The nation that controls magnetism controls the universe. -- Chester Gould/Dick Tracy

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

SubjectAuthor
* Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?RayLopez99
`* Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?Paul
 `* Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?RayLopez99
  `* Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?Paul
   `* Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?RayLopez99
    `* Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?RayLopez99
     `* Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?Bob F
      `- Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?Paul

1
Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

<e629daec-9f78-401b-9485-e362c7edbc41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=614&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#614

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:36:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 03:36 UTC

I'm wondering if anybody tried to follow this article* and has any luck on an Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit? The PC is old (Core 2 Duo from 2008) but it is a x64 chip

*Article: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10

Despite clicking on "No activation key" and even inputting the old Activation Key for Windows 10 - 32 bit, the program keeps saying it cannot proceed. I did download the installation ISO and it does boot up,and allow me to get to the third or fourth screen, "Activate Windows" but it fails (even if I check "I Don't Have A Product Key" or even if I enter the real product key for 32 bit Win11) with the message "Couldn't Verify the Product Key. Please Check Your Installation Media".

I am trying to see if Windows 11 is worthwhile, using a hack found on YouTube for old PCs, but you need to have Windows 10 - 64 bit version for the hack to work.

RL

Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

<so2tqi$phk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=616&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#616

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:06:29 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:06 UTC

On 11/28/2021 10:36 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody tried to follow this article* and has any luck on an Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit? The PC is old (Core 2 Duo from 2008) but it is a x64 chip
>
> *Article: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10
>

> Despite clicking on "No activation key" and even inputting the old Activation Key for Windows 10 - 32 bit, the program keeps saying it cannot proceed. I did download the installation ISO and it does boot up,and allow me to get to the third or fourth screen, "Activate Windows" but it fails (even if I check "I Don't Have A Product Key" or even if I enter the real product key for 32 bit Win11) with the message "Couldn't Verify the Product Key. Please Check Your Installation Media".
>
> I am trying to see if Windows 11 is worthwhile, using a hack found on YouTube for old PCs, but you need to have Windows 10 - 64 bit version for the hack to work.
>
> RL

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/vm2n6JST/welcome-to-win11.gif

I'd stick with Windows 10 if I were you.

That's a Windows 11 on a machine meeting all hardware requirements.
The disk has a couple versions, a 22000 Release Windows 11 and
the one in the picture, which is Insider Windows 11 (Dev branch).
I Upgrade Installed the Dev Branch C: and it still would
not clear the Windows Update problem.

I used to have a 2008 E8400 machine like yours, but a month ago
the motherboard died (likely an out-of-spec voltage regulator
damaged the chipset). The CPU and RAM are still good, but there
isn't much to choose from in motherboards. The Windows 11 in
the picture, is running on the new (AMD) motherboard.

You will soon get tired of that right-click Context Menu, when
you want to copy something using the menu.

Paul

Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

<c5dd3ea4-84d5-43cb-bbc4-18f20feb11b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=620&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#620

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:12:38 -0800 (PST)
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 00:12 UTC

Paul! Good to hear from you again, I thought almost this board was dead, seeing only Flying Starbucks and the Waverly? guy missing.

I have some comments below, of interest to complete the thread.

1) there's a YouTuber with a workaround for older machines during a Windows install at REFERENCE 1. The goal for me is to install Windows x64 (clean reinstall) from a licensed x32 Windows Home ver, then Windows 11 (maybe)

2) philosophical question: given the October 14th, 2025 End Of Life date for Windows 10, and given I have a year 2008 mobo and chip set (though the SSD is newer), what is the probability the desktop will last another 4 years, given it's already 13 years old? I'm in Washington DC with this system (I'm often overseas but not now) and they have fierce thunderstorms and power spikes during said storms. Is this system on its last legs, statistically speaking? If so, why bother with an upgrade...

