You! What PLANET is this! -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

SubjectAuthor
* Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Geeknix
+- Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?JAB
+* Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Spalls Hurgenson
|+- Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Werner P.
|`* Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Spalls Hurgenson
| `* Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Werner P.
|  `* Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Ross Ridge
|   `- Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Werner P.
`* Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Werner P.
 `* Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?JAB
  `* Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Werner P.
   +- Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Werner P.
   `* Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?JAB
    `- Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?Werner P.

1
Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<slrnsvci1c.5ut.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6048&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6048

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Subject: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 08:11:24 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 08:11 UTC

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Deck-25-February

Releasing on my birthday! Doubt I'll get it here in Malaysia though,
not for some time anyway.

Anyone planning to purchase one? What are your thoughts on it, have to
admit I don't know much?

I'd like to know what the battery life will be like.

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<st5kth$cad$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6049&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6049

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 09:14:24 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 09:14 UTC

On 30/01/2022 08:11, Geeknix wrote:
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Deck-25-February
>
> Releasing on my birthday! Doubt I'll get it here in Malaysia though,
> not for some time anyway.
>
> Anyone planning to purchase one? What are your thoughts on it, have to
> admit I don't know much?
>
> I'd like to know what the battery life will be like.

Overall I think it quite a nice piece of kit and although not cheap I
can see it having good if not spectacular sales. Personally though it's
just not for me. The first reason is I've tried the Steam
controller/link and can't say I got on with it as the games I tend to
play are more mouse + keyboard friendly and sitting in front of the TV
just seems a bit strange. Gaming on the go, I use an iPad, is even
stranger as the type of games I play then are really something that
isn't challenging (to my shame I do play match-3 games) and something
that you can play for 10-20mins and then get on with something else.

So it's wallet closed for me.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<n7ddvgl7obtr575pb6qahjl92l00ipdnqf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6055&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6055

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:24:36 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:24 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 08:11:24 GMT, Geeknix
<usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Deck-25-February

>Releasing on my birthday! Doubt I'll get it here in Malaysia though,
>not for some time anyway.

>Anyone planning to purchase one? What are your thoughts on it, have to
>admit I don't know much?

(Awww, you beat me to it. I wanted to start a 'Steam Deck' thread,
except then I got distracted by Epic's and Ubisoft's shenanigans and
figured I'd flooded the newsgroup enough. But I waited too long and
now I've been pre-empted!

(Well, you might have gotten there first, but that doesn't save you
from an overly long diatribe from yours truly. Screed mode engaged!
;-)

So, I've been watching the Steam Deck for a while. From a
technological standpoint, it's quite impressive. Not necessarily from
a gaming standpoint but just the fact they got that much raw power
into a comparatively small package makes me look at it with interest.
(My God, just the thermal engineering must have taken up half the
development time!) Honestly, I'd want one simply because I admire good
design.

But as a gaming machine? Well, I'm a bit more 'on the fence' in that
regard. This isn't a high-end machine; already I look askance at its
specs for RAM (only 16GB) and storage (only 512MB) and see how
limiting those will be for future games. I can't make direct comment
on its CPU and GPUs; Valve and AMD talk a good game about how great
their performance is, but until the devices are in the wild and we can
do direct comparisons, who knows how capable they really are. Probably
good enough for most current games at lower resolutions, but up to
the task for the games of tomorrow? Less likely.

Coupled with that is its form factor. As much as I love the
engineering hurdles that were overcome by Valve to create this thing,
I really don't have a need for a hand-held PC gaming device. If I got
one, more likely than not I'd use it connected to a big-screen TV and
with a bluetooth keyboard/monitor setup. And if I'm doing that, I
might as well just stick with a regular desktop setup.

And this is the biggest problem I have with the SteamDeck; aside from
appealing to the part of me that is a technofetishist, it doesn't
really offer me anything I need, and comes with some significant
downsides. It has lower-end hardware, no real upgrade path, and
notable compatibility issues. Valve also has a history of abandoning
its hardware initiatives after a few years (SteamMachine,
SteamController, SteamLink) that make me leery of investing in any new
platform they create.

Of course, the real reason for the device has nothing to do with
giving customers what they want; it's all about Valve's struggle to
create customer lock-in. After all, there really is nothing about
Steam that keeps players coming back except inertia (it's familiar,
it's where most of their games are, it's where most of the players
are). But if somebody were to 'create a better mousetrap' (as, for
instance, Epic is valiantly attempting), there's little to keep people
from migrating to the new platform. SteamDeck - and Valve's earlier
work with their 'SteamMachines'* - is an attempt to radically change
the PC gaming ecosystem and then dominate said ecosystem before any of
its competitors have a chance... much as they did with digital
marketplaces way back in 2003 when Steam was first introduced.

