If God had a beard, he'd be a UNIX programmer.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Samba and Windows 10

SubjectAuthor
* Samba and Windows 10pinnerite
+* Re: Samba and Windows 10Paul
|`* Re: Samba and Windows 10pinnerite
| +* Re: Samba and Windows 10Paul
| |`* Re: Samba and Windows 10pinnerite
| | `* Re: Samba and Windows 10pinnerite
| |  `* Re: Samba and Windows 10Jonathan N. Little
| |   `- Re: Samba and Windows 10pinnerite
| `* Re: Samba and Windows 10Jonathan N. Little
|  `* Re: Samba and Windows 10Paul
|   `* Re: Samba and Windows 10Dan Purgert
|    `- Re: Samba and Windows 10Jonathan N. Little
`* Re: Samba and Windows 10Mr. Man-wai Chang
 `- Re: Samba and Windows 10pinnerite

1
Samba and Windows 10

<20230717210521.86130f8c4336fbd2a7d1c42c@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6443&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6443

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Samba and Windows 10
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 21:05:21 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:05 UTC

I cannot get Windows 10 to see samba shares on my reincarnated Mint 21.1.

I have tried every combination of min and max protocols.

Windows XP on the same configuration does see the samba shares.

I have come to the conclusion that I previously must have been using an earlier version of VirtualBox.

I had been using version 7.0.8 on this rig but it had annoying characteristics so I went back to 6.1.12. I have nothing earlier than that.

If anyone happens to be a VBox user and knows the answer. Plesase share.

I can carry on using VBox's shared directories but it is a niggle.

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<u94idv$1cg7u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6448&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6448

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Samba and Windows 10
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:21:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 23:21 UTC

On 7/17/2023 4:05 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I cannot get Windows 10 to see samba shares on my reincarnated Mint 21.1.
>
> I have tried every combination of min and max protocols.
>
> Windows XP on the same configuration does see the samba shares.
>
> I have come to the conclusion that I previously must have been using an earlier version of VirtualBox.
>
> I had been using version 7.0.8 on this rig but it had annoying characteristics so I went back to 6.1.12. I have nothing earlier than that.
>
> If anyone happens to be a VBox user and knows the answer. Plesase share.
>
> I can carry on using VBox's shared directories but it is a niggle.

First you have to do

ipconfig

in Windows 10 and see what your VirtualBox has netted for an IP address
from the DHCP on your router (or not). You can run with default "NAT"
for the VBox choice or you can try "Bridged".

Without discussing all the security implications, these
are the settings in the Linux Host (I'm using LM212 Victoria Cinn for test here).
I did a "sudo apt install samba", before setting up my LM212 share. And,
I can see my Windows share, which for once, didn't put up a fight. I didn't
set up a test share in my home, and put it under slash instead. Just to get on
with it.

/etc/samba/smb.conf

workgroup = WORKGROUP

server min protocol = NT1
server max protocol = smb3
client min protocol = NT1
client max protocol = smb3
client lanman auth = yes
ntlm auth = yes

That should be enough to make a VBox WinXP and a VBox Win10 work.
Previously, there was an authentication issue (get the dialog,
enter the details of the Win10 box, and get rejected). It's possible
the auth lines helped.

Paul

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<20230718073514.e66db53de5f32efce7feaf32@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6452&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6452

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 07:35:14 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 06:35 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:21:35 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 7/17/2023 4:05 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > I cannot get Windows 10 to see samba shares on my reincarnated Mint 21.1.
> >
> > I have tried every combination of min and max protocols.
> >
> > Windows XP on the same configuration does see the samba shares.
> >
> > I have come to the conclusion that I previously must have been using an earlier version of VirtualBox.
> >
> > I had been using version 7.0.8 on this rig but it had annoying characteristics so I went back to 6.1.12. I have nothing earlier than that.
> >
> > If anyone happens to be a VBox user and knows the answer. Plesase share.
> >
> > I can carry on using VBox's shared directories but it is a niggle.
> >

