<sangr> home is where the highest bandwidth is

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Won't boot

SubjectAuthor
* Won't bootpinnerite
+* Re: Won't bootEdmund
|+* Re: Won't bootpinnerite
||`* Re: Won't bootEdmund
|| `- Re: Won't bootpinnerite
|+* Re: Won't bootJack Symonds
||+- Re: Won't bootNic
||`- Re: Won't booteternal.septemer
|`- Re: Won't bootpinnerite
+- Re: Won't bootPaul
`* Re: Won't bootJohnny
 `- Re: Won't bootPaul

1
Won't boot

<20230704090137.dabb6b49e42fcc2ea36cc70d@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6368&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6368

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Won't boot
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:01:37 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:01 UTC

Yesterday after a long day sorting out a problem with a guest VM, I
copied the whole VM to a backup drive. That had to be done under a live
usb drive. Once the copy was done, I powered down, disconnected the
second drive and removed the flash drive and tried to reboot.

The first thing I noticed was the LM logo disk was egg shaped. Next
everything looked magnified. I powered down and tried to reboot but it
hung.

I ran drive tests throughout the night. No errors.

I would like to recover it but I can run on the backup. I have lost
nothong importsant.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-75-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Won't boot

<u80o20$1ulu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6369&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6369

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Won't boot
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:16:48 +0200
 by: Edmund - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:16 UTC

On 7/4/23 10:01, pinnerite wrote:
> Yesterday after a long day sorting out a problem with a guest VM, I
> copied the whole VM to a backup drive. That had to be done under a live
> usb drive. Once the copy was done, I powered down, disconnected the
> second drive and removed the flash drive and tried to reboot.
>
> The first thing I noticed was the LM logo disk was egg shaped. Next
> everything looked magnified. I powered down and tried to reboot but it
> hung.
>
> I ran drive tests throughout the night. No errors.
>
> I would like to recover it but I can run on the backup. I have lost
> nothong importsant.

This whole post is a mystery to me aside from the using VMstuff in the
first place. Is it Windows or MAC? Just curious.

You sorted out a VM problem, so why you need a live OS for copying the VM?
Now you host OS won't boot? well there are some boot-recovery tools you
could try.

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Won't boot

<u80tjt$31ia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6370&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6370

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 06:51:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 10:51 UTC

On 7/4/2023 4:01 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> Yesterday after a long day sorting out a problem with a guest VM, I
> copied the whole VM to a backup drive. That had to be done under a live
> usb drive. Once the copy was done, I powered down, disconnected the
> second drive and removed the flash drive and tried to reboot.
>
> The first thing I noticed was the LM logo disk was egg shaped. Next
> everything looked magnified. I powered down and tried to reboot but it
> hung.
>
> I ran drive tests throughout the night. No errors.
>
> I would like to recover it but I can run on the backup. I have lost
> nothong importsant.

Obviously, you have dropped to a VESA 4:3 or 5:4 resolution,
instead of the native monitor 16:9 resolution. That gives the egg shape.

Then we have to ask ourselves

inxi -G

about what driver is running the show.

The gnome-disks command, shows your drive, plus it shows what
partitions you are currently running off of.

[Picture] "LM21.1 particulars"

https://i.postimg.cc/k5YFkwgK/inxi-xrandr-gnomedisks.gif

Mine says "driver nvidia" and "530.41.03" as examples of what
is driving my screen. My tiny 1280x1024 screen drives the ship.

Paul

Re: Won't boot

<20230704075226.03722565@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6374&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6374

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 07:52:26 -0500
 by: Johnny - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:52 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:01:37 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday after a long day sorting out a problem with a guest VM, I
> copied the whole VM to a backup drive. That had to be done under a
> live usb drive. Once the copy was done, I powered down, disconnected
> the second drive and removed the flash drive and tried to reboot.
>
> The first thing I noticed was the LM logo disk was egg shaped. Next
> everything looked magnified. I powered down and tried to reboot but it
> hung.
>
> I ran drive tests throughout the night. No errors.
>
> I would like to recover it but I can run on the backup. I have lost
> nothong importsant.

I don't understand why anyone would use a VM. Either dual boot, use
two different computers, or run an operating system you want to check
out from a usb stick.

