From: ammamm...@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: start an existing instance of a program
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 12:41:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 12:41 UTC

most of google requests are to start ANOTHER instance of a running program,
but I need the OPPOSITE: if the program has already been started, the
double click on the icon should restore the iconized instance

now, the icon is just a link to the exe: I suppose I must replace it with a
sort of script or something else, that accepts parameters (like the
executable name)

any idea?

TIA

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: start an existing instance of a program

<tbcdbf$2jcs1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64767&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64767

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: start an existing instance of a program
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 13:35:58 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 20:35 UTC

On 7/21/22 05:41, Ammammata wrote:
> most of google requests are to start ANOTHER instance of a running program,
> but I need the OPPOSITE: if the program has already been started, the
> double click on the icon should restore the iconized instance
>
> now, the icon is just a link to the exe: I suppose I must replace it with a
> sort of script or something else, that accepts parameters (like the
> executable name)
>
> any idea?
>
> TIA

Hi TIA,

That is hard coded into the program itself. Some
will let you open another instance; some will
pull up the current instance.

Which does bring us the question of why you are
not using the task bar at the bottom of the page
to bring up your already running programs?

I pound the living hell out of my task bar. It
is one of the reasons I dislike Apple's UI.

HTH,
-T

Re: start an existing instance of a program

<XnsAEDCA6735D53Dammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64770&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64770

From: ammamm...@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 14:21:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 14:21 UTC

Il giorno Thu 21 Jul 2022 10:35:58p, *T* ha inviato su alt.comp.os.windows-
10 il messaggio news:tbcdbf$2jcs1$1@dont-email.me. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

>> TIA
>>

> Hi TIA,
>
> That is hard coded into the program itself. Some
> will let you open another instance; some will
> pull up the current instance.
>
> Which does bring us the question of why you are
> not using the task bar at the bottom of the page
> to bring up your already running programs?
>
> I pound the living hell out of my task bar. It
> is one of the reasons I dislike Apple's UI.
>
> HTH,
> -T

Hi T

note: TIA was for Thanks In Advance :)

Back to the "issue": it's not me, it's the dumb-user that doesn't check the
taskbar and starts a new instance every time: for sure you know that recent
windows versions iconize programs to a very small icon and if you have many
times the same program in execution all the icons are stacked...

well, if it was notepad wouldn't be a problem, but it is SAP, that's multi
instance by design, and each session eats around 1 Gb of RAM and soon this
is a problem for both the server (when they connect using RDP) or the
client

so, the script (in the meantime I found something, not yet tested) in case
the program is already running, should just de-iconize it, say maximize.

I'll give a try to the script below, yet to adapt with (SAP Business
One.exe) :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Public BookmarkedWindowName As String ' The name of the current bookmarked
window
Sub ActivateBookmarkedWindow()
Dim IsOpen As Boolean ' Whether or not the current bookmarked window is
open
Dim I As Long ' Index for For...Next loop
IsOpen = False ' Assume the bookmarked window is not open.
For I = 1 To Windows.Count ' Look for the current bookmarked window.
If LCase(Windows(I).Caption) = LCase(BookmarkedWindowName) Then
IsOpen = True
Exit For
End If
Next I
' If the current bookmarked window is not open or defined, then run
' the ChangeBookmarkedWindow procedure.
If Len(BookmarkedWindowName) = 0 Or Not IsOpen Then
MsgBox ("The current bookmarked window is not open or has not been
defined.")
ChangeBookmarkedWindowName
' If the bookmarked window is open, activate it.
Else
WindowActivate (BookmarkedWindowName)
End If
End Sub
Sub ChangeBookmarkedWindowName()
Dim Entry As String ' The text entered by the user
Entry = InputBox$("Enter the name of the bookmarked window.")
' If the user chooses Cancel, then exit the Sub procedure.
If Entry = Empty Then Exit Sub
' Otherwise, set the name of the bookmarked window and then activate it.
BookmarkedWindowName = Entry
ActivateBookmarkedWindow
End Sub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

note:

Run cscript.exe for full command args, I think
cscript //X scriptfile.vbs MyArg1 MyArg2
will run the script in a debugger.

You need administrative access to run a debugger.

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
............ [ al lavoro ] ...........

Re: start an existing instance of a program

<tbelkt$38ifh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64772&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64772

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:09:48 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:09 UTC

On 7/22/22 07:21, Ammammata wrote:
> Back to the "issue": it's not me, it's the dumb-user that doesn't check the
> taskbar and starts a new instance every time

I feel your pain!

