19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

SubjectAuthor
* How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionFokke Nauta
+* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|+* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionBig Al
||+* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionVanguardLH
|||`- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionAndy Burnelli
||`* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|| +- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionAndy Burnelli
|| +* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionMayayana
|| |`* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionPaul
|| | +- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionMayayana
|| | `- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionMayayana
|| +- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionMayayana
|| `- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionMayayana
|+* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionBig Al
||+- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionAndy Burnelli
||`- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionAndy Burnelli
|+- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionZaidy036
|+- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionZaidy036
|`* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionZaidy036
| `* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|  `* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionZaidy036
|   `* [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september? (was: How to avoid WFrank Slootweg
|    +* Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september? (was: How to avoJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|    |`- Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?Frank Slootweg
|    `* Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?Paul
|     `- Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?Frank Slootweg
+* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionCoder Bucky Breeder
|+* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionAndy Burnelli
||+* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionZaidy036
|||`* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionAndy Burnelli
||| `- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionZaidy036
||`- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionArlen Holder
|`* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionFokke Nauta
| `* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|  +- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionKen Blake
|  `* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionFokke Nauta
|   `* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionKenW
|    `- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionFokke Nauta
+* Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionBig Al
|`- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionAndy Burnelli
+- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionPaul
`- Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permissionFokke Nauta

Pages:12
How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<jhr7ctFn3fsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64034&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64034

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:05:17 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:05 UTC

Hi all,

We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and Firedaemon
Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows is asking for
permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?

Many thanks beforehand.

Fokke Nauta

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<by3GL$NK1GuiFwDo@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64036&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64036

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:29:30 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:29 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 at 16:05:17, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>Hi all,
>
>We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.

you certainly can, but there is a 'group with a name that is identical
other than the last character where you might get a better answer ...
(-: [I've added it.]

>I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and
>Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows is
>asking for permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
>How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>
>Many thanks beforehand.
>
>Fokke Nauta

Where are you starting them from? If a desktop shortcut, or possibly
shortcuts elsewhere (start menu, pinned tile, QuickStart ...), you might
find something in the properties of that shortcut which will avoid that
prompt every time.

Yeah I was cleaning my keyboard and it went off. Sorry
- gfretwell@aol.com 2020-9-9

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<XnsAEC26DEA63987Ohmmmmmmm@85.12.62.219>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64039&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64039

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: Breeder_...@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out (Coder Bucky Breeder)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:48:18 GMT
 by: Coder Bucky Breeder - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:48 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> posted this:

https://winaero.com/windows-11-disable-user-account-control-uac/

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;

And *NO*, that is *NOT* a Jedi Light Saber I have in my pocket!

But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy to see you either.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9a14c$3v5g0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64041&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64041

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:22:35 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:22 UTC

On 6/26/22 10:05, this is what Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these
> apps, Windows is asking for permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>
> Many thanks beforehand.
>
> Fokke Nauta
If the program you are launching will edit/more/delete system files or protected files, then the program needs
permission to do that. This is what windows wants to do, it's protecting you in case some virus program launched a
program that edited system files... you'd get that prompt and you would be warned so you could not grant permissions.

Others have posted, you can disable this feature (UAC) but your weakening your security.

Ccleaner does something to disable UAC but only for itself. I don't know how but if you could duplicate that concept
then that would be better.

Al

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9a14e$14bq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64042&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64042

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 17:23:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:23 UTC

Coder Bucky Breeder wrote:

> https://winaero.com/windows-11-disable-user-account-control-uac/

There are a few fundamental ways to avoid UAC requests, most (if not all)
of which I've used and documented (many times) in this newsgroup (and I
think many of them are documented in alt.msdos.batch).

In summary, the _simplest_ is that was posted above (at least for Windows
10 it was); but that's the worst way in terms of security because it turns
off _all_ UAC requests.

The most common is to use a combination of a shortcut and the Windows task
scheduler. That's the best in terms of simplicity & security.

