computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: No internet access for 1 application only

SubjectAuthor
* No internet access for 1 application onlyAntoine8
+- Re: No internet access for 1 application onlymicky
+* Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyPaul
|`* Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyAndy Burns
| `* Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyChris
|  `* Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyVanguardLH
|   +- Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyAndy Burns
|   `- Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyChris
`* Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyVanguardLH
 `* Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyAntoine8
  +- Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyPaul
  `- Re: No internet access for 1 application onlyVanguardLH

1
No internet access for 1 application only

<62becfed$0$9136$426a34cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64214&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64214

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: antoi...@nospam.invalid (Antoine8)
Subject: No internet access for 1 application only
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 12:40:11 +0200
 by: Antoine8 - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 10:40 UTC

Hello

What can be the reason for an executable be unable to access internet ?

The computer has internet access.

All the installed applications can access internet, except one.

The log file of the problematic application states :

bad response code: 403
no internet connection and no cached listing

I have already checked some points :

- The windows firewall does not block this aplication.
The problem is the same when the firewall is desactived.

- The hosts file does not block this application.
Even with an empty hosts file, the problem is the same.

- The security application (antivirus) is not related with this problem.

- This application works ok with another computer with the same internet
provider.

Does someone have tips for what to check to solve this issue ?

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<vk8ubhlco13spuscfgitq11rdnbi1uicjo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64220&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64220

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: No internet access for 1 application only
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:42:02 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:42 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 1 Jul 2022 12:40:11 +0200, Antoine8
<antoine8@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Hello
>
>What can be the reason for an executable be unable to access internet ?
>
>The computer has internet access.
>
>All the installed applications can access internet, except one.

Why are so many posts like this? Omitting one of the most significant,
most obvious factors, the name of the application that doesn't work.

Are you embarrassed or ashamed? Or afraid of the police?

Is it Rape-game? or Incest-manual? or Lynching-simulation? or
Map of vantage points to attack the Capitol?

Maybe the same reason you don't tell us what the name is is the reason
it doen't work.

>The log file of the problematic application states :
>
> bad response code: 403
> no internet connection and no cached listing
>

>I have already checked some points :
>
>- The windows firewall does not block this aplication.
>The problem is the same when the firewall is desactived.
>
>- The hosts file does not block this application.
>Even with an empty hosts file, the problem is the same.
>
>- The security application (antivirus) is not related with this problem.
>
>- This application works ok with another computer with the same internet
>provider.
>

>Does someone have tips for what to check to solve this issue ?

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<t9n8q6$m18$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64221&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64221

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 12:53:26 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:53 UTC

On 7/1/2022 6:40 AM, Antoine8 wrote:

> Hello
>
> What can be the reason for an executable be unable to access internet ?
>
> The computer has internet access.
>
> All the installed applications can access internet, except one.
>

> The log file of the problematic application states :
>
>   bad response code: 403
>   no internet connection and no cached listing

That is likely "403 FORBIDDEN", which means the server
is not allowed to give you access to that web page
at the moment.

https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204644980/why-am-i-seeing-a-403-forbidden-error-message

The trouble is at, or on, the server. The trouble
is not on your end, necessarily. We do not have
evidence (yet), to blame Windows 10.

Paul

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<ji8nrbFso87U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64222&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64222

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 18:05:46 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 17:05 UTC

Paul wrote:

> That is likely "403 FORBIDDEN", which means the server
> is not allowed to give you access to that web page
> at the moment.

Since GDPR was introduced, it's not unknown for USA based websites to block
European users with a 403 because they know they don't comply

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<1n67cw0a3ina7$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64226&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64226

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 12:33:54 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 17:33 UTC

Antoine8 wrote:

> Hello
>
> What can be the reason for an executable be unable to access internet ?
>
> The computer has internet access.
>
> All the installed applications can access internet, except one.
>
> The log file of the problematic application states :
>
> bad response code: 403
> no internet connection and no cached listing
>
> I have already checked some points :
>
> - The windows firewall does not block this aplication.
> The problem is the same when the firewall is desactived.
>
> - The hosts file does not block this application.
> Even with an empty hosts file, the problem is the same.
>
> - The security application (antivirus) is not related with this problem.
>
> - This application works ok with another computer with the same internet
> provider.
>
> Does someone have tips for what to check to solve this issue ?

