slrnu2pmoa.3cm.spamtrap42@one.localnet>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6317&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6317

From: spamtra...@jacob21819.net (Robert Riches)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 5 Apr 2023 02:20:58 GMT
 by: Robert Riches - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 02:20 UTC

On 2023-04-04, druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/04/2023 06:05, bob prohaska wrote:
>> From time to time RasPiOS seems to hang in chromium, locking up
>> the desktop. The mouse pointer still tracks, but clicking on
>> icons or typing produces no response. The problem seems linked
>> to the Chrome browser. The machine seems to be up to date as
>> of the latest incident.
>
> Unless its a 4GB or more RPi 4B, it's probably running out of memory and
> hitting the brick wall of swapping to the SD card. It might take a
> couple of minutes to become responsive enough again for you to close
> tabs or quit the browser completely.

If the Pi is running a compress-to-RAM swap setup, there is a
possibility of the compressed swap getting deadlocked.

Some years ago, I discovered that Tiny Core Linux (runs with
compress-to-RAM swap) would deadlock during periods of full-out
disk traffic on a high-end server with tons of RAM (for the
time). Disabling the compress-to-RAM swap thing cured that. (I
might have been able to solve it by setting swappiness to _never_
swap, but it was easier to just disable the swap setup entirely.)

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0j24q$2u2nt$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6318&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6318

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 05:49:14 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 05:49 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 04 Apr 2023 18:32:09 GMT) it happened Charlie Gibbs
<cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote in <J2_WL.2333871$GNG9.588531@fx18.iad>:

>On 2023-04-04, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In a terminal, as root
>> killall -KILL chromium-browser
>
>If you can't get a terminal window open (that happens to my
>Debian tower sometimes when my display driver hangs), you can
>ssh into the box from another machine and do the kill that way.
>Worst case, you can force a reboot and get an orderly shutdown.
>
>> I was a seamonkey user in x86, and before that firefox.
>
>At the risk of thread drift, why did you stop using Seamonkey?
>I'm using it because Firefox changed the user interface in ways
>I didn't like starting in release 29. But there are a small
>but increasing number of web sites that Seamonkey can't handle,
>so I have to fall back to Firefox for them.

I still have seamonkey on my x86 laptop, but it no longer works
as it runs an a slackware from 2013 and these day gives all sorts of access
problems on websites...

Really need to update that laptop:-)
I do have an Ubuntu for it somewhere

So is there a seamonkey for raspi?

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0j24r$2u2nt$2@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6319&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6319

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 05:49:14 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 05:49 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:57:45 -0000 (UTC)) it happened bob prohaska
<bp@www.zefox.net> wrote in <u0hvfo$3hu45$1@dont-email.me>:

>Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:
>>> On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Apr 2023 05:05:00 -0000 (UTC)) it happened bob prohaska
>> [snip]
>>> In a terminal, as root
>>> killall -KILL chromium-browser
>>
>> If it's not possible to open a graphical terminal window, then
>
>Worse than that, clicking on an existing terminal window didn't
>grant it focus. I'd forgotten (again) about ctrl-alt-Fn and will
>try that next time the machine gets stuck, but when it happened
>again this morning I did check the caps lock LED and it doesn't
>react to the caps lock key, so it looks like the keyboard isn't
>being read even though the mouse still tracked.

Ah, I had that several times, wireless keyboard, remove USB adaptor, then put it back in again
fixes it every time...

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0kl1g$qdd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6320&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6320

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 21:17:52 +0100
 by: druck - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 20:17 UTC

On 05/04/2023 03:20, Robert Riches wrote:
> On 2023-04-04, druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 04/04/2023 06:05, bob prohaska wrote:
>> Unless its a 4GB or more RPi 4B, it's probably running out of memory and
>> hitting the brick wall of swapping to the SD card. It might take a
>> couple of minutes to become responsive enough again for you to close
>> tabs or quit the browser completely.
>
> If the Pi is running a compress-to-RAM swap setup, there is a
> possibility of the compressed swap getting deadlocked.

Good point, I've tried zram swap back when I was trying to web browse on
a 1GB 3B+, and had it unrecoverably hang a few times.

When I got the 4GB and then 8GB 4B's I disabled it and set up physical
swap on an SSD. That gets a couple of hundred MB shunted in to it over
the course of things, but has never started swapping. Certainly no
unexplained lock ups.

---druck

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0lcep$723o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6321&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6321

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 02:57:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 02:57 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> If it's not possible to open a graphical terminal window, then
>>
>> Worse than that, clicking on an existing terminal window didn't
>> grant it focus. I'd forgotten (again) about ctrl-alt-Fn and will
>> try that next time the machine gets stuck, but when it happened
>> again this morning I did check the caps lock LED and it doesn't
>> react to the caps lock key, so it looks like the keyboard isn't
>> being read even though the mouse still tracked.
>
> Doesn't sound good, but it depends on how the drivers are set up.
> Also Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is the common command to close X entirely
> and return to the terminal, so you might as well try that as well
> if ctrl-alt-Fn doesn't work for you.
>
>>> first Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch out of X and then execute the command.
>>> Switching back to X depends on how many terminal instances are
>>> running, if one then Ctrl-Alt-F2, if more then
>>> Ctrl-Alt-F[something] (work your way through them all).
>>
>> In normal operation there are close to a dozen terminal sessions,
>> five or six windows with a few tabs each. I've seen no indication
>> the machine is low on resources. It's an 8 GB Pi4, could that be
>> too much for it? I've never noticed the machine swapping, ever.
>> I just noticed I haven't set up a hardware swap partition, so
>> all it has is the 100 MB swapfile set up in the image file.
>
> I'd guess some sort of bug in the GPU driver is bing triggered, or
> maybe the GPU itself in your Pi4 is getting flaky.

No problems in the past day, with chrome running nytimes.com, youtube,
animated weather imagery and occasional forays on amazon. I still
harbor a predjudice that nytimes.com is at least part of the trouble,
but repeatable evidence is exceedingly scarce..

>>> If you're running Wayland instead of X, then I've got no idea.
>>>

>> I'm running whatever is default for 64 bit RasPiOS. Is there some
>> way to check if Wayland's in use?
>
> Check "ps -A | grep Xorg" returns a match, or run "xdpyinfo" in a
> graphical terminal window and see if it spits out lots of info. I
> don't think Wayland would be default though, so X should be a safe
> assumption.

I get
bob@raspberrypi:~ $ ps -A | grep Xorg
1624 tty1 01:21:14 Xorg
bob@raspberrypi:~ $ ps -A | grep wayland
bob@raspberrypi:~ $
so I guess it's Xorg.

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska

Re: Getting out of a stuck desktop

<u0lckd$723o$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6322&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#6322

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 03:00:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 03:00 UTC

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-bullseye-update-april-2022/
>
> Don't find anything newer.

This just out, maybe it'll help:
ghostscript libgs9 libgs9-common linux-libc-dev raspberrypi-bootloader
raspberrypi-kernel
6 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Fingers crossed, along with all other appendages 8-)

bob prohaska