From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Mint 21.2 beta
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:15:44 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:15 UTC

This was a clean install on an unused drive.
I installed virtualbox from the repo but it doesn't come up. It just shows two small grey outlines above the panel before it puts up:

"Virtualbox - critical error
Failed to acquire the Virtualbox COM object
The application will now terminate"

I have deleted the xml file in .cache/virtualbox. Uninstalled and reinstalled both via synaptic and from a download, checked that the kernel headers were downloaded and removed most of my remaning hair.

What else can I do or could this be a bug?

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Mint 21.2 beta

<20230709164327.69f1601c@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6397&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6397

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Mint 21.2 beta
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:43:27 -0500
 by: Johnny - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:43 UTC

On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:15:44 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> This was a clean install on an unused drive.
> I installed virtualbox from the repo but it doesn't come up. It just
> shows two small grey outlines above the panel before it puts up:
>
> "Virtualbox - critical error
> Failed to acquire the Virtualbox COM object
> The application will now terminate"
>
> I have deleted the xml file in .cache/virtualbox. Uninstalled and
> reinstalled both via synaptic and from a download, checked that the
> kernel headers were downloaded and removed most of my remaning hair.
>
> What else can I do or could this be a bug?

Quit using Virtualbox.

Re: Mint 21.2 beta

<u8ge6t$2ftbj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6398&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6398

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 04:06:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 08:06 UTC

On 7/9/2023 5:43 PM, Johnny wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:15:44 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This was a clean install on an unused drive.
>> I installed virtualbox from the repo but it doesn't come up. It just
>> shows two small grey outlines above the panel before it puts up:
>>
>> "Virtualbox - critical error
>> Failed to acquire the Virtualbox COM object
>> The application will now terminate"
>>
>> I have deleted the xml file in .cache/virtualbox. Uninstalled and
>> reinstalled both via synaptic and from a download, checked that the
>> kernel headers were downloaded and removed most of my remaning hair.
>>
>> What else can I do or could this be a bug?
>>

> Quit using Virtualbox.

One of the objectives in this case, may have been to run
a USB cut-sheet scanner. And it happens to work under VirtualBox,
with the VirtualBox USB passthru capability.

QEMU KVM and friends (there are other skins for it), does
a great job of running an OS, but I don't think it has
USB passthru like VirtualBox or VMWare workstation player does.

Even the Microsoft Hyper-V isn't perfect. It has USB passthru, but
it is at the "class" level, rather than at the "USB packet" level.
It might support a USB flash stick, during passthru, but maybe not
work with a USB Bluetooth adapter, or a USB scanner. Half-hearted
attempts at USB passthru, aren't very useful.

There aren't too many candidate softwares, if you want USB passthru
at the USB packet level (which allows the Guest OS to handle any
USB device you throw at it).

Paul

Re: Mint 21.2 beta

<RdTqM.177837$W7d4.2521@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6400&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6400

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 08:56:17 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:56 UTC

On 7/10/23 4:06 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 7/9/2023 5:43 PM, Johnny wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:15:44 +0100
>> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This was a clean install on an unused drive.
>>> I installed virtualbox from the repo but it doesn't come up. It just
>>> shows two small grey outlines above the panel before it puts up:
>>>
>>> "Virtualbox - critical error
>>> Failed to acquire the Virtualbox COM object
>>> The application will now terminate"
>>>
>>> I have deleted the xml file in .cache/virtualbox. Uninstalled and
>>> reinstalled both via synaptic and from a download, checked that the
>>> kernel headers were downloaded and removed most of my remaning hair.
>>>
>>> What else can I do or could this be a bug?
>>>

>> Quit using Virtualbox.
>
> /*_One of the objectives in this case, may have been to run _*//*_
> _*//*_a USB cut-sheet scanner. _*/And it happens to work under
> VirtualBox,
> with the VirtualBox USB passthru capability.
>
> QEMU KVM and friends (there are other skins for it), does
> a great job of running an OS, but I don't think it has
> USB passthru like VirtualBox or VMWare workstation player does.
>
> Even the Microsoft Hyper-V isn't perfect. It has USB passthru, but
> it is at the "class" level, rather than at the "USB packet" level.
> It might support a USB flash stick, during passthru, but maybe not
> work with a USB Bluetooth adapter, or a USB scanner. Half-hearted
> attempts at USB passthru, aren't very useful.
>
> There aren't too many candidate softwares, if you want USB passthru
> at the USB packet level (which allows the Guest OS to handle any
> USB device you throw at it).
>
>    Paul
Then It might be wiser to use a dedicated windows machine with full usb
compliment, rather than some hacked up vm, just barely dragging along in
Linux..

Re: Mint 21.2 beta

<u8h036$2hkv3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6401&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6401

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:12:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 13:12 UTC

On 7/9/2023 5:15 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> This was a clean install on an unused drive.
> I installed virtualbox from the repo but it doesn't come up. It just shows two small grey outlines above the panel before it puts up:
>
> "Virtualbox - critical error
> Failed to acquire the Virtualbox core object
> The application will now terminate"
>
> I have deleted the xml file in .cache/virtualbox. Uninstalled and reinstalled both via synaptic and from a download, checked that the kernel headers were downloaded and removed most of my remaning hair.
>
> What else can I do or could this be a bug?

Was this a clean install, with a /home retrofitted to the thing afterwards ?

Or a clean clean install, with nothing from your previous or dailydriver /home ?

Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria Cinn 6.1.38-dfsg-3-ubuntu1.22.04.1 VirtualBox
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera Cinn 6.1.38-dfsg-3-ubuntu1.22.04.1 VirtualBox

Seems to work here. Clean clean install. Then imported the same OVA I tested before.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/zf4zwFF4/LM21-2beta-vbox6138.gif

*******

The "Failed to acquire the Virtualbox core object" could be due to your
UserID not belonging to VBoxusers group. Something like that. Being "root"
to fix that, isn't quite as clever. I don't think you're supposed to fix it
that way.

It could be that your install has more than one user or something.

Paul

Re: Mint 21.2 beta

<20230710223042.6649feeab6f5136a05b1bc5e@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6403&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6403

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 22:30:42 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:30 UTC

On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:15:44 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> This was a clean install on an unused drive.
> I installed virtualbox from the repo but it doesn't come up. It just shows two small grey outlines above the panel before it puts up:
>
> "Virtualbox - critical error
> Failed to acquire the Virtualbox COM object
> The application will now terminate"
>
> I have deleted the xml file in .cache/virtualbox. Uninstalled and reinstalled both via synaptic and from a download, checked that the kernel headers were downloaded and removed most of my remaning hair.
>
> What else can I do or could this be a bug?

Installing from the terminal with: $ sudo apt install ....
produced an error message but
$ sudo dkpg -i ........ completed the install but it still wouldn't work.

However:
$ /usr/bin/virtualbox

The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded.

$ sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

Command not found

$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms

$ sudo apt --fix-broken install

$ sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

$ /usr/bin/virtualbox

OK

That's it job done. Thank you all for your encouragement.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8