> First you have to do
>
> ipconfig
>
> in Windows 10 and see what your VirtualBox has netted for an IP address
> from the DHCP on your router (or not). You can run with default "NAT"
> for the VBox choice or you can try "Bridged".
>
> Without discussing all the security implications, these
> are the settings in the Linux Host (I'm using LM212 Victoria Cinn for test here).
> I did a "sudo apt install samba", before setting up my LM212 share. And,
> I can see my Windows share, which for once, didn't put up a fight. I didn't
> set up a test share in my home, and put it under slash instead. Just to get on
> with it.
>
> /etc/samba/smb.conf

> workgroup = WORKGROUP
>
> server min protocol = NT1
> server max protocol = smb3
> client min protocol = NT1
> client max protocol = smb3
> client lanman auth = yes
> ntlm auth = yes
>
> That should be enough to make a VBox WinXP and a VBox Win10 work.
> Previously, there was an authentication issue (get the dialog,
> enter the details of the Win10 box, and get rejected). It's possible
> the auth lines helped.
>
> Paul

Sadly I still get asked for my share's credentials which it rejects.
It shouldn't. They or rather it (the password) are correct. Thanks for trying.

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<u95l58$1jcvi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6456&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6456

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:14:15 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:14 UTC

On 7/18/2023 2:35 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:21:35 -0400
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 7/17/2023 4:05 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>>> I cannot get Windows 10 to see samba shares on my reincarnated Mint 21.1.
>>>
>>> I have tried every combination of min and max protocols.
>>>
>>> Windows XP on the same configuration does see the samba shares.
>>>
>>> I have come to the conclusion that I previously must have been using an earlier version of VirtualBox.
>>>
>>> I had been using version 7.0.8 on this rig but it had annoying characteristics so I went back to 6.1.12. I have nothing earlier than that.
>>>
>>> If anyone happens to be a VBox user and knows the answer. Plesase share.
>>>
>>> I can carry on using VBox's shared directories but it is a niggle.
>>>

>> First you have to do
>>
>> ipconfig
>>
>> in Windows 10 and see what your VirtualBox has netted for an IP address
>> from the DHCP on your router (or not). You can run with default "NAT"
>> for the VBox choice or you can try "Bridged".
>>
>> Without discussing all the security implications, these
>> are the settings in the Linux Host (I'm using LM212 Victoria Cinn for test here).
>> I did a "sudo apt install samba", before setting up my LM212 share. And,
>> I can see my Windows share, which for once, didn't put up a fight. I didn't
>> set up a test share in my home, and put it under slash instead. Just to get on
>> with it.
>>
>> /etc/samba/smb.conf

>> workgroup = WORKGROUP
>>
>> server min protocol = NT1
>> server max protocol = smb3
>> client min protocol = NT1
>> client max protocol = smb3
>> client lanman auth = yes
>> ntlm auth = yes
>>
>> That should be enough to make a VBox WinXP and a VBox Win10 work.
>> Previously, there was an authentication issue (get the dialog,
>> enter the details of the Win10 box, and get rejected). It's possible
>> the auth lines helped.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Sadly I still get asked for my share's credentials which it rejects.
> It shouldn't. They or rather it (the password) are correct. Thanks for trying.

wsdd package takes the place of nmbd ? This idea shows up in
Synaptic when I searched for nmb. I don't need to apply it at the
moment, as stuff seems to be working.

sudo systemctl start {nmbd,smbd,winbind}.service # I don't have a winbind

sudo systemctl status {nmbd,smbd }.service # Both are running

groups bullwinkle
bullwinkle : bullwinkle adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
^^^^^^^^^^

This is on Win10. Sadly, it never records failed attempts to connect.
Who gives a rats ass about success cases, when something is broken ?

Get-SmbConnection # This only works in Win10 Powershell *after* a connection is made
# Obviously my test connection was not from WinXP :-) [ NT1 ]
# In Win10, in Windows Features, is a way to turn on NT1 so WinXP can connect to Win10

ServerName ShareName UserName Credential Dialect NumOpens
---------- --------- -------- ---------- ------- --------
WALLACE RAMDrive WALLACE\username My MSA 3.1.1 2

nbtscan-1.0.35.exe 192.168.1.0/24
192.168.1.3 WORKGROUP\CRUISE SHARING # But Win10 does not list itself.
*timeout (normal end of scan) # Generally, NBTscan sees more items, than any file manager.

