Only God can make random selections.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

SubjectAuthor
* Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?mark
+* Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?Edmund
|`* Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?pinnerite
| `* Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?Edmund
|  `* Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?Paul
|   +- Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?Dan Purgert
|   `- Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?Edmund
`* Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?Paul
 `- Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?mark

1
Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<u7rqm7$6rd$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6362&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6362

From: mar...@mark.mark (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 14:31:02 +0200
 by: mark - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 12:31 UTC

I have last Mint install, and also last Mint in VirtualBox.

I can use "Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader" with main Mint,
but can't use it in VB guest Mint?

lsusb in VB guest Mint
Bus 001 Device 003: Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader
but (property) software don't see it, like in main Mint.

When I install guest Mint, software see smartcard reader, but after
restart don't.

Why is that?

Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<u7s4eo$3bjc3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6363&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6363

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 17:17:44 +0200
 by: Edmund - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 15:17 UTC

On 7/2/23 14:31, mark wrote:
> I have last Mint install, and also last Mint in VirtualBox.
>
> I can use "Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader" with main Mint,
> but can't use it in VB guest Mint?
>
> lsusb in VB guest Mint
> Bus 001 Device 003: Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader
> but (property) software don't see it, like in main Mint.
>
> When I install guest Mint, software see smartcard reader, but after
> restart don't.
>
> Why is that?

Most likely you noticed that Linux and USB is not a happy marriage.

Edmund

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<u7s9th$3c557$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6364&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6364

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 12:50:55 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 16:50 UTC

On 7/2/2023 8:31 AM, mark wrote:
> I have last Mint install, and also last Mint in VirtualBox.
>
> I can use "Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader" with main Mint, but can't use it in VB guest Mint?
>
> lsusb in VB guest Mint
> Bus 001 Device 003: Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader
> but (property) software don't see it, like in main Mint.
>
> When I install guest Mint, software see smartcard reader, but after restart don't.
>
> Why is that?

It looks pretty busy under the hood. There are logfile examples
in that submission. And also examples of perhaps a power-save issue
with the behavior of the device. And USB passthru grabbing the device
from the host (perhaps while it is "asleep") is not helping matters.

https://github.com/LudovicRousseau/CCID/issues/84

Paul

Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<20230702225114.b26960d5a72d4a363a3e501e@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6365&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6365

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 22:51:14 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 21:51 UTC

On Sun, 2 Jul 2023 17:17:44 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/2/23 14:31, mark wrote:
> > I have last Mint install, and also last Mint in VirtualBox.
> >
> > I can use "Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader" with main Mint,
> > but can't use it in VB guest Mint?
> >
> > lsusb in VB guest Mint
> > Bus 001 Device 003: Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader
> > but (property) software don't see it, like in main Mint.
> >
> > When I install guest Mint, software see smartcard reader, but after
> > restart don't.
> >
> > Why is that?
>
> Most likely you noticed that Linux and USB is not a happy marriage.

In general I don't find that.

Although I used to get a desktop icon when I plugged in a usb.

Now they mostly seem to open up in a file manager.
When they don't I can find them in "Disks".

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<u7tbkq$a72$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6366&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6366

From: mar...@mark.mark (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 04:26:34 +0200
 by: mark - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 02:26 UTC

On 7/2/23 18:50, Paul wrote:
> On 7/2/2023 8:31 AM, mark wrote:
>> I have last Mint install, and also last Mint in VirtualBox.
>>
>> I can use "Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader" with main Mint,
>> but can't use it in VB guest Mint?
>>
>> lsusb in VB guest Mint
>> Bus 001 Device 003: Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader
>> but (property) software don't see it, like in main Mint.
>>
>> When I install guest Mint, software see smartcard reader, but after
>> restart don't.
>>
>> Why is that?
>
> It looks pretty busy under the hood. There are logfile examples
> in that submission. And also examples of perhaps a power-save issue
> with the behavior of the device. And USB passthru grabbing the device
> from the host (perhaps while it is "asleep") is not helping matters.
>
> https://github.com/LudovicRousseau/CCID/issues/84
>
>    Paul

Thanks for this.

Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<u80fmf$168b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6367&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6367

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:54:07 +0200
 by: Edmund - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 06:54 UTC

On 7/2/23 23:51, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jul 2023 17:17:44 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/23 14:31, mark wrote:
>>> I have last Mint install, and also last Mint in VirtualBox.
>>>
>>> I can use "Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader" with main Mint,
>>> but can't use it in VB guest Mint?
>>>
>>> lsusb in VB guest Mint
>>> Bus 001 Device 003: Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 Smartcard Reader
>>> but (property) software don't see it, like in main Mint.
>>>
>>> When I install guest Mint, software see smartcard reader, but after
>>> restart don't.
>>>
>>> Why is that?
>>
>> Most likely you noticed that Linux and USB is not a happy marriage.
>
> In general I don't find that.
>
> Although I used to get a desktop icon when I plugged in a usb.
>
> Now they mostly seem to open up in a file manager.
> When they don't I can find them in "Disks".

Inconsistent behavior you say? OK thats fine :-)

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<u80vi9$3b9u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6371&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6371

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 07:24:57 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:24 UTC

On 7/4/2023 2:54 AM, Edmund wrote:
> On 7/2/23 23:51, pinnerite wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 Jul 2023 17:17:44 +0200
>> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Most likely you noticed that Linux and USB is not a happy marriage.
>>
>> In general I don't find that.
>>
>> Although I used to get a desktop icon when I plugged in a usb.
>>
>> Now they mostly seem to open up in a file manager.
>> When they don't I can find them in "Disks".
>
> Inconsistent behavior you say? OK thats fine :-)

That's why each OS release is part of a rolling release,
with new "features". New "features" means "change" and
"not frozen in place".

Take my Windows here. Suddenly FAT32 sticks no longer have the "Safely Remove",
you have to flip over to File Explorer and "eject" them, the drive letter
turns into "removable media" but the drive letter does not disappear, even
though it is dismounted. You pull the USB stick. No sound comes out of the
speaker, indicating you pulled it. An NTFS stick, once "Safely Removed",
makes a win-sound when you unplug it. So we've gone from "uniform" behavior
to "silly non-uniform behavior", for no particular reason I can discern.
Yes, I know that what they've done is "technically correct", but as you
would note, some behaviors should not be fucked with. All the USB sticks
should behave exactly the same way, so that dealing with USB sticks
is "muscle memory", and not yet another "IT exam". Imagine how
many helper-persons are going to have to write this paragraph, over
and over again, to explain this unnecessary change.

Paul

Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<slrnua80n5.2te.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6372&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6372

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:29:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:29 UTC

On 2023-07-04, Paul wrote:
> On 7/4/2023 2:54 AM, Edmund wrote:
>> [...]
>> Inconsistent behavior you say? OK thats fine :-)
>>

> That's why each OS release is part of a rolling release,
> with new "features". New "features" means "change" and
> "not frozen in place".
>
> Take my Windows here. Suddenly FAT32 sticks no longer have the "Safely
> Remove", [...]
> Imagine how many helper-persons are going to have to write this
> paragraph, over and over again, to explain this unnecessary change.

Because they forgot about copy/paste? :)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Can't use smart card reader in Mint after restart?

<u813qh$3ml2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6373&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6373

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 14:37:37 +0200
 by: Edmund - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:37 UTC

On 7/4/23 13:24, Paul wrote:
> On 7/4/2023 2:54 AM, Edmund wrote:
>> On 7/2/23 23:51, pinnerite wrote:

>>> In general I don't find that.
>>>
>>> Although I used to get a desktop icon when I plugged in a usb.
>>>
>>> Now they mostly seem to open up in a file manager.
>>> When they don't I can find them in "Disks".
>>
>> Inconsistent behavior you say? OK thats fine :-)
>>

> That's why each OS release is part of a rolling release,
> with new "features". New "features" means "change" and
> "not frozen in place".

He is not talking about different releases Paul, don't play dummy

--