Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot. -- Oliver Elphick

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

SubjectAuthor
* Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheedpinnerite
`* Re: Mint 21.2 beta SylpheedMike Easter
 +* Re: Mint 21.2 beta SylpheedMike Easter
 |+* Re: Mint 21.2 beta SylpheedJohnny
 ||`* Re: Mint 21.2 beta SylpheedMike Easter
 || `- Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheedmechanic
 |`- Re: Mint 21.2 beta SylpheedMike Easter
 `- Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheedeternal.septemer

1
Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

<20230712174137.5ed863771d29aa56c433b5ba@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6409&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6409

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:41:37 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 16:41 UTC

I cannot get Sylpheed to save any sent messages (like this one) or
anything.

I am assuming they are saved under .sylpheed-2 even though I am using
version 3.7

I cannot locate the folders, so cannot check permissions.

--
Linux Mint 21.2 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8

Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

<kh8c9aF3nt8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6410&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6410

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 12:12:40 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:12 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> I cannot get Sylpheed to save any sent messages (like this one) or
> anything.
>
> I am assuming they are saved under .sylpheed-2 even though I am using
> version 3.7
>
> I cannot locate the folders, so cannot check permissions.

I booted a live LM 21.1 and installed Sylpheed 3.7 from Synaptic. I
tried to bypass setting up a pop/imap account in favor of just nntp, but
I couldn't figure out how to do it. Usually I can w/ other clients.

You are correct that there is a /sylpheed-2 dir. Also, in the
configuration you can configure (default is outbox) the location of Sent
and the 'name' of the outbox in the sypheedrc is Sent. I couldn't
locate any such dir, but in the graphical display of the mailbox there
was a Sent sub-dir.

In other clients such as Claws, if I don't setup a mail server account,
the client creates a 'dummy' mbox and allows me to setup an nntp server
account w/o a mail server.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

<kh8gq3F4dklU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6411&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6411

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:29:54 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:29 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> pinnerite wrote:
> > I cannot get Sylpheed to save any sent messages (like this one) or
> > anything.
> >
> > I am assuming they are saved under .sylpheed-2 even though I am using
> > version 3.7
> >
> > I cannot locate the folders, so cannot check permissions.
> >

> I booted a live LM 21.1 and installed Sylpheed 3.7 from Synaptic. I
> tried to bypass setting up a pop/imap account in favor of just nntp, but
> I couldn't figure out how to do it. Usually I can w/ other clients.

I figured out how to do it; posting this via Sylpheed.

I also 'had to' tell Sylpheed to put my sent messages into Sent. This is my first test msg.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

<20230712154319.755efa45@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6412&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6412

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:43:19 -0500
 by: Johnny - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:43 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:29:54 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Mike Easter wrote:
> > pinnerite wrote:
> > > I cannot get Sylpheed to save any sent messages (like this one) or
> > > anything.
> > >
> > > I am assuming they are saved under .sylpheed-2 even though I am
> > > using version 3.7
> > >
> > > I cannot locate the folders, so cannot check permissions.
> > >

> > I booted a live LM 21.1 and installed Sylpheed 3.7 from Synaptic.
> > I tried to bypass setting up a pop/imap account in favor of just
> > nntp, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Usually I can w/
> > other clients.
> I figured out how to do it; posting this via Sylpheed.
>
> I also 'had to' tell Sylpheed to put my sent messages into Sent.
> This is my first test msg.

That's strange to have to tell it to put sent messages in the sent
folder.

Claws Mail is a fork of Sylpheed, and does it automatically. It looks
like when Claws forked, development of Sylpheed stopped.

Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

<kh8hj7F4iadU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6413&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6413

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:43:18 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:43 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> I figured out how to do it; posting this via Sylpheed.

The way to configure S to have an nntp account not requiring a mail
account; similar to Tb cancel out of the mail account creation.
However, the Configuration menu/ Create new account will NOT provide
access to an nntp account.

BUT... you can get to a 'better place' in Config menu/ Edit accounts/
Add/ Protocol section DOES have nntp option.

ALSO... in the Config menu/ Common preferences/ Send tab - in the
default 'Save sent msgs to outbox' is NOT checked - which I did and my
previous sent msg was saved there.

AND... the /actual/ dir for the sent mail is NOT in the .sylpheed-2 dir,
but in the Mail dir in the home dir in a sub-dir in Mail/ Sent.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

<kh8i2iF4kfpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6414&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6414

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:51:29 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:51 UTC

Johnny wrote:
> That's strange to have to tell it to put sent messages in the sent
> folder.

I tho't so too.

> Claws Mail is a fork of Sylpheed, and does it automatically. It looks
> like when Claws forked, development of Sylpheed stopped.

I don't recall working w/ Sylpheed before this; but I do recall
preferring Claws over S, so maybe my S experience is very old.

On rare occasions I want to 'do something' involving encryption and I
haven't been happy w/ Tb's decision to dev their own 'enigmail' and
enigmail's decision to not support Tb anymore. I see that sylpheed
seems to be configurable for pgp/gpg.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

<20230714125243.0fa6d7d2383afd42fe4ef670@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6418&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6418

From: pinner...@gmail.com (eternal.septemer)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:52:43 +0100
 by: eternal.septemer - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:52 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 12:12:40 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > I cannot get Sylpheed to save any sent messages (like this one) or
> > anything.
> >
> > I am assuming they are saved under .sylpheed-2 even though I am using
> > version 3.7
> >
> > I cannot locate the folders, so cannot check permissions.
> >

> I booted a live LM 21.1 and installed Sylpheed 3.7 from Synaptic. I
> tried to bypass setting up a pop/imap account in favor of just nntp, but
> I couldn't figure out how to do it. Usually I can w/ other clients.
>
> You are correct that there is a /sylpheed-2 dir. Also, in the
> configuration you can configure (default is outbox) the location of Sent
> and the 'name' of the outbox in the sypheedrc is Sent. I couldn't
> locate any such dir, but in the graphical display of the mailbox there
> was a Sent sub-dir.
>
> In other clients such as Claws, if I don't setup a mail server account,
> the client creates a 'dummy' mbox and allows me to setup an nntp server
> account w/o a mail server.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

I gave up yesterday, transplanted everything sylpheed, uninstalled and reinstalled.
I could creater new newsgroups and went to bed sobbing (no I didn't).

This morning after I booted up, I was able to open up the regular newsgroups and ran a test. No trouble at all.

One down, still several to resolve.

Thanks everyone, Alan

Re: Mint 21.2 beta Sylpheed

<1dlqyucpoxi6n$.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6422&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6422

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 19:37:45 +0100
 by: mechanic - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:37 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:51:29 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Johnny wrote:
>> That's strange to have to tell it to put sent messages in the sent
>> folder.
>>
> I tho't so too.

Why? You may be changing clients to something that has a different
name from a previous client. On Alpine we can set such a folder to
Sent, sentmail,..or whatever we want. Sensible.