The least common (and most cryptic) is to use a batch file that turns it
off, where we've given the example of the liquidvpn killswitch batch file
many times on this newsgroup - but nobody (to my knowledge) has adapted
that batch file to a general purpose action.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9a18s$3v5g0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64043&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64043

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:25:00 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:25 UTC

On 6/26/22 10:29, this is what J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 at 16:05:17, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
>
> you certainly can, but there is a 'group with a name that is identical other than the last character where you might get
> a better answer ... (-: [I've added it.]
>
>> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these
>> apps, Windows is asking for permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
>> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>>
>> Many thanks beforehand.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> Where are you starting them from? If a desktop shortcut, or possibly shortcuts elsewhere (start menu, pinned tile,
> QuickStart ...), you might find something in the properties of that shortcut which will avoid that prompt every time.
If the program you are launching will edit/more/delete system files or protected files, then the program needs
permission to do that. This is what windows wants to do, it's protecting you in case some virus program launched a
program that edited system files... you'd get that prompt and you would be warned so you could not grant permissions.

Others have posted, you can disable this feature (UAC) but your weakening your security.

Ccleaner does something to disable UAC but only for itself. I don't know how but if you could duplicate that concept
then that would be better.

Al

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9a19h$3v5gh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64044&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64044

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:25:21 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:25 UTC

On 6/26/22 10:29, this is what J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 at 16:05:17, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
>
> you certainly can, but there is a 'group with a name that is identical other than the last character where you might get
> a better answer ... (-: [I've added it.]
>
>> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these
>> apps, Windows is asking for permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
>> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>>
>> Many thanks beforehand.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> Where are you starting them from? If a desktop shortcut, or possibly shortcuts elsewhere (start menu, pinned tile,
> QuickStart ...), you might find something in the properties of that shortcut which will avoid that prompt every time.
If the program you are launching will edit/more/delete system files or protected files, then the program needs
permission to do that. This is what windows wants to do, it's protecting you in case some virus program launched a
program that edited system files... you'd get that prompt and you would be warned so you could not grant permissions.

Others have posted, you can disable this feature (UAC) but your weakening your security.

Ccleaner does something to disable UAC but only for itself. I don't know how but if you could duplicate that concept
then that would be better.

Al

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9a1dv$18hi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64045&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64045

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 17:28:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:28 UTC

Big Al wrote:

> Ccleaner does something to disable UAC but only for itself. I don't know how but if you could duplicate that concept
> then that would be better.

While anyone can easily make a windows task scheduler action to run any
given command with elevated privileges (hence there is no UAC prompt), the
most graceful ways, and yet the most cryptic, are how both LiquidVPN does
it for their network killswitch and how programs like CCleaner manage to do
it.

I "think" I recall that Ccleaner uses the standard windows task scheduler,
but I'd have to look it up on this newsgroup (which the OP can do as I am
in a rush) where we've covered all of these methods many times.

Fundamentally, the methods we've covered (as I recall) are:
a. Total turn off (not recommended for the obvious reasons)
b. Selective turn off (which is what CCleaner and liquidVPN killswitch do.

For selective turn off I think there are two known methods:
a. shortcut + elevated task
b. vbs tricks

As I said, the Ccleaner, as I recall, simply uses the shortcut + elevated
task scheduler setup (which we've covered many times on this newsgroup).

The liquidVPN method is more cryptic (and potentially more elegant as it
requires nothing more than a batch script).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<5twb8jsvcrmx.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64048&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64048

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:48:15 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:48 UTC

Big Al wrote:

> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>
>>> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and
>>> Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps,
>>> Windows is asking for permission to allow them to start. I must
>>> click on "yes". How can I avoid this action and can start these
>>> apps straight away?
>
> If the program you are launching will edit/more/delete system files or
> protected files, then the program needs permission to do that. This
> is what windows wants to do, it's protecting you in case some virus
> program launched a program that edited system files... you'd get that
> prompt and you would be warned so you could not grant permissions.
>
> Others have posted, you can disable this feature (UAC) but your
> weakening your security.
>
> Ccleaner does something to disable UAC but only for itself. I don't
> know how but if you could duplicate that concept then that would be
> better.

CCleaner uses a scheduled event that is configured to run with elevated
privileges. Go into Task Scheduler under the Task Scheduler Library
tree node to find an event called CcleanerSkipUAC. If the event is
defined, and when you run Ccleaner, it will use the scheduled event to
run itself. Sceduled events with elevated privileges don't trigger the
UAC prompt.

Using Task Scheduler events to define events with elevated privileges is
an old trick (well, ever since UAC appeared in Windows 7) to get around
the UAC prompt without having to disable UAC.

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-programs-elevated-without-getting-the-uac-prompt/

While the article mentions running the program by using schtasks.exe to
run the scheduled event for the program, programs can themselves call
scheduled events. For programs that don't directly call scheduled
events (by their name, so don't rename the scheduled event), you can
define a shortcut that runs "schtasks.exe /run /tn <eventName>". I
haven't needed to do this, but I suspect you will need to configure the
shortcut so itself runs as elevated (with admin privs).

