From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Will boot .... but
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:40:26 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:40 UTC

It has been a real week of problems ... mostly with Windows 10 VM.
Broadband became intermittent. Openreach engineer tested up to the street connection. Found nothing wrong. Talktalk suggested that I re-boot (I had already done so several times) but dod so again with the usual down period to allow discharge of capacitors.
It has been OK since.
My Android phone lost its floating keyboard.
Deciding that Win-10 was now tolerable (only crashing once oir twice per day), I decided to clone the complete drive rather than just back up.
This morning th clone would not boot and the original drive would only come up with 720 x 400 resolution!
Used my wife's iPad to try and sort out my android phone.
Most suggestions would not work but one suggested installing another keyboard, recommending Microsoft's Swiftkey.
Gritting my teeth I installed it. Surprisingly it not only solved the problem but looks good too.
So now, just Mint to get sorted?
Any ideas?

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Will boot .... but

<20230708114653.51de5bdbdd54653fe74c886a@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6387&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6387

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Will boot .... but
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:46:53 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:46 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:40:26 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> It has been a real week of problems ... mostly with Windows 10 VM.
> Broadband became intermittent. Openreach engineer tested up to the street connection. Found nothing wrong. Talktalk suggested that I re-boot (I had already done so several times) but dod so again with the usual down period to allow discharge of capacitors.
> It has been OK since.
> My Android phone lost its floating keyboard.
> Deciding that Win-10 was now tolerable (only crashing once oir twice per day), I decided to clone the complete drive rather than just back up.
> This morning the clone would not boot and the original drive would only come up with 720 x 400 resolution!
> Used my wife's iPad to try and sort out my android phone.
> Most suggestions would not work but one suggested installing another keyboard, recommending Microsoft's Swiftkey.
> Gritting my teeth I installed it. Surprisingly it not only solved the problem but looks good too.
> So now, just Mint to get sorted?
> Any ideas?

I should have added that Mint Display doesn't recognise my screen type. It ignores the second one and all options are greyed out!

> --
> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Will boot .... but

<u8bvt7$1pgnr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6388&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6388

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:38:14 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 15:38 UTC

On 7/8/2023 6:46 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:40:26 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It has been a real week of problems ... mostly with Windows 10 VM.
>> Broadband became intermittent. Openreach engineer tested up to the street connection. Found nothing wrong. Talktalk suggested that I re-boot (I had already done so several times) but dod so again with the usual down period to allow discharge of capacitors.
>> It has been OK since.
>> My Android phone lost its floating keyboard.
>> Deciding that Win-10 was now tolerable (only crashing once oir twice per day), I decided to clone the complete drive rather than just back up.
>> This morning the clone would not boot and the original drive would only come up with 720 x 400 resolution!
>> Used my wife's iPad to try and sort out my android phone.
>> Most suggestions would not work but one suggested installing another keyboard, recommending Microsoft's Swiftkey.
>> Gritting my teeth I installed it. Surprisingly it not only solved the problem but looks good too.
>> So now, just Mint to get sorted?
>> Any ideas?
>>
> I should have added that Mint Display doesn't recognise my screen type. It ignores the second one and all options are greyed out!
>>

>> --
>> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

HDMI cables, I don't think they have positive retention.
My DP connector has a button that must be depressed, to
remove the connector. The HDMI could fall out *if* something
was really pulling on it.

Make sure that a connector has not fallen out, and that the
second monitor has power.

The 720 x 400 does not sound good though. That's an attempt to run
16:9 , at as low a resolution as possible. As if the one working
video card does not have any video RAM.

Running "nomodeset" ? Check your Inxi.

*******

We can play back your "inxi" from a few days ago.

inxi -F
System:
Host: albury Kernel: 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.8 Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M4A785TD-V EVO v: Rev X.0x [RS880 appears to be turned off]
serial: <superuser required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2105
date: 07/23/2010
CPU:
Info: quad core model: AMD Phenom II X4 955 bits: 64 type: MCP cache:
L2: 2 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 1125 min/max: 800/3200 cores: 1: 800 2: 800 3: 2100
4: 800
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550] driver: radeon v: kernel
Device-2: AMD RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550] driver: radeon v: kernel
Device-3: SJ-180517-N 1080P Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: radeon resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz
2: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RV710 (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.15.0-76-generic LLVM 15.0.7)
v: 3.3 Mesa 22.2.5-0ubuntu0.1~22.04.3
Audio:
Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-2: AMD RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-3: AMD RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-4: Philips s SAA7160 driver: SAA716x Budget
Device-5: SJ-180517-N 1080P Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-76-generic running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 90:e6:ba:b9:72:3c
IF-ID-1: vboxnet0 state: down mac: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 1.18 TiB (64.9%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM006-2DM164 size: 1.82 TiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 27.39 GiB used: 22.41 GiB (81.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 1.74 TiB used: 1.16 TiB (66.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Swap:
ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8 GiB used: 1.14 GiB (14.2%)
dev: /dev/sda7
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: 39.0 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2272 psu: 0 case-1: 2472
GPU: device: radeon temp: 70.0 C device: radeon temp: 63.0 C
Info:
Processes: 282 Uptime: 2d 8h 14m Memory: 15.61 GiB used: 4.87 GiB (31.2%)
Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.13

*******

There are some other things you can check. These are mine.

