From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Misc. results of going away
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 08:51:41 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:51 UTC

micky wrote:

> I just got home from a 4-month trip ...
<snipped the diary drivel>
> ... when I went to the desk to listen to WAMU, The Big Broadcast ...
<snipped>
> ... the computer was already on and it was recording the show. Huh?
> Turns out, Radiomaximus did just what I wanted it to do but was never
> sure if it did it. With the right settings, even when the computer
> is off, the paid version (not expensive) will turn it on, record what
> it's set for, ...

Look up "rtc alarm". It's part of the BIOS/UEFI to allow software to
schedule an alarm that wakes the computer.

> ... and I think turn off the computer (That's one of the settings, but
> I see that I didn't set it. I guess my pc was on for 4 months. Darn.

You not using the setting to turn the computer off after the recording
event was your fault.

You paid for Radiomax, but they don't let you listen to past shows, so
you have to record them locally? Just what did you pay for?

> I remember now: I have it set that way so that it won't turn off when
> I'm sitting here at 11PM on a Sunday. I should have changed it before
> I left.

Or unplug the power cord going to the computer.

> I was gone for 17 weeks and I have 17 4-hour recordings. It will take
> me a long time to play them all.

https://www.google.com/search?q=radiomax

That returns hits on mobile app development, iOS and Android apps,
RadioMax *Music*, and other hits. "RadioMax" is not sufficient to know
what you're talking about. Your "computer" is running iOS or Android to
use the RadioMax apps?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/radiomax-app/id1343860360
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smarttones.radiomax
(You didn't provide the URL to the app, so I had to guess from a
search.)

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/search/radiomax didn't find an app
appropriate for the Windows 10 platform which is the topic of the
alt.comp.os.windows-10 newsgroup. I did find a Windows app at
https://napkforpc.com/apk/com.smarttones.radiomax/, but that would
require you disable security regarding from where to install apps and
avoid having to comply with Microsoft policies to ensure apps are safe
(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/store-policies).
That site says their APK is free. Just what did you pay for? To get
rid of ads in the crapware free version?

Since you are posting in the Windows 10 newsgroup, presumably /that/
computer is running Windows 10 (some edition unknown, some bitwidth
unknown, some feature build unknown - typical of your posts to not
provide details).

And *what has all of this have to do with the alt.home.repair newsgroup*
to which you cross-posted (and which I removed in my reply since this
discussion is OFF-TOPIC to that newsgroup)?

Re: Misc. results of going away

<icafahtq2f6omg5btlqcof17k8duv33jjd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63659&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63659

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 17:28:23 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 21:28 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 08:51:41 -0500,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I just got home from a 4-month trip ...
><snipped the diary drivel>
>> ... when I went to the desk to listen to WAMU, The Big Broadcast ...
><snipped>
>> ... the computer was already on and it was recording the show. Huh?
>> Turns out, Radiomaximus did just what I wanted it to do but was never
>> sure if it did it. With the right settings, even when the computer
>> is off, the paid version (not expensive) will turn it on, record what
>> it's set for, ...
>
>Look up "rtc alarm". It's part of the BIOS/UEFI to allow software to
>schedule an alarm that wakes the computer.
>
>> ... and I think turn off the computer (That's one of the settings, but
>> I see that I didn't set it. I guess my pc was on for 4 months. Darn.
>
>You not using the setting to turn the computer off after the recording
>event was your fault.

I know. I think I admitted it.

>You paid for Radiomax, but they don't let you listen to past shows, so
>you have to record them locally? Just what did you pay for?

The only extra feature compared to the free version is the ability to
play and record timed broadcasts, or maybe just to record them, but
either way, it was well worth the small amount of money that he charges.

The free version already has lots of features, but you asked what I paid
for.

>> I remember now: I have it set that way so that it won't turn off when
>> I'm sitting here at 11PM on a Sunday. I should have changed it before
>> I left.
>
>Or unplug the power cord going to the computer.

