We'll pivot at warp 2 and bring all tubes to bear, Mr. Sulu!

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

SubjectAuthor
* "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good166p1
+* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For GoodThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONSChristopher Conforti
+* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONSRichard Kettlewell
|`* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For GoodThe Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONSSteve Hayes
|  +* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good166p1
|  |+* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONSRichard Kettlewell
|  ||`- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For GoodThe Natural Philosopher
|  |`- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONSSteve Hayes
|  `- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For GoodThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONSAnt
|`* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And ForpH
| `* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For GoodIterator Revamps
|  `* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And ForpH
|   `- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good25.BX943
+* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For GoodBobbie Sellers
|`- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good166p1
+* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONSAndreas Kohlbach
|`* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For GoodThe Natural Philosopher
| +* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONSAndreas Kohlbach
| |`- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For GoodThe Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And ForCharlie Gibbs
|  `- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good166p1
`* Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And ForMarco Moock
 `- Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good166p1

Pages:12
"Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<yeCdnZSZVM-Zdwj8nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6406&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6406

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Subject: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good
REASONS
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 00:52:03 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 05:52 UTC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10209349/Passwords-123456-password-popular.html

Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
to use their own name, report reveals

The annual NordPass Most Common Passwords report revealed common
trends. It found that people are still using very simple and easy
to guess passwords including '123456', 'password' and 'qwerty'
which can be cracked in a second. There were local and gender
differences including sports teams as passwords.

.. . . .

SysAdmin ??? Well THIS is what you're up against - and
it's NOT going to change.

Users would rather live with unknown risks than suffer
with passwords and other procedures that are impossible
to remember or a pain to cope with. They WILL find a
way around difficult edicts - or they'll quit and take
all their job experience with them.

But, when it goes bad, the SysAdmins get the blame.

Look, cybercommerce/cyberbanking SOUNDED great. But
people are NOT going to cope with "dffNs%h##fj3d7xuz"
passwords plus text-messages on smartphones they may
not even own plus biometrics that won't recognize
you if you grew a beard or cut your thumb or dropped
20 pounds plus inscruitable captchas. And WHY don't
you know the name of your maiden aunts 3rd cousin's
favorite pet gerbil ???!!!

Nobody is going to put up with such shit.

Sorry, but "convenient" was one of the main drives
behind online commerce/banking. Now they feel they
have to make it as INconvenient as possible just to
stay half a step ahead of cyberCRIME. This is NOT
working out.

I'll tell you the solution ... and you won't like it ...
physically go TO your bank and do business with bits
of PAPER in front of people there who KNOW your face.
SHOP online, but print the order form, fill it out
in ink, and physically MAIL it to the seller. Might
not hurt to include a PAPER *CHECK* inside to cover
the purchase - again something tangible, something
they'll at least have to scan. Use a Sharpie pen
to write the check too - something that can't be
washed out.

Oh, and you can go to physical STORES ... they have
all kinds of interesting things on big rows of
shelves ... and there's a thing called "cash" you
can use to buy those fascinating items.

This 1950-ish approach WILL thwart crime. Because
of human nature, NOTHING will thwart it using
todays methods. 'Convenient' for you ? PARADISE
for the cybercriminals and cyberterrorists.

This is the horrible bitter Truth, and you KNOW it.

SysAdmin ? Contract ? Slip "NOT responsible for events
resulting from users employing poor passwords/technique"
in there. If they won't accept that - QUIT - you'll be
saving yourself endless trouble. Put them on the blacklist
at all the job-search sites.

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<sn51d7$noa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6408&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6408

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
REASONS
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 08:03:51 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 08:03 UTC

On 18/11/2021 05:52, 166p1 wrote:
> Oh, and you can go to physical STORES ... they have
> all kinds of interesting things on big rows of
> shelves ... and there's a thing called "cash" you
> can use to buy those fascinating items.
>
> This 1950-ish approach WILL thwart crime. Because
> of human nature, NOTHING will thwart it using
> todays methods. 'Convenient' for you ? PARADISE
> for the cybercriminals and cyberterrorists.

Carry cash around? and get short changed and get mugged, like we did in
the 1950s? Not to mention te retailer denying the transaction ever took
place as there is no record of it? no thanks!

It's easier to dream up passwords that are instantly memorable to you,
but unguessable by anyone else....

GimmeMyDollar$ok!