3) any advantage of Windows 10 x64 over Windows 10 x32? Other than a clean reinstall which gets rid of some bloatware, what advantage? None I can think of at the moment. The thinking is this: even if I don't like Windows 11 I can stay with Windows 10 x64 assuming they, Microsoft, won't charge me a new license for upgrading from Windows 10 x32 Home to the x64 version. I don't have any programs that need 64 bit btw, just curious if there's any downside once I run the hack at REFERENCE 1 (which I think is why I cannot install Windows 10, x64 on this old system having Windows 10, x32 bit Home version).

Apropos of nothing, around 2007 or so I managed to persuade my family to buy $30k of Microsoft...it's now $500k and we're holding (should double in ten years or so). So I agree that "Microsoft sucks" at times, but I'm fully compensated for any such suckery. Don't get mad, get even. I also think BABA and INTC are buys at the moment, and in ten years time will tell.

I'll hold off trying the backs at REFERENCE 1 below to upgrade to Windows 10 x64 bit, which require Registry changes which are always problematic even with backup, until I might hear back from you in a few days.

RL

REFERENCE 1 (which are for hacks to upgrade to Windows 11 on older machines but I suspect the same problem and same hack exists to upgrade from Windows 10 x32 to Windows 10 x64 on older machines):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLLTasT778g @4:00 mark must enable UEFI, Secure Boot, and disable CSM in BIOS to install Windows 11 Clean install

A workaround is also given

Windows 11 work around

Shift + F10

regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

Right Click The Setup folder

select new Key

name it "LabConfig"

Right Click LabConfig

select new "DWORD (32-bit) Value"

name the key "BypassTPMCheck"

double click the key

set value to 1

****If you have an unsupported CPU also do this instead****

To bypass the TPM check and the cpu check

select new "DWORD (32-bit) Value"

name the key "AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"

Right Click "LabConfig"

Select New "DWORD (32-bit) Value"

name it "BypassSecureBootCheck"

double click the key

set value to 1

Install windows 11

To bypass the TPM check and the cpu check

select new "DWORD (32-bit) Value"

name the key "AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"

double click the key

set value: 1

On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 11:06:44 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
> On 11/28/2021 10:36 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anybody tried to follow this article* and has any luck on an Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit? The PC is old (Core 2 Duo from 2008) but it is a x64 chip
> >
> > *Article: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10
> >

> > Despite clicking on "No activation key" and even inputting the old Activation Key for Windows 10 - 32 bit, the program keeps saying it cannot proceed. I did download the installation ISO and it does boot up,and allow me to get to the third or fourth screen, "Activate Windows" but it fails (even if I check "I Don't Have A Product Key" or even if I enter the real product key for 32 bit Win11) with the message "Couldn't Verify the Product Key. Please Check Your Installation Media".
> >
> > I am trying to see if Windows 11 is worthwhile, using a hack found on YouTube for old PCs, but you need to have Windows 10 - 64 bit version for the hack to work.
> >
> > RL
> >
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/vm2n6JST/welcome-to-win11.gif
>
> I'd stick with Windows 10 if I were you.
>
> That's a Windows 11 on a machine meeting all hardware requirements.
> The disk has a couple versions, a 22000 Release Windows 11 and
> the one in the picture, which is Insider Windows 11 (Dev branch).
> I Upgrade Installed the Dev Branch C: and it still would
> not clear the Windows Update problem.
>
> I used to have a 2008 E8400 machine like yours, but a month ago
> the motherboard died (likely an out-of-spec voltage regulator
> damaged the chipset). The CPU and RAM are still good, but there
> isn't much to choose from in motherboards. The Windows 11 in
> the picture, is running on the new (AMD) motherboard.
>
> You will soon get tired of that right-click Context Menu, when
> you want to copy something using the menu.
>
> Paul

Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

<so4n37$q1h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=622&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#622

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 03:23:49 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 08:23 UTC