The same app is on two hosts (on the same network or different
networks?) using the same ISP.

How did you test the AV software is not the cause of the problem?

Are the 2 instances of the same app trying to connect to the same
destination? ""403" doesn't say to where the problematic instance of
the app is trying to connect. You don't mention if the unidentified app
lets you specify where to connect, or if it is the app deciding where to
connect.

The app is unidentified. Vague details mean unfocused responses. Is
this a licensed app? If so, maybe you've exceeded the number of
licenses you purchased for the app.

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<t9ucr5$3biig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64299&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64299

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 10:45:09 +0100
 by: Chris - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:45 UTC

On 01/07/2022 18:05, Andy Burns wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>> That is likely "403 FORBIDDEN", which means the server
>> is not allowed to give you access to that web page
>> at the moment.
>
> Since GDPR was introduced, it's not unknown for USA based websites to
> block European users with a 403 because they know they don't comply

Yup. Had that quite a lot. Easy to circumvent with a VPN, of course.

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<62c2c692$0$9146$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64300&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64300

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: antoi...@nospam.invalid (Antoine8)
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:49:14 +0200
 by: Antoine8 - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 10:49 UTC

VanguardLH a écrit :
> Antoine8 wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> What can be the reason for an executable be unable to access internet ?
>>
>> The computer has internet access.
>>
>> All the installed applications can access internet, except one.
>>
>> The log file of the problematic application states :
>>
>> bad response code: 403
>> no internet connection and no cached listing
>>
>> I have already checked some points :
>>
>> - The windows firewall does not block this aplication.
>> The problem is the same when the firewall is desactived.
>>
>> - The hosts file does not block this application.
>> Even with an empty hosts file, the problem is the same.
>>
>> - The security application (antivirus) is not related with this problem.
>>
>> - This application works ok with another computer with the same internet
>> provider.
>>
>> Does someone have tips for what to check to solve this issue ?
>
> The same app is on two hosts (on the same network or different
> networks?) using the same ISP.
>
> How did you test the AV software is not the cause of the problem?
>
> Are the 2 instances of the same app trying to connect to the same
> destination? ""403" doesn't say to where the problematic instance of
> the app is trying to connect. You don't mention if the unidentified app
> lets you specify where to connect, or if it is the app deciding where to
> connect.
>
> The app is unidentified. Vague details mean unfocused responses. Is
> this a licensed app? If so, maybe you've exceeded the number of
> licenses you purchased for the app.

Tnx for your answer.

The app is from a cloud storage service. It permit to sync a folder
between the cloud storage and multiple devices.

There is no particular restriction for this software. The only request
to use it is to create a storage account from this provider (free or paid).

I have installed this app on 2 computers.

These computers are connected to the same local network with the same
ISP. The antivirus solution is the same for these 2 computers.

The 1st computer works ok.

The 2nd computer get access to the account : I can sign in, have
information about the account (used and available space).
But i get the 403 error when trying to sync the files. The application
does not display the remote files or folders but messages like "Remote
folder is not accessible" or "Lost network access to your cloud."

Using another ISP does not solve this problem. Nor disabling the
firewall and the antivirus.
When i sign in another account from the same cloud storage provider, the
result is the same.

So i am trying to understand the reason why this occurs.

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<t9unnv$3cm1o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64301&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64301

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 08:51:09 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:51 UTC

On 7/4/2022 6:49 AM, Antoine8 wrote:
> VanguardLH a écrit :
>> Antoine8 wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> What can be the reason for an executable be unable to access internet ?
>>>
>>> The computer has internet access.
>>>
>>> All the installed applications can access internet, except one.
>>>
>>> The log file of the problematic application states :
>>>
>>>     bad response code: 403
>>>     no internet connection and no cached listing
>>>
>>> I have already checked some points :
>>>
>>> - The windows firewall does not block this aplication.
>>> The problem is the same when the firewall is desactived.
>>>
>>> - The hosts file does not block this application.
>>> Even with an empty hosts file, the problem is the same.
>>>
>>> - The security application (antivirus) is not related with this problem.
>>>
>>> - This application works ok with another computer with the same internet
>>> provider.
>>>
>>> Does someone have tips for what to check to solve this issue ?
>>
>> The same app is on two hosts (on the same network or different
>> networks?) using the same ISP.
>>
>> How did you test the AV software is not the cause of the problem?
>>
>> Are the 2 instances of the same app trying to connect to the same
>> destination?  ""403" doesn't say to where the problematic instance of
>> the app is trying to connect.  You don't mention if the unidentified app
>> lets you specify where to connect, or if it is the app deciding where to
>> connect.
>>
>> The app is unidentified.  Vague details mean unfocused responses.  Is
>> this a licensed app?  If so, maybe you've exceeded the number of
>> licenses you purchased for the app.
>>

