From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game:Brothers
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:03:33 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 16:03 UTC

Another week, another free game. Will this torment of constant
generosity never end? Suffer the wrath of Epic by accepting this
week's offering:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons

"Brothers" is a largely forgettable game; it's typical Indie fare,
with a mix of interesting ideas and unpolished mechanics. Guide a
couple of young boys (the eponymous brothers) through a fantastical
world to find the magical cure for their ailing dad.

The game's gimmick is that you control both the kids simultaneously
(it can be played with mouse/keyboard but a gamepad is very strongly
recommended). You need to maneuver them both into appropriate
positions to solve the simple, often physics-based puzzles. It's not a
very challenging game and strives mightily to tug on the heart-strings
(often so obviously it is to the detriment of the emotions it wants to
provoke), but ultimately the game lacks impact. It's not really a bad
game - other than perhaps its lack of difficulty - but it doesn't
really do anything memorable either, and its dual-control gimmick is
more annoying than innovative.

Play it, or don't, but you have a week to claim it on the Epic Game
Store before it's gone.

Re: Free Game:Brothers

<suncfu$c0f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6324&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6324

From: no_m...@zzzyahoo.yycom (Noman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game:Brothers
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 21:57:17 -0800
 by: Noman - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 05:57 UTC

On 2/17/2022 8:03 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Another week, another free game. Will this torment of constant
> generosity never end? Suffer the wrath of Epic by accepting this
> week's offering:
>
> Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons
>
> "Brothers" is a largely forgettable game; it's typical Indie fare,
> with a mix of interesting ideas and unpolished mechanics. Guide a
> couple of young boys (the eponymous brothers) through a fantastical
> world to find the magical cure for their ailing dad.

It's a great game with a fantastic ending. Without spoiling anything,
the change in gameplay at the end is just amazing in its meaning and
impact. I can't think of any game ever, which integrated what you
feel near the end, back into the game mecahnics, and this well.

Though, the game needs to be played with a controller. It won't have
the same impact with other controls.
--
Noman