The "xdpyinfo", is just to check if your extensions are loaded.
Or, if some update has caused Xorg to lose the ability to
drive your video card(s).

xdpyinfo
name of display: :0
version number: 11.0
vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
vendor release number: 12101004
X.Org version: 1.21.1.4
maximum request size: 16777212 bytes
motion buffer size: 256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding: 32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order: LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats: 7
supported pixmap formats:
depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range: minimum 8, maximum 255
focus: window 0x3e00007, revert to Parent
number of extensions: 31
BIG-REQUESTS
Composite
DAMAGE
DOUBLE-BUFFER
DPMS
DRI2
DRI3
GLX
Generic Event Extension
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
MIT-SHM
NV-CONTROL
NV-GLX
Present
RANDR
RECORD
RENDER
SECURITY
SHAPE
SYNC
X-Resource
XC-MISC
XFIXES
XFree86-DGA
XFree86-VidModeExtension
XINERAMA \___ Might have something to do with supporting two monitors
XINERAMA /
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
default screen number: 0
number of screens: 1

*******

The "xrandr -q" gives info on graphics choices.
I only have the one cheap little monitor, so this
is a pretty boring one. And the video card doesn't
have that many connectors. It's DVI,HDMI,3*DP. That's
how manufacturers rate a generation of cards -- the most
powerful card (like a Titan), gets six connectors :-)
There are occasionally anomalies, like a workstation
card with 6*miniDP (which is for driving stock-trader screens).

xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 32767 x 32767
DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 connected primary 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 338mm x 270mm
1280x1024 60.02*+ 75.02
1280x720 60.00 59.94
1152x864 75.00
1024x768 75.03 70.07 60.00
800x600 75.00 72.19 60.32 56.25
640x480 75.00 72.81 59.94
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-5 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

*******

Just looking for basic anomalies at the moment, like for example,
a drastic change in your Inxi graphics details. Implying Xorg support
has gone to hell, after an update.

Paul

Re: Will boot .... but

<u8c0bu$1pgfc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6389&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6389

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 17:46:06 +0200
 by: Edmund - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 15:46 UTC

On 7/8/23 12:46, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:40:26 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It has been a real week of problems ... mostly with Windows 10 VM.
>> Broadband became intermittent. Openreach engineer tested up to the street connection. Found nothing wrong. Talktalk suggested that I re-boot (I had already done so several times) but dod so again with the usual down period to allow discharge of capacitors.
>> It has been OK since.
>> My Android phone lost its floating keyboard.
>> Deciding that Win-10 was now tolerable (only crashing once oir twice per day), I decided to clone the complete drive rather than just back up.
>> This morning the clone would not boot and the original drive would only come up with 720 x 400 resolution!
>> Used my wife's iPad to try and sort out my android phone.
>> Most suggestions would not work but one suggested installing another keyboard, recommending Microsoft's Swiftkey.
>> Gritting my teeth I installed it. Surprisingly it not only solved the problem but looks good too.
>> So now, just Mint to get sorted?
>> Any ideas?
>>
> I should have added that Mint Display doesn't recognise my screen type. It ignores the second one and all options are greyed out!
>>

>> --
>> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Rather then cloning buggy OSes and trying to repair all kinds of weird
stuff..... Do I have to say more?

Start all over and copy the stuff you need after the OSes are working.
oh, Proxmox works absolutely fine and it can make snapshot and restore
from scratch in minutes.