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<87o86h961f.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6409&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6409

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:17:32 +0000
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:17 UTC

166p1 <z24ba6.net> writes:

> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10209349/Passwords-123456-password-popular.html
>
> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
> most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
> to use their own name, report reveals
[...]
> But, when it goes bad, the SysAdmins get the blame.

Websites should certainly be rejecting well-known passwords.

> Look, cybercommerce/cyberbanking SOUNDED great. But
> people are NOT going to cope with "dffNs%h##fj3d7xuz"
> passwords plus text-messages on smartphones they may
> not even own plus biometrics that won't recognize
> you if you grew a beard or cut your thumb or dropped
> 20 pounds plus inscruitable captchas. And WHY don't
> you know the name of your maiden aunts 3rd cousin's
> favorite pet gerbil ???!!!
>
> Nobody is going to put up with such shit.
>
> Sorry, but "convenient" was one of the main drives
> behind online commerce/banking. Now they feel they
> have to make it as INconvenient as possible just to
> stay half a step ahead of cyberCRIME. This is NOT
> working out.
>
> I'll tell you the solution ...

Use a password manager.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<sn56vo$nnr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6410&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6410

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
REASONS
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:39:04 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:39 UTC

On 18/11/2021 09:17, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
>> I'll tell you the solution ...
> Use a password manager.

indeed.

I have passwords for so many odd accounts - now mostly I let firefox
handle the ones that don't involve money.

But a password manger handles the 'once a year' usage ones.
I cant remember what I typed in to woolly-jumpers.com 18 months ago...

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<zIKdnU0usJdNuwv8nZ2dnUU7-L2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6411&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6411

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 04:11:28 -0600
 by: Ant - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:11 UTC

People don't care. It will be forever. :(

--
Is summer finally over? Weather, buggy and slammy life are so crazy! Being old sucks. :(
| |o o| |

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<sn5spl$k9l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6414&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6414

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
REASONS
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 07:51:15 -0800
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 15:51 UTC

On 11/17/21 21:52, 166p1 wrote:
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10209349/Passwords-123456-password-popular.html
>

> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
> most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
> to use their own name, report reveals
>
> The annual NordPass Most Common Passwords report revealed common
> trends.  It found that people are still using very simple and easy
> to guess passwords including '123456', 'password' and 'qwerty'
> which can be cracked in a second. There were local and gender
> differences including sports teams as passwords.

Well this password choice needs to be a relegated to a password
generator which Prints the Password on the screen with instruction to
all applicants and tell them to write it down, reenter it to be sure
that they have it and then all sign on again for access. It will
have to be a uniform requirement across all platforms, Then the
usual security questions in case a notebook is lost.

Just my humble User's opinion.

bliss -bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
and a minor case of hypergraphia

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<87czmxmm5s.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6415&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6415

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 12:03:11 -0500
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 17:03 UTC

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 00:52:03 -0500, 166p1 <z24ba6.net> wrote:

> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10209349/Passwords-123456-password-popular.html
>
> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
> most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
> to use their own name, report reveals

"They" wont ever learn. My bet is that 123456 is still people's favorite
password in 2030.
--
Andreas

https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<sn64if$i7v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6417&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6417

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
REASONS
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:03:59 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:03 UTC

On 18/11/2021 17:03, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 00:52:03 -0500, 166p1 <z24ba6.net> wrote:
>>
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10209349/Passwords-123456-password-popular.html
>>
>> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
>> most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
>> to use their own name, report reveals
>
> "They" wont ever learn. My bet is that 123456 is still people's favorite
> password in 2030.

You think people will still be able to count in 2030?

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<20211118201340.67c1ba31@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6418&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6418

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For
Good REASONS
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 20:13:40 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 19:13 UTC

Am Thu, 18 Nov 2021 00:52:03 -0500
schrieb 166p1 <z24ba6.net>:

> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
> most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
> to use their own name, report reveals
No, people will not learn that. They also don't care about it.
If their accounts get hacked, they will be disabled and they can't use
the service anymore. This is the only way they learn that.

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<87o86glxnc.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6419&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6419

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 20:52:39 -0500
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 01:52 UTC

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:03:59 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> On 18/11/2021 17:03, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>
>> "They" wont ever learn. My bet is that 123456 is still people's
>> favorite
>> password in 2030.
>>
> You think people will still be able to count in 2030?

Do they today?

