But what can you do with it? -- ubiquitous cry from Linux-user partner

computers / comp.mail.pine / Re: how to set single default role?

SubjectAuthor
* how to set single default role?nicholas
+* Re: how to set single default role?nospam
|`* Re: how to set single default role?nicholas
| `- Re: how to set single default role?D
`- Re: how to set single default role?Adam H. Kerman

1
how to set single default role?

<ulmc06$2rlt3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=614&group=comp.mail.pine#614

From: saunders...@gmail.com (nicholas)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: how to set single default role?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 08:37:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: nicholas - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 08:37 UTC

When composing a new message I get a prompt to select a role, which is
fine. However, I'll almost always use the same role -- but I cannot seem
to set such a default.

How is the prompt disabled so that the default role is selected?

thanks,

Nick

Re: how to set single default role?

<2644d79f-0889-35db-8887-0a7c6401d038@nospam.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=616&group=comp.mail.pine#616

From: nos...@nospam.org
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: how to set single default role?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 11:12:32 +0100
 by: nos...@nospam.org - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 10:12 UTC

On Sun, 17 Dec 2023, nicholas wrote:

> When composing a new message I get a prompt to select a role, which is
> fine. However, I'll almost always use the same role -- but I cannot seem
> to set such a default.
>
> How is the prompt disabled so that the default role is selected?
>

> thanks,
>
> Nick

Hello Nick,

I'm no expert, and I have 4 roles myself, but perhaps you could setup a
rule for roles like this: From the main menu enter S R R and then you'll
see

Current Folder Type =
Set Choose One
--- --------------------
( ) Any
( ) News
( ) Email
(*) Specific (Enter Incoming Nicknames or use ^T)

And select Email, or manually select under "Specific" all the folders to
which you would like your default role to apply? Further down you then
have plenty of settings like smtp, signatures etc.

Just a thought and I hope that maybe it will help.

Best regards,
Daniel

Re: how to set single default role?

<uln9mv$317ns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=627&group=comp.mail.pine#627

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 17:04:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 17:04 UTC

nicholas <saunders.nicholas@gmail.com> wrote:

>When composing a new message I get a prompt to select a role, which is
>fine. However, I'll almost always use the same role -- but I cannot seem
>to set such a default.

I never noticed this subcommand. Your .pinerc settings are similar to mine.
When I invoke the composing menu for a new message, I am offered R setRole
command, although more often than not, I use # and not C to choose a role.

Under R, the next command to use is D changeDefault. After invoking
that, the next role I choose will become the default role.

Sounds like what you want.

>How is the prompt disabled so that the default role is selected?

Re: how to set single default role?

<ulva9r$la11$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=642&group=comp.mail.pine#642

From: saunders...@gmail.com (nicholas)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:03:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: nicholas - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:03 UTC

On Sun, 17 Dec 2023 11:12:32 +0100, nospam wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Dec 2023, nicholas wrote:
>
>> When composing a new message I get a prompt to select a role, which is
>> fine. However, I'll almost always use the same role -- but I cannot
>> seem to set such a default.
>>
>> How is the prompt disabled so that the default role is selected?
>>

>> thanks,
>>
>> Nick
>>

> Hello Nick,
>
> I'm no expert, and I have 4 roles myself, but perhaps you could setup a
> rule for roles like this: From the main menu enter S R R and then you'll
> see
>
> Current Folder Type =
> Set Choose One --- --------------------
> ( ) Any ( ) News ( ) Email (*) Specific (Enter Incoming
> Nicknames or use ^T)
>
> And select Email, or manually select under "Specific" all the folders to
> which you would like your default role to apply? Further down you then
> have plenty of settings like smtp, signatures etc.
>
> Just a thought and I hope that maybe it will help.
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel

Yes, what I wanted to change was:

USES BEGIN HERE

Reply Use =
Set Choose One
--- --------------------
( ) Never
( ) With confirmation
(*) Without confirmation

Forward Use =
Set Choose One
--- --------------------
( ) Never
( ) With confirmation
(*) Without confirmation

Compose Use =
Set Choose One
--- --------------------
( ) Never
( ) With confirmation
(*) Without confirmation

so that it just automatically uses this role in Gmail.

thanks,

Nick

Re: how to set single default role?

<b4ae1c2c-2662-81c1-0ea8-5d40fdd84c76@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=644&group=comp.mail.pine#644

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:26:42 +0100
 by: D - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:26 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023, nicholas wrote:

> so that it just automatically uses this role in Gmail.
>

> thanks,

Glad it worked out! =)

Best regards,
Daniel