From: Bor...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Setting Line Spacing with Thunderbird Mail and Newsgroups?
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 20:14:54 -0700
 by: Boris - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 03:14 UTC

How do I set line spacing on Thunderbird Mail/Newsgroups?

I'm on a Windows 10 Home Premium desktop, with Thunderbird 102.0.2.
It's my backup mail and ng.

Whenever I hit Enter, I'm thrown down two lines.  How do I set so that
an Enter gives me a single line of spacing?

I've looked at Thunderbird and Mozilla Help...but no luck.  Lots of
similar questions, but no answers.

TIA

Re: Setting Line Spacing with Thunderbird Mail and Newsgroups?

<3bdkqix56m.ln2@spock.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64747&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64747

From: dillin...@invalid.not (dillinger)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 06:36:19 +0200
 by: dillinger - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 04:36 UTC

On 7/20/22 05:14, Boris wrote:
> How do I set line spacing on Thunderbird Mail/Newsgroups?
>
> I'm on a Windows 10 Home Premium desktop, with Thunderbird 102.0.2. It's
> my backup mail and ng.
>
> Whenever I hit Enter, I'm thrown down two lines.  How do I set so that
> an Enter gives me a single line of spacing?
>
> I've looked at Thunderbird and Mozilla Help...but no luck.  Lots of
> similar questions, but no answers.
>
> TIA

In Settings > Composition uncheck "Use Paragraph format instead of Body
Text by default".

Re: Setting Line Spacing with Thunderbird Mail and Newsgroups?

<jjpmgeFqegvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64748&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64748

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:43:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 06:43 UTC

Boris wrote:

> Whenever I hit Enter, I'm thrown down two lines.  How do I set so that an Enter
> gives me a single line of spacing?

Change from composing in HTML to composing in plain text?

For a quick check if that does what you want, hold down shift while clicking the
new-message icon, if it works you can change it permanently in server
settings/composition.

fRe: Setting Line Spacing with Thunderbird Mail and Newsgroups?

<MPG.3d41b604819eaeaf98ff6b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64749&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64749

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:50:12 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:50 UTC

On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 20:14:54 -0700, Boris wrote:

> How do I set line spacing on Thunderbird Mail/Newsgroups?
>
> I'm on a Windows 10 Home Premium desktop, with Thunderbird 102.0.2.
> It's my backup mail and ng.
>
> Whenever I hit Enter, I'm thrown down two lines.  How do I set so that
> an Enter gives me a single line of spacing?

This has always annoyed me too. I send new messages in plain text,
but when I rely to incoming HTML messages the editing seems to be
done in HTML.

My thanks to all three of you --

Boris for asking the question;

Paragraph format instead of Body Text by default"; and

Andy Burns for suggesting pressing the Shift key to compose in text
instead of HTML. I've just confirmed that Shift+Reply leads to
composing in plain text even if the incoming message was in HTML.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Setting Line Spacing with Thunderbird Mail and Newsgroups?

<pedl09x8v5gh.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64764&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64764

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 14:27:02 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:27 UTC

Boris <Boris@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> How do I set line spacing on Thunderbird Mail/Newsgroups?
>
> I'm on a Windows 10 Home Premium desktop, with Thunderbird 102.0.2.
> It's my backup mail and ng.

There is no Premium edition of the Home edition of Windows 10.

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-pro-vs-windows-10-home-all-the-differences-explained
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

Premium not mentioned for Windows 10. Are you posting in the correct
newsgroup (actually not ... see comment below), or did you mean to post
in the Windows 7 newsgroup. There was a Premium edition of Windows 7.

> Whenever I hit Enter, I'm thrown down two lines.  How do I set so that
> an Enter gives me a single line of spacing?
>
> I've looked at Thunderbird and Mozilla Help...but no luck.  Lots of
> similar questions, but no answers.

I stopped using Thunderbird a few years ago. However, many programs,
especially those that are using HTML or document formatting, like
paragraph formatting, let you hit Shift+Enter to insert a newline
instead of a paragraph marker. Enter adds paragraph spacing (unless
you're in plain text mode, because there's no formatting in plain text)
while Shift+Enter inserts a newline (aka line break) instead of
paragraphing.

For Tbird inquiries, there is a more focused newsgroup over at ---.
..-----------------------------------------------------------------'
'---> alt.comp.software.thunderbird

Re: Setting Line Spacing with Thunderbird Mail and Newsgroups?

<tbcekk$2jldc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64768&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64768

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 16:57:55 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 20:57 UTC

On 7/21/2022 3:27 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Boris <Boris@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> How do I set line spacing on Thunderbird Mail/Newsgroups?
>>
>> I'm on a Windows 10 Home Premium desktop, with Thunderbird 102.0.2.
>> It's my backup mail and ng.
>
> There is no Premium edition of the Home edition of Windows 10.

During a free upgrade, Win7 Home Premium maps to Win10 Home,
which is likely why the OP wrote it up that way.

Paul