But I was about to add "...if mankind still exists in 2030".
--
Andreas

https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<1n3epg17gbac6hfd6j48r5gf1iqbor6dit@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6420&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6420

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 04:46:58 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 02:46 UTC

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:39:04 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I have passwords for so many odd accounts - now mostly I let firefox
>handle the ones that don't involve money.

Ditto.

>But a password manger handles the 'once a year' usage ones.
>I cant remember what I typed in to woolly-jumpers.com 18 months ago...

I use a password-protected database program to record all passwords.
No doubt if someone stole my computer they could eventually crack it,
but I doubt rhar even one in a hundred computer thieves would bother
to do that. They'd either use it or flog it.

And when asked for a password on a site I pick up the nearest book,
pick a word from the title, or a random word from a random page, add a
couple of non-alphanumeric characters, and put that in my database.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<gBElJ.39167$QB1.29554@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6421&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6421

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Good REASONS
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 03:11:08 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 03:11 UTC

On 2021-11-18, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 18/11/2021 17:03, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 00:52:03 -0500, 166p1 <z24ba6.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10209349/Passwords-123456-password-popular.html
>>>
>>> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
>>> most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
>>> to use their own name, report reveals
>>
>> "They" wont ever learn. My bet is that 123456 is still people's favorite
>> password in 2030.
>
> You think people will still be able to count in 2030?

"There's an app for that."

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<VeOdnXjD_97FgQr8nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6422&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6422

REASONS
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 22:39:03 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 03:39 UTC

On 11/18/21 9:46 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:39:04 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I have passwords for so many odd accounts - now mostly I let firefox
>> handle the ones that don't involve money.
>
> Ditto.
>
>> But a password manger handles the 'once a year' usage ones.
>> I cant remember what I typed in to woolly-jumpers.com 18 months ago...
>
> I use a password-protected database program to record all passwords.
> No doubt if someone stole my computer they could eventually crack it,
> but I doubt rhar even one in a hundred computer thieves would bother
> to do that. They'd either use it or flog it.
>
> And when asked for a password on a site I pick up the nearest book,
> pick a word from the title, or a random word from a random page, add a
> couple of non-alphanumeric characters, and put that in my database.

They don't have to crack it really - they just have to
pretend to be you - open the thing and read the plaintext
entries. There are also person-in-the-middle approaches
as the manager effectively types the real PW to the
online form which may, or may NOT, be real.

So, don't count on a gimmick to solve The Problem here.

Oh, and if yer box crashes, how do YOU remember the
obscure passwords ? Got 'em written down somewhere -
oh wait, nobody "writes" anymore ... they're in
a word-processing file somewhere, aren't they ?

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<DaednSrKeuRZvQr8nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6423&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6423

REASONS
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 22:57:55 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 03:57 UTC

On 11/18/21 10:51 AM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 11/17/21 21:52, 166p1 wrote:
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10209349/Passwords-123456-password-popular.html
>>

>> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
>> most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
>> to use their own name, report reveals
>>
>> The annual NordPass Most Common Passwords report revealed common
>> trends.  It found that people are still using very simple and easy
>> to guess passwords including '123456', 'password' and 'qwerty'
>> which can be cracked in a second. There were local and gender
>> differences including sports teams as passwords.
>
>     Well this password choice needs to be a relegated to a password
> generator which Prints the Password on the screen with instruction to
> all applicants and tell them to write it down, reenter it to be sure
> that they have it and then all sign on again for access.  It will
> have to be a uniform requirement across all platforms,  Then the
> usual security questions in case a notebook is lost.

Check online about how to tweak PAM so it will
accept a period as a password. There are probably
handy scripts. Laziness always finds a way to win.

And corporations - make it too much of a pain and
everybody does business elsewhere. I've even just
about had it with Amazon - but I do keep track of
who THEY buy from ... and sometimes the price is
even better if you buy direct.

You want 'convenience' the way an anti-vaxxer wants
to pretend Covid is a hoax - or that some gimmick
pill will save them (there MAY be a couple NOW,
but there are also serious concerns about genetic
damage because of the way they work).

Face it, if giant corporations, federal agencies,
major utilities and even your local hospital can
be hacked - YOU can be hacked. Can be a simple
as a fake login page for your bank to keyloggers
to man (person?)-in-the-middle action. And when
you made those passwords, did you put them into
a word-processing doc on your box ??? Mine are
ON PAPER, you remember paper, right ?