On 11/29/2021 7:12 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> [...]
>
> SYSTEM
>
> Right Click The Setup folder
>
> select new Key
>
> name it "LabConfig"
>
> Right Click LabConfig
>
> select new "DWORD (32-bit) Value"
>
> name the key "BypassTPMCheck"
>
> double click the key
>
> set value to 1
>
> ****If you have an unsupported CPU also do this instead****
>
> To bypass the TPM check and the cpu check
>
> select new "DWORD (32-bit) Value"
>
> name the key "AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"
>
> Right Click "LabConfig"
>
> Select New "DWORD (32-bit) Value"
>
> name it "BypassSecureBootCheck"
>
> double click the key
>
> set value to 1
>
> Install windows 11
>
> To bypass the TPM check and the cpu check
>
> select new "DWORD (32-bit) Value"
>
> name the key "AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"

You can do this, using a single Windows 10 activation entry on their server.
This is dual boot, and the boot window will have two entries. if you
want the x64 one, it would be the second in the list.

+-------+-----------+-----------+
| MBR | Win10 x86 | Win10 x64 |
+-------+-----------+-----------+

But the Win11 is a UEFI/GPT x64 only kind of animal. It's
not clear whether it likes to be legacy booted. Does Secure Boot
work with Legacy ? Dunno. You might trick it into not Secure Booting,
but why would the hacks defeat UEFI ?

Part of the evidence of its "preference", would be to
scan the DVD to see if it is a Hybrid or not. It looks like
the Windows11 DVD is the same as the Windows10 DVD in structure.
Which means it should be able to boot on your 2008 machine before
it tells you to "piss off" :-) Doing an Upgrade Install using
the Setup.exe off the DVD, while you were running Windows 10,
that would afford opportunities for hacking the install to bypass
checks. If you boot the DVD, then it would be "fully armed" to
do the HealthCheck.

*******
L:\>disktype Windows11_x64.iso

--- Windows11_x64.iso
Regular file, size 4.164 GiB (4471455744 bytes)
UDF file system
Sector size 2048 bytes
Volume name "ESD-ISO"
UDF version 1.02
ISO9660 file system
Volume name "ESD_ISO"
Preparer "IMAPI2 (1.0) ISO9660 FORMATTER COPYRIGHT (C) 2004-2007 MICROSOFT"
Data size 4.164 GiB (4470894592 bytes, 2183054 blocks of 2 KiB)
El Torito boot record, catalog at 1453
Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 1454, preloads 4 KiB
Platform 0x00 (x86), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 1456, preloads 1.406 MiB (1474560 bytes)
Platform 0xEF (EFI), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
Windows / MS-DOS boot loader
FAT12 file system (hints score 5 of 5)
Volume size 1.390 MiB (1457664 bytes, 2847 clusters of 512 bytes)
Volume name "EFISECTOR"

L:\>disktype Windows10x64__Pro__21H2.iso

--- Windows10x64__Pro__21H2.iso
Regular file, size 4.285 GiB (4600823808 bytes)
UDF file system
Sector size 2048 bytes
Volume name "ESD-ISO"
UDF version 1.02
ISO9660 file system
Volume name "ESD_ISO"
Preparer "IMAPI2 (1.0) ISO9660 FORMATTER COPYRIGHT (C) 2004-2007 MICROSOFT"
Data size 4.284 GiB (4600240128 bytes, 2246211 blocks of 2 KiB)
El Torito boot record, catalog at 1404
Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 1405, preloads 4 KiB
Platform 0x00 (x86), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 1407, preloads 1.406 MiB (1474560 bytes)
Platform 0xEF (EFI), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
Windows / MS-DOS boot loader
FAT12 file system (hints score 5 of 5)
Volume size 1.390 MiB (1457664 bytes, 2847 clusters of 512 bytes)
Volume name "EFISECTOR"
*******

One mechanism for hacking the install, was to take a Win10 ISO and
tear out the install.esd and replace it with the install.esd from the
Windows 11 ISO. Or something along those lines. The idea being, the
HealthCheck code would be "missing" if the ISO was repackaged that way.