> Tnx for your answer.
>
> The app is from a cloud storage service. It permit to sync a folder between the cloud storage and multiple devices.
>
> There is no particular restriction for this software. The only request to use it is to create a storage account from this provider (free or paid).
>
> I have installed this app on 2 computers.
>
> These computers are connected to the same local network with the same ISP. The antivirus solution is the same for these 2 computers.
>
> The 1st computer works ok.
>
> The 2nd computer get access to the account : I can sign in, have information about the account (used and available space).
> But i get the 403 error when trying to sync the files. The application does not display the remote files or folders but messages like "Remote folder is not accessible" or "Lost network access to your cloud."
>
> Using another ISP does not solve this problem. Nor disabling the firewall and the antivirus.
> When i sign in another account from the same cloud storage provider, the result is the same.
>
> So i am trying to understand the reason why this occurs.

Using Google, Google "<name of provider or service>"
and "port forwarding", to see if the service requires
additional ports of some sort for the data transport process.

Some services have a control plane and a data plane, and TCPIP
ports for each.

You basically need to learn more about how the application
works, to ensure the installer has done all the right things.

You could also test on two Linux boxes, and see if the Linux
version works better or if the Linux version even works. Then
compare symptoms, time delays, status messages and so on, for
hints.

As long as the service remains hidden, all we can make is
generic suggestions (which is fine).

If the service is *actually* a "reseller" and not a business
with its own racks of equipment and disk drives, things like
this happen when the reseller no longer has a business
relationship with the real cloud provider. But since you seem
to be able to upload stuff, that's not likely the case here.

Paul

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<susuxgdhz6hc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64320&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64320

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:56:41 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 18:56 UTC

Antoine8 <antoine8@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> The app is from a cloud storage service. It permit to sync a folder
> between the cloud storage and multiple devices.
>
> There is no particular restriction for this software. The only
> request to use it is to create a storage account from this provider
> (free or paid).

Which cloud sync provider? No reason to keep that a secret.

> I have installed this app on 2 computers.

What app?

> These computers are connected to the same local network with the same
> ISP. The antivirus solution is the same for these 2 computers.
>
> The 1st computer works ok.
>
> The 2nd computer get access to the account : I can sign in, have
> information about the account (used and available space). But i get
> the 403 error when trying to sync the files. The application does not
> display the remote files or folders but messages like "Remote folder
> is not accessible" or "Lost network access to your cloud."

Can you log into your account using their web site from the 2nd host?

> Using another ISP does not solve this problem. Nor disabling the
> firewall and the antivirus. When i sign in another account from the
> same cloud storage provider, the result is the same.

Without knowing who is the sync provider, no way for someone else to
check if they allow more than 1 client to sync to whatever type of
account you have with them.

> So i am trying to understand the reason why this occurs.

Are the 2 hosts synchronizing at the same time? If they are scheduled,
try using different times for each sync job. If the sync client isn't
scheduled when to run, but performs in the background taking however
long as needed to do a sync, maybe you can reduce the priority of each.

Don't know what cloud sync service you are using. You sure it allows
synchronizing across multiple clients? One client syncs to the server,
uploads some files, and the other client also syncs to the same server,
and downloads some files. Some sync services are just for 1 client, not
to sync multiple clients across the server. They are not designed to
have multiple client's synchronizing to the same server either at the
same time, or not at all (you get to sync just 1 client). They may
allow multiple concurrent client syncs at different [paid] service
tiers. Free cloud sync services tend to have several restrictions to
lure you to buy into their higher service tiers. Hard to be specific
with an unknown cloud sync service.

