From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: I have found the offending setting
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:10:18 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 03:10 UTC

I have been trying to change the font size on my W7 machine for a
while. It started with the spell check box in Agent and that comes
from Windows. I have been down the personalize>window color rabbit
hole. Everything that is there is now set to 12P. Most of the display
is 12P.
I can change everything but "Window" font. (bottom of the pull down
list)
I made "Window" a hideous color and proved that is the one that stays
8p. Agent picks it up and it shows up here and there in Windows it
shows up in Freecell in the message box. Sometimes the ugly color text
is 12P if the application respects my request for 12P, most of the
time it is 8P.
Is this buried in the registry somewhere and they don't have a GUI to
get to it?
BTW if you never played with these settings, it is amazing how
different things pick them up. I was mixing up the colors to verify
what I was changing and lots of strange stuff changes in your normal
use.
You have to be careful. Sometimes the software will pick a font color
from one selection and background from another. You can end up with
black on black.

Re: I have found the offending setting

<1lrjzy35kk75v$.1x7fzvylxlxxl.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6349&group=alt.windows7.general#6349

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: I have found the offending setting
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:22:02 +0700
 by: JJ - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:22 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:10:18 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> I have been trying to change the font size on my W7 machine for a
> while. It started with the spell check box in Agent and that comes
> from Windows. I have been down the personalize>window color rabbit
> hole. Everything that is there is now set to 12P. Most of the display
> is 12P.
> I can change everything but "Window" font. (bottom of the pull down
> list)
> I made "Window" a hideous color and proved that is the one that stays
> 8p. Agent picks it up and it shows up here and there in Windows it
> shows up in Freecell in the message box. Sometimes the ugly color text
> is 12P if the application respects my request for 12P, most of the
> time it is 8P.
> Is this buried in the registry somewhere and they don't have a GUI to
> get to it?
> BTW if you never played with these settings, it is amazing how
> different things pick them up. I was mixing up the colors to verify
> what I was changing and lots of strange stuff changes in your normal
> use.
> You have to be careful. Sometimes the software will pick a font color
> from one selection and background from another. You can end up with
> black on black.

The settings are in the registry, but for the font settings, they are in
binary and not supposed to be edited by hand.

The dialog for the settings is kind of hidden.

Open the Control Panel and type in (no quote) "metric" into the search box.

Choose "Change window colors and metrics".

Re: I have found the offending setting

<RJ3yajUHHwkkFwp6@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6350&group=alt.windows7.general#6350

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:57:27 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:57 UTC

In message <1lrjzy35kk75v$.1x7fzvylxlxxl.dlg@40tude.net> at Wed, 21 Jun
2023 16:22:02, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> writes
>On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:10:18 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> I have been trying to change the font size on my W7 machine for a
>> while. It started with the spell check box in Agent and that comes
>> from Windows. I have been down the personalize>window color rabbit
>> hole. Everything that is there is now set to 12P. Most of the display
>> is 12P.
>> I can change everything but "Window" font. (bottom of the pull down
>> list)
>> I made "Window" a hideous color and proved that is the one that stays
>> 8p. Agent picks it up and it shows up here and there in Windows it
>> shows up in Freecell in the message box. Sometimes the ugly color text
>> is 12P if the application respects my request for 12P, most of the
>> time it is 8P.
>> Is this buried in the registry somewhere and they don't have a GUI to
>> get to it?
>> BTW if you never played with these settings, it is amazing how
>> different things pick them up. I was mixing up the colors to verify
>> what I was changing and lots of strange stuff changes in your normal
>> use.
>> You have to be careful. Sometimes the software will pick a font color
>> from one selection and background from another. You can end up with
>> black on black.
>
>The settings are in the registry, but for the font settings, they are in
>binary and not supposed to be edited by hand.
>
>The dialog for the settings is kind of hidden.
>
>Open the Control Panel and type in (no quote) "metric" into the search box.
>
>Choose "Change window colors and metrics".

If you read where gfretwell says 'I can change everything but "Window"
font. (bottom of the pull down list)', you'd see that he's already using
that (-:

(please reply to group - they also serve who only look and lurk)
(William Allen, 1999 - after Milton, of course)

Re: I have found the offending setting

<siqwjot7o9ww$.1xtdcrj2nkegu$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6351&group=alt.windows7.general#6351

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:30:42 +0700
 by: JJ - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 01:30 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:57:27 +0100, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <1lrjzy35kk75v$.1x7fzvylxlxxl.dlg@40tude.net> at Wed, 21 Jun
> 2023 16:22:02, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> writes
>>On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:10:18 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>>> I have been trying to change the font size on my W7 machine for a
>>> while. It started with the spell check box in Agent and that comes
>>> from Windows. I have been down the personalize>window color rabbit
>>> hole. Everything that is there is now set to 12P. Most of the display
>>> is 12P.
>>> I can change everything but "Window" font. (bottom of the pull down
>>> list)
>>> I made "Window" a hideous color and proved that is the one that stays
>>> 8p. Agent picks it up and it shows up here and there in Windows it
>>> shows up in Freecell in the message box. Sometimes the ugly color text
>>> is 12P if the application respects my request for 12P, most of the
>>> time it is 8P.
>>> Is this buried in the registry somewhere and they don't have a GUI to
>>> get to it?
>>> BTW if you never played with these settings, it is amazing how
>>> different things pick them up. I was mixing up the colors to verify
>>> what I was changing and lots of strange stuff changes in your normal
>>> use.
>>> You have to be careful. Sometimes the software will pick a font color
>>> from one selection and background from another. You can end up with
>>> black on black.
>>
>>The settings are in the registry, but for the font settings, they are in
>>binary and not supposed to be edited by hand.
>>
>>The dialog for the settings is kind of hidden.
>>
>>Open the Control Panel and type in (no quote) "metric" into the search box.
>>
>>Choose "Change window colors and metrics".
>
> If you read where gfretwell says 'I can change everything but "Window"
> font. (bottom of the pull down list)', you'd see that he's already using
> that (-:

Ah... that.

The window text is same as the window title bar.

The font for active title tar, inactive title bar, and window text, share
the same setting.

Re: I have found the offending setting

<vl199ipl3o1konebruif4k50lu2a7ve0up@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6352&group=alt.windows7.general#6352

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:41:06 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 17:41 UTC

On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:30:42 +0700, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:57:27 +0100, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <1lrjzy35kk75v$.1x7fzvylxlxxl.dlg@40tude.net> at Wed, 21 Jun
>> 2023 16:22:02, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> writes
>>>
>>>The settings are in the registry, but for the font settings, they are in
>>>binary and not supposed to be edited by hand.
>>>
>>>The dialog for the settings is kind of hidden.
>>>
>>>Open the Control Panel and type in (no quote) "metric" into the search box.
>>>
>>>Choose "Change window colors and metrics".
>>
>> If you read where gfretwell says 'I can change everything but "Window"
>> font. (bottom of the pull down list)', you'd see that he's already using
>> that (-:
>
>Ah... that.
>
>The window text is same as the window title bar.
>
>The font for active title tar, inactive title bar, and window text, share
>the same setting.

The problem is the default setting for that font is 8P but anything
can change it. Lots of things do. (like title bars) Unfortunately if
it is lifted straight from the setting it is 8P. I guess I will just
start wading through the registry and see if I can find where the
default is set. I can't believe I am the first person to look for
this.