<L9udnao0P996twr8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6424&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6424

REASONS
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 23:41:11 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 04:41 UTC

On 11/18/21 2:13 PM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Thu, 18 Nov 2021 00:52:03 -0500
> schrieb 166p1 <z24ba6.net>:
>
>> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
>> most popular passwords in the world – while many users continue
>> to use their own name, report reveals
> No, people will not learn that. They also don't care about it.
> If their accounts get hacked, they will be disabled and they can't use
> the service anymore. This is the only way they learn that.

Probably not even then.

Amazon UK has announced that it will no longer be
accepting VISA starting Jan 1 because the transaction
fee VISA charges is too high. But WHY is it too high ?
Because their banks are super-greedy ? Not quite. It's
because SO many people get their numbers STOLEN and
the banks at least have to do a fair job of pretending
you're not scammin' when you say YOU didn't buy 'X'.
The transaction fee is really a fraud-recovery fee.
And less VISA use just means the others will get scammed
all the more and THEIR fees will become impossible to
ignore .......

Credit cards, phone and online orders, all started in
a different social environment - where people WERE
more honest and you didn't have to worry about
Romanian hackers.

Oh, Amazon UK *will* keep accepting VISA *debit cards*.
Why ? Because the rules on recovering ripped-off money
are a LOT more restrictive for debit cards. Basically
the banks can say "Sorry Sucker - now Fuck Off".
Never keep more in one of those accounts than you're
willing to lose - and DO disconnect that account from
any others you have. Actually, disconnect ALL accounts
from each other, no "overdraft protection" either where
they steal from account 'B' to pay for account 'A'.

A few banks USED to offer a funky service that would
give you a fake CC number - good for an amount, and
time range, you specified. At least at the time the
hackers weren't into THAT service. Maybe it's time
to revive something like that. But how will they
keep out the hackers NOW that all their servers are
conveniently, cheaply, remotely managed with SolarWinds
or equivalent ?

My favorite hack story had to do with Target stores.
The hacks didn't bother to breech the company database,
they hacked the little terminals at the counter people
stuck their cards into .....

Cash money at the Wal-Mart - still the safest way.
Now if we can just get them to accept gold ... :-)

Hmm ... there ARE x-ray based scanners - hand-held -
that can give you an elemental/percentage readout
in about a second for any alloy. With that, paying
in gold and silver really COULD make a comeback ...

Oh well, anyway ... I think I've brought up a valid issue
for the modern world. Hyper-security is needed - but it's
SUCH a pain in the ass that people won't put up with it
and gimmicks will only get you just so far, just so much
protection, just so much convenience. We need a whole
new thing - or a very old thing - and I don't SEE it.

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<87ilwo8s6l.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6425&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6425

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:29:06 +0000
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:29 UTC

166p1 <z24ba6.net> writes:
> Oh, and if yer box crashes, how do YOU remember the
> obscure passwords ?

Restore from backups.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<sn7p3s$8jk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6426&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6426

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
REASONS
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:00:44 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:00 UTC

On 19/11/2021 01:52, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:03:59 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>> On 18/11/2021 17:03, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>>
>>> "They" wont ever learn. My bet is that 123456 is still people's
>>> favorite
>>> password in 2030.
>>>
>> You think people will still be able to count in 2030?
>
> Do they today?
>
> But I was about to add "...if mankind still exists in 2030".

There is a reason why some people are called 'dumb fucks'

Intelligence is not always a survival asset.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that
authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frédéric Bastiat

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<sn7pan$bpi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6427&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6427

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
REASONS
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:04:22 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:04 UTC

On 19/11/2021 02:46, Steve Hayes wrote:
> And when asked for a password on a site I pick up the nearest book,
> pick a word from the title, or a random word from a random page, add a
> couple of non-alphanumeric characters, and put that in my database.

I used to use either old car registration numbers - random 7 character
alphanumerics - or look out of the window and use the first thing I saw.
'red.bus' or 'hot!chick' and so on.

Its not getting so complicated that i need a password manager because
there are often two passwords - an initial one and a memorable word.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that
authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frédéric Bastiat

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<sn7pc8$bpi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6428&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6428

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
REASONS
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:05:12 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:05 UTC

On 19/11/2021 08:29, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> 166p1 <z24ba6.net> writes:
>> Oh, and if yer box crashes, how do YOU remember the
>> obscure passwords ?
>
> Restore from backups.