Re: Won't boot

<20230704145529.c0f584a81e33aebb4dd67713@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6375&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6375

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 14:55:29 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 13:55 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:16:48 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/23 10:01, pinnerite wrote:
> > Yesterday after a long day sorting out a problem with a guest VM, I
> > copied the whole VM to a backup drive. That had to be done under a live
> > usb drive. Once the copy was done, I powered down, disconnected the
> > second drive and removed the flash drive and tried to reboot.
> >
> > The first thing I noticed was the LM logo disk was egg shaped. Next
> > everything looked magnified. I powered down and tried to reboot but it
> > hung.
> >
> > I ran drive tests throughout the night. No errors.
> >
> > I would like to recover it but I can run on the backup. I have lost
> > nothong importsant.
> >

> This whole post is a mystery to me aside from the using VMstuff in the
> first place. Is it Windows or MAC? Just curious.
>
> You sorted out a VM problem, so why you need a live OS for copying the VM?
> Now you host OS won't boot? well there are some boot-recovery tools you
> could try.
>

> Edmund

That is simple. Mount two bootable copies of an operating system in
the same computer and then run it. You may end up with neither drive
coming up next time roumd. Yes, I did it once by accident 20 years ago.

So by enabling both drives but booting up on live device enables me to
clone drives or to copy parts from one to t'other.

As for VMs, some strategic programs are only written for Windows. Yes,
one could dual-boot but then you could only have one 'live' at a time.
with a VM you can have both. What's more with Samba both environments
can access the same data files. All mine are on Linux whenever I have
the choice. Some insist on using drive C:\. I cannot do anything about
that.

Rather than waste time with boot-recovery tools, I copied the latest
data to the backup drive before last and booted on that. Once
I am satisfied that it is sound. I intend to clone it to the dodgy one
and see how it pans out. Sadly I cannot blame the EU or Vladimir Putin.

Regards, Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-75-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Won't boot

<u81b1c$4cd0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6376&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6376

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:40:44 +0200
 by: Edmund - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 14:40 UTC

On 7/4/23 15:55, pinnerite wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:16:48 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/23 10:01, pinnerite wrote:
>>> Yesterday after a long day sorting out a problem with a guest VM, I
>>> copied the whole VM to a backup drive. That had to be done under a live
>>> usb drive. Once the copy was done, I powered down, disconnected the
>>> second drive and removed the flash drive and tried to reboot.
>>>
>>> The first thing I noticed was the LM logo disk was egg shaped. Next
>>> everything looked magnified. I powered down and tried to reboot but it
>>> hung.
>>>
>>> I ran drive tests throughout the night. No errors.
>>>
>>> I would like to recover it but I can run on the backup. I have lost
>>> nothong importsant.
>>>

>> This whole post is a mystery to me aside from the using VMstuff in the
>> first place. Is it Windows or MAC? Just curious.
>>
>> You sorted out a VM problem, so why you need a live OS for copying the VM?
>> Now you host OS won't boot? well there are some boot-recovery tools you
>> could try.
>>

>> Edmund
>>

> That is simple. Mount two bootable copies of an operating system in
> the same computer and then run it. You may end up with neither drive
> coming up next time roumd. Yes, I did it once by accident 20 years ago.
>
> So by enabling both drives but booting up on live device enables me to
> clone drives or to copy parts from one to t'other.

Why wouldn't that possible by booting one of the bootable OSes?

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Won't boot

<u81bsi$4gni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6377&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6377

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 10:55:14 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 14:55 UTC

On 7/4/2023 8:52 AM, Johnny wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:01:37 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday after a long day sorting out a problem with a guest VM, I
>> copied the whole VM to a backup drive. That had to be done under a
>> live usb drive. Once the copy was done, I powered down, disconnected
>> the second drive and removed the flash drive and tried to reboot.
>>
>> The first thing I noticed was the LM logo disk was egg shaped. Next
>> everything looked magnified. I powered down and tried to reboot but it
>> hung.
>>
>> I ran drive tests throughout the night. No errors.
>>
>> I would like to recover it but I can run on the backup. I have lost
>> nothong importsant.
>>

> I don't understand why anyone would use a VM. Either dual boot, use
> two different computers, or run an operating system you want to check
> out from a usb stick.

This allows you to read USENET news, plus experiment in a VM window.