Now, I don't think Valve is entirely so cynical as this; I do believe
they earnestly also want to improve the PC gaming ecosystem too.** PC
gaming has long been plagued with compatibility issues and the
unnecessary computational overhead of having to run a general purpose
OS alongside the games, and things like SteamDeck work to improve
this. But its the hope of ground-flooring an entirely new marketplace
that got the millions (billions?) of dollars of funding for the
SteamDeck, not ideals.

Which, ultimately, leads to my biggest concern with the SteamDeck;
it's trying to fundamentally alter PC gaming into something entirely
new. It's trying to consolify*** the market. If SteamDeck were to
succeed big, all games would be designed around its hardware (at least
until SteamDeck II is released in six years), rather than the slowly
evolving specs of PC hardware that is so much a hardware for
developers today. Games would be developed around its control scheme
(two thumbsticks, 4 buttons and a d-pad), rather than keyboard mouse
because that's what developers are sure everyone has. Games themselves
would be designed for sessions that can be comfortably played whilst
holding the device in your hands; can you imagine playing a ten-hour
long session of a 'one-more-turn' 4X game on this thing? I can't...
and I don't think most games would want that either... and so an
entire genre of games would avoid the platform. Demographics for
handheld gaming devices also skew radically more towards the younger
set than PC gaming market as a whole, and games would follow that
younger market.

Such things likely won't come to pass, of course; there would be a
revolt by gamers and new alternatives that allow 'traditional' PC
gaming would appear. In this case Valve would either have to continue
on its path or abandon the SteamDeck... but either way I - as a PC
gaming traditionalist myself - see no advantage in moving to their new
platform.

Still, the question remains: will I get one? Eh, probably, but not
because I can ever see it replace my desktop as a primary gaming
device. Still, I can see myself eventually purchasing one for a
variety of reasons.

For instance, maybe I'd get it because - as I said - I admire its
design.

Or I'd get it because - despite my concerns above - there are some
things about its philosophy I agree with; for example, the idea of a
lightweight PC gaming OS that challenges Microsoft's dominance is
appealing.

I'd get one because I'd enjoy seeing what ELSE I can do with other
than use it to play games on Steam.

I'd get one because it's cheap after Valve gives up on the platform
and starts offering it for pennies on a dollar and appeals to my FOMO
(as happened with the SteamPad and SteamLink).

I'd even get one as a 'secondary' PC for people to play on whenever I
invite friends over (yes, it happens), because it's probably a cheaper
alternative than a similarly spec'd PC for that same purpose (but hey,
at least it's finally because it's a game machine).

But as something /I/ would use to play games on? Sorry Valve, not
really that interested.

>I'd like to know what the battery life will be like.

Valve reports '2 to 8 hours', a wonderfully vague and expansive span
of time. But, then again, I can hardly blame them, given the wide
range of games it supports. "God of War" is going to hit the battery
much harder than, say, "Master of Orion 1" running on DOSBox.

Still, the '2 to 8 hours' value is similar to that of a lot of 'gaming
laptops', and if we assume it is accurate for the device, we can base
its "actual" life span from that. For a GPU/CPU heavy modern game
(say, "Doom Eternal"), except maybe 1 to 2 hours; for an older and
less resource-heavy game (let's say something like "Alan Wake"), 3 to
4 hours. "Diablo 3" (or streaming video) might push it to 5 hours;
expect 8 hours only for the least resource-intensive games, or simply
the OS. Of course, those values will go down as the battery ages...
and there's been no mention on whether the device has a replaceable
battery (but there's no apparent battery cover...)

-------------------

** SteamMachines - and its integral SteamOS - were, if you remember, a
direct response to Microsoft adding an app store to its Windows OS.
There was real worry at Valve that by offering a default location for
buying and installing apps - and games - Microsoft would quickly be
able to pre-empt Valve as the dominant digital marketplace.
SteamMachines were a shot across Microsoft's bow saying, "Do this and
we're moving to Linux... and taking our audience of 1 billion PC
gamers with us." That this never happened (not that I think it would
have succeeded) had more to do with Microsoft's own ineptness than any
threat of Valve's. SteamDeck is just a continuation of this
philosophy, probably enhanced by the increased competition from Epic
and the various streaming and subscription services.

