From: gri...@somewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: youtube downloads last known good version
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 06:23:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: grinch - Fri, 15 Jul 2022 06:23 UTC

How does yt-dlp.exe compare to the youtube-dl.exe and what is the last
known good version before the DMCA takedown changes?

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/tag/2022.06.29
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/download/2022.06.29/yt-dlp.exe

VERSUS

https://youtube-dl.org/
https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/
https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/
https://yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl.exe

DMCA takedown
https://github.blog/2020-11-16-standing-up-for-developers-youtube-dl-is-back/

Does that mean only the OLDER youtube-dl.exe files are the last known good
versions? Which one is the last known good version?

Re: youtube downloads last known good version

<tar5rd$30eok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64617&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64617

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: youtube downloads last known good version
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 03:43:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 15 Jul 2022 07:43 UTC

On 7/15/2022 2:23 AM, grinch wrote:
> How does yt-dlp.exe compare to the youtube-dl.exe and what is the last
> known good version before the DMCA takedown changes?
>
> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp
> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases
> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/tag/2022.06.29
> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/download/2022.06.29/yt-dlp.exe
>
> VERSUS
>
> https://youtube-dl.org/
> https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/
> https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/
> https://yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl.exe
>
> DMCA takedown https://github.blog/2020-11-16-standing-up-for-developers-youtube-dl-is-back/
>
> Does that mean only the OLDER youtube-dl.exe files are the last known good
> versions? Which one is the last known good version?

If this was some sort of puzzle, my answer would be
to use yt-dlp, which has support, and not youtube-dl,
which does not have support. Profiles for the web sites
age relatively rapidly, and if one of these softwares
go out of support, they "loose all their fizz" pretty quick.
Like a flat bottle of pop. That's why bringing in updates
is important (at some point, you pretty well have to).

Paul

Re: youtube downloads last known good version

<tas7kv$1c10$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64627&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64627

From: gri...@somewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 17:20:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: grinch - Fri, 15 Jul 2022 17:20 UTC

On 15/07/2022 9:43, Paul wrote:

> my answer would be to use yt-dlp, which has support,

Thank you for that good answer, which if it's correct (and I have no way of
knowing if it is or if it isn't correct) is as good as any out there.

Let me do a doublecheck on the last support date for each program.

Running youtube-dl.exe --help shows there is a "--v" version flag.
C:\Downloads\youtube-dl>youtube-dl.exe --version
2021.12.17

Just in case that's the last known good version, I made a copy
and then ran the update flag I saw in the copious help output.
C:\Downloads\youtube-dl>youtube-dl.exe --update
ERROR: can't find the current version. Please try again later.

Well. That's a problem isn't it.
The web page says that's the last version out there.
https://youtube-dl.org/

Checking the web pages to see what they say about support, I see they used
to release more frequently so maybe it is now defunct.
https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/releases

Moving on to yt-dlp.exe, the readme says it's a fork of "now inactive
youtube-dlc" (whatever that was) and it appears to be active.
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#readme

Digging a bit deeper it say yt-dlp "Merged with youtube-dl v2021.12.17+
commit/a03b977 and youtube-dlc v2020.11.11-3+ commit/f9401f2: You get all
the features and patches of youtube-dlc in addition to the latest
youtube-dl", so it seems to be a combination of TWO youtube downloaders.

Although it may not be the same youtube-dl.exe as there seem to be many
https://github.com/animelover1984/youtube-dl

I'll start using this new yt-dlp instead of youtube-dl.exe (which I hadn't
even noticed wasn't updating anymore as I don't use it often).

But learning my lesson, BEFORE I update, I'll always make a copy.
yt-dlp.exe --version
2022.06.29
copy yt-dlp.exe 20220629-yt-dlp.exe
yt-dlp.exe --update
Latest version: 2022.06.29, Current version: 2022.06.29
yt-dlp is up to date (2022.06.29)

That way, if another DMCA takedown forces them to add code that they don't
want to add, at least I'll have the latest known good version by default.