Actually, I wanted it to record the show. I'd just forgotten that it
might. I also was working aon a routine to print a printer page ever 3
weeks, but last time I went away for 3 months and the printer still
worked fine, so maybe Idon't need that. It might cycle itself.

>> I was gone for 17 weeks and I have 17 4-hour recordings. It will take
>> me a long time to play them all.
>
>https://www.google.com/search?q=radiomax

Radiomaximus .

>That returns hits on mobile app development, iOS and Android apps,
>RadioMax *Music*, and other hits. "RadioMax" is not sufficient to know
>what you're talking about. Your "computer" is running iOS or Android to
>use the RadioMax apps?
>
>https://apps.apple.com/us/app/radiomax-app/id1343860360
>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smarttones.radiomax
>(You didn't provide the URL to the app, so I had to guess from a
>search.)

But you truncated it, dropped the imus.

>https://apps.microsoft.com/store/search/radiomax didn't find an app
>appropriate for the Windows 10 platform which is the topic of the
>alt.comp.os.windows-10 newsgroup. I did find a Windows app at
>https://napkforpc.com/apk/com.smarttones.radiomax/, but that would
>require you disable security regarding from where to install apps and
>avoid having to comply with Microsoft policies to ensure apps are safe
>(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/store-policies).
>That site says their APK is free. Just what did you pay for? To get
>rid of ads in the crapware free version?

Wrong program. Radiomaximus doens't have ads, even in the free version.

>Since you are posting in the Windows 10 newsgroup, presumably /that/
>computer is running Windows 10 (some edition unknown, some bitwidth
>unknown, some feature build unknown - typical of your posts to not
>provide details).

Because edition, bitwidth, features do not matter. It works with all of
them as well as XP, Vista, 7, and 8 too. Typical of your posts to ask
for details that don't matter.

>And *what has all of this have to do with the alt.home.repair newsgroup*
>to which you cross-posted (and which I removed in my reply since this
>discussion is OFF-TOPIC to that newsgroup)?

They are interested in lots of topics there, but espeically lawn mowing
and growing roses in a bag.

Re: Misc. results of going away

<fdvtocnxvu18$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63664&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63664

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 21:30:18 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 02:30 UTC

micky wrote:

> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 08:51:41 -0500,
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>https://apps.apple.com/us/app/radiomax-app/id1343860360
>>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smarttones.radiomax
>>(You didn't provide the URL to the app, so I had to guess from a
>>search.)
>
> But you truncated it, dropped the imus.

No hits on Radiomaximus at the Apple Store.
No hits on Radiomaximus at the Google Play Store.

So, just what *is* the URL to wherever you got the RadiomaxIMUS app?

A Google search on "radiomaximus" at the Microsoft Store found Rádio
Máximus FM. Well, that's 3 words with accents, so it doesn't match
whatever Radiomaximus is. A search on "radiomaximus" at the MS Store
finds nothing.

I did a Google search on "radiomaximus" to find:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/24/radiomaximus-internet-radio/

However, still no guarantee I found whatever YOU are talking about.

>>https://apps.microsoft.com/store/search/radiomax didn't find an app
>>appropriate for the Windows 10 platform which is the topic of the
>>alt.comp.os.windows-10 newsgroup. I did find a Windows app at
>>https://napkforpc.com/apk/com.smarttones.radiomax/, but that would
>>require you disable security regarding from where to install apps and
>>avoid having to comply with Microsoft policies to ensure apps are safe
>>(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/store-policies).
>>That site says their APK is free. Just what did you pay for? To get
>>rid of ads in the crapware free version?
>
> Wrong program. Radiomaximus doens't have ads, even in the free version.

Nope. Since you overtly chose to not disclose where to find the app,
any guess is the right program.

>>Since you are posting in the Windows 10 newsgroup, presumably /that/
>>computer is running Windows 10 (some edition unknown, some bitwidth
>>unknown, some feature build unknown - typical of your posts to not
>>provide details).
>
> Because edition, bitwidth, features do not matter. It works with all of
> them as well as XP, Vista, 7, and 8 too. Typical of your posts to ask
> for details that don't matter.