Also, since a mounted ISO is just a folder full of files, there's not
even a reason to use remastering software. You can just throw shit in
a folder with the Setup.exe .

But my philosophy on stuff like this, is sooner or later (two years),
the support for hacked instances will disappear and your Windows Update
will stop or something.

You can see in my provided picture, my Windows Update is "borked",
and I'm not in a mood to go on some sort of "mission" to fix it.
I just do Upgrade Installs over top, to keep it "current", which is
good enough. But at least there is no excuse for this, as my
hardware is fully compliant (I have a little plugin TPM and everything).

Paul

Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

<86f281d5-cafe-4244-ba4b-d3ab52b49fcdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=626&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#626

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:11:37 -0800 (PST)
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 02:11 UTC

> But my philosophy on stuff like this, is sooner or later (two years),
> the support for hacked instances will disappear and your Windows Update
> will stop or something.

I think that's enough for me to stop trying to upgrade to Windows 11...and I don't have a plugin TPM.

I'll just use Windows 10 - 32 bit for the next four years until it dies, or until fall of 2025, whichever comes first.

RL

Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

<60bc646c-6995-4ebf-8bcf-abd6f8c0497en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=627&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#627

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:39:52 -0800 (PST)
From: raylope...@gmail.com (RayLopez99)
 by: RayLopez99 - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 02:39 UTC

On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 9:11:39 PM UTC-5, RayLopez99 wrote:
> > But my philosophy on stuff like this, is sooner or later (two years),
> > the support for hacked instances will disappear and your Windows Update
> > will stop or something.
> I think that's enough for me to stop trying to upgrade to Windows 11...and I don't have a plugin TPM.
>
> I'll just use Windows 10 - 32 bit for the next four years until it dies, or until fall of 2025, whichever comes first.
>
> RL

Some more thoughts on CPU failure rates below, apparently it's very rare. So I guess the capacitors on the motherboard might go out before the CPU or SSD fails. - RL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAww0c2m-ks

4152 hours of Ryzen Long Term Testing: We have Good and Bad News

@13:35 mark

The YouTuber gamer overclocked a Ryzen chip with higher voltages and frequencies (overclocking generally requires higher voltages, see here: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/343129/how-voltage-is-related-to-frequency-in-cpu)

He did so continuously for about 4152 hours (roughly 3-5 years of 'normal use' he says)

At the 13:35 mark he makes the statement that with normal use a CPU will last about 7 to 10 years while your overclocked CPU lasts for 5 years.

So this is a rule of thumb but further research says:

https://serverfault.com/questions/64956/what-is-the-average-lifespan-of-a-cpu

"I heard that if you leave a computer on 24/7 at 100% utilization, the CPU is expected to last around 3-4 years. Is there any truth to this claim?"

Answer 1: " Usage of a CPU does result in wear at the atomic/electronic level. The actual lifespan of the silicon transistors of a consumer CPU is typically in the range of 20-30 years before there is a failure, not 3-4years"

The actual lifespan of the silicon transistors of a consumer CPU is typically in the range of 20-30 years before there is a failure, not 3-4years. It is asssumed by then that the item would be obsolete.

How does Intel/AMD know if there's no way to test a chip for 30years? It is tested under load under higher than normal conditions (heat voltage, clock) and the variables and failure data are then extrapolated and calculated backwards for typical use.

Of course there are other failure points such as the chip packaging wires and things of that nature, but low decades would be a fair assumption.

3-4 years is more of the practical obsolescence of the product due to Moore's law and all that.

Source: Masters degree in EE, and learned in a course on chip failure design.

Answer 2: Your power supply, CPU fan and hard disk will all die long before your CPU. They're the three parts likely to fail. CPUs aren't that well known for failing.

Answer 3:

Typically the CPU is one of the most reliable parts of the PC. You stand a better chance of a failure of the CPU's fan, the system powersupply, the hard drive, or the motherboard before the CPU fails.