There are some tools to assist in doing this setup: define the scheduled
event with elevated privileges, and create a shortcut to run the event.
Winaero Tweaker is one. Under its tree of tweaks, under Shortcuts ->
Elevated Shortcut, it shows a form you fill in: the target (program you
want to run), any args to it, a starting/working directory, and where
you want the new shortcut stored. With many of its tweaks, there is a
link to a web page describing how the tweaks work. For this one, the
link points to:

https://winaero.com/create-elevated-shortcut-to-skip-uac-prompt-in-windows-10/

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9a3hk$3vdf0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64049&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64049

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 13:03:48 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 17:03 UTC

On 6/26/2022 10:05 AM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows is asking for permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>
> Many thanks beforehand.
>
> Fokke Nauta

I see you're already playing with fire.

https://www.firedaemon.com/firedaemon-pro

* You can turn off UAC entirely. Any application
that "wants" to elevate, just does it, and you're
oblivious to what happens after that. Double click an
attachment in Outlook, and now, suddenly, the machine
is owned by ransomware (which got a free auto-elevation
delivered on a platter to it).

* Enable Real Administrator account and log in as Real Administrator.
Now, everything you do is elevated. Now, you're "reading Email as Root".
What a feeling of power. Your mom will be impressed when she receives
an email from "root@127.0.0.1" :-) But then, that reduces Windows 11
operation to be at the level of Windows 98... completely defenseless.

* While you can add a user to the Backup Operators group, that
only helps with backups and not with restores. Teracopy will still
ask for elevation. Backup Operators was great in the mainframe
era, where Sherri could load tapes all day long and just hit return,
and she was a member of the Backup Operators group. The ugly boss
would do restores, if restores were needed. This is because restores
erase entire disk contents and are dangerous. Whereas making backups
is mostly harmless if done properly.

If you do Properties:Compatibility on the .exe, there is a
"Run this program as an Administrator" right below the
"enable Compatibility mode" tick box. But your programs are already
attempting to elevate, which is where the UAC prompt is coming from.

While you can use Task Scheduler (and make up a trigger event
similar to double-clicking the program), Task Scheduler may have
been modified to prevent interactive sessions. It's normally
used for more "faceless" scripting. Windows XP had the very
convenient "at" command, which allowed starting command prompt
at 5:06PM and running it with the SYSTEM account for permissions.
But that was considered to be a security hole, which is why it
was removed (the Administrator may not be sitting in front
of the computer, when the "at" starts to run), and the current
Task Scheduler is more inconvenient to get anything done.

*******

very ugly decisions you could make.

It means you have one less prevention against
trivial-flavored malware, like in phishing email attachments.
Double click that GoDaddy invoice attachment, and the attachment is
now running as Administrator, without you giving permission
for it to do that.

I would agree that UAC is not much in the way of protection,
but even if it is cosmetic-only, it is still "worth it".

Paul

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<KCnCH3XIGQuiFwCC@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64057&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64057

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 02:02:00 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 01:02 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 at 12:25:00, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote (my
[]
>If the program you are launching will edit/more/delete system files or
>protected files, then the program needs permission to do that. This is
>what windows wants to do, it's protecting you in case some virus
>program launched a program that edited system files... you'd get that
>prompt and you would be warned so you could not grant permissions.
[]
There must be more to it than that, though: the UAC "do you want to
allow ..." prompt seems to come up when you try to _start_ the offending
prog., before it actually runs, so I can't see how Windows knows it is
going to try to touch system files. Or at least that's how it looks.
(Unless it remembers from last time the software was run. But I don't
think that's the case.)

"You _are_ Zaphod Beeblebrox? _The_ Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
"No, just _a_ Zaphod Beeblebrox. I come in six-packs." (from the link episode)

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9b40k$1m47$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64058&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64058

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 03:18:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 02:18 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> With many of its tweaks, there is a
> link to a web page describing how the tweaks work. For this one, the
> link points to:
>
> https://winaero.com/create-elevated-shortcut-to-skip-uac-prompt-in-windows-10/

What nobody seems to know yet, as far as I've ever ascertained from reading
this newsgroup, is _how_ this batch file accomplishes that task of
disabling the UAC prompt _without_ needing anything else (and specifically,
without needing the task scheduler trick that Vanguard speaks about above).
1. <https://www.raymond.cc/blog/automatic-vpn-kill-switch/>
2. <https://www.raymond.cc/blog/download/did/3746/> (passwd=raymondcc)
3. <https://www.raymond.cc/blog/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=3746>