The program is also available on Linux. Convenient.
However, it does not mention the workgroup value.
Both boxes are workgroup=WORKGROUP. I like it when it
lists the workgroup value, because it can identify VMs
where you haven't configured that yet.

bullwinkle@CRUISE:~$ nbtscan 192.168.1.0/24
Doing NBT name scan for addresses from 192.168.1.0/24

IP address NetBIOS Name Server User MAC address
192.168.1.3 CRUISE <server> CRUISE 00:00:00:00:00:00 Linux physical box
192.168.1.2 WALLACE <server> <unknown> 2c:f0:12:34:56:78 Windows physical box
192.168.1.255 Sendto failed: Permission denied
bullwinkle@CRUISE:~$

Not that this makes a bit of difference of course. I hardly
ever get to refer to them by name. It's the luck of the
draw on boot order, and population of a list.

Still no sign of an authentication issue, but I have *definitely*
seen a rejection issue before. Most annoying when it happens.
Probably a different distro ? Maybe I saw that on a Ubuntu, like
a 23.04 or something.

Paul

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<u95s40$1kc9g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6458&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6458

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 07:12:35 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 11:12 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:21:35 -0400
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 7/17/2023 4:05 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>>> I cannot get Windows 10 to see samba shares on my reincarnated Mint 21.1.
>>>
>>> I have tried every combination of min and max protocols.
>>>
>>> Windows XP on the same configuration does see the samba shares.
>>>
>>> I have come to the conclusion that I previously must have been using an earlier version of VirtualBox.
>>>
>>> I had been using version 7.0.8 on this rig but it had annoying characteristics so I went back to 6.1.12. I have nothing earlier than that.
>>>
>>> If anyone happens to be a VBox user and knows the answer. Plesase share.
>>>
>>> I can carry on using VBox's shared directories but it is a niggle.
>>>

>> First you have to do
>>
>> ipconfig
>>
>> in Windows 10 and see what your VirtualBox has netted for an IP address
>> from the DHCP on your router (or not). You can run with default "NAT"
>> for the VBox choice or you can try "Bridged".
>>
>> Without discussing all the security implications, these
>> are the settings in the Linux Host (I'm using LM212 Victoria Cinn for test here).
>> I did a "sudo apt install samba", before setting up my LM212 share. And,
>> I can see my Windows share, which for once, didn't put up a fight. I didn't
>> set up a test share in my home, and put it under slash instead. Just to get on
>> with it.
>>
>> /etc/samba/smb.conf

>> workgroup = WORKGROUP
>>
>> server min protocol = NT1
>> server max protocol = smb3
>> client min protocol = NT1
>> client max protocol = smb3
>> client lanman auth = yes
>> ntlm auth = yes
>>
>> That should be enough to make a VBox WinXP and a VBox Win10 work.
>> Previously, there was an authentication issue (get the dialog,
>> enter the details of the Win10 box, and get rejected). It's possible
>> the auth lines helped.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Sadly I still get asked for my share's credentials which it rejects.
> It shouldn't. They or rather it (the password) are correct. Thanks for trying.

WAG, on reincarnated Mint 21.1 did you add samba password for user?

sudo smbpasswd -a YOUR_USER_NAME

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<20230718182649.ba3a2765fc63dd40c286024a@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6469&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6469

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:26:49 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:26 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:14:15 -0400
> [...]

