REST: P: Linus Torvalds S: Buried alive in email -- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible LairSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible LairAnt
|`- Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible LairSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible LairGeeknix
|`- Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible LairNoman
`- Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible LairWerner P.

1
Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

<20uovgllviv0381s40ptkralh0ojqu925f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6140&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6140

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 19:57:15 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 00:57 UTC

Oops. I totally forgot it's Thursday. That's the day I announce the
free games on Epic Game Store (it's also, quite conveniently, the day
Epic gives away a free game on their store. Funny how things work
out).

So, this week we get:

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair

Which, you know, they already offered as a freebie back in December
2019. No complaints; a free game is a free game, even if it's one I
already have.

I can't say I'm a fan of this game, but then I never really cared for
the turn-of-the-millennium 3D mascot platformers this franchises so
closely emulates. Still, if that sort of game is your thing - if you
can't get enough of the "Super Mario 3Ds" or the "Spyro the Dragons"
or the "Crash Bandicoots", "Yooka-Laylee" is considered an admirable
continuation of the genre. Lots of running and jumping and cutesie
animals in mildly amusing situations. And even if you don't like it,
your kids might, so grab it anyway.

Assuming you haven't added it to your library yet, you have a week
until it's gone.

Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

<8u-dnXFbG7yYM2H8nZ2dnUU7-a_NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6144&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6144

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 22:39:33 -0600
 by: Ant - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 04:39 UTC

That's OK. I forgot too. My life got too BUSY again. :(

--
:) (L/C)NY (h2o tiger) & Black History Mo. Dang tiredness, sickness, bodies, works, times, colony, nest, tech, life, issues, etc. When will this groundhog day end? :(
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

<q0hpvg9n1bv6hiaqffe48nv3j41dctl307@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6149&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6149

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 01:16:18 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 06:16 UTC

On Thu, 03 Feb 2022 22:39:33 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>That's OK. I forgot too. My life got too BUSY again. :(

Heh. When I finally realized what day it was and how I'd missed my
usual post, my first thought was, "Oh well, no matter; I'm sure Ant
took up the slack."

Then I refreshed the newsgroup and saw you hadn't. I was actually
rather shocked; you're usually so fast at picking up the slack.

(Then I was relieved, because it let me announce it myself, which
gives me an opportunity to add in my usual snarky comments. I need to
snark at least once every four hours or I burst. It's a medical
condition. ;-)

Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

<slrnsvskgf.5ut.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6159&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6159

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 10:31:43 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 10:31 UTC

On 2022-02-04, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair
>
> can't get enough of the "Super Mario 3Ds" or the "Spyro the Dragons"
> or the "Crash Bandicoots", "Yooka-Laylee" is considered an admirable
Ok, you named three of my favourite games there. So adding to my list of
unplayed games for my retirement.

Thx.

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--

Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

<stm8be$vnv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6163&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6163

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 17:24:14 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 16:24 UTC

Am 04.02.22 um 01:57 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> Lots of running and jumping and cutesie
> animals in mildly amusing situations. And even if you don't like it,
> your kids might, so grab it anyway.
The game is 2.5d in this case, comparable to the Donkey Kong country
games... The first one was a continuation of Banjo Kazooie, basically a
game I never really cared about.

Re: Free Game; Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

<suneaj$sic$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6327&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6327

From: no_m...@zzzyahoo.yycom (Noman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 22:28:33 -0800
 by: Noman - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 06:28 UTC

On 2/5/2022 2:31 AM, Geeknix wrote:
> On 2022-02-04, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
>> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair
>>
>> can't get enough of the "Super Mario 3Ds" or the "Spyro the Dragons"
>> or the "Crash Bandicoots", "Yooka-Laylee" is considered an admirable
> Ok, you named three of my favourite games there. So adding to my list of
> unplayed games for my retirement.

Yooka Laylee games most resemble the Banjo Kazooie titles that came out
in late 90s and early 2000s. They are created by the same designers.

I'd say both Yooka Laylee are medium to good platformers, that I'd
recommend, for anyone who likes such games. Both have a particular
gameplay feature, where every world and level can be experienced in
more than one way. That is, the outerworld, which connects these
worlds (and sometime the worlds themselves) have collectables which
change or expand the levels completely. For example a water world
can be frozen, so it becomes an ice world, with its own sets of
puzzles.

The first Yooka Laylee game was a 3D platformer, however this
Impossible Layer sequel is a side scroller like Rayman Origins.

By the way another game that you can grab, if it ever is available
on sale, or offered for free, is Yoku's Island Express. It's a
very strange and entertaining mix of platformer, metroidvania,
and, of all things, straight-up pinball elements. Graphics are
excellent too, as they are with Yooka Laylee games.
--
Noman