*** I would wager a (small amount) of money that SteamDeck began with
some engineer at Valve saying, "Wow, the Nintendo Switch thing is
really neat; it'd be cool if we had something like that for PCs." It
grew from there, aided by Valve's reported 'Do something because you
think it's neat' internal business structure. But actually developing
the product to release and getting it onto market required more
justification than "it's cool" and demanded further justification
given its high costs. Protecting Steam from existential threats is the
most likely one.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<st85sq$idl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6063&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6063

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:16:26 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 08:16 UTC

Am 30.01.22 um 09:11 schrieb Geeknix:
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Deck-25-February
>
> Releasing on my birthday! Doubt I'll get it here in Malaysia though,
> not for some time anyway.
>
> Anyone planning to purchase one? What are your thoughts on it, have to
> admit I don't know much?
>
> I'd like to know what the battery life will be like.

I ordered one when I was in the hospital with a disc prolapse.. it was
my personal birthday gift to me. This thing is heavens sent since I
cannot sit anymore for prolongued periods of time. Things have gotten
better over the last few months but still i do not want to risk another
hospital visit.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<st862g$idl$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6064&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6064

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:19:28 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 08:19 UTC

Am 30.01.22 um 18:24 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> But as a gaming machine? Well, I'm a bit more 'on the fence' in that
> regard. This isn't a high-end machine; already I look askance at its
> specs for RAM (only 16GB) and storage (only 512MB) and see how
> limiting those will be for future games. I can't make direct comment
> on its CPU and GPUs; Valve and AMD talk a good game about how great
> their performance is, but until the devices are in the wild and we can
> do direct comparisons, who knows how capable they really are. Probably
> good enough for most current games at lower resolutions, but up to
> the task for the games of tomorrow? Less likely.

I dont expect more than a decent notebook performance, aka you will be
able to run a ton of 3d games with medium to low settings, but for
gaming on the go this is good enough. Most of the games in my steam list
are not very demanding, if for instance the Witcher 3 with somewhat
toned down settings runs decently I will be a happy camper.
Having had a steam controller in the past I wont mind the controller
especially given that they gave the thing a second stick, which was the
biggest mistake they did in the SC, the smaller touchpads, not so sure
about them we will see, but so far no one has complained about them.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<st88he$7tt$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6066&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6066

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:01:32 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:01 UTC

On 31/01/2022 08:16, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 30.01.22 um 09:11 schrieb Geeknix:
>> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Deck-25-February
>>

>> Releasing on my birthday! Doubt I'll get it here in Malaysia though,
>> not for some time anyway.
>>
>> Anyone planning to purchase one? What are your thoughts on it, have to
>> admit I don't know much?
>>
>> I'd like to know what the battery life will be like.
>>
> I ordered one when I was in the hospital with a disc prolapse.. it was
> my personal birthday gift to me. This thing is heavens sent since I
> cannot sit anymore for prolongued periods of time. Things have gotten
> better over the last few months but still i do not want to risk another
> hospital visit.

Being someone who also suffers from back problems I feel for you.
Fortunately mine have never been so bad that I've ended up in hospital
just several days of extreme agony even with strong pain killers. I even
remember one time when in the middle of the night I woke-up and still
half asleep turned to one side. Bad idea as the pain meant I
instinctively turned the other way and promptly fell out of bed. It took
me about ten minutes to get up from the floor.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<st89cm$ld9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6068&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6068

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 10:16:05 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:16 UTC

Am 31.01.22 um 10:01 schrieb JAB:
> Being someone who also suffers from back problems I feel for you.
> Fortunately mine have never been so bad that I've ended up in hospital
> just several days of extreme agony even with strong pain killers. I even
> remember one time when in the middle of the night I woke-up and still
> half asleep turned to one side. Bad idea as the pain meant I
> instinctively turned the other way and promptly fell out of bed. It took
> me about ten minutes to get up from the floor.

Fortunately no pain killers here, the hospital doctors were top notch. I
was on opiates for a week, thankfully the doctors knew their business
and weaned me off asap they really just took the edge from me to make
the nights bearable for the critical period, a good therapy and regular
back training does the trick, the rest will be done by time. But i
cannot say I am symptom free, they are just very bearable and slowly
becoming better. Physiotherapy rehab was the best thing I could do
(thankfully we have a good healthcare system here, although it too is
very strained by Covid)

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<st89gc$ld9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6069&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6069

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 10:18:04 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:18 UTC

Am 31.01.22 um 10:16 schrieb Werner P.:
> Fortunately no pain killers here, the hospital doctors were top notch. I
> was on opiates for a week, thankfully the doctors knew their business
> and weaned me off asap they really just took the edge from me to make
> the nights bearable for the critical period, a good therapy and regular
> back training does the trick, the rest will be done by time. But i
> cannot say I am symptom free, they are just very bearable and slowly
> becoming better. Physiotherapy rehab was the best thing I could do
> (thankfully we have a good healthcare system here, although it too is
> very strained by Covid)
Btw. I cannot say that I was not really scared when they proposed
opiates on top of milder stuff, but in the end sometimes there are
situations where cannot avoid them, i just made peace with it, given
that they did not keep me on it for a long period of time. It was simply
use where it made sense, a short period of time, dosage as low as
possible and under medical surveillance and as short as possible.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<st8bbh$u9h$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6071&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6071

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:49:35 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:49 UTC

On 31/01/2022 09:16, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 31.01.22 um 10:01 schrieb JAB:
>> Being someone who also suffers from back problems I feel for you.
>> Fortunately mine have never been so bad that I've ended up in hospital
>> just several days of extreme agony even with strong pain killers. I
>> even remember one time when in the middle of the night I woke-up and
>> still half asleep turned to one side. Bad idea as the pain meant I
>> instinctively turned the other way and promptly fell out of bed. It
>> took me about ten minutes to get up from the floor.
>
> Fortunately no pain killers here, the hospital doctors were top notch. I
> was on opiates for a week, thankfully the doctors knew their business
> and weaned me off asap they really just took the edge from me to make
> the nights bearable for the critical period, a good therapy and regular
> back training does the trick, the rest will be done by time. But i
> cannot say I am symptom free, they are just very bearable and slowly
> becoming better. Physiotherapy rehab was the best thing I could do
> (thankfully we have a good healthcare system here, although it too is
> very strained by Covid)

My doctor is so nice that when my back flares up (that happens every few
years) I can just phone up and they'll make a prescription for high dose
codeine which takes the edge of it. I do try and stop taking it within
five days or so but I find it pretty much essential for the first few
when even walking is extremely painful. Oh the enjoy of only being able
to get up the stairs on all fours. Fortunately it only takes a couple of
weeks before I'm basically back to normal.

As an aside is hospital normal for where you are as here in the UK I
believe the general recommendation is rest but also try and stay as
active as much as you can and as soon as you can. The physio part is
really left to you as in here's a leaflet on back exercises.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<st8eke$utc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6072&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6072

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 11:45:34 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 10:45 UTC

Am 31.01.22 um 10:49 schrieb JAB:
> On 31/01/2022 09:16, Werner P. wrote:
>> Am 31.01.22 um 10:01 schrieb JAB:
>>> Being someone who also suffers from back problems I feel for you.
>>> Fortunately mine have never been so bad that I've ended up in
>>> hospital just several days of extreme agony even with strong pain
>>> killers. I even remember one time when in the middle of the night I
>>> woke-up and still half asleep turned to one side. Bad idea as the
>>> pain meant I instinctively turned the other way and promptly fell out
>>> of bed. It took me about ten minutes to get up from the floor.
>>

> As an aside is hospital normal for where you are as here in the UK I
> believe the general recommendation is rest but also try and stay as
> active as much as you can and as soon as you can. The physio part is
> really left to you as in here's a leaflet on back exercises.

Physio was absolutely necessary to get me back in shape...
I would not say it is a nice to have, while trying to get back to
excersizes is important a good physio can help wonders.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<fos51hlv1q7ucpb4r5q4bq4ca4lg8jem7d@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6343&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6343

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:28:06 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:28 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:24:36 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 08:11:24 GMT, Geeknix
><usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>>https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Deck-25-February
>
>>Releasing on my birthday! Doubt I'll get it here in Malaysia though,
>>not for some time anyway.

>>Anyone planning to purchase one? What are your thoughts on it, have to
>>admit I don't know much?

Early reviews are out and they are... mixed.

On the whole, people like the device, but it seems more for its
potential than actual implementation. Common complaints are largely
that it's bulky, its battery life is unimpressive, and it has
compatibility issues with many games. None of these problems are in
the least bit surprising.

The device is, perhaps unfairly, being compared to the Nintendo
Switch. Unfairly because it's a far more powerful device, and
expecting Valve - not a dedicated hardware developer - to somehow
squeeze that much performance into a device as small as Nintendo's was
a fool's notion. Still, at 1.5x the weight and the width of the
Switch, it's not really a good fit for a commuter's bag. My wrists
tire holding up an Ipad for any significant period of time; the Steam
Deck is even heavier and requires me to punch buttons with my fingers
too. It just doesn't sound like it would make for comfortable
long-term gameplay.

Of course, its 60-90 minute battery life (while playing top-end games)
means that it probably won't last a commute anyway. You can get more
life out of it by scaling down the graphics (capping FPS at 60 or
turning on Vsync can get you another 30 minutes) or playing less
intensive games but it's a far cry from Nintendo's four-hour charge.

And, of course, there's software compatibility issues. Proton - the
abstraction layer that lets the Linux-based Steam Deck play Windows
games - is some amazing tech, and it's impressive how many games it
manages to play at all... but 'play' and 'play flawlessly' are in no
way identical... and even with Proton's compatibility shims, some
games just won't work at all.

I admire the Steam Deck for all it does manage to accomplish, and a
part of me really wants Valve to succeed with their project, if only
because we desperately need a viable alternative to Windows for
PC-based gaming (Microsoft is getting scarily close to achieving their
goal of software-as-a-service based computing for the platform). I
just don't see the Steam Deck being that alternative... at least, not
yet.

It's a wonderful tech demo, but - other than offering an idealistic
hope of dethroning Microsoft - there's precious little incentive to
buying it over a 'real' PC... or even a Nintendo Switch. Heck, it
doesn't even have any exclusives (<cough cough Half Life 3 cough>) to
show off the system. I'd love if Valve took the base system and
iterated it into something awesome, but at the moment I've little
inclination to spend $400 on a device that will likely be collecting
dust after a month or two of playing with it.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<suvvj5$34s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6345&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6345

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 13:12:20 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:12 UTC

Am 21.02.22 um 03:28 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> Early reviews are out and they are... mixed.
>
> On the whole, people like the device, but it seems more for its
> potential than actual implementation. Common complaints are largely
> that it's bulky, its battery life is unimpressive, and it has
> compatibility issues with many games. None of these problems are in
> the least bit surprising.
Yes all of it is non surprising, but i have run extensive tests on my
steam library and 90% of my games simply work in linux nowadays which is
roughly 650 games!

I think the compatibility issue is way exaggerated given already over
600 games are branded as playable on the device and i suspect 90% of the
steam library is.

Actually many early reviews are not really mixed but very favorable
despite the shortcomings which are expected.
You simply will get 3 - 5 hours of playtime out of a single charge in a
normal setup realistically, which is not great but not bad either.

The only real gripe i have with this device is the glued battery, which
ruins the right to repair trackrecord Valve has given with this device,
big time.

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<sv8v64$1cf3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6381&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6381

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 22:00:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ross Ridge - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 22:00 UTC

Werner P. <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:
>I think the compatibility issue is way exaggerated given already over
>600 games are branded as playable on the device and i suspect 90% of the
>steam library is.

Almost all of the reasons why a game would be listed "Playable"
rather than "Verifed Compatible" are becasue of the Steam Deck form
factor itself, rather than problems with the Proton compatiblity layer.
Even Linux native games will end up as merely "Playable" if their text
is too small or they don't have controller support for the Steam Deck,
using the same icons in game as appear on the buttons.

Unplayable games are the ones where you'll find that Proton wasn't up
to the task, often because of kernel level anti-cheat protection.

>The only real gripe i have with this device is the glued battery, which
>ruins the right to repair trackrecord Valve has given with this device,
>big time.

I'm willing to give Valve the benefit of doubt on this. Lithium-ion
batteries are explosions waiting to happen, and I'm guessing they did
this to reduce the chance of mechanical damage to the battery.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: Steam Deck, what are your thoughts?

<t04p38$q0b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6487&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6487

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:08:23 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 11:08 UTC

Am 24.02.22 um 23:00 schrieb Ross Ridge:
> Almost all of the reasons why a game would be listed "Playable"
> rather than "Verifed Compatible" are becasue of the Steam Deck form
> factor itself, rather than problems with the Proton compatiblity layer.
> Even Linux native games will end up as merely "Playable" if their text
> is too small or they don't have controller support for the Steam Deck,
> using the same icons in game as appear on the buttons.
Yes even a non working automated auto popup of the keyboard (aka custom
text entry) is enough to get a playable.
Valve is pretty hard on giving the verified criteria, which is a good thing.