> lists the workgroup value, because it can identify VMs
> where you haven't configured that yet.
>
> bullwinkle@CRUISE:~$ nbtscan 192.168.1.0/24
> Doing NBT name scan for addresses from 192.168.1.0/24
>
> IP address NetBIOS Name Server User MAC address
> 192.168.1.3 CRUISE <server> CRUISE 00:00:00:00:00:00 Linux physical box
> 192.168.1.2 WALLACE <server> <unknown> 2c:f0:12:34:56:78 Windows physical box
> 192.168.1.255 Sendto failed: Permission denied
> bullwinkle@CRUISE:~$
>
> Not that this makes a bit of difference of course. I hardly
> ever get to refer to them by name. It's the luck of the
> draw on boot order, and population of a list.
>
> Still no sign of an authentication issue, but I have *definitely*
> seen a rejection issue before. Most annoying when it happens.
> Probably a different distro ? Maybe I saw that on a Ubuntu, like

As Windows XP running on the same VBox/Mint 21.1 combination runs vedry fast and connects to the same samba shares. the problem is either protocol limitations or Windows 10 itself.

As Windows 10 has shown several oddities I am going through the onboard Windows repair options. This agonisingly slow and for me foreign territory but I shal stick with it.

Alan

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<u97u9n$21fpo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6473&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6473

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 02:02:30 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 06:02 UTC

On 7/18/2023 7:12 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> pinnerite wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:21:35 -0400
>> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> First you have to do
>>>
>>> ipconfig
>>>
>>> in Windows 10 and see what your VirtualBox has netted for an IP address
>>> from the DHCP on your router (or not). You can run with default "NAT"
>>> for the VBox choice or you can try "Bridged".
>>>
>>> Without discussing all the security implications, these
>>> are the settings in the Linux Host (I'm using LM212 Victoria Cinn for test here).
>>> I did a "sudo apt install samba", before setting up my LM212 share. And,
>>> I can see my Windows share, which for once, didn't put up a fight. I didn't
>>> set up a test share in my home, and put it under slash instead. Just to get on
>>> with it.
>>>
>>> /etc/samba/smb.conf

>>> workgroup = WORKGROUP
>>>
>>> server min protocol = NT1
>>> server max protocol = smb3
>>> client min protocol = NT1
>>> client max protocol = smb3
>>> client lanman auth = yes
>>> ntlm auth = yes
>>>
>>> That should be enough to make a VBox WinXP and a VBox Win10 work.
>>> Previously, there was an authentication issue (get the dialog,
>>> enter the details of the Win10 box, and get rejected). It's possible
>>> the auth lines helped.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> Sadly I still get asked for my share's credentials which it rejects.
>> It shouldn't. They or rather it (the password) are correct. Thanks for trying.
>>

> WAG, on reincarnated Mint 21.1 did you add samba password for user?
>
> sudo smbpasswd -a YOUR_USER_NAME

My test setup was like this. I tend to keep one account as
common to all the things where I expect to be doing smb/cifs.

LM212 physical Win10 pyhsical Win7 (no MSA possible???)

user=bullwinkle pw=password user=MSAname pw=MSApass
user=bullwinkle pw=password user=bullwinkle pw=password

The bullwinkle account is something I added to Win10
just for file sharing.

The MSAname is not a practical way of authenticating
anything.

This is not a Domain setup, so there isn't any coordination of SIDs.
The SID of bullwinkle on Win10, is not the same as the SID of bullwinkle on win7,
but this only matters when connecting the Win7 physical HDD to the Win10 machine
and "browsing" things with the usual Win7 ownership. The "implicit Takeown"
the File Explorer uses, allows stamping ownership on user directories,
so two SIDs can be assigned and I can "get in" and do stuff.

Apparently smb.conf has some sort of password sync, which
might imply that the smbpasswd and the Linux account and
passwd are handled the same somehow. Even though there
is the possibility of setting up Samba server on the
LM212 side, to use one of three different databases
for the password.

I tested this one, where the password value is the same on the two,
and the bullwinkle account worked to get me in. It's possible
installing samba, provided the smb.conf starting file, to which
I added my six line stanza.

bullwinkle:password
(server) <=============================== (client)

LM212 Win10

user=bullwinkle pw=password user=MSAname pw=MSApass X Logged in, via MSA
user=bullwinkle pw=password <=== this makes the samba connection

unix password sync = yes \
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u \___ I did not set these...
pam password change = yes /
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m /

cat /var/lib/samba/usershares/topshared

#VERSION 2
path=/topshared
comment=
usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:F
guest_ok=y
sharename=topshared

The testfile in /topshared

ls -al /topshared

rwx r r nobody nogroup 5 WALLACE.txt

From Win10, I tried to edit the file and I was denied.
Then I notice /var/log/samba/log.wallace was updated a
minute or two ago.