You don't even have to get out of your chair :-)

Paul

Re: Won't boot

<u81mo5$24ntv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6378&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6378

From: inva...@invalid.net (Jack Symonds)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 18:57:36 +0100
 by: Jack Symonds - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 17:57 UTC

On 04/07/2023 10:16, Edmund wrote:

> You sorted out a VM problem, so why you need a live OS for copying the
> VM?

That geezer, Pinnerite, is a troll and time waster. He keeps posting about
his VM problems almost every week here on Linux and on Windows 10
newsgroups. I have given up on him. Either he doesn't know what he is
doing or he is simply posting stuff to keep himself busy. There are
people like that in every newsgroups.

Re: Won't boot

<ymmpM.14697$LQ3.3906@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6379&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6379

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 18:43:41 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 22:43 UTC

On 7/4/23 1:57 PM, Jack Symonds wrote:
> On 04/07/2023 10:16, Edmund wrote:
>> You sorted out a VM problem, so why you need a live OS for copying the
>> VM?
>>

> That geezer, Pinnerite, is a troll and time waster. He keeps posting about
> his VM problems almost every week here on Linux and on Windows 10
> newsgroups. I have given up on him. Either he doesn't know what he is
> doing or he is simply posting stuff to keep himself busy. There are
> people like that in every newsgroups.

That sums it up nicely.

Re: Won't boot

<20230706173452.ffda5efb38aa92acf1661543@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6382&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6382

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 17:34:52 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 16:34 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:40:44 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/23 15:55, pinnerite wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:16:48 +0200
> > Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> This whole post is a mystery to me aside from the using VMstuff in the
> >> first place. Is it Windows or MAC? Just curious.
> >>
> >> You sorted out a VM problem, so why you need a live OS for copying the VM?
> >> Now you host OS won't boot? well there are some boot-recovery tools you
> >> could try.
> >>

> >> Edmund
> >>

> > That is simple. Mount two bootable copies of an operating system in
> > the same computer and then run it. You may end up with neither drive
> > coming up next time roumd. Yes, I did it once by accident 20 years ago.
> >
> > So by enabling both drives but booting up on live device enables me to
> > clone drives or to copy parts from one to t'other.
>
> Why wouldn't that possible by booting one of the bootable OSes?

Of course it would but how would you copy say, a partition from that
one to the other drive?

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-75-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Won't boot

<20230710125545.7782f48360b26bb97b5761e1@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6399&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6399

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:55:45 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 11:55 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:16:48 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/23 10:01, pinnerite wrote:
> > Yesterday after a long day sorting out a problem with a guest VM, I
> > copied the whole VM to a backup drive. That had to be done under a live
> > usb drive. Once the copy was done, I powered down, disconnected the
> > second drive and removed the flash drive and tried to reboot.
> >
> > The first thing I noticed was the LM logo disk was egg shaped. Next
> > everything looked magnified. I powered down and tried to reboot but it
> > hung.
> >
> > I ran drive tests throughout the night. No errors.
> >
> > I would like to recover it but I can run on the backup. I have lost
> > nothong importsant.
> >

> This whole post is a mystery to me aside from the using VMstuff in the
> first place. Is it Windows or MAC? Just curious.
>
> You sorted out a VM problem, so why you need a live OS for copying the VM?
> Now you host OS won't boot? well there are some boot-recovery tools you
> could try.

Yes I tried two boot recovery CDs that I keep for emergencies. Neither could fix it.
Booting on a Live CD or flash drive means that my hard drives can be manipulated unmounted.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Won't boot

<20230714130418.acf73adf7dc48d3fdeb3aef2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6419&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6419

From: pinner...@gmail.com (eternal.septemer)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 13:04:18 +0100
 by: eternal.septemer - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:04 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 18:57:36 +0100
Jack Symonds <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

> On 04/07/2023 10:16, Edmund wrote:
> >
> > You sorted out a VM problem, so why you need a live OS for copying the
> > VM?
> >

> That geezer, Pinnerite, is a troll and time waster. He keeps posting about
> his VM problems almost every week here on Linux and on Windows 10
> newsgroups. I have given up on him. Either he doesn't know what he is
> doing or he is simply posting stuff to keep himself busy. There are
> people like that in every newsgroups.

If you had beenn using usenet groups for as long as me (c) 20 years you
would learn two things:

(1) That I try to contribute when I can and;
(2) I don't spend my energy debnigrating users who cannot even do (1).

Now, back to your book and complete colouring it in, there's a good lad.