That being said, I recently had a string of CPU "failures" a few months back. We were running Intel Celerons in a production environment for a period of several years. I'm going to guess around 3-4 years.

I say "failures" in quotes because none of them ever actually DIED to the point where they system wouldn't boot.

One started doing "bad math", one started running REALLY HOT (so we took it out before it died), and one would boot up perfectly normal except that the screen display would eventually be whacked out and display random characters, etc. That one was the most interesting one as I've never seen anything quite like it in all my career. At first I blamed the mobo and we replaced it with an identical one. It wasn't the mobo... it was definitely the CPU as we put that same CPU in three identical mobos and got the same problem in all three. I have no explanation for it.

So, while its unlikely to experience CPU failure... it CAN and DOES happen. Just remember, in most cases... (at least in my experience) its usually one of the LAST things to go.

I have seen countless old systems still running perfectly fine after years and years and years. answered Sep 14 '09 at 3:44

Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

<so6pgu$13l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=628&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#628

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 19:17:48 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 03:17 UTC

On 11/30/2021 6:39 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> [...]
>
> So, while its unlikely to experience CPU failure... it CAN and DOES happen. Just remember, in most cases... (at least in my experience) its usually one of the LAST things to go.
>
> I have seen countless old systems still running perfectly fine after years and years and years. answered Sep 14 '09 at 3:44

I have had several motherboard failures, and a couple power supply
failures, but never a processor failure. And virtually all my processors
were acquired used. My primary PC runs 24/7 year after year.

Re: Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit fail?

<so72go$93j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=633&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#633

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 00:50:58 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 05:50 UTC

On 11/30/2021 10:17 PM, Bob F wrote:

> I have had several motherboard failures, and a couple power supply failures,
> but never a processor failure. And virtually all my processors were acquired
> used. My primary PC runs 24/7 year after year.

Electromigration is part of component failure. At the factory, they
define the operating frequency, with some margin to the point at
which this would be a problem. That's probably why lots of people
have never ever seen a CPU fail.

This article has some pictures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

"In advanced semiconductor manufacturing processes, copper has
replaced aluminium as the interconnect material of choice. Despite
its greater fragility in the fabrication process, copper is preferred
for its superior conductivity. It is also intrinsically less susceptible
to electromigration. However, electromigration (EM) continues to be an
ever-present challenge to device fabrication, and therefore the
EM research for copper interconnects is ongoing (though a relatively
new field).[6] <=== a relatively dated description, but still valid...

In modern consumer electronic devices, ICs rarely fail due to
electromigration effects. This is because proper semiconductor
design practices incorporate the effects of electromigration into
the IC's layout.[6] Nearly all IC design houses use automated EDA
tools to check and correct electromigration problems at the transistor
layout-level. When operated within the manufacturer's specified
temperature and voltage range, a properly designed IC device is more
likely to fail from other (environmental) causes, such as cumulative
damage from gamma-ray bombardment."

A rat-eaten mess like this could result in a "speed fault",
where the device no longer runs at the stock frequency.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Leiterbahn_ausfallort_elektromigration.jpg/330px-Leiterbahn_ausfallort_elektromigration.jpg

I have occasionally discovered threads, where the description
of the participants, is consistent with electromigration failure,
so I believe it does happen. But once you look into which
product was failing like that, usually the fab has hit a
brick wall, and they've been abusing the same process for
a number of years. Think of failures in such cases, to be
moral bankruptcy. But as long as the fab people keep
improving what they do, and they're not "stuck" or
"out of funds", the newly minted processors really should
go for a long long time. I wouldn't be surprised if a 6502
could run for a hundred years for example. No reason
for it not to.

I would really like to know what they use in place of straight
copper today, as it's likely something pretty exotic. OK, example...

https://cen.acs.org/materials/electronic-materials/Ruthenium-rewire-computer-chips/96/web/2018/07

"Ruthenium could rewire computer chips..."

That sound exotic enough.

Paul