Wrong. Details can be important, but you refuse to provide any which is
why many netizens figure you're a troll posting about problems that
don't exist that you just makeup to waste their time.

Painting an entire house and all interior walls as black makes no
difference to the structure of the house unless you ask about the heat
load in summer. You're asking about an unidentified program running on
an lightly identified OS on unidentified hardware, and yet you expect
respondents to be on target for an unfocused inquiry.

>>And *what has all of this have to do with the alt.home.repair newsgroup*
>>to which you cross-posted (and which I removed in my reply since this
>>discussion is OFF-TOPIC to that newsgroup)?
>
> They are interested in lots of topics there, but espeically lawn mowing
> and growing roses in a bag.

So, you admit you posted off-topic to the alt.home.repair newsgroup
hence spamming it. If you cross-post to unrelated newsgroups, you
really ARE a troll.

Re: Misc. results of going away

<5qqgah968p2b764oilsgosiaa564v8ksa9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63672&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63672

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:59:56 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:59 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 21:30:18 -0500,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 08:51:41 -0500,
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>>https://apps.apple.com/us/app/radiomax-app/id1343860360
>>>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smarttones.radiomax
>>>(You didn't provide the URL to the app, so I had to guess from a
>>>search.)
>>
>> But you truncated it, dropped the imus.
>
>No hits on Radiomaximus at the Apple Store.
>No hits on Radiomaximus at the Google Play Store.

Of oourse not. We were talking about my computer and it's a program,
not an app.

>So, just what *is* the URL to wherever you got the RadiomaxIMUS app?
>
>A Google search on "radiomaximus" at the Microsoft Store found Rádio

Amd it's not a microsoft program.

>Máximus FM. Well, that's 3 words with accents, so it doesn't match
>whatever Radiomaximus is. A search on "radiomaximus" at the MS Store
>finds nothing.
>
>I did a Google search on "radiomaximus" to find:
>
>https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/24/radiomaximus-internet-radio/
>
>However, still no guarantee I found whatever YOU are talking about.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it but I'd rather download from the author instead
of a site with hacks in its name.

When I do a google search on radiomaximus, the right site comes up
second, right after ghacks.
When I do a google search on radiomaximus download the right site
comes up first.
Raimersoft.

But why are you going to all this trouble to find it? Do you want to
use it? Or do you just want to show that I could have had its timer
turn the computer off? I already admitted that.

Maybe you want to use it or at least check it out. It's very good. I
heard about it on this very ng, 20 years ago. It has web radio but
independently of one's web browser, so if the browser crashes or has to
be restarted, the webradio is not interrupted. It has several hundred,
maybe 1000+ pre-loaded radio stations from all over the world. sorted by
country, or by genre. Plus you can add your own if you can figure out
the url. You can mark some as favorites so they appear in a list in the
main window of the program, and you can change from one station to
another at the click of the mouse. Unlike on a browser where you have
to find the tab that's playing now, turn it off, and find the tab for
the new station and turn it on there. For a while the most used
controls popped up when the cursor was over its spot in the taskbar, and
that might work for others. And I checked and even the free version
allows you to record. The paid version allows you to schedule playing
or recording in advance, one-shot, daily, weekly, and maybe even
something else. I would have given him money even if there were no
paid version with a scheduler.

>>>https://apps.microsoft.com/store/search/radiomax didn't find an app
>>>appropriate for the Windows 10 platform which is the topic of the
>>>alt.comp.os.windows-10 newsgroup. I did find a Windows app at
>>>https://napkforpc.com/apk/com.smarttones.radiomax/, but that would
>>>require you disable security regarding from where to install apps and
>>>avoid having to comply with Microsoft policies to ensure apps are safe
>>>(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/store-policies).
>>>That site says their APK is free. Just what did you pay for? To get
>>>rid of ads in the crapware free version?
>>
>> Wrong program. Radiomaximus doens't have ads, even in the free version.
>
>Nope. Since you overtly chose to not disclose where to find the app,
>any guess is the right program.

That's nonsense, and I shouldnn't have to say where to find a program
that can be found with google. And it's not an app, it's a program.

>>>Since you are posting in the Windows 10 newsgroup, presumably /that/
>>>computer is running Windows 10 (some edition unknown, some bitwidth
>>>unknown, some feature build unknown - typical of your posts to not
>>>provide details).
>>
>> Because edition, bitwidth, features do not matter. It works with all of
>> them as well as XP, Vista, 7, and 8 too. Typical of your posts to ask
>> for details that don't matter.
>
>Wrong. Details can be important,

Details *can* be important, but often they are not and when I don't give
them it's because they aren't, and often because my question is about
principals and not about the specific program that prompted the
question.

> but you refuse to provide any which is
>why many netizens figure you're a troll posting about problems that
>don't exist that you just makeup to waste their time.

I don't think that is why anyone but you has complained about me. Those
who have called me a troll just don't understand what I'm trying to
learn when I ask the questions they don't like.

>Painting an entire house and all interior walls as black makes no
>difference to the structure of the house unless you ask about the heat
>load in summer. You're asking about an unidentified program running on

A) Again, it was not unidentified. You just went off looking in the
apple store, the playstore, the MS store. It's like I mentioned a cut
of meat and you went to an ice cream store to find it.

B) I DID NOT ASK ABOUT ANYTHING. I told a story about leaving home and
coming home to find surprises. There was no question. I know what went
wrong and I told the readers.

>an lightly identified OS on unidentified hardware, and yet you expect
>respondents to be on target for an unfocused inquiry.

It was not an inquiry. It was a story. When you read a novel set in a
a town that does not exist, when you watch Father Knows Best that was
iirc set in Springfield but no state was given, can you not understand
the story because you don't know where they are or what model car they
drive?

There were only two questions marks in my original post, both like this
"Huh?", after I described something surprising. Rhetorical and the
reason the suprising things had happened was given a little later in the
post. I didn't ask readers any questions.

>>>And *what has all of this have to do with the alt.home.repair newsgroup*
>>>to which you cross-posted (and which I removed in my reply since this
>>>discussion is OFF-TOPIC to that newsgroup)?
>>
>> They are interested in lots of topics there, but espeically lawn mowing
>> and growing roses in a bag.
>
>So, you admit you posted off-topic to the alt.home.repair newsgroup
>hence spamming it. If you cross-post to unrelated newsgroups, you
>really ARE a troll.

My first sentence was that I "found a couple interesting
things that relate either to homes or to computers". People could stop
reading after that, or they could search for the part that interests
them. I'm pretty sure all the readers in both ngs have a computer and
live in a home.

Re: Misc. results of going away

<1wpojgmt0uadl$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63688&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63688

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:03:32 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:03 UTC

micky wrote:

> But why are you going to all this trouble to find it? Do you want to
> use it? Or do you just want to show that I could have had its timer
> turn the computer off? I already admitted that.

Because it might have documentation on how it schedules itself: might
use its own scheduler process, might use Task Scheduler, might use a
config file on the command line. To do the shutdown, does it use a
scheduled event in Task Scheduler to run shutdown.exe, or the program
calls the shutdown API, or opens a command shell to run shutdown.exe, or
somethind else. Solutions depend on how the program functions.

> That's nonsense, and I shouldnn't have to say where to find a program
> that can be found with google. And it's not an app, it's a program.

Then how do you expect anyone ELSE to know what program you are talking
about?

Oh, you thought an online search would only have 1 hit on
"radiomaximus"? Why are you so surreptitious and vague about software
you want to discuss? Vague inquires get vague responses.

> Details *can* be important, but often they are not and when I don't give
> them it's because they aren't, and often because my question is about
> principals and not about the specific program that prompted the
> question.

This isn't a *.general newsgroup nor for "what I did" diary posts.

> I don't think that is why anyone but you has complained about me.

Read the replies to your posts again. Others first noted how you won't
provide details, and then I started noticing the same.

> B) I DID NOT ASK ABOUT ANYTHING. I told a story about leaving home and
> coming home to find surprises. There was no question. I know what went
> wrong and I told the readers.

Go to Facebook, Twitter, or other socially-needy site to post "what I
did" or "what happened to me" diary entries.

> It was not an inquiry. It was a story.

Find another newsgroup for the blather.

Just in case you are looking for a better setup than what you have to
avoid assailing the wrong newsgroup about yet another "story" regarding
the same scenario, maybe the following may help.

https://www.raimersoft.com/radiomaximus.html

No information at the web site to know how it is waking up the computer.
Can't tell if it is setting an RTC alarm. My guess is the scheduled
turn-on time is using the Windows Task Scheduler, and its "Wake the
computer to run this task" option you can enable in the scheduled event
to set an RTC alarm. To shutdown the computer could be the program
using the shutdown API.

However, Task Scheduler's "Wake the computer" option takes the computer
out of sleep mode, not power it up /unless/ you go into Power Options to
edit the power scheme, go to advanced power settings, go to Sleep ->
Allow wake timers, and make sure it is enabled. For me, the "Allow wake
timers" setting is enabled, but I don't if that's the default, or if I
configured it that way. Also, since the RTC chip on the mobo is used to
power on the computer at a scheduled time, the option must be enabled in
the BIOS/UEFI. Somewhere in the BIOS settings might be something like
"Power on by RTC alarm" which must be enabled.

Since the computer came on, and RadioMaximus recorded several shows on
different days, looks like all the above is working okay. The option in
the program to shutdown the computer was not enabled, and why the
computer did not shutdown after recording a show. However, there are
other causes for the computer to wake. For example, in the BIOS/UEFI is
a "Wake on LAN" option which has the computer turn on should a packet
arrive addressed to that host. Another host could turn on the computer.
Even if RadioMaximus turned off the computer, something could turn it
back on. A packet arriving on the LAN, or even another scheduled task
with its "Wake the computer" option enabled, but the other event doesn't
shut down the computer after the event is over. Check the "Wake on"
options in the BIOS. For example, if you don't need the computer
turning on because some other computer wanted to connect to it, turn off
"Wake on LAN".

I remember someone else not wanting to have anything configured in Task
Scheduler, LAN traffic, or anything powering up his computer except when
he wanted. He had a smart power strip that could be programmed to turn
off and on anything connected to some of the outlets in the power strip.
However, since that has the computer start from a cold boot, the
BIOS/UEFI could not be configured to prompt for a system password, and
Windows had to be configured to load the proper account without asking
for login credentials (but that means anyone with physical access to the
computer could power up the computer and have Windows automatically log
into your account).

They're called smart plugs: they plug into a wall outlet, you plug the
appliance into the smart plug, and program the smart plug for when it
turns on and off. Since the smart plug interfaces with an app on your
phone, you can even remotely control the unit.

Example:
https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-plugs/kasa-smart-plug-mini-ep10

A disadvantage of a smart plug is that it doesn't do a graceful shutdown
of the OS, but supposedly RadioMaximus does. The smart plug would power
up the computer just before the show airs, RadioMaximus loads as an
autorun program, it records per its schedule, and when it is down then
shutdowns the computer. As a safety, you might want the smart plug to
cut power a little bit after the recording is over plus some time for
shutdown to ensure the computer got unpowered instead of hoping
RadioMaximus did a full shutdown.

With the smart plug's app, you can check status of the smart plug: is it
on or off. If it was still on longer after the recording was over, you
could tell the smart plug to cut the power to the computer. If the
smart plug maker were truly smart, they'd have an app you could install
on the computer that would communicate with the smart plug, so when the
smart plug wants to turn off the device the on-computer app would do a
shutdown instead of just lopping off the power to the computer at the
smart plug.