I'll post the full text to the killswitch separately.
I, for one, would love to know how it disables UAC so beautifully.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information,
and, in this case, to ask those who know how the darn things does it.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9b45s$1nhe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64059&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64059

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 03:21:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 02:21 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> There must be more to it than that, though: the UAC "do you want to
> allow ..." prompt seems to come up when you try to _start_ the offending
> prog., before it actually runs, so I can't see how Windows knows it is
> going to try to touch system files. Or at least that's how it looks.
> (Unless it remembers from last time the software was run. But I don't
> think that's the case.)

The included file turns off UAC inside a single batch script.
1. <https://www.raymond.cc/blog/automatic-vpn-kill-switch/>
2. <https://www.raymond.cc/blog/download/did/3746/> (passwd=raymondcc)
3. <https://www.raymond.cc/blog/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=3746>

If anyone can cut this file down to _just_ the two parts:
a. The part that runs the command, and,
b. The part that turns off UAC when that command is run...
Then, everyone would benefit from your efforts to help all.

@echo off
:: GetAdmin
:-------------------------------------
:: Verify permissions
>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"
:: On Error No Admin
if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
echo Getting administrative privileges...
goto DoUAC
) else ( goto getAdmin )
:DoUAC
echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
set params = %*:"=""
echo UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/c %~s0 %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
exit /B
:getAdmin
pushd "%CD%"
CD /D "%~dp0"
:--------------------------------------

@echo off
:: CHANGE DEFAULT GW IP BELOW
set defgw=192.168.0.1

@For /f "tokens=3" %%1 in (
'route.exe print 0.0.0.0 ^|findstr "\<0.0.0.0.*0.0.0.0\>"') Do set defgw=%%1
cls
:start
cls
echo.
color 0C
echo LiquidVPN's Simple VPN Kill Switch, ver. 0.1 - by LiquidVPN
echo.
echo.
echo Your routers gateway is probably "%defgw%"
echo -if nothing appears or its incorrect, add it manually (Press '3')
echo.
echo USAGE:
echo.
echo -Press "1" to Enable Kill Switch (IP "%defgw%")
echo -Press "2" to Disable Kill Switch (IP "%defgw%")
echo -Press "3" to manually set default gateway if its not detected above.
echo -Press "h" for Kill Switch Help
echo -Press "x" to exit Kill Switch.
echo.
set /p option=Your option:
if '%option%'=='1' goto :option1
if '%option%'=='2' goto :option2
if '%option%'=='3' goto :option3
if '%option%'=='x' goto :exit
if '%option%'=='h' goto :help
echo Insert 1, 2, x or h
timeout 3
goto start
:option1
route delete 0.0.0.0 %defgw%
echo Default gateway "%defgw%" removed
timeout 3
goto start
:option2
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 %defgw%
echo Defaulte gateway "%defgw%" restored
timeout 3
goto start
:option3
echo
set /p defgw=your gw IP (e.g. 192.168.0.1):
goto start
:help
cls
echo.
echo.
echo ======================
echo This simple kill switch removes your default gateway
echo and blocks traffic from reaching the internet when
echo your VPN gets disconnected.
echo.
echo Here is how you use it.
echo.
echo Step 1: Connect to LiquidVPN
echo Step 2: Enable LiquidVPN's Kill Switch (option "1")
echo.
echo Now Any internet traffic will pass through LiquidVPN only.
echo.
echo - If your VPN gets disconnected so will your internet.
echo - Disable the Kill Switch and reconnect.
echo.
echo.
echo When you disconnect from LiquidVPN follow these steps
echo to reconnect or to browse the internet normally.
echo.
echo Step 1: Close any software that may leak your real IP
echo Step 2: Disable the LiquidVPN kill switch (Option "2")
echo Step 3: Reconnect to LiquidVPN and enable the kill switch (Option "1")
echo.
timeout /T -1
goto start
:exit
exit
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9b4f5$1pu8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64060&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64060

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 03:26:05 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 02:26 UTC

Big Al wrote:

> Ccleaner does something to disable UAC but only for itself.
> I don't know how but if you could duplicate that concept
> then that would be better.

You can easily duplicate what CCleaner does (as explained elsewhere in this
thread); but what's more elegant than using the task scheduler and a
shortcut, is simply using this batch script.
<https://raymondcc.r.worldssl.net/LiquidVPN-Kill-Switch-3746.zip>
passwd=raymondcc

It can be adapted to turn off UAC for any arbitrary Windows command.

