"Ninety percent of baseball is half mental." -- Yogi Berra

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk Job

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: Aperture Desk JobSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk JobAnt
+* Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk JobJAB
|`- Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk JobWerner P.
`- Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk JobSpalls Hurgenson

1
Free Game: Aperture Desk Job

<scet1hh02a30378mm5gcddeamhncbrs60b@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6442&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6442

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Aperture Desk Job
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 19:31:39 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 00:31 UTC

Who says Valve doesn't make (or give away) games?

Now free on Steam:
Aperture Desk Job
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902490/Aperture_Desk_Job/

It's a short but fun-looking puzzle game set in the 'Portal' universe.
The gameplay doesn't look exceptional but it seems to capture the
humor and character of the better known games. Oddly enough, it has no
keyboard/mouse support, and requires a gamepad; my guess is that it's
mainly designed to promote the recently released Steam Deck, which
lacks those features.

Ah well, it's free. Grab it now before it's not.

Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk Job

<AvudnTtWrIlzXYP_nZ2dnUU7-cWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6443&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6443

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk Job
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 18:57:18 -0600
 by: Ant - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 00:57 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Who says Valve doesn't make (or give away) games?

> Now free on Steam:
> Aperture Desk Job
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902490/Aperture_Desk_Job/

> It's a short but fun-looking puzzle game set in the 'Portal' universe.
> The gameplay doesn't look exceptional but it seems to capture the
> humor and character of the better known games. Oddly enough, it has no
> keyboard/mouse support, and requires a gamepad; my guess is that it's
> mainly designed to promote the recently released Steam Deck, which
> lacks those features.

> Ah well, it's free. Grab it now before it's not.

For PCs, controllers are required which I don't have since I am a
keyboarder and mouser. I don't like controllers because of my
disabilities (can't hold them well).
--
Dang tech issues again like the 12 yrs. old PC losing its 115 SSD SSD, iPhone, emails, changes, etc. BUSY & warmer weather again for the new week and before the short month ended! Incoming cold rain and slammy hump day again soon!
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk Job

<svng4s$5qt$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6450&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6450

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 10:15:56 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 10:15 UTC

On 02/03/2022 00:31, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Who says Valve doesn't make (or give away) games?
>
> Now free on Steam:
> Aperture Desk Job
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902490/Aperture_Desk_Job/
>
> It's a short but fun-looking puzzle game set in the 'Portal' universe.
> The gameplay doesn't look exceptional but it seems to capture the
> humor and character of the better known games. Oddly enough, it has no
> keyboard/mouse support, and requires a gamepad; my guess is that it's
> mainly designed to promote the recently released Steam Deck, which
> lacks those features.
>
> Ah well, it's free. Grab it now before it's not.

I'll give it a pass as it's controller only but being fair the storepage
does say it's for the Steam Deck.

Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk Job

<svo2oh$ulq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6453&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6453

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:33:37 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 15:33 UTC

Am 02.03.22 um 11:15 schrieb JAB:

> I'll give it a pass as it's controller only but being fair the storepage
> does say it's for the Steam Deck.

Yes very likely played best with a Steam Controller, but not sure.

Re: Free Game: Aperture Desk Job

<t69v1htd8fnipebvv871hasknsha3s587g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6455&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6455

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 12:25:57 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:25 UTC

On Tue, 01 Mar 2022 19:31:39 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Who says Valve doesn't make (or give away) games?
>
>Now free on Steam:
>Aperture Desk Job
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902490/Aperture_Desk_Job/

Having played it, I have to say I'm rather disappointed. My initial
assumptions were correct: this game is designed to promote the
SteamDeck; it is, in essence, a 30-minute tutorial about the Steam
Decks controls that only purports to be a game.

But even taking that into account, it's really not very fun. It's
extremely linear and the humor is off; it's not a funny game. At most
it got a few smiles out of me during the transitions between chapters
- when it showed off the rise-n-fall of a mantis civilization - but
otherwise is was tame at best and unamusing at worst. The voice-acting
was flat and dialogue was trite. Given Valve's previous efforts, this
was really a very sub-par effort; I've seen much better work made by
amateurs using the Source Filmmaker tool.

Playing through the whole thing takes, as mentioned, about 30 minutes.
It is extremely linear and its gameplay consists almost entirely of
pushing specific buttons when prompted; it's sort of an extended (and
very slow) quick-time event. It requires a gamepad (or a SteamDeck),
although there is one instance when you need to wiggle your mouse, and
another where you need to type something in on the keyboard
(presumably to show off the touchpad and keypad features on the
'deck).

Given that this game was designed to showcase some of the Steam Deck's
features, it actually made me less interested in the device, just
because I found the controls so inaccurate compared to the usual
mouse-keyboard combo. At first I thought it might be my setup, but I
tried a different controller (initially I was using a cheap knock-off
PS3 gamepad) but still found the controls cumbersome. In fairness, I
dislike gamepads generally and have issue with them regardless of game
or platform; I know my bias. Still, if this is the direction Valve
wants PC gaming to go, then I am not onboard with it.

I get that "Aperture Desk Job" is just a little tech-demo/tutorial,
and free to boot. Arguably I should be less critical of it given these
limitations. Still, it was such a disappointing release given Valve's
previous releases. I expected more from them. "Desk Job" was barely
worth the time it took to download, much less play.