From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Way Offic Topic: Sharing files with DOS From VirtualBox
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:42:36 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 20:42 UTC

I have a MSDOS 6.22 VM. I need to be able to copy files from that to my
computer. I also have a VM running Win 3.1 that could also be used. I come
here because there is so much expertise. Could somebody take a look at the
following page and see if the can get me started. I have downloaded all the
files.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Sharing_files_with_DOS

I do have a USB floppy but the VM will only accept copies from it and not
allow me to write to it. This seems to be a standard problem. I can also
read from the computer Cdrom. I also have not had any luck sharing folders.

First question is the client the VM or is it my computer?

As you can see I can not even seem to get started.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Way Offic Topic: Sharing files with DOS From VirtualBox

<tc3rir$3ubrv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64907&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64907

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:59:55 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 17:59 UTC

On 7/29/2022 4:42 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I have a MSDOS 6.22 VM. I need to be able to copy files from that to my
> computer. I also have a VM running Win 3.1 that could also be used. I come
> here because there is so much expertise. Could somebody take a look at the
> following page and see if the can get me started. I have downloaded all the
> files.
>
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Sharing_files_with_DOS
>
> I do have a USB floppy but the VM will only accept copies from it and not
> allow me to write to it. This seems to be a standard problem. I can also
> read from the computer Cdrom. I also have not had any luck sharing folders.
>
> First question is the client the VM or is it my computer?
>
> As you can see I can not even seem to get started.

One of the naming convention, comes from long ago.

That is the "client server architecture".

You could put the server on the Host for example.
The client is the thing that "pulls files from the server".

Take my current setup.

Wallace has the "server" end with the drive S: that I will be sharing.

Some.Guest has the "client" and it accesses the remote storage.

Wallace ------------------ VirtualBox
| |
Shared (335GB) Some.Guest (set up Client here, access
\\Wallace\Shared with Bullwinkle and PSWD)

I don't *have* to do it that way. I could put the
server inside the Guest, but that would be inconvenient,
since the Guest does not run all the time and storing
my files inside the storage of a VM would be silly.
Horridly inefficient. It's not much of a stretch
to see that serving the files from Wallace (which is
running all the time), I can turn on BlueWave any time
and access files on Wallace.

(Server)
BlueWave ------- Wallace ------- VirtualBox
(Client) | |
Shared (335GB) Some.Guest (Client)

XXXXXXXXXX YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Computer#1 Computer#2

I can see Shared (S: ) everywhere.

Mapping a drive letter makes some amount of sense in
a place like MSDOS, as you're in a very primitive environment
and need do do stuff with command line invocation.

But good luck getting all that to work. On Wallace,
running Windows 10, I would have to turn on in
Programs and Features : Windows Features

Automatic Removal <=== UNTICK THIS BOX
SMB 1.0/CIFS Client <=== included for flexibility later
SMB 1.0/CIFS Server <=== what I really want

Don't expect \\Wallace\Shared to work. You might need
\\192.168.1.4\Shared

The NetBIOS doesn't always work. Despite picking the flies off it.

*******

This is my typical VirtualBox setup, for networking.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/Pxy8ctCL/my-virtualbox-networking.gif

Paul

Re: Way Offic Topic: Sharing files with DOS From VirtualBox

<jknq4tFlc3aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64945

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 08:49:31 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 16:49 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 7/29/2022 4:42 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> I have a MSDOS 6.22 VM. I need to be able to copy files from that
>> to my computer. I also have a VM running Win 3.1 that could also be
>> used. I come here because there is so much expertise. Could
>> somebody take a look at the following page and see if the can get me
>> started. I have downloaded all the files.
>>
>> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Sharing_files_with_DOS
>>
>> I do have a USB floppy but the VM will only accept copies from it
>> and not allow me to write to it. This seems to be a standard
>> problem. I can also read from the computer Cdrom. I also have not
>> had any luck sharing folders. First question is the client the VM or is
>> it my computer?
>>
>> As you can see I can not even seem to get started.
>>

> One of the naming convention, comes from long ago.
>
> That is the "client server architecture".
>
> You could put the server on the Host for example.
> The client is the thing that "pulls files from the server".
>
> Take my current setup.
>
> Wallace has the "server" end with the drive S: that I will be sharing.
>
> Some.Guest has the "client" and it accesses the remote storage.
>
> Wallace ------------------ VirtualBox
> | |
> Shared (335GB) Some.Guest (set up Client here, access
> \\Wallace\Shared with
> Bullwinkle and PSWD)
> I don't *have* to do it that way. I could put the
> server inside the Guest, but that would be inconvenient,
> since the Guest does not run all the time and storing
> my files inside the storage of a VM would be silly.
> Horridly inefficient. It's not much of a stretch
> to see that serving the files from Wallace (which is
> running all the time), I can turn on BlueWave any time
> and access files on Wallace.
>
> (Server)
> BlueWave ------- Wallace ------- VirtualBox
> (Client) | |
> Shared (335GB) Some.Guest (Client)
>
> XXXXXXXXXX YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
> Computer#1 Computer#2
>
> I can see Shared (S: ) everywhere.
>
> Mapping a drive letter makes some amount of sense in
> a place like MSDOS, as you're in a very primitive environment
> and need do do stuff with command line invocation.
>
> But good luck getting all that to work. On Wallace,
> running Windows 10, I would have to turn on in
> Programs and Features : Windows Features
>
> Automatic Removal <=== UNTICK THIS BOX
> SMB 1.0/CIFS Client <=== included for flexibility later
> SMB 1.0/CIFS Server <=== what I really want
>
> Don't expect \\Wallace\Shared to work. You might need
> \\192.168.1.4\Shared
>
> The NetBIOS doesn't always work. Despite picking the flies off it.
>
> *******
>
> This is my typical VirtualBox setup, for networking.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Pxy8ctCL/my-virtualbox-networking.gif
>
> Paul

I think I am getting closer and I did finally come across the info about
SMB. I am going to take a break today. I may be back with more questions.

<Bill>