From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Re: Calendar making program for Linux?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:39:55 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:39 UTC

pH <wNOSP...@gmail.org> [p]:
p> make calendar pages to go with them to make a wall calendar
p> ... choose the 12 pics, specify the year and voila?

Remind (https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3529) comes with a
nifty utility called 'rem2ps', that draws a PostScript calendar
from remind's output. It could be a good starting point for
your project.

To get an idea what the output looks like, see
https://ibb.co/GPjpq1t

Then you have to either manually paste in your pics, or (if your
postscript skill are top notch) inject the appropriate postscript
code (see rem2ps's -p option).

Since I don't want to do it manually and lack the skills to do it in
PostScript, I usually convert both the calendar pages and the pics to
PDF and then run a small script file containing a few pdftk commands
to scale and merge pages as needed.

To get a 1-month calendar:
$ remind -p1 /dev/null | rem2ps -l -i -e -m Letter > mycalendar.ps

To get a 12-month calendar:
$ remind -p12 /dev/null | rem2ps -l -i -e -m Letter > mycalendar.ps

If you have a reminders file, replace "/dev/null" with its path and
all your important dates will also be marked on the printed calendar.

Re: Calendar making program for Linux?

<snhe3j$3b3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6452&group=comp.os.linux.misc#6452

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:54:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:54 UTC

On 2021-11-22, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> pH <wNOSP...@gmail.org> [p]:
> p> make calendar pages to go with them to make a wall calendar
> p> ... choose the 12 pics, specify the year and voila?
>
> Remind (https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3529) comes with a
> nifty utility called 'rem2ps', that draws a PostScript calendar
> from remind's output. It could be a good starting point for
> your project.
>
> To get an idea what the output looks like, see
> https://ibb.co/GPjpq1t

I like the looks of that calendar page.
A "re<tab><tab>" shows that I do not currently have "remind" or "rem2ps"
installed.
I don't have "Scribus", either, for that matter.

> Then you have to either manually paste in your pics, or (if your
> postscript skill are top notch) inject the appropriate postscript
> code (see rem2ps's -p option).
>
> Since I don't want to do it manually and lack the skills to do it in
> PostScript, I usually convert both the calendar pages and the pics to
> PDF and then run a small script file containing a few pdftk commands
> to scale and merge pages as needed.
>

> To get a 1-month calendar:
> $ remind -p1 /dev/null | rem2ps -l -i -e -m Letter > mycalendar.ps
>
> To get a 12-month calendar:
> $ remind -p12 /dev/null | rem2ps -l -i -e -m Letter > mycalendar.ps
>

> If you have a reminders file, replace "/dev/null" with its path and
> all your important dates will also be marked on the printed calendar.

Wow, this looks very cool.
My Linux skills are pretty poor and it's been a long time since my 'C'
programming class...I'm one of those users who thinks he knows what he's
doing to the point where I am a danger to myself sometimes.

pH