Also, are you running more than one sync client on the problematic host?
At one time, I had both MS OneDrive and Google Drive installed on my
home PC. There was a conflict. MS OneDrive could lock a file that
Google Drive was trying to sync. The result was Google Drive would fail
on the in-use file. Although the expectation is both should support VSC
(Volume Shadow Copy) to use separate shadow copies of a file to sync up
to the server, apparently one of them does not, or a shadow by one
locked the other out of making its own shadow. That was a while ago. I
stuck with OneDrive. I've installed the new Google Drive client (it was
Google Drive, then Google Backup & Restore, and back to Google Drive).
So far, no conflict between them; however, I'm using them to sync
different files to avoid conflict. What OneDrive syncs does not overlap
what Google Drive syncs. I don't need multiple copies of the same files
on the cloud server.

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<pzxll100p4aj$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64321&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64321

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:08:04 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:08 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/07/2022 18:05, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> That is likely "403 FORBIDDEN", which means the server
>>> is not allowed to give you access to that web page
>>> at the moment.
>>
>> Since GDPR was introduced, it's not unknown for USA based websites to
>> block European users with a 403 because they know they don't comply
>
> Yup. Had that quite a lot. Easy to circumvent with a VPN, of course.

Regional fencing is not just for some GPDR compliance, or circumventing
it. USA sites aren't trembling at the heels of the EU due to
non-compliance. Most reputable sites have a privacy policy. Have fun
reading through the legalese, though. GPDR just says a site must have a
published policy, not that it is easy to find, nor magically enforce a
site to comply with the policies they claim to have.

A VPN /might/ circumvent regional fencing, but may not. IP addresses of
exit nodes for VPNs have been mapped. That means sites can use
blacklists to block VPN-based visitors. You hiding behind a VPN (to
block your IP address) doesn't block any host from knowing the IP
address of whatever other host connects to it. The receiving host must
know the source host for TCP to work. You can hide behind a VPN. The
VPN exit node cannot hide. So, besides regional fencing, a site could
block you based on the VPN exit node's IP address either because
geolocation shows it is outside the fence (and why you need a VPN with
*lots* of exit nodes in numerous countries), or because they blacklist
any VPN connects to their site.

VPN exit nodes are known. Same for Tor nodes which have been mapped.
If the exit node is within a site's regional fence, you might connect,
but only if the VPN/Tor nodes are not in a blacklist they employ.

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<jigsaqF3ji6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64322&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64322

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 20:11:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:11 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Regional fencing is not just for some GPDR compliance, or circumventing
> it. USA sites aren't trembling at the heels of the EU due to
> non-compliance.

I'm not saying that's the only reason, but on day one of GDPR several "big" USA
based newspaper sites were saying exactly that they were refusing EU/UK visitors
as they couldn't guarantee being compliant. The ones I have in mond do seem to
have sorted it out now and allow visitors again.

Re: No internet access for 1 application only

<t9vetr$3f4bl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64323&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64323

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 20:26:50 +0100
 by: Chris - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:26 UTC

On 04/07/2022 20:08, VanguardLH wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Since GDPR was introduced, it's not unknown for USA based websites to
>>> block European users with a 403 because they know they don't comply
>>
>> Yup. Had that quite a lot. Easy to circumvent with a VPN, of course.
>
> Regional fencing is not just for some GPDR compliance, or circumventing
> it. USA sites aren't trembling at the heels of the EU due to
> non-compliance.

No-one mentioned trembling. It's more to do with the fact that they
couldn't be bothered to try to comply as their readership is very much
US-based.

> Most reputable sites have a privacy policy. Have fun
> reading through the legalese, though. GPDR just says a site must have a
> published policy, not that it is easy to find, nor magically enforce a
> site to comply with the policies they claim to have.

Nope. The update to GDPR required site visitors to opt-in to data
collection cookies and be provided the option by default. Most smaller
US sites are opt-out only and you need to dig to find the option. The
ones I see it on are local news sites of small towns or regions.
Blocking access from the EU will not affect their readership. Unless, of
course, someone local travelling abroad.