When the OP adapts this batch file to his situation, I simply ask he post
the results so that the rest of us learn from his successful efforts.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<jht339F1s9tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64066&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64066

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 09:04:09 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 07:04 UTC

On 26/06/2022 17:48, Coder Bucky Breeder wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> posted this:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
>> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and Firedaemon
>> Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows is asking for
>> permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
>> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>>
>> Many thanks beforehand.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>

> https://winaero.com/windows-11-disable-user-account-control-uac/

Thanks, that worked!

Fokke

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<jht350F1s9tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64067&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64067

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 09:05:04 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 07:05 UTC

On 26/06/2022 16:05, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and Firedaemon
> Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows is asking for
> permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>
> Many thanks beforehand.
>
> Fokke Nauta

The problem has been solved.

Thanks for all your messages.

Fokke Nauta

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<H1zxK+jbJauiFwAA@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64071&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64071

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:28:11 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 12:28 UTC

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 at 09:04:09, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On 26/06/2022 17:48, Coder Bucky Breeder wrote:
>> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> posted this:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
>>> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and Firedaemon
>>> Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows is asking for
>>> permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
>>> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>>>
>>> Many thanks beforehand.
>>>
>>> Fokke Nauta
>> https://winaero.com/windows-11-disable-user-account-control-uac/
>>

>Thanks, that worked!
>
>Fokke

Did it just turn off all UAC-prompt appearances (i. e. put you on a
lower overall security level), or let you stop it appearing just for
specific things?

"Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum." Translation: "Garbage in, garbage out."

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9c81q$g40u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64072&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64072

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 08:32:45 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 12:32 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote

| There must be more to it than that, though: the UAC "do you want to
| allow ..." prompt seems to come up when you try to _start_ the offending
| prog., before it actually runs, so I can't see how Windows knows it is
| going to try to touch system files. Or at least that's how it looks.
| (Unless it remembers from last time the software was run. But I don't
| think that's the case.)

I seem to remember that MS was going to start requiring "digital
signatures" on Win32 software, but I can't find the article now.
That could be what the Win11 change is about. In any case, anyone
who keeps UAC at anything above the bottom setting is asking
to be harassed.

"Are you sure you want to flush to toilet now? Toilet flushing
has been associated with bathoroom flooding under some
situations. Proceed anyway?"

Probably not | No Way | Let me think about it

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<6ebjbht7fiahj3ur3ndrcts9q6e2qb7cjd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64077&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64077

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 06:18:46 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:18 UTC

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:28:11 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 at 09:04:09, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote
>(my responses usually FOLLOW):
>>On 26/06/2022 17:48, Coder Bucky Breeder wrote:
>>> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> posted this:

>>> https://winaero.com/windows-11-disable-user-account-control-uac/
>>>

>>Thanks, that worked!
>>
>>Fokke
>
>Did it just turn off all UAC-prompt appearances (i. e. put you on a
>lower overall security level), or let you stop it appearing just for
>specific things?

It disables it completely. Yes, it technically puts you at a slightly
lower level of security, but as far as I'm concerned, UAC is nearly
useless and it's a nuisance. I've long had it disabled.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9co7c$kdgm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64086&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64086

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:08:59 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:08 UTC

On 6/26/2022 10:29 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 at 16:05:17, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote
> (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
>
> you certainly can, but there is a 'group with a name that is identical
> other than the last character where you might get a better answer ...
> (-: [I've added it.]
>
>> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and
>> Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows
>> is asking for permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
>> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>>
>> Many thanks beforehand.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> Where are you starting them from? If a desktop shortcut, or possibly
> shortcuts elsewhere (start menu, pinned tile, QuickStart ...), you might
> find something in the properties of that shortcut which will avoid that
> prompt every time.
One alternative is to leave UAC active but run a program from a batch
initiated from a shortcut which uses a "button pusher" like PTFBpro to
acknowledge the UAC. That way when you run from the shortcut UAC is
accepted but if something else tries to run a program UAC is still invoked.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9co96$ke1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64087&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64087

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:09:57 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:09 UTC

On 6/26/2022 10:29 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 at 16:05:17, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote
> (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
>
> you certainly can, but there is a 'group with a name that is identical
> other than the last character where you might get a better answer ...
> (-: [I've added it.]
>
>> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and
>> Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows
>> is asking for permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
>> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>>
>> Many thanks beforehand.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> Where are you starting them from? If a desktop shortcut, or possibly
> shortcuts elsewhere (start menu, pinned tile, QuickStart ...), you might
> find something in the properties of that shortcut which will avoid that
> prompt every time.

One alternative is to leave UAC active but run a program from a batch
initiated from a shortcut which uses a "button pusher" like PTFBpro to
acknowledge the UAC. That way when you run from the shortcut UAC is
accepted but if something else tries to run a program UAC is still invoked.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9cob1$ken8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64088&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64088

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:10:57 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:10 UTC

On 6/26/2022 10:29 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 at 16:05:17, Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote
> (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a laptop with Windows 11. Hope I can ask it in this usenet group.
>
> you certainly can, but there is a 'group with a name that is identical
> other than the last character where you might get a better answer ...
> (-: [I've added it.]
>
>> I have installed a few applications, under which Teracopy and
>> Firedaemon Pro. The problem is that when I start these apps, Windows
>> is asking for permission to allow them to start. I must click on "yes".
>> How can I avoid this action and can start these apps straight away?
>>
>> Many thanks beforehand.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> Where are you starting them from? If a desktop shortcut, or possibly
> shortcuts elsewhere (start menu, pinned tile, QuickStart ...), you might
> find something in the properties of that shortcut which will avoid that
> prompt every time.
One alternative is to leave UAC active but run a program from a batch
initiated from a shortcut which uses a "button pusher" like PTFBpro to
acknowledge the UAC. That way when you run from the shortcut UAC is
accepted but if something else tries to run a program UAC is still invoked.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9cocg$kf3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64089&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64089

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:11:43 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:11 UTC

On 6/26/2022 12:23 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Coder Bucky Breeder wrote:
>
>> https://winaero.com/windows-11-disable-user-account-control-uac/
>
> There are a few fundamental ways to avoid UAC requests, most (if not all)
> of which I've used and documented (many times) in this newsgroup (and I
> think many of them are documented in alt.msdos.batch).
>
> In summary, the _simplest_ is that was posted above (at least for Windows
> 10 it was); but that's the worst way in terms of security because it turns
> off _all_ UAC requests.
>
> The most common is to use a combination of a shortcut and the Windows task
> scheduler. That's the best in terms of simplicity & security.
>
> The least common (and most cryptic) is to use a batch file that turns it
> off, where we've given the example of the liquidvpn killswitch batch file
> many times on this newsgroup - but nobody (to my knowledge) has adapted
> that batch file to a general purpose action.
One alternative is to leave UAC active but run a program from a batch
initiated from a shortcut which uses a "button pusher" like PTFBpro to
acknowledge the UAC. That way when you run from the shortcut UAC is
accepted but if something else tries to run a program UAC is still invoked.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9cq49$3og$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64090&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64090

Followup: news.lists.filters
From: spa...@nospam.com (Arlen Holder)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:36:05 +0100
 by: Arlen Holder - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:36 UTC

On 26/06/2022 17:23, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> In summary, the _simplest_ is that was posted above (at least for Windows
> 10 it was);

The _simplest_ I have found is to use Linux and Windows can't do anything about it. I suggest try it and let us know if windows is in it.

Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission

<t9cr4c$l6c0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64091&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64091

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:58:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:58 UTC

On 6/27/2022 8:32 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote
>
> | There must be more to it than that, though: the UAC "do you want to
> | allow ..." prompt seems to come up when you try to _start_ the offending
> | prog., before it actually runs, so I can't see how Windows knows it is
> | going to try to touch system files. Or at least that's how it looks.
> | (Unless it remembers from last time the software was run. But I don't
> | think that's the case.)
>
> I seem to remember that MS was going to start requiring "digital
> signatures" on Win32 software, but I can't find the article now.
> That could be what the Win11 change is about. In any case, anyone
> who keeps UAC at anything above the bottom setting is asking
> to be harassed.
>
> "Are you sure you want to flush to toilet now? Toilet flushing
> has been associated with bathoroom flooding under some
> situations. Proceed anyway?"
>
> Probably not | No Way | Let me think about it

At the very least, signatures are required for driver software.
Because they run in the same ring as the kernel.

And the manifest for a Microsoft Store App probably has a signature,
as they can detect corrupt packages on your C: drive during the load attempt.

My copy of Hello World, which runs unelevated, there should be
nothing checking that. By being unelevated, I'm not supposed to
get into trouble.

Paul

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission