From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 23:47:33 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 04:47 UTC

Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi protection
turned off.

Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.

<b7bjbhd98fsqul07c2fvn51dm4vnvcj11q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64076&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64076

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 06:13:38 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 13:13 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 23:47:33 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
<Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:

>Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
>I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi protection
>turned off.

No, not as far as I know.

Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.

<dpfjbh1e6nlpo11lq3fg5bbfsr44atiisc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64082&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64082

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 08:31:17 -0600
 by: KenW - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 14:31 UTC

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 06:13:38 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 23:47:33 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
><Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>
>>Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
>>I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi protection
>>turned off.
>

>No, not as far as I know.
+1

KenW

Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.

<XnsAEC3624EDCD17Ohmmmmmmm@85.12.62.219>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64083&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64083

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: Breeder_...@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out (Buckarooski Breeder)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 14:39:50 GMT
 by: Buckarooski Breeder - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 14:39 UTC

Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas> posted this:

> Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
> I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi protection
> turned off.

Anything can happen, depending on the particulars; how much you diddle with
the computer's configuration; how dedicated and technically adept a
malicious player is; etc. Need more specific information about your
history and intent on your particular computer model/make/mod/config...

Generally, no.

Unless you give someone, like tech support, remote control of your
computer. Even then, it should give you several warnings before any
changes are actually made/updated.

I've got a Dell, which I dislike intensely (but it was inexpensive) which
updates the UEFI kind of frequently via the Dell Support GUI - which runs
silently in the background and often conflicts with the Windows 10 update
process, which runs silently in the background... The Dell calls it a
"BIOS Update", but it's actually a UEFI update because it doesn't have a
BIOS... I hate Dell so bad... Anyway, once I approve the update, the
whole process runs in the background - sometimes without rebooting or so
much as a completed notification. When I drill into the configuration,
then I can confirm that changes have been made.

On Windows 10, open an elevated Command Prompt and type in (or copy/paste):

wmic BIOS get name, version, serialnumber

Just like the above line. Then press enter.

Now you can keep up with changes, if any are being made.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;

Old men in loaded geriatric diapers stalk me on the usenets
and call me pejoritive names, terms of endearment and high praise.

What's really weird is that some of these perverts keep a scrapbook
that is all about me.

Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.

<t9cm9q$jt5t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64085&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64085

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 12:36:09 -0400
 by: ...winston - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 16:36 UTC

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
> I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi protection
> turned off.

Depends on how one defines 'user knowledge' and 'firmware'

UEFI Firmware updates have been deployed via Windows Update for SOC and
OEM devices(since Windows 8x, also for Windows 10 desktop and Win10 Mobile)

Iirc Windows Update hands over the actual firmware update to Plug and
Play(which unlike WU, PnP can execute software)

Microcode Updates can also be deployed in two forms though for the most
part with necessary user intervention. One form via an actual UEFI
update(via UEFI provided update setting or manually) or temporary but
present firmware code that runs on each boot.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.

<t9e26n$10jo0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64111&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64111

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 00:05:23 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 05:05 UTC

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
> I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi protection
> turned off.

Thanks Everyone.

Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.

<20220628214651.04e3127a@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64127&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64127

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 21:46:51 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:46 UTC

Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2022, um 23:47:33 Uhr schrieb Paul in Houston TX:

> Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
> I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi
> protection turned off.

It does. For example it created a boot entry in the UEFI so Windows can
be booted. This will be renewed with every feature upgrade and the
entry will be the first one. If you have a multiboot system you might
need to change that after the upgrade.

Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.

<t9g13d$1cue$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64134&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64134

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 18:58:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 22:58 UTC

On 6/28/2022 3:46 PM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2022, um 23:47:33 Uhr schrieb Paul in Houston TX:
>
>> Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
>> I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi
>> protection turned off.
>
> It does. For example it created a boot entry in the UEFI so Windows can
> be booted. This will be renewed with every feature upgrade and the
> entry will be the first one. If you have a multiboot system you might
> need to change that after the upgrade.

Not necessarily.

You can do a Version Upgrade on Windows, like from 21H1 to 21H2,
without disturbing Linux boot. That's a kind of minor miracle.

It is virgin installs that tend to be high-handed and redefine
the root of boot. And this is done, because the developer for that
OS "wants to make sure his shit works". A natural kind of presumption.

But at least for version upgrades, there may not be the damage
there used to be.

I still recommend, whether you're doing a Linux version upgrade
or a Windows version upgrade, that you take "precautions". Because
some of these installation procedures are very complicated, and
there could still be bugs in them. Since the OS partitions aren't
generally too big, I just back them up.

I had Debian once, wipe out three other Linux OSes already
on a disk. And I *swear* I selected the correct option,
which was custom partitioning. And instead, Ubiquity took off
and did a "Debian uses whole disk" and it wiped out the
other Linuxes. Nobody is perfect at this stuff. The Debian,
most of all. I don't think they have a large enough team,
to get all the fit and finish details right. Basically, it
takes money to do that (Canonical or IBM/RedHat). Canonical
does a hell of a lot of good work, even if some of their
ideas (Snap) are anti-consumer (cannot debug them).

Paul

Re: Win 10 vs. BIOS / UEFI.

<t9hmah$1en70$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64140&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64140

From: foxmcclo...@hotmail.com (Fox McCloud45)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 14:07:13 -0000 (UTC)
EdBaE+WF/BRYNiNL04tNxDBAcnp9tAETymEovzj/Puxz7wGsC5xLEdHY7aGb+1X
HeD82y3xBQ+kN52YJFoJlvlr24/KHCapactVtS/Qy0n5ZRvbwdXNVV+WZPtWAmu
M+Z4GzAkcDBnmg28XoPpiwrmHB5ioiPvSQZZascEjibV2hN0/LNV4Py4E4HmODa
gm60nI0O+uag4pKeud1dsxo3rstS1CzVLAm7v5bWirsu+UxQyl78zlqowCbR2cs
LQH+csNC4C5ZtXjLLV85uythR8t+VkSTX1P1erxe0jn+FhJL/+eTHYwAAAABJRU 5ErkJggg==
]A@j>uCzs2:''B4UaHXTCu}eo=E?Lkt?tjauW/ 7u6zfSl|Id4r((W]A4BS5SM8wGYW!dJN
{_nyZIZ#@ |4f_dVC2;B6+TP=[!-(\u@Fa'"rm`ev!s-\| {X_j}@Ie[cNhDDfg_K_qP<~:
 by: Fox McCloud45 - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 14:07 UTC

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 18:58:54 -0400, Paul wrote:

> On 6/28/2022 3:46 PM, Marco Moock wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2022, um 23:47:33 Uhr schrieb Paul in Houston TX:
>>
>>> Does / can Win 10 make changes to bios / uefi without user knowledge?
>>> I do not mean viruses, etc, just basic W10 with bios / uefi protection
>>> turned off.
>>
>> It does. For example it created a boot entry in the UEFI so Windows can
>> be booted. This will be renewed with every feature upgrade and the
>> entry will be the first one. If you have a multiboot system you might
>> need to change that after the upgrade.
>>

> Not necessarily.
>
> You can do a Version Upgrade on Windows, like from 21H1 to 21H2, without
> disturbing Linux boot. That's a kind of minor miracle.
>
> It is virgin installs that tend to be high-handed and redefine the root
> of boot. And this is done, because the developer for that OS "wants to
> make sure his shit works". A natural kind of presumption.
>
> But at least for version upgrades, there may not be the damage there
> used to be.
>
> I still recommend, whether you're doing a Linux version upgrade or a
> Windows version upgrade, that you take "precautions". Because some of
> these installation procedures are very complicated, and there could
> still be bugs in them. Since the OS partitions aren't generally too big,
> I just back them up.
>
> I had Debian once, wipe out three other Linux OSes already on a disk.
> And I *swear* I selected the correct option,
> which was custom partitioning. And instead, Ubiquity took off and did a
> "Debian uses whole disk" and it wiped out the other Linuxes. Nobody is
> perfect at this stuff. The Debian,
> most of all. I don't think they have a large enough team,
> to get all the fit and finish details right. Basically, it takes money
> to do that (Canonical or IBM/RedHat). Canonical does a hell of a lot of
> good work, even if some of their ideas (Snap) are anti-consumer (cannot
> debug them).
>
> Paul

Heh, I used GParted once to physically relocate a partition on-disk and
left the computer to work, and it turned out that instead of turning off
the display the computer turned off completely for some reason, destroying
the whole filesystem.