Segmentation fault (/usr/sbin/smbd ? hard to tell)

And now I'm editing the file. See how neat it is, to
not read LOG FILES :-) The test file has five characters
in it "saved", which is from where I saved out my Notepad
session into the share, yesterday. And the nobody:nogroup
suggests I did this as Guest, and not as bullwinkle.

Well, at least there are plenty of moving part -- no complaint there :-)

Paul

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<slrnubfhut.f45.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6477&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6477

Followup: alt.os.linux.mint
From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:22:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:22 UTC

On 2023-07-19, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> Apparently smb.conf has some sort of password sync, which
> might imply that the smbpasswd and the Linux account and
> passwd are handled the same somehow. Even though there
> is the possibility of setting up Samba server on the
> LM212 side, to use one of three different databases
> for the password.

They're not, but (as I recall), if the samba user (configured with, iirc
'smbpasswd') is the same name as a standard user (in /etc/passwd), then
there is a setting that allows samba to execute passwd(1) to keep the
system login in sync with the samba password. Can't recall ever using
it though :( .

> I tested this one, where the password value is the same on the two,
> and the bullwinkle account worked to get me in. It's possible
> installing samba, provided the smb.conf starting file, to which
> I added my six line stanza.
>
> [...]
>
> The testfile in /topshared
>
> ls -al /topshared
>
> rwx r r nobody nogroup 5 WALLACE.txt
>
> From Win10, I tried to edit the file and I was denied.
> Then I notice /var/log/samba/log.wallace was updated a
> minute or two ago.
>
> Segmentation fault (/usr/sbin/smbd ? hard to tell)
>
> And now I'm editing the file. See how neat it is, to
> not read LOG FILES :-) The test file has five characters
> in it "saved", which is from where I saved out my Notepad
> session into the share, yesterday. And the nobody:nogroup
> suggests I did this as Guest, and not as bullwinkle.

IIRC, samba doesn't assume samba users are also users on the local
system; although I recall it saving as samba:samba by default (but it's
been ages since i've set up a samba server).

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<u98otp$25pfp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6484&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6484

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 09:36:27 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 13:36 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> IIRC, samba doesn't assume samba users are also users on the local
> system; although I recall it saving as samba:samba by default (but it's
> been ages since i've set up a samba server).

The default security in samba is:

security = user

where samba users also have a local user account (although it does not
have to be a login account). Legacy setting for not requiring a local
user account was:

security = share

but it is deprecated, maybe obsoleted now. IIRC not used since pre-XP
days...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<20230720185955.e193a61cb73954c940673a34@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6498&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6498

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 18:59:55 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:59 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:26:49 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:14:15 -0400
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 7/18/2023 2:35 AM, pinnerite wrote:

> > > Sadly I still get asked for my share's credentials which it rejects.
> > > It shouldn't. They or rather it (the password) are correct. Thanks for trying.
> > >