Is the code you copied SAP code?

I would be tempted to write a program that checks
for the process status, if open, give him a pop
up that tells him to use the task bar. That
way he will be forced to learn how to use it.

Re: start an existing instance of a program

<XnsAEE27D151EC75ammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64844&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64844

From: ammamm...@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:17:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:17 UTC

Il giorno Fri 22 Jul 2022 07:09:48p, *T* ha inviato su alt.comp.os.windows-
10 il messaggio news:tbelkt$38ifh$1@dont-email.me. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> Is the code you copied SAP code?

no, I found it on the web, I didn't store the link but it should still be
in the history...

found!

<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-
us/office/vba/api/project.application.windowactivate(method)>

https://is.gd/ESvesT

> I would be tempted to write a program that checks
> for the process status, if open, give him a pop
> up that tells him to use the task bar. That
> way he will be forced to learn how to use it.

that would be fine :)

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
............ [ al lavoro ] ...........

Re: start an existing instance of a program

<tbutsn$38pdt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64856&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64856

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 14:08:37 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 21:08 UTC

On 7/28/22 03:17, Ammammata wrote:
> Il giorno Fri 22 Jul 2022 07:09:48p, *T* ha inviato su alt.comp.os.windows-
> 10 il messaggio news:tbelkt$38ifh$1@dont-email.me. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:
>
>> Is the code you copied SAP code?
>>

> no, I found it on the web, I didn't store the link but it should still be
> in the history...
>
> found!
>
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-
> us/office/vba/api/project.application.windowactivate(method)>
>
> https://is.gd/ESvesT
>
>> I would be tempted to write a program that checks
>> for the process status, if open, give him a pop
>> up that tells him to use the task bar. That
>> way he will be forced to learn how to use it.
>>

> that would be fine :)

Hi Ammammata,

I did a little research myself. This is a program I would
have loved to have written.

1) create a short cut with the same icon the user
normally clicks on.

2) read the process status and look to see if
he is already running the program

3) if already running, fire off the command to
maximize the program. If not running, run the
program

4) maybe make an error log and see how many times
if was already running the program, but this would
only offend the user if you confronted him with it.

5) maybe give his a pop up telling him how to use the
task bar, but I find uses ignore these kinds of things.
"I got an error" "What did it say?" "I donna know, I
cancelled it."

If this continues to be an issue, let me know and
I will see it I can squeeze in a quick one against
notepad and show you where to alter the name. Squeeze
in as I have been intensely busy with family
matters/emergencies lately.

-T

Re: start an existing instance of a program

<tbv5l8$39m53$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64857&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64857

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:21:12 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 23:21 UTC

On 7/28/22 14:08, T wrote:
> On 7/28/22 03:17, Ammammata wrote:
>> Il giorno Fri 22 Jul 2022 07:09:48p, *T* ha inviato su
>> alt.comp.os.windows-
>> 10 il messaggio news:tbelkt$38ifh$1@dont-email.me. Vediamo cosa ha
>> scritto:
>>
>>> Is the code you copied SAP code?
>>>

>> no, I found it on the web, I didn't store the link but it should still be
>> in the history...
>>
>> found!
>>
>> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-
>> us/office/vba/api/project.application.windowactivate(method)>
>>
>> https://is.gd/ESvesT
>>
>>> I would be tempted to write a program that checks
>>> for the process status, if open, give him a pop
>>> up that tells him to use the task bar. That
>>> way he will be forced to learn how to use it.
>>>

>> that would be fine :)
>>

> Hi Ammammata,
>
> I did a little research myself.  This is a program I would
> have loved to have written.
>
> 1) create a short cut with the same icon the user
> normally clicks on.
>
> 2) read the process status and look to see if
> he is already running the program
>
> 3) if already running, fire off the command to
> maximize the program.  If not running, run the
> program
>
> 4) maybe make an error log and see how many times
> if was already running the program, but this would
> only offend the user if you confronted him with it.
>
> 5) maybe give his a pop up telling him how to use the
> task bar, but I find uses ignore these kinds of things.
> "I got an error"  "What did it say?"  "I donna know, I
> cancelled it."
>
> If this continues to be an issue, let me know and
> I will see it I can squeeze in a quick one against
> notepad and show you where to alter the name.  Squeeze
> in as I have been intensely busy with family
> matters/emergencies lately.
>
> -T
Oh, it would be written in Raku (Perl6) so you
would have access to the source code and you
and everyone else on this group could look
it over if you were concerned about any hanky
panky