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Will boot .... but

<20230709163731.8ea37d28d1dd68452ff2cbdf@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6393&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6393

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:37:31 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 15:37 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 17:46:06 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/8/23 12:46, pinnerite wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:40:26 +0100
> > pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It has been a real week of problems ... mostly with Windows 10 VM.
> >> Broadband became intermittent. Openreach engineer tested up to the street connection. Found nothing wrong. Talktalk suggested that I re-boot (I had already done so several times) but dod so again with the usual down period to allow discharge of capacitors.
> >> It has been OK since.
> >> My Android phone lost its floating keyboard.
> >> Deciding that Win-10 was now tolerable (only crashing once oir twice per day), I decided to clone the complete drive rather than just back up.
> >> This morning the clone would not boot and the original drive would only come up with 720 x 400 resolution!
> >> Used my wife's iPad to try and sort out my android phone.
> >> Most suggestions would not work but one suggested installing another keyboard, recommending Microsoft's Swiftkey.
> >> Gritting my teeth I installed it. Surprisingly it not only solved the problem but looks good too.
> >> So now, just Mint to get sorted?
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> > I should have added that Mint Display doesn't recognise my screen type. It ignores the second one and all options are greyed out!
> >>

> >> --
> >> Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
> >

> Rather then cloning buggy OSes and trying to repair all kinds of weird
> stuff..... Do I have to say more?
>
> Start all over and copy the stuff you need after the OSes are working.
> oh, Proxmox works absolutely fine and it can make snapshot and restore
> from scratch in minutes.

So three drives all with Mint 21.1 would not boot up.
To check that it wasn't the hardware that was faulty, I tried a fourth drive, unused since I first tested it.
I installed Mint 21.2 beta and it is rock solid.
There is one niggle so far and that is I cannot install Virtualbox.
The version on the repo doesn't do anything and the doiwnloads from Oracle baulk at the command line with "Newline unexpected".
However, back at the latest dodgy drive, I can get in in Safe Mode but with no control over display (still 720x400).
This has go to be a device driver issue.
It has been many years since I had to download and install drivers for my elderly graphics cards.

I just download AMD Radeon Device drivers but it is also returns "Unexpected Newline"!

I'll do some digging. In the meantime here is the output from inxi -F:
inxi -F
System:
Host: albury Kernel: 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.8 Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M4A785TD-V EVO
v: Rev X.0x serial: <superuser required>
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2105 date: 07/23/2010
CPU:
Info: quad core model: AMD Phenom II X4 955 bits: 64
type: MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 1400 min/max: 800/3200 cores: 1: 3200
2: 800 3: 800 4: 800
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550] driver: N/A
Device-2: AMD RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550] driver: N/A
Device-3: SJ-180517-N 1080P Webcam type: USB
driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X:
loaded: ati,vesa unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon
gpu: N/A resolution: 720x400
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7 128 bits)
v: 4.5 Mesa 22.2.5-0ubuntu0.1~22.04.3
Audio:
Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-2: AMD RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series] driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-3: AMD RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series] driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-4: Philips s SAA7160 driver: SAA716x Budget
Device-5: SJ-180517-N 1080P Webcam type: USB
driver: uvcvideo
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-76-generic running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit
Ethernet
driver: r8169
IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: 90:e6:ba:b9:72:3c
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 1.83 TiB used: 880.66 GiB (47.1%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM006-2DM164
size: 1.82 TiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk
model: Cruzer Slice size: 7.45 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 27.39 GiB used: 22.39 GiB (81.7%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 1.74 TiB used: 857.78 GiB (48.1%)
fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Swap:
ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%)
dev: /dev/sda7
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0 C mobo: 39.0 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2257 psu: 0 case-1: 2566
Info:
Processes: 248 Uptime: 1h 11m Memory: 15.61 GiB
used: 2.06 GiB (13.2%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.13

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Will boot .... but

<u8h0if$2hml0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6402&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6402

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:20:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 13:20 UTC

On 7/9/2023 11:37 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> [...]
> Drives:
> Local Storage: total: 1.83 TiB used: 880.66 GiB (47.1%)
> ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM006-2DM164
> size: 1.82 TiB
> ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk
> model: Cruzer Slice size: 7.45 GiB
> Partition:
> ID-1: / size: 27.39 GiB used: 22.39 GiB (81.7%) fs: ext4
> dev: /dev/sda1
> ID-2: /home size: 1.74 TiB used: 857.78 GiB (48.1%)
> fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
> Swap:
> ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%)
> dev: /dev/sda7
> Sensors:
> System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0 C mobo: 39.0 C
> Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2257 psu: 0 case-1: 2566
> Info:
> Processes: 248 Uptime: 1h 11m Memory: 15.61 GiB
> used: 2.06 GiB (13.2%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.13

Driver Manager ?

Install "Radeon" driver ?

One of the drivers will be marked as a "recommended" one.

And if absolutely no drivers show up, then your card has
aged out in a sense. It isn't dead, just needs more research.

Your graphics now versus your graphics a few days ago.
Right now, my guess is VESA is the driver and there's
no xinerama with VESA.

Graphics:
Device-1: AMD RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550] driver: N/A
Device-2: AMD RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550] driver: N/A
Device-3: SJ-180517-N 1080P Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: ati,vesa