> > wsdd package takes the place of nmbd ? This idea shows up in
> > Synaptic when I searched for nmb. I don't need to apply it at the
> > moment, as stuff seems to be working.
> >
> > sudo systemctl start {nmbd,smbd,winbind}.service # I don't have a winbind
> >
> > sudo systemctl status {nmbd,smbd }.service # Both are running
> >
> > groups bullwinkle
> > bullwinkle : bullwinkle adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
> > ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This is on Win10. Sadly, it never records failed attempts to connect.
> > Who gives a rats ass about success cases, when something is broken ?
> >
> > Get-SmbConnection # This only works in Win10 Powershell *after* a connection is made
> > # Obviously my test connection was not from WinXP :-) [ NT1 ]
> > # In Win10, in Windows Features, is a way to turn on NT1 so WinXP can connect to Win10
> >
> > ServerName ShareName UserName Credential Dialect NumOpens
> > ---------- --------- -------- ---------- ------- --------
> > WALLACE RAMDrive WALLACE\username My MSA 3.1.1 2
> >
> > nbtscan-1.0.35.exe 192.168.1.0/24
> > 192.168.1.3 WORKGROUP\CRUISE SHARING # But Win10 does not list itself.
> > *timeout (normal end of scan) # Generally, NBTscan sees more items, than any file manager.
> >
> > The program is also available on Linux. Convenient.
> > However, it does not mention the workgroup value.
> > Both boxes are workgroup=WORKGROUP. I like it when it
> > lists the workgroup value, because it can identify VMs
> > where you haven't configured that yet.
> >
> > bullwinkle@CRUISE:~$ nbtscan 192.168.1.0/24
> > Doing NBT name scan for addresses from 192.168.1.0/24
> >
> > IP address NetBIOS Name Server User MAC address
> > 192.168.1.3 CRUISE <server> CRUISE 00:00:00:00:00:00 Linux physical box
> > 192.168.1.2 WALLACE <server> <unknown> 2c:f0:12:34:56:78 Windows physical box
> > 192.168.1.255 Sendto failed: Permission denied
> > bullwinkle@CRUISE:~$
> >
> > Not that this makes a bit of difference of course. I hardly
> > ever get to refer to them by name. It's the luck of the
> > draw on boot order, and population of a list.
> >
> > Still no sign of an authentication issue, but I have *definitely*
> > seen a rejection issue before. Most annoying when it happens.
> > Probably a different distro ? Maybe I saw that on a Ubuntu, like
> > a 23.04 or something.
> >
> > Paul
>
> As Windows XP running on the same VBox/Mint 21.1 combination runs vedry fast and connects to the same samba shares. the problem is either protocol limitations or Windows 10 itself.
>
> As Windows 10 has shown several oddities I am going through the onboard Windows repair options. This agonisingly slow and for me foreign territory but I shal stick with it.
>
> Alan

Windows 10 seems to have cleared itself. I decided to overwrite smb.conf with a version that I knew had been reliable and tested again.

Bingo! Both XP and Win-10 are accessing the Linux shares again.

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<u9e5bk$39m5h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6503&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6503

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 10:39:19 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 14:39 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> Windows 10 seems to have cleared itself. I decided to overwrite smb.conf with a version that I knew had been reliable and tested again.
>
> Bingo! Both XP and Win-10 are accessing the Linux shares again.

testparm -d might have helped.

Also "diff non_working_smb.conf backup_smb.conf" might be informative

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<20230721182116.b867a490ade87373e2b43f63@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6507&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6507

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:21:16 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 17:21 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 10:39:19 -0400
"Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art@gmail.com> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > Windows 10 seems to have cleared itself. I decided to overwrite smb.conf with a version that I knew had been reliable and tested again.
> >
> > Bingo! Both XP and Win-10 are accessing the Linux shares again.
>
> testparm -d might have helped.
>
> Also "diff non_working_smb.conf backup_smb.conf" might be informative
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan

You're right. I haven't used diff for over 20 years! :)

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<ua0kk6$292qs$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6591&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6591

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 22:50:36 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:50 UTC

On 7/18/2023 4:05 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> I cannot get Windows 10 to see samba shares on my reincarnated Mint 21.1.
>
> I have tried every combination of min and max protocols.
>
> Windows XP on the same configuration does see the samba shares.

Are you using the stanealone Samba or the in-kernel Samba?

Re: Samba and Windows 10

<20230728203049.b2f8ccfdaed26339fdddb15f@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6593&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6593

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 20:30:49 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 19:30 UTC

On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 22:50:36 +0800
"Mr. Man-wai Chang" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/18/2023 4:05 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> > I cannot get Windows 10 to see samba shares on my reincarnated Mint 21.1.
> >
> > I have tried every combination of min and max protocols.
> >
> > Windows XP on the same configuration does see the samba shares.
>
> Are you using the stanealone Samba or the in-kernel Samba?

Just the regular client and server modules.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-76-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda