Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: I've lost the beep!
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 01:18:12 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 01:18 UTC

My PC lo longer beeps when warning me that I am about to overwrite a file.
Where can I look to find a setting for this. I've checked all the obvioius
spots already.

Re: I've lost the beep!

<p8ytz7uu309e.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64884&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64884

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: I've lost the beep!
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 23:46:09 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 04:46 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

> My PC lo longer beeps when warning me that I am about to overwrite a
> file. Where can I look to find a setting for this. I've checked all
> the obvioius spots already.

Did you check in the Sound Control Panel (mmsys.cpl, or use the old
Control Panel of control.exe) under Sounds to see if you still have a
sound event associated with the Default sound event? I'm guessing the
"beep" you used to hear is the Default Beep sound file ("Windows
Background.wav"). You need to check if a sound file is associated with
the sound event played when you overwrite a file -- which presumably is
when you are using File Explorer, but you didn't say just HOW you are
overwriting an existing file.

Possible sound events that might be playing on the file overwrite event
are:

Default Beep
Critical Stop
Asterisk

Each event must have a sound file (.wav) assigned to it to play that
file on the sound event. If no sound file is assigned, there will be no
sound played for the event. You probably should also check under "Sound
Scheme" as to which sound set you are defining sound events. Could be
you were using one sound scheme, but somehow got switched to another.
After I define what sound files I want assigned to which sound events, I
use the Save As button to make sure a sound scheme gets saved with those
settings; else, if the sound scheme gets changed, you won't have a named
sound scheme to revert back to.

You don't mention if any other sounds are heard. Can you hear the audio
in a video when you play the video in whatever player you use? Do other
sound events play a sound? If no sounds are playing, are you using
external speakers that have an external power source, so you have to
make sure those external speakers actually can get power, and that they
are switched on.

Did you check the Sound app to make sure your speakers are selected as
the playback device, that they are not muted, and they have a non-zero
volume level?

Expect duplication in suggested solutions since "obvious spots" only has
meaning to you, not to others from whom you request help.

Re: I've lost the beep!

<XnsAEE48711864F1lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64911&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64911

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 18:16:39 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 18:16 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:p8ytz7uu309e.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My PC lo longer beeps when warning me that I am about to overwrite a
>> file. Where can I look to find a setting for this. I've checked all
>> the obvioius spots already.
>
> Did you check in the Sound Control Panel (mmsys.cpl, or use the old
> Control Panel of control.exe) under Sounds to see if you still have a
> sound event associated with the Default sound event? I'm guessing the
> "beep" you used to hear is the Default Beep sound file ("Windows
> Background.wav"). You need to check if a sound file is associated with
> the sound event played when you overwrite a file -- which presumably is
> when you are using File Explorer, but you didn't say just HOW you are
> overwriting an existing file.
>
> Possible sound events that might be playing on the file overwrite event
> are:
>
> Default Beep
> Critical Stop
> Asterisk
>
> Each event must have a sound file (.wav) assigned to it to play that
> file on the sound event. If no sound file is assigned, there will be
no
> sound played for the event. You probably should also check under
"Sound
> Scheme" as to which sound set you are defining sound events. Could be
> you were using one sound scheme, but somehow got switched to another.
> After I define what sound files I want assigned to which sound events,
I > use the Save As button to make sure a sound scheme gets saved with
those
> settings; else, if the sound scheme gets changed, you won't have a
named
> sound scheme to revert back to.
>
> You don't mention if any other sounds are heard. Can you hear the
audio
> in a video when you play the video in whatever player you use? Do
other
> sound events play a sound? If no sounds are playing, are you using
> external speakers that have an external power source, so you have to
> make sure those external speakers actually can get power, and that they
> are switched on.
>
> Did you check the Sound app to make sure your speakers are selected as
> the playback device, that they are not muted, and they have a non-zero
> volume level?
>
> Expect duplication in suggested solutions since "obvious spots" only
has
> meaning to you, not to others from whom you request help.

When I go to save a file to disk, and the file already exists, a dialog
box pops up asking me if I really want to do this, and a beep used to
sound. [I say beep but it more of a 'bong'] Can you direct me to where I
cn find the options that allow me to assign a sound file to specific
actions. I recall seeing it at one time but am drawing a blank as to
where to find it now. And yes, the speakera work just fine-I usually
listen to a radio station while I am working.

Re: I've lost the beep!

<tc43at$3v9vp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64916&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64916

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 15:12:13 -0500
 by: sticks - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 20:12 UTC

On 7/30/2022 1:16 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> [...]
>> are switched on.
>>
>> Did you check the Sound app to make sure your speakers are selected as
>> the playback device, that they are not muted, and they have a non-zero
>> volume level?
>>
>> Expect duplication in suggested solutions since "obvious spots" only
> has
>> meaning to you, not to others from whom you request help.
>>

> When I go to save a file to disk, and the file already exists, a dialog
> box pops up asking me if I really want to do this, and a beep used to
> sound. [I say beep but it more of a 'bong'] Can you direct me to where I
> cn find the options that allow me to assign a sound file to specific
> actions. I recall seeing it at one time but am drawing a blank as to
> where to find it now. And yes, the speakera work just fine-I usually
> listen to a radio station while I am working.

Settings/System/Sound/Related Settings/Sound Control Panel/Sounds

Re: I've lost the beep!

<1n4vcb7cf6wax.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64930&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64930

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 23:23:09 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 04:23 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I go to save a file to disk, and the file already exists, a
> dialog box pops up asking me if I really want to do this, and a beep
> used to sound. [I say beep but it more of a 'bong'] Can you direct me
> to where I cn find the options that allow me to assign a sound file
> to specific actions. I recall seeing it at one time but am drawing a
> blank as to where to find it now. And yes, the speakera work just
> fine-I usually listen to a radio station while I am working.

Again:

> Did you check in the Sound Control Panel (mmsys.cpl, or use the old
> Control Panel of control.exe) under Sounds to see if you still have a
> sound event associated with the Default sound event? I'm guessing the
> "beep" you used to hear is the Default Beep sound file ("Windows
> Background.wav"). You need to check if a sound file is associated with
> the sound event played.

I don't know what sound event File Manager triggers on a file overwrite
warning. Could be the Asterisk, Default Beep, Exclamation, or other
sound event. If they are not assigned a sound file, you could assign
one, and test for what you hear when you try to overwrite a file. When
you assign a sound file to a sound event, you can click the Test button
to see what the sound sounds like.

You could drill through the Win10 wizards trying to find the Sound
Control applet, or just run mmsys.cpl already mentioned. Then select
the Sounds tab.

Re: I've lost the beep!

<tc5gih$7us8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64933&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64933

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 05:04:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 09:04 UTC

On 7/30/2022 4:12 PM, sticks wrote:
> On 7/30/2022 1:16 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:p8ytz7uu309e.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

>>> Did you check in the Sound Control Panel (mmsys.cpl, or use the old
>>> Control Panel of control.exe) under Sounds to see if you still have a
>>> sound event associated with the Default sound event?  I'm guessing the
>>> "beep" you used to hear is the Default Beep sound file ("Windows
>>> Background.wav").  You need to check if a sound file is associated with
>>> the sound event played when you overwrite a file -- which presumably is
>>> when you are using File Explorer, but you didn't say just HOW you are
>>> overwriting an existing file.
>>>
>>> Possible sound events that might be playing on the file overwrite event
>>> are:
>>>
>>> Default Beep
>>> Critical Stop
>>> Asterisk
>>>
>>> Each event must have a sound file (.wav) assigned to it to play that
>>> file on the sound event.  If no sound file is assigned, there will be
>> no
>>> sound played for the event.  You probably should also check under
>> "Sound
>>> Scheme" as to which sound set you are defining sound events.  Could be
>>> you were using one sound scheme, but somehow got switched to another.
>>> After I define what sound files I want assigned to which sound events,
>>> use the Save As button to make sure a sound scheme gets saved with
>> those
>>> settings; else, if the sound scheme gets changed, you won't have a
>> named
>>> sound scheme to revert back to.
>>>
>>> You don't mention if any other sounds are heard.  Can you hear the
>> audio
>>> in a video when you play the video in whatever player you use?  Do
>> other
>>> sound events play a sound?  If no sounds are playing, are you using
>>> external speakers that have an external power source, so you have to
>>> make sure those external speakers actually can get power, and that they
>>> are switched on.
>>>
>>> Did you check the Sound app to make sure your speakers are selected as
>>> the playback device, that they are not muted, and they have a non-zero
>>> volume level?
>>>
>>> Expect duplication in suggested solutions since "obvious spots" only
>> has
>>> meaning to you, not to others from whom you request help.
>>>

>> When I go to save a file to disk, and the file already exists, a dialog
>> box pops up asking me if I really want to do this, and a beep used to
>> sound. [I say beep but it more of a 'bong'] Can you direct me to where I
>> cn find the options that allow me to assign a sound file to specific
>> actions. I recall seeing it at one time but am drawing a blank as to
>> where to find it now. And yes, the speakera work just fine-I usually
>> listen to a radio station while I am working.
>

> Settings/System/Sound/Related Settings/Sound Control Panel/Sounds

The path to get there, has remained remarkably consistent. A miracle.

https://i.postimg.cc/pT2VfHVq/sounds.gif

The Settings wheel and the App Volume (Volume Mixer)
provides a way to silence the beeps. I could set the System Sounds
to zero and that would be an end to it.

https://i.postimg.cc/HkrCCLnq/app-volume.gif

Paul