+1

--
“when things get difficult you just have to lie”

― Jean Claud Jüncker

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<dbpgpg5smnsgbqo2cvogbf1qvvsrnu0jgh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6429&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6429

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 05:04:53 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 03:04 UTC

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 22:39:03 -0500, 166p1 <z24ba6.net> wrote:

> Oh, and if yer box crashes, how do YOU remember the
> obscure passwords ? Got 'em written down somewhere -
> oh wait, nobody "writes" anymore ... they're in
> a word-processing file somewhere, aren't they ?

I have them on the USB flash drives that I use to transfer data
between by desktop and laptop.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<snel01$m71$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6447&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6447

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Good REASONS
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:33:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:33 UTC

On 2021-11-18, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> People don't care. It will be forever. :(
>
> In comp.os.linux.misc 166p1 <z24ba6.net> wrote:
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10209349/Passwords-123456-password-popular.html
>
>> Will we EVER learn? '123456' and 'password' are still among the
>> most popular passwords in the world ??? while many users continue
>> to use their own name, report reveals
>
>> The annual NordPass Most Common Passwords report revealed common
>> trends. It found that people are still using very simple and easy
>> to guess passwords including '123456', 'password' and 'qwerty'
>> which can be cracked in a second. There were local and gender
>> differences including sports teams as passwords.
>
>> . . . .
>
>> SysAdmin ??? Well THIS is what you're up against - and
>> it's NOT going to change.
>
>> Users would rather live with unknown risks than suffer
>> with passwords and other procedures that are impossible
>> to remember or a pain to cope with. They WILL find a
>> way around difficult edicts - or they'll quit and take
>> all their job experience with them.
>
>> But, when it goes bad, the SysAdmins get the blame.
>
>> Look, cybercommerce/cyberbanking SOUNDED great. But
>> people are NOT going to cope with "dffNs%h##fj3d7xuz"
>> passwords plus text-messages on smartphones they may
>> not even own plus biometrics that won't recognize
>> you if you grew a beard or cut your thumb or dropped
>> 20 pounds plus inscruitable captchas. And WHY don't
>> you know the name of your maiden aunts 3rd cousin's
>> favorite pet gerbil ???!!!
>
>> Nobody is going to put up with such shit.

<snip>
Actually, writing checks and mailing them, using cash...that's
pretty much how I run my life.
Small knick-knacks on line, but no major shopping that way.

pH in Aptos

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<TOadnWAPReH_tD78nZ2dnUU7-dOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6491&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6491

REASONS
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 02:01:53 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 07:01 UTC

On 11/18/21 10:11 PM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> On 2021-11-18, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> "They" wont ever learn. My bet is that 123456 is still people's favorite
>>> password in 2030.
>>
>> You think people will still be able to count in 2030?
>
> "There's an app for that."

And there's some truth in that cynicism ...

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<V6iqJ.811033$Ah33.57988@fx04.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6553&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6553

From: ite...@domain.invalid (Iterator Revamps)
REASONS
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 05:42:13 GMT
 by: Iterator Revamps - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 05:42 UTC

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:33:21 +0000, pH wrote:

> Actually, writing checks and mailing them, using cash...that's pretty
> much how I run my life.
> Small knick-knacks on line, but no major shopping that way.

"Checks"? How quaint. I use IOU's!

--
for(int i=0;1<99;i++) {printf("meh");}

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<sodkbl$d04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6554&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6554

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Good REASONS
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 17:32:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 17:32 UTC

On 2021-12-03, Iterator Revamps <iter@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:33:21 +0000, pH wrote:
>
>> Actually, writing checks and mailing them, using cash...that's pretty
>> much how I run my life.
>> Small knick-knacks on line, but no major shopping that way.
>
> "Checks"? How quaint. I use IOU's!

Another excellent choice! Everything else is worth the paper it's written
on.

pH

Re: "Password" and "1234567" Still Favorite Passwords - And For Good REASONS

<nnd$3bfdf569$138e2de1@e58f119808710912>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7057&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7057

From: christop...@conforti.xyz (Christopher Conforti)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 05:32:46 +0100
 by: Christopher Conforti - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 04:32 UTC

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 08:03:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Not to mention te retailer denying the transaction ever took place as
> there is no record of it? no thanks!

Isn't that a good thing? Because then I also have a better chance at
denying the transaction ever took place if LEOs come snooping